M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Track-demo car - not worth it?

12-01-2020, 04:48 PM   #1
amelen
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera 4S

Track-demo car - not worth it?

One of the leases I'm looking at was a track-demo car. 2k miles on it. For a 3 year lease, is it worth looking at or too risky?
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

I think it depends on its condition alltogether and of course on the final price vs how much "cheaper" is it compared to a non-demo car or to a new/er one. A demo car does not necessarily have to be one that was abused and/or tracked. In my area the BMW dealers have several demo cars and even M8 with production date 01.07.2019 ranging between 10.000 and 15.000 km driven and they look impeccable. As with buying any used car, you should carefully inspect it in and out (look carefully especially inside at the interiors / cabin details) and the rest of the car to get a clear picture of its condition. Wheels, tires, brakes will tell you a lot about how the car was driven as will the windshield. A car that was often tracked for example is likely to have visible signs on the windshield caused by gravel/stones or debris of any kind flying and carried around at those speeds and basically unavoidable. It's also a good idea to LIFT the car and inspect it underneath.
I think one should not avoid demo cars a priori thinking negative about them especially if low-mileage. Instead I would consider them amongst my choices and if there was one that meets my requirements, I would seriously consider it unless I really want a brand new car with 0 miles. That is there may be a good deal to be made.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
amelen
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
I think it depends on its condition alltogether and of course on the final price vs how much "cheaper" is it compared to a non-demo car or to a new/er one. A demo car does not necessarily have to be one that was abused and/or tracked. In my area the BMW dealers have several demo cars and even M8 with production date 01.07.2019 ranging between 10.000 and 15.000 km driven and they look impeccable. As with buying any used car, you should carefully inspect it in and out (look carefully especially inside at the interiors / cabin details) and the rest of the car to get a clear picture of its condition. Wheels, tires, brakes will tell you a lot about how the car was driven as will the windshield. A car that was often tracked for example is likely to have visible signs on the windshield caused by gravel/stones or debris of any kind flying and carried around at those speeds and basically unavoidable. It's also a good idea to LIFT the car and inspect it underneath.
I think one should not avoid demo cars a priori thinking negative about them especially if low-mileage. Instead I would consider them amongst my choices and if there was one that meets my requirements, I would seriously consider it unless I really want a brand new car with 0 miles. That is there may be a good deal to be made.
I was told by several people that it was a track demo (not sure how accurate, but I think it probably was). Price wise, it's about 5% cheaper then a non-demo, but also has all of the options I want. They are selling it as a "new" car, not used. It's a 3 year lease and under warranty, so I can't imagine running into any issues, but I've never dealt with this kind of situation before, so not sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #4
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelen View Post
Quote:
I was told by several people that it was a track demo (not sure how accurate, but I think it probably was). Price wise, it's about 5% cheaper then a non-demo, but also has all of the options I want. They are selling it as a "new" car, not used. It's a 3 year lease and under warranty, so I can't imagine running into any issues, but I've never dealt with this kind of situation before, so not sure.
How much off of MSRP?
      12-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Track demos are driven very hard with little care for wringing them out consistently. I wouldn't do it not worth 5% imo
      12-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #6
amelen
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanpro View Post
How much off of MSRP?
~23%
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 09:23 PM   #7
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

I mentioned this in another thread, but if you're leasing the car and not buying; who cares? It's BMW's problem after your 3 years of worry free driving via bumper to bumper warranty and free maintenance.

The one thing I would check for however is amount of tire tread left and also the brake pad thickness as neither of those are covered under the maintenance plan.
      12-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #8
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
I mentioned this in another thread, but if you're leasing the car and not buying; who cares? It's BMW's problem after your 3 years of worry free driving via bumper to bumper warranty and free maintenance.

