M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Cupholder noise

10-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
mborecki
Rep
Drives: BMW 8

Cupholder noise

I am looking for any suggestion in this topic because I had this problem from last few months and it's so so annoying.

Please refer this video and listen:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv6q5qck18...older.mov?dl=0

Does anyone have an idea what may be to blame - this is the sound I hear at speeds above 50 km / h.

any suggestion appreciated.

PS: you can see on the video when I hold cups noise stops...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
mborecki that would be very irritating. No issues with mine. I think you’re headed back to the dealer for them to remove and see if there is a loose tightener or seal that has come apart.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
Baron G15
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G15 8 Series, Audi Q8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborecki View Post
I am looking for any suggestion in this topic because I had this problem from last few months and it's so so annoying.

Please refer this video and listen:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv6q5qck18...older.mov?dl=0

Does anyone have an idea what may be to blame - this is the sound I hear at speeds above 50 km / h.

any suggestion appreciated.

PS: you can see on the video when I hold cups noise stops...
Yep, that’s frustrating....there’s a few wires under there (USB, Charge mat etc,) so probably something’s not sitting right and causing that rattle.

Rattles are a pet peeve of mine and I have to say I’m not overly impressed with how the interior of my G15 is put together. I’ve had a few panels off chasing rattles, and there simply isn’t enough felt tape / / anti vibration material used to minimize these problems....

I’ve had a number of rattles coming from the rear deck area...one was from the foldable rear seat (the screw with a rubber stop on the end had broken)...A nasty vibration which turned out to be coming from the roof mounted third brake light (I’m surprised that others haven’t had problems here as I can tell from the design that it’s likely to cause rattles)....and the most bizarre one was the side panels of the rear seats (where the speakers are)....that turned out to be the trunk. The trunk support arms have plastic covers on them and they rattle....when you close the trunk lid, they retract into the space behind the rear seat side walls, which brought the rattle inside the cabin.

I’ve also got an Audi Q8 and the interior fit is unbelievably good....not a single, squeak, rattle or buzz. BMW could really learn a thing or two from the Q8 on how to make a quiet cabin
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
mborecki
Rep
Drives: BMW 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron G15 View Post
Yep, that’s frustrating....there’s a few wires under there (USB, Charge mat etc,) so probably something’s not sitting right and causing that rattle.

Rattles are a pet peeve of mine and I have to say I’m not overly impressed with how the interior of my G15 is put together. I’ve had a few panels off chasing rattles, and there simply isn’t enough felt tape / / anti vibration material used to minimize these problems....

I’ve had a number of rattles coming from the rear deck area...one was from the foldable rear seat (the screw with a rubber stop on the end had broken)...A nasty vibration which turned out to be coming from the roof mounted third brake light (I’m surprised that others haven’t had problems here as I can tell from the design that it’s likely to cause rattles)....and the most bizarre one was the side panels of the rear seats (where the speakers are)....that turned out to be the trunk. The trunk support arms have plastic covers on them and they rattle....when you close the trunk lid, they retract into the space behind the rear seat side walls, which brought the rattle inside the cabin.

I’ve also got an Audi Q8 and the interior fit is unbelievably good....not a single, squeak, rattle or buzz. BMW could really learn a thing or two from the Q8 on how to make a quiet cabin
Thank you very very much for that. If you have any photo insight what and how to fix please send me PM I will be very very happy. I want to fix what I can here.

In another thread here I am showing this video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lj8b9nguwm...speed.mov?dl=0

maybe you can help me also here - maybe you have something similar.
for now it's "only" two places with issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #5
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

They have replaced mine twice, tore out the entire center console and tunnel and it comes back every time I place a cup into the holder. Not sure what they did the third time but it is better. Btw same issue in X3M. Bad design, terrible for vehicles that cost this much.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      10-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
That is annoying and something is definitely wrong with the OP's console/cupholder assembly. Rattles, noise, etc. is a pet peeve of mine and thankfully so far in the M850i nothing exists to date. The irony may be that the only cup in my cup holder is a BMW coffee mug (bought several plus other items with the $500 store credit included in the deal).

This experience only translates when the wife is in the car and so far (knock on wood) not a single rattle, etc. whatsoever from any source. On the flip side when I'm alone in the car with the glorious B&W pumping at 40%+ volume the entire cup holder assembly could be rattling away and I'd never know it.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #7
sfy2905
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i GC

Well, time to chime in. I have had my 2020 850i GC for 6 months, with no problems...except a rattle that has been there since the car was delivered. Initially, I thought it was the sunroof cartridge assembly rattling at times when going over rough road or bumps. I have checked that the best I could and it seems to be tight and in tact, sunroof and roller cover open or closed. Lately, paying more close attention, it seems to be coming from inside the dash and I have tried pushing down (checking for loose fits) the head up display, B&W audio parts and the perforated metal pieces on the top of the dash behind the stand up video screen, with no luck. It seems to be deeper in the dash. I have not taken it back in for anything and only have about 2,900 miles. I know that they will say they can't find anything if I do take it in, or it will return with more noises.

Has anyone had a similar rattle?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #8
Baron G15
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfy2905 View Post
Well, time to chime in. I have had my 2020 850i GC for 6 months, with no problems...except a rattle that has been there since the car was delivered. Initially, I thought it was the sunroof cartridge assembly rattling at times when going over rough road or bumps. I have checked that the best I could and it seems to be tight and in tact, sunroof and roller cover open or closed. Lately, paying more close attention, it seems to be coming from inside the dash and I have tried pushing down (checking for loose fits) the head up display, B&W audio parts and the perforated metal pieces on the top of the dash behind the stand up video screen, with no luck. It seems to be deeper in the dash. I have not taken it back in for anything and only have about 2,900 miles. I know that they will say they can't find anything if I do take it in, or it will return with more noises.

Has anyone had a similar rattle?
Try the dome light assembly (the one that houses the SOS button)...when you hear the rattle, just push on it.
There’s a lot of reflective surfaces in a car and often the rattle is not coming from where you initially think (you thought the sunroof, and now the dash)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #9
sfy2905
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i GC

Baron G15, thanks for the tip. I tried that, and while there is some give to the plastic pieces there, the rattle is still with me.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #10
Baron G15
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfy2905 View Post
Baron G15, thanks for the tip. I tried that, and while there is some give to the plastic pieces there, the rattle is still with me.
Thought it was worth a try....sometimes those rattles aren’t where you think....I had a terrible buzz in the the passenger door when playing music with a heavy bass....was driving me nuts for weeks. Turned out that when I’d had the car detailed they’d put paper floor mats in the footwell and it was flapping against the under-seat subwoofer 😂😂
Appreciate 0