M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Official BMW M8 Quotes, Pricing and Lease Rates Thread

05-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #89
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da808dad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Use tax is tax on the monthly payment common on leases. It's tax rate on payment. Sure better than having to pay entire tax of vehicle on lease like in some states.
Errr, isn't that what I said... perhaps you're just agreeing with me.

Agreed on the upfront alternative.
Yes agreeing with you! I was responding to other guys who was complaining about the use tax. I was saying better than some states where you pay full tax on msrp on leases.
Got it.

I think NY state has to pay everything upfront which is literally the opposite of the whole point of a lease.

Then there's Alaska—> zero tax. Almost makes me want to live there. Almost.
Don't you live in Washington State? What if you were to go down to Oregon and lease/purchase a car? Don't know how the usage tax is different there but I would think sales tax (lack of in Oregon) would make a huge difference?

I know before, folks in Hawaii used to go to Oregon to buy new cars because of no sales tax and then ship the car back here. But they changed Hawaii laws a few years ago and now you have to pay the sales tax on any new car being shipped in from out of state through a cargo shipping company. The shipping companies won't release the car down at the dock unless you pay the state sales tax. When the state first changed this requirement and folks didn't realize the change, they were getting screwed. One of my friends told me he was down at the dock to pick up a boat he had shipped through Matson here and a guy had bought a brand new MB in Cali and had it shipped here. Matson told him they wouldn't release the car to him until he paid the Hawaii sales tax and the guy was arguing with them that he already paid the Cali tax when he bought the car so shouldn't have to pay Hawaii sales tax on top of that.

The only way around this is to buy a car on the mainland and keep it up there for a month or so to get regular non-temp tags and then ship it here as at that point they no longer consider it a new car and the new law doesn't require used cars to follow the same.
You pay tax based on where you live
      05-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #90
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Don't you live in Washington State? What if you were to go down to Oregon and lease/purchase a car? Don't know how the usage tax is different there but I would think sales tax (lack of in Oregon) would make a huge difference?
General rule of thumb via auto retail installment contracts and lease agreements is that taxation is based on residence not where point of sale occurs. A dealer that is out of state should not not charge tax because it might not be a reciprocal state (where they would collect and remit to the other state) but instead they do a one way MSO and let the buyer pay tax when he/she registers the car in their state. This is for retail contracts.

So Dean (Limey) in your question could go to Oregon but he would still pay tax on the payment based on his garage address via the lease agreement.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
      05-08-2020, 02:31 PM   #91
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
We always roll the tax/reg into the payments so there is no overpayment on pull aheads, something we do on every MB. Pull aheads seem more rare in the BMW world.
MN pays sales tax on the lease portion...
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #92
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:
General rule of thumb via auto retail installment contracts and lease agreements is that taxation is based on residence not where point of sale occurs. A dealer that is out of state should not not charge tax because it might not be a reciprocal state (where they would collect and remit to the other state) but instead they do a one way MSO and let the buyer pay tax when he/she registers the car in their state. This is for retail contracts.

So Dean (Limey) in your question could go to Oregon but he would still pay tax on the payment based on his garage address via the lease agreement.
Correct—and as Vic knows, that's exactly what happens every time I get a new car. So far I've done CA, TX, NY and CO with CA being the clear repeat-buy winner.
Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
      05-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #93
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Use tax is tax on the monthly payment common on leases. It's tax rate on payment. Sure better than having to pay entire tax of vehicle on lease like in some states.

Yes agreeing with you! I was responding to other guys who was complaining about the use tax. I was saying better than some states where you pay full tax on msrp on leases.
Got it.

I think NY state has to pay everything upfront which is literally the opposite of the whole point of a lease.

I know before, folks in Hawaii used to go to Oregon to buy new cars because of no sales tax and then ship the car back here. But they changed Hawaii laws a few years ago and now you have to pay the sales tax on any new car being shipped in from out of state through a cargo shipping company. The shipping companies won't release the car down at the dock unless you pay the state sales tax. When the state first changed this requirement and folks didn't realize the change, they were getting screwed. One of my friends told me he was down at the dock to pick up a boat he had shipped through Matson here and a guy had bought a brand new MB in Cali and had it shipped here. Matson told him they wouldn't release the car to him until he paid the Hawaii sales tax and the guy was arguing with them that he already paid the Cali tax when he bought the car so shouldn't have to pay Hawaii sales tax on top of that.

The only way around this is to buy a car on the mainland and keep it up there for a month or so to get regular non-temp tags and then ship it here as at that point they no longer consider it a new car and the new law doesn't require used cars to follow the same.
Auto lease taxes in Texas is practice not law. The lessor/owner (dealership) of the property is responsible for the tax, the lease contract is not subject to tax. BMW just passes the full tax to the lessee so they don't incur the costs.
Appreciate 3
LSM1118.00
soooma1373.00
      05-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #94
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belugs View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Got it.