The one thing I would check for however is amount of tire tread left and also the brake pad thickness as neither of those are covered under the maintenance plan.
Agree 100%. Who cares if it is a lease , and not planning to buy it after that
As our fellow member said check the tires and brakes.
At the end M cars are made with track in mind
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2020, 02:02 AM   #9
amelen
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
Good point. It's carbon ceramic breaks if that makes a difference. How many miles are those usually good for?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
Good point. It's carbon ceramic breaks if that makes a difference. How many miles are those usually good for?
My service advisor told me 50 to 100k with normal driving. That was on my M6 tho.
      12-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #11
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Typically it is 60k-100k miles for non-track driving. If heavily tracked and people don't pay attention, you can go through a set of rotors in just a few track days.

That said, the M8 is not a track car and would normally not see heavy track usage ever. The car also has insufficient brake cooling for real tracking.

Since track usage was mentioned its important to have the CCB's checked before purchase.
Chips or other physical damage plus you have to look for the wear marks (CCB's are not measured in thickness like steel disks). Check on the pads as people may not have paid attention. For inspection, the wheels nee to come off...

The reason is that CCB's are subsidized when purchased. $8k does not represent the actual costs of the brake system which is about $16k-$20k.
Each rotor is about $4k list price although they can be had for less online.

Last edited by Wolfman64; 12-02-2020 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #12
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Generally some will tell you that CC brake discs are designed to last for the car’s entire lifetime. I think this is rubbish and just a marketing trick to have people (even those who do not track their cars) eventually tick this little extra or looking especially for a vehicle that spots them - believing these brakes are trouble free and do not need replacing for a VERY long time (if the car isn't tracked) and possibly for all the years one possesses the car. When reading drivers' experience, reality is much nearer to what Wolf64 said and the mentioned mileage can actually be achieved with some very decent conventional discs such as the M Performance variant. I have gone with my M Performance brake discs for more than 80.000 km before replacing them and they were still not done. This just shows in terms of DURATION they aren't that far off though CCB have other advantages and qualities over conventional rotors which make people choose them over those.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #13
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Generally some will tell you that CC brake discs are designed to last for the car’s entire lifetime. I think this is rubbish and just a marketing trick to have people (even those who do not track their cars) eventually tick this little extra or looking especially for a vehicle that spots them - believing these brakes are trouble free and do not need replacing for a VERY long time (if the car isn't tracked) and possibly for all the years one possesses the car. When reading drivers' experience, reality is much nearer to what Wolf64 said and the mentioned mileage can actually be achieved with some very decent conventional discs such as the M Performance variant. I have gone with my M Performance brake discs for more than 80.000 km before replacing them and they were still not done. This just shows in terms of DURATION they aren't that far off though CCB have other advantages and qualities over conventional rotors which make people choose them over those.
I think it’s still important to point out that nobody should get these for longevity, rather for the lack of brake fade and more practically, the complete lack of brake dust. They also have a killer grip.

CCB’s are the one option I miss on our M8; we had them on our E63s and have them on our GTC. Personally, they’re worth every penny

I just want to make sure that special attention has to be paid when getting a car with CCB’s that is not factory fresh. A small issue can easily add a $10k repair bill...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #14
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
I think it’s still important to point out that nobody should get these for longevity, rather for the lack of brake fade and more practically, the complete lack of brake dust. They also have a killer grip.

CCB’s are the one option I miss on our M8; we had them on our E63s and have them on our GTC. Personally, they’re worth every penny

I just want to make sure that special attention has to be paid when getting a car with CCB’s that is not factory fresh. A small issue can easily add a $10k repair bill...
Indeed and that is exactly what was meant with "though CCB have other advantages and qualities over conventional rotors which make people choose them over those." The advantages, or better the added value of CCB vs. conventional can be summarized in those points you stated above. I do not think either duration should be an argument in their favor - on the contrary many dealers told me there are plenty of potential BMW M cars buyers that AVOID these CCB on used vehicles for the monstrous replacement costs compared with the conventional brakes.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 11:23 PM   #15
raym3cs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino M3CS

i leased a demo f86 x6m with 4200 miles on it
never had any issues with it
i installed dinan stage 2 tune, dinan air intake, full Eisenmann exhaust

i put it back to stock and returned it
$1199 a month sign and drive was my deal