BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8

10-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
jh00@aol.com
Private
Rep
Drives: F90

M8

Anyone know where the USB ports are for charging. All I have in my car is USB C in the back center console and in the arm rest. There is one USB charger near the charging pad but that is the only one? How do I charge other devices specifically in the back seats?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
Jenner
///M
Rep
Drives: M8C/Taycan Turbo/Roadster 2.0

Garage List
I use a 2 USB port 12v power port (cig lighter) adapter with a 3ft cable in the middle armrest to feed my daughters devices. You can close the two doors and they don't pinch the USB cable.

They really overlooked the backseat in the M8 (at least in my convertible): No heated seats, no AC or heating vents, no LED lighting (just the speakers) no power ports. I'm shocked they bothered to put speakers there. For the price and for the "8 series" there are a lot of things that don't make sense or are missing...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
jh00@aol.com
Private
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
I use a 2 USB port 12v power port (cig lighter) adapter with a 3ft cable in the middle armrest to feed my daughters devices. You can close the two doors and they don't pinch the USB cable.

They really overlooked the backseat in the M8 (at least in my convertible): No heated seats, no AC or heating vents, no LED lighting (just the speakers) no power ports. I'm shocked they bothered to put speakers there. For the price and for the "8 series" there are a lot of things that don't make sense or are missing...
Seems like such a pain in the butt. They give usb c but how does that help anything? That's the part that goes into the device. The other end should be usb in order to plug in for power. Really stupid.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh00@aol.com View Post
Seems like such a pain in the butt. They give usb c but how does that help anything? That's the part that goes into the device. The other end should be usb in order to plug in for power. Really stupid.
Just buy a USB C - USB C cable like the rest of us?

M
Appreciate 1
Flamingi529.50
      10-19-2020, 05:20 PM   #5
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

A simple and cheap solution that works just fine:

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...iX/ECE/03_5167
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh00@aol.com View Post
Quote:

USB-C is more than merely the physical socket. Modern laptops and phones will provide charging solutions that include USB-C on both ends—it's a truly game-changing advance because of its versatility, throughput and charging capabilities. For legacy USB in your car, that requires either 1) a dongle to convert it or 2) that you use the older USB socket in the wireless charging bay.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      10-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #7
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Yes here's to USB C. Aside from the fact it is way faster, there are two other big advantages. The first is it can deliver 100W of power - so fast fast charging. And secondly there is no wrong way to insert a USB C plug unlike traditional USB or micro USB - this is really important for everyone down under who always get things back to front.

Practically the only device which does not utilise USB C these days is the iPhone (including the last model). So that is why BMW added the wireless charging bay.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 09:53 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
USB-C is more than merely the physical socket. Modern laptops and phones will provide charging solutions that include USB-C on both ends—it's a truly game-changing advance because of its versatility, throughput and charging capabilities. For legacy USB in your car, that requires either 1) a dongle to convert it or 2) that you use the older USB socket in the wireless charging bay.
You just nerded out on the value of USB-C. Totally agree on the game changing to the point that even Apple gave up their proprietary "lightening" and adopted USB-C. I've been on-board with USB-C for a couple of years now so it's inclusion in the 8-series was welcomed and runs my SSD in the console for high rez FLAC to drive the B&W audio. Granted it is just me in the car so I do not have to deal with passengers that need legacy USB connectivity. However, there are hundreds of adapters (and hubs if you need more than one) out there that will solve the problem.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 10:13 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Yes here's to USB C. Aside from the fact it is way faster, there are two other big advantages. The first is it can deliver 100W of power - so fast fast charging. And secondly there is no wrong way to insert a USB C plug unlike traditional USB or micro USB - this is really important for everyone down under who always get things back to front.

Practically the only device which does not utilise USB C these days is the iPhone (including the last model). So that is why BMW added the wireless charging bay.
My 2019 iPad Pro is USB-C (aka Thunderbolt 3) and so is all current gen MacBooks. So why Apple chose to still include a lightening port for the iPhone 12 is beyond me. To add insult to injury they are only including a lightening to USB-C cable in the box and no USB-C charger. WTF? The Apple iPhone world lives in USB-A chargers (included since 2007) and hence my only guess is they want to sell some USB-C chargers as an add on accessory.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      10-19-2020, 11:59 PM   #10
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

On the 3 and 4 series there has always been a USB plug up under the glove compartment which is great for plugging a phone mount into. Do the 8's by chance have one up under there?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 12:14 AM   #11
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:

The 8 series isn't really meant for a family of 4. It's meant for the driver plus an occasional date with the possibility of carrying groceries or a handbag in the backseat. Kids aren't part of the equation except in extreme short trip emergency.

Let's be honest, most families can't afford 6 figure cars and those that can usually have another Vehicle as the family hauler. Kids aren't cheap, it's why the lower 90% drive minivans.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      10-20-2020, 02:31 AM   #12
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
On the 3 and 4 series there has always been a USB plug up under the glove compartment which is great for plugging a phone mount into. Do the 8's by chance have one up under there?
See what you mean and agree (I still drive an F32 and find it practical as well), but in the 8 series the only USB (A) available is the one next to the charging pad/station and drink holder. The good thing at least the center console trim closes up completely even when with the USB stick plugged something I cannot say of my wife's X4. Though with USB-C having become pretty much the new standard, we have plenty of options onboard.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #13
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
My 2019 iPad Pro is USB-C (aka Thunderbolt 3) and so is all current gen MacBooks. So why Apple chose to still include a lightening port for the iPhone 12 is beyond me. To add insult to injury they are only including a lightening to USB-C cable in the box and no USB-C charger. WTF? The Apple iPhone world lives in USB-A chargers (included since 2007) and hence my only guess is they want to sell some USB-C chargers as an add on accessory.
iPad Pro is not Thunderbolt 3. There is a huge difference between USB-C and TB3.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 09:15 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
iPad Pro is not Thunderbolt 3. There is a huge difference between USB-C and TB3.
Good callout as I assumed it was under the KISS principle in high-tech manufacturing to leverage the same parts across platforms to keep the total COGS to a minimum in aggregate. However, in hindsight for the needs of an iPad Pro USB-C is all that is needed from a data transfer speed (theoretical 10Gbps) vs Thunderbolt 3 (theoretical 40Gbps).
Appreciate 0