Auto lease taxes in Texas is practice not law. The lessor/owner (dealership) of the property is responsible for the tax, the lease contract is not subject to tax. BMW just passes the full tax to the lessee so they don't incur the costs.
Attached is from the finance dept of the Texas comptroller of public accounts. Read inside the red boundaries. If u lease the car from out of state. You only pay use tax on the lease amount.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #95
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Got it.

Attached is from the finance dept of the Texas comptroller of public accounts. Read inside the red boundaries. If u lease the car from out of state. You only pay use tax on the lease amount.
Yup. That reflects what has happened to me with TX leases 3 times now.
Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
      05-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #96
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I guess the guy who bought the MB and my friend heard arguing with Matson either got totally screwed one way or another, had no idea what he was talking about, or was trying to pull a fast one.

I wonder if this out of state tax rule only applies to cars or if other stuff such as boats also. I know when I bought my boat in Vegas and had it shipped to Hawaii, the dealer I bought it from in Vegas gave me the option to pay the tax on it upfront based on Nevada tax rate or when I register it in Hawaii. They actually told me it was better to pay the tax on it in Hawaii since Hawaii tax rate is like half of Nevada's. However, boats here in Hawaii aren't registered to the DMV (only the trailer is) and so there was no one to pay the tax to here in Hawaii as the department I register the boat only charges a set $115 fee ($60 for the boat and $55 for ramp usage).
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 04:36 PM   #97
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I guess the guy who bought the MB and my friend heard arguing with Matson either got totally screwed one way or another, had no idea what he was talking about, or was trying to pull a fast one.

I wonder if this out of state tax rule only applies to cars or if other stuff such as boats also. I know when I bought my boat in Vegas and had it shipped to Hawaii, the dealer I bought it from in Vegas gave me the option to pay the tax on it upfront based on Nevada tax rate or when I register it in Hawaii. They actually told me it was better to pay the tax on it in Hawaii since Hawaii tax rate is like half of Nevada's. However, boats here in Hawaii aren't registered to the DMV (only the trailer is) and so there was no one to pay the tax to here in Hawaii as the department I register the boat only charges a set $115 fee ($60 for the boat and $55 for ramp usage).

I only know about auto--- not sure about boats and other luxury items/recreation items.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 05:09 PM   #98
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I believe it applies to other property other than auto. Here is the link if you want to look into it. May have to copy and paste in your browser.

https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_p loc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=34&pt=1&ch=3&rl=294
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #99
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I believe it applies to other property other than auto. Here is the link if you want to look into it. May have to copy and paste in your browser.

https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_p loc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=34&pt=1&ch=3&rl=294
Thanks but I think he is referring to his state not Texas.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #100
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Oh ok got it.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 05:43 PM   #101
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Lol yup.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 01:19 AM   #102
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Updated with June program.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 3
limeypride4418.50
soooma1373.00
      06-03-2020, 01:21 AM   #103
GreenLantern
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Updated with June program.
Thank you for keeping us always up to date. It is very, very much appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #104
stealth-twntrbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 740xi

M8 CV now has 5,000 mile per year lease option on convertible only. +6% to base residual.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2020, 01:24 AM   #105
o.salazar21
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

M8 lease deal proposal

Hello everyone need your intake does this sound like a good deal or you guys feel that I can do better?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-28-2020, 01:26 AM   #106
o.salazar21
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Pictures of the potential deal

Below are the price quotes for the lease. Thanks for your help guys!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-30-2020, 01:34 AM   #107
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.salazar21 View Post
Below are the price quotes for the lease. Thanks for your help guys!
I can't do math at 2 am, but that's close to 20% off sticker? That's probably a good deal on a custom order. Maybe just an average deal if the car has been on the lot more than 30-60 days. Still acceptable I think.

It's probably similar to this one:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6602/overview/

So it's available everywhere for that price. Approximately 160 bmw m8 competition coupes 2020 on the ground here in lots.
Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
      06-30-2020, 01:46 AM   #108
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

For comparisons, my $140k car is selling for roughly $84k. So you can always find one with less than 2000 miles for almost half of sticker brand new less than 1 year later.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7250/overview/

If you're leasing, you probably can't afford to buy a used one. But if you can, I'd advice you to get one with 2000-3000 miles on it.
Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
      07-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #109
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Updated with July program -- no changes.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #110
Eli550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i M Sport

Can someone guide me on how to get a deal like this in California? I need a car ASAP and am leaning towards an M8 GC