M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Leave car keys ‘at front door’ for your safety

03-15-2024, 09:05 AM   #1
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Leave car keys ‘at front door’ for your safety

Leave car keys ‘at front door’ to avoid violent confrontations with car thieves: Toronto Police
March 14, 2024
Toronto Police are being heavily criticized online for what many consider a shoulder-shrugging approach to the rash of car thefts that continue to plague the Greater Toronto Area.
At an Etobicoke safety meeting last month, Cst. Marco Ricciardi advised residents to leave their key fobs in a faraday pouch in a convenient place for thieves as a way to lessen the risk of violent confrontations.
“To prevent the possibility of being attacked in your home, leave your fobs at the front door because they are breaking into your home to steal your car; they don’t want anything else.
“A lot of them that they’re arresting have guns on them and they are not toy guns,” he ominously added. “They are real guns. They’re loaded.”

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2024/03/...oronto-police/

No this is not the Onion or the Babylon Bee, it is the Toronto City News.
Appreciate 3
eugenebmw1479.00
Llarry15968.00
      03-15-2024, 09:41 AM   #2
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

The faraday pouch will block thieves from using electronic tools to boost the signal from your keyless fob to attempt to steal your car. So police advice to use this is a good idea.

If they escalate by breaking into your house to look for the keys, then it may be better for them to find it at the front door than to walk all over your house looking for it and increasing risk of confrontation with people inside that could become lethal.

This is akin to common police advice that if someone pulls a gun on you asking for your wallet/purse, rather than risking further confrontation, you should just give them what they ask for because your life is worth more.

Consistent and common sense advice to me.
Appreciate 1
a5m614.00
      03-15-2024, 09:46 AM   #3
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
LOL, or thieves can FAFO
Appreciate 3
      03-15-2024, 09:46 AM   #4
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The faraday pouch will block thieves from using electronic tools to boost the signal from your keyless fob to attempt to steal your car. So police advice to use this is a good idea.

If they escalate by breaking into your house to look for the keys, then it may be better for them to find it at the front door than to walk all over your house looking for it and increasing risk of confrontation with people inside that could become lethal.

This is akin to common police advice that if someone pulls a gun on you asking for your wallet/purse, rather than risking further confrontation, you should just give them what they ask for because your life is worth more.

I would also leave food and water at the door in case the thieves are angered by a lack of proper and free nutrition. It's idiots that make it hard for people to steal that are messing things up for everyone else. What if a thief trips and falls while looking around your house? Leave the key out guys. Don't let these thieves get injured trying to steal from you.
Appreciate 10
DocL1930.00
a5m614.00
eugenebmw1479.00
nunzo760.50
Joachim328.00
M5Rick60069.50
Autobacs1358.50
Davil6524.50
      03-15-2024, 10:08 AM   #5
dailym340i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i X-Drive Exc Pkg

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
LOL, or thieves can FAFO
In Canada, you cannot defend yourself, your family or your home with firearms or weapons of any kind. The exception is, you can only respond with “adequate” force if it’s your last option. If you do this, you will spend tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to extract yourself of legal consequence. Even then, you may not come out of it unscathed.

In reality, this country has become a safe haven for criminals of all types, most of them committing these actions brazenly and in broad daylight. There is little to no fear of consequences. Those who do get caught and face charges, usually receive a slap on the wrist and resume their “career” fairly quickly.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 11:06 AM   #6
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Wait a minute. I thought Canada has strict gun laws. how do the thieves have guns. Loaded!
nunzo760.50
Autobacs1358.50
c1pher4671.50
      03-15-2024, 11:25 AM   #7
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailym340i View Post
In Canada, you cannot defend yourself, your family or your home with firearms or weapons of any kind. The exception is, you can only respond with “adequate” force if it’s your last option. If you do this, you will spend tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to extract yourself of legal consequence. Even then, you may not come out of it unscathed.

In reality, this country has become a safe haven for criminals of all types, most of them committing these actions brazenly and in broad daylight. There is little to no fear of consequences. Those who do get caught and face charges, usually receive a slap on the wrist and resume their “career” fairly quickly.
If you fear for yours or your families safety or life you can use what ever force is necessary including a firearm to protect yourself. Section 34 of the criminal code and Bill C-26 clarifies it. You will definitely have a rough ride but there is ample case law for people defending themselves with firearms in Canada. The average response time for 911 calls in Toronto now is 22 minutes, there's an old expression, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/...-rlddp/p5.html

Last edited by Murf the Surf; 03-15-2024 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 6
eugenebmw1479.00
M5Rick60069.50
c1pher4671.50
Canuck335151.00
      03-15-2024, 11:28 AM   #8
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I would also leave food and water at the door in case the thieves are angered by a lack of proper and free nutrition. It's idiots that make it hard for people to steal that are messing things up for everyone else. What if a thief trips and falls while looking around your house? Leave the key out guys. Don't let these thieves get injured trying to steal from you.
It's only a couple years ago that this would be considered obvious sarcasm, now not so easy.

