M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 840 vs M4

10-21-2020, 12:58 PM   #23
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Apparently I have a problem with new shiny things.
My wife told me the same thing every time I get another car... I refuse to listen though
      10-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #24
BKgreyinTX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
I'm partial to the V8 as well. The problem is that my wallet is partial to the 6. I definitely need to go drive one though.
I have an 840i GC. Test drove the M850, but the price difference for the increased performance for a DD, that I would never track, just didn't make sense. With that said, I have had a lot of fun weaving and "racing" along the highways and leaving people in the dust! IMHO it gets plenty of power and pickup for its size.
Appreciate 1
snareman8959.50
      10-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #25
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx8GC View Post
I have an 840i GC. Test drove the M850, but the price difference for the increased performance for a DD, that I would never track, just didn't make sense. With that said, I have had a lot of fun weaving and "racing" along the highways and leaving people in the dust! IMHO it gets plenty of power and pickup for its size.
Good to hear positive thoughts from another 840 owner.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2020, 02:00 AM   #26
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

Quote:
Thanks for the comment. Good to here an opinion from someone with an 840. Part of me feels like I am buying the equivalent of a 328 but then I realize, this is a $100,000 car. How would you describe the handling difference?
As you can see from this board, it is a strange comparison you are trying to make. The only perspective and advice I can provide is to get really clear what you want and why. As I said originally, the 840i is no M4, and so if you are looking for that level of performance and handling, you will be disappointed.

In my case, I was moving back to the UK after 14 years in the USA. Having driven my two F80s for six years from the cold climes of Ohio to the humdity of Alabama and the oppressive heat of Arizona, I was looking for something more executive and comfortable - but because of that F80 experience, I didn't want to be driving what felt like a log. I had already researched Stage 1 tunes before I bought the car and was sure I would both need and want one.

With this as a backdrop then, my expectations have far been exceeded. The car is quick. It accelerates well and keeps pulling hard. I haven't at this point felt the need for that Stage 1 tune.

In terms of handling, again it is probably not a good idea to make an M4 comparison. They are different beasts. I have the GC, and I believe it is the widest car BMW makes and only just shorter than the X7. I find a slight tendency to understeer, which is quite noticable in the tighter roundabouts here in the UK. As you turn the steering wheel right the car feels like it wants to go straight on for a moment, and probably goes some way to explain some of the tyre scrub being observed (described in another thread). However, I didn't buy this car to throw it into corners like the F80, and so again, it doesn't diappoint me. I am still more pleased about how it performs overall.

One final point of note I have found interesting. I don't know whether it is the Frozen Bluestone paint, or the fact that the 8 series are more rare over here, or both, but I get way more looks and admiration in this than I ever got in the M3. I literally have people following me taking photos of it, pointing from the side of the street and in the most extreme case, a guy pulled along side me on the highway, lowered his windows and shouted, "That car is f@$k!ng awesome."
Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:39 AM   #27
BKgreyinTX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post

One final point of note I have found interesting. I don't know whether it is the Frozen Bluestone paint, or the fact that the 8 series are more rare over here, or both, but I get way more looks and admiration in this than I ever got in the M3. I literally have people following me taking photos of it, pointing from the side of the street and in the most extreme case, a guy pulled along side me on the highway, lowered his windows and shouted, "That car is f@$k!ng awesome."
I call it the 8 series effect, lol! Had one guy pull over into the starbucks lot as I was turning out to take pics. Another guy almost wrecked his 4GC on the highway to get a look at mine. I even get giddy when I see other 8's here in Dallas. Not an everyday occurrence like it was in my 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #28
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post

I call it the 8 series effect, lol! Had one guy pull over into the starbucks lot as I was turning out to take pics. Another guy almost wrecked his 4GC on the highway to get a look at mine. I even get giddy when I see other 8's here in Dallas. Not an everyday occurrence like it was in my 5 series.
My sister's neighbor has an F83 and the first time I drove by with my M8 he turned and stared as I drove by, his jaw was on the pavement. haha
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:30 PM   #29
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the comments. It doesn't really sounds like there is much new and different 20 vs 21 model so it doesn't seem I'd be missing out on much if I went with a 20. I don't have or need to wait til April. It was just my thought that if I got a 21 that would be the safe post winter time to get one. I suppose if I could find an 850 with the specs I wanted now, especially if the prices on them were good I'd consider doing it now. But you are saying there are only 16 new 20's left in the country to be sold? How do you know the numbers? I'd much prefer the 850 over 840, just depends on how expensive it starts getting.

Edit: my plan was to order the car anyway so I am sure to get the specs I want.
Yes, unlike the 2019 to 2020 M850i in which BMW changed the packages to include options on the 2019s (e.g., Comfort Seating) to standard on the 2020s nothing has changed with the 2021s outside of one feature. Basically, in the 2021 ordering guide everything is the same as a 2020 outside of the new new iDrive support for iOS digitial keys. BMW launched that feature in July for iDrive 7 (with accompanying NFC hardware) so all 2021 M850is should include it.

As for to check inventory on the ground I use cars.com. You can search by manufacturer, year and model along with any distance from your zip code to find the inventory. It's pretty accurate minus any sales that the dealers haven't updated or inbound cars not added (most dealers keep this up to date).
Appreciate 1
snareman8959.50
      10-22-2020, 10:42 PM   #30
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Same logic I used although albeit slightly different in my decision of a 2020 M850i over a 2020 M8. I have the same fun on the highways but more so the on ramps as I've had many challenge on that as during rush hour we have traffic lights on the bottom of the ramp to regulate traffic. However, everyone knows that if cars are not backed up at the bottom of the ramp you can drive through the light as it instantly turns green in doing so and everyone else starts the red/green throttling. I've yet to lose that race once against all types of competitors as the M850i is a beast in a 10 to 20 MPH rolling race onto the onramp.
Appreciate 0