M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion The M8 "problem"

12-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Although after different clients, lots of ppl question M5 Comp vs M8 Comp GC. I see the issue here, under the skin they are basically identical with M5 Comp being lighter.

M8 looks better inside and out and def is more "special" in my eyes.

Heres the problem as I see it. The AMG GT 63S sedan is based on the E class similar to the 8 being based on the 5 series. However, the Amg gts sedan has more power, looks significantly more special, and adds different suspension and handling vs the E63S

The AMG GT 63 S sedan is a significant upgrade in handling vs the E63S having torched its ring time as well as the M5 comps ring time. It also consistently times better on the mag's track tests then both.

It is consistently described as a Super Sports car with 4 doors despite its huge weight

I guess my point is there is disappointment for me. The M8 costs a ton more and gains at least in my eyes simply, although significant, cosmetic improvements for a huge price. Looks a lot better than pedestrian looking M5 Comp but still falls short of looking really special

BMW had a chance to revolutionize this small niche market and make a much more special vehicle instead of a reskinned M5
      12-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Although you might find disappointment that really stems from the m5 being a really great car. It is hard to improve on something that great

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Although after different clients, lots of ppl question M5 Comp vs M8 Comp GC. I see the issue here, under the skin they are basically identical with M5 Comp being lighter.

Heres the problem as I see it. The AMG GT 63S sedan is based on the E class similar to the 8 being based on the 5 series. However, the Amg gts sedan has more power, looks significantly more special, and adds different suspension and handling vs the E63S

The AMG GT 63 S sedan is a significant upgrade in handling vs the E63S having torched its ring time as well as the M5 comps ring time. It also consistently times better on the mag's track tests then both.

It is consistently described as a Super Sports car with 4 doors despite its huge weight

I guess my point is there is disappointment for me. The M8 costs a ton more and gains at least in my eyes simply, although significant, cosmetic improvements for a huge price. Looks a lot better than pedestrian looking M5 Comp but still falls short of looking really special

BMW had a chance to revolutionize this small niche market and make a much more special vehicle instead of a reskinned M5
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #3
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Thought everyone complain about GT63S being too harsh, you can sacrifice comfort for handling but to me for 4 door at least that would miss the mark
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Quote:

Thought everyone complain about GT63S being too harsh, you can sacrifice comfort for handling but to me for 4 door at least that would miss the mark
Agree but that's why there's the E63S
      12-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #5
Olsonan
Registered
Rep
Drives: A7 (current), 328i, 911 (past)

You nailed it... considering both and the GT63S

How the f they didn't make it faster and more luxurious on the inside is beyond my comprehension. Even my salesperson(!) said to only get an M8 if I really wanted a coupe or convertible. They could have at least found a way to make it significantly lighter than the M5 and used the same engines. It's a f'ing halo GT that weighs only 75 lbs. less than their full-sized sedan! The M5 has massage seats and the M8 doesn't(?). The 2020 M5 even has the same digital cockpit as the M8. I really like the M8C and it is definitely smoother driving than the GT63S but the GT 63S looks, feels, and drives like something very very special while the M8 feels like a slightly nicer M5 with less doors and 911-esqe backseats.

Moreover, the M8 doesn't "feel" that different than an 850 either in terms of raw speed or in interior quality. I'm actually getting angry writing this because I wanted an M8 from the first time I saw a picture of the prototype and started drooling. Also because I am a fan of something called "logic" and appreciate "common-sense" in business decision-making. No one could have wanted this car to be great than I did.

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. BMW - if you happen to be reading this - fire whoever f'd this up and I'll hold my breath hoping the next gen really is deserving of the name.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
LSM1118.00
      12-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:

M5 looks pedestrian you say

It looks huge, like a Hulk. Have you seen one in your rear view? Or coming across you from opposite direction?
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #7
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Quote:

It looks huge, like a Hulk. Have you seen one in your rear view? Or coming across you from opposite direction?
I owned one.
      12-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I owned one.
You didnt answer my question
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I owned one.
You didnt answer my question
😊
I have seen from all angles - rear view mirror, coming toward me, driving my own (sold after 3 months)

Unless it's MBB and has carbon M pro Spoiler and front splitters, looks very plain looking IMO.

I would have liked something more aggressive looking but it's goal is understated looks with performance which it does well
      12-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #10
falb
M6GC
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP e60 M5, e39 M5, e39 540-6

I don't think the GT63 sedan looks that great. It lost the low long look of the GT coupe. The window profile is like the old CLS and it just didn't look right to me.

I hope the M8GC vs. M5 look quite different in the flesh. In fairness, the M6GC and M5 were quite similar in spec and they do look quite different.
#25 Algarve Pro Oreca LMP2 in ELMS
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:13 PM   #11
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

The GT63 Sedan is a really nice car. I only got to drive one for a short amount of time, but I really enjoyed my time with it. Despite its weight, it feels more agile than an M5 in my opinion, and offers more steering feel. Not a ton like the hydraulic rack of the AMG GT roadster and coupe, but still a decent amount for a modern EPS system. I've always preferred the W213 E63S over the F90 M5, so making the car drive better than the E63S was a pleasant surprise.

Like most AMG's however, the ride quality is stiffer than that of an M5. While not a deal-breaker for me, I can see how other's may find it to be "too much" for them. The visibility out the rear also isn't very good, but the interior is a very nice place to be, and has a cool modern vibe, but in the end design will always be subjective. Price is incredibly high, but then again, its priced against the Panamera, and the M8GC should be close but still cheaper, although dealer discounts could work in your favor.

At first, I actually wasn't a fan of the looks, but as I saw a few in person, as well as someone on MBWorld posted an awesome photo shoot (photos below), and I grew to love it. If you haven't test driven one I definitely recommend doing a back to back with the M8GC, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the two when the M8GC hits the market.

LSM1118.00
Swappy531.50