I'm looking at a low mileage X5 xDrive40i if you have one of these please post your address, I'll be by to pick it up next week.
Appreciate 5
gblansten1976.50
eugenebmw1479.00
nunzo760.50
M5Rick60069.50
      03-15-2024, 11:28 AM   #9
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I suspect that was what the officer meant, however TPS is walking back the comments. The fact is this sickens me, car theft in Toronto is up 500% in the last few years, this is a failure of the entire system, we have lost the plot when the advice is to make things easier for home invaders. He goes on to say in his comment that the people getting arrested for these offences are often armed. This is a failure on the parts of the courts, the government and the TPS act like they have given up. You don't know why anyone is kicking in your front door so to assume they only want your car keys is wrong headed. The average response time to a 911 call in Toronto now is 22 minutes, I'm here to tell you that's a lifetime. My advice is be prepared to defend yourself and your family and don't rely on the police.
Appreciate 4
eugenebmw1479.00
T0RM3NT3642.00
      03-15-2024, 01:44 PM   #10
JayML
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

My neighbor had his car stolen at 3:45AM. The thief was waiting at a light after stealing it. A police officer saw him, looked at the plate. Realized the Plate belonged to a Doctor. Hmmm, why is a doctor out at 345am? started following him. Thief takes off in the stolen car, gets on the highway. Cop just let him go. Said they are not allowed to pursue unless there is a specific reason. The thief knew by getting on the highway the cop wouldn't follow him , as it would become a high speed chase and endanger others. Cop knew something was not right, and yet STILL did nothing.

Yes this is real life in Canada.
Appreciate 3
      03-15-2024, 02:12 PM   #11
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
It's only a couple years ago that this would be considered obvious sarcasm, now not so easy.

I'm looking at a low mileage X5 xDrive40i if you have one of these please post your address, I'll be by to pick it up next week.
I got phone calls every week telling me i am the american most wanted and need to call this number!!! They are getting very creative
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60069.50
      03-15-2024, 02:16 PM   #12
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayML View Post
My neighbor had his car stolen at 3:45AM. The thief was waiting at a light after stealing it. A police officer saw him, looked at the plate. Realized the Plate belonged to a Doctor. Hmmm, why is a doctor out at 345am? started following him. Thief takes off in the stolen car, gets on the highway. Cop just let him go. Said they are not allowed to pursue unless there is a specific reason. The thief knew by getting on the highway the cop wouldn't follow him , as it would become a high speed chase and endanger others. Cop knew something was not right, and yet STILL did nothing.

Yes, this is what Canadian called freedom of right and everyone is abusing it
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60069.50
      03-15-2024, 02:30 PM   #13
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

You Canadians better be careful on here. Baby Fidel is working on up to life in prison for what they determine to be harmful speech.

Y'all f'd.
We've got hope.
      03-15-2024, 02:48 PM   #14
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I almost wish I lived in one of these areas. I honestly think it'd be fun.

Last edited by ///MPhatic; 03-15-2024 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2024, 02:59 PM   #15
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
You Canadians better be careful on here. Baby Fidel is working on up to life in prison for what they determine to be harmful speech.

Y'all f'd.
We've got hope.
Not wrong. Trudeau will freeze your bank account for disagreeing with his dictatorship.
Appreciate 5
eugenebmw1479.00
M5Rick60069.50
TboneS541043.00
      03-15-2024, 03:08 PM   #16
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Quote:

If they broke into my house, they would find lead and lots of it, but you guys in Canuckland don't have that option, sad deal. Crooks have rights and the victims none.
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2024, 04:00 PM   #17
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
If they broke into my house, they would find lead and lots of it, but you guys in Canuckland don't have that option, sad deal. Crooks have rights and the victims none.
You might want to read through this. Use of constitutional carry and use of deadly force is never as clear as it seems and always undeserable.

https://events.usconcealedcarry.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 04:10 PM   #18
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
You might want to read through this. Use of constitutional carry and use of deadly force is never as clear as it seems and always undeserable.

https://events.usconcealedcarry.com/
Where I live, they come through the door, they get what they deserve and pretty much everyone in this county feels the same way. It would be annoying dealing with mess in the doorway.
Appreciate 1
mjj163.00
      03-15-2024, 04:33 PM   #19
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We don't have "stand your ground laws" but you are absolutely within your rights to defend yourself and your family. You just need to be smart and lawyer up. You're going to get a rough ride but case law is on your side.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 04:46 PM   #20
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Trust case law with these activists in a robe?
Pffftt

Make a hole then have a few stiff drinks.
      03-15-2024, 06:16 PM   #21
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayML View Post

Same over here in the great state of Washington. The brightest of the bright deemed it an upliftment of society not to allow the Police to engage in high speed pursuits of criminals. Dumb asses most of them for sure.
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2024, 08:12 PM   #22
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Where I live, they come through the door, they get what they deserve and pretty much everyone in this county feels the same way. It would be annoying dealing with mess in the doorway.
FL is the same. We have great castle and stand your ground laws. Not smart tone around in FL, you'll find out and it'll be the last thing you find out. And you'll be totally legally protected.
Appreciate 2
Autobacs1358.50