M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 Convertible Standard vs Competition

11-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
amelen
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera 4S

M8 Convertible Standard vs Competition

Doesn't seem like there are many M8 competition models left. What features do I lose if I get a non-comp model (other then the hp). I really prefer the wheels on the comp, but anything else that I'd lose?
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

U will loose the comp exhaust, black shadow trim (u can do it urself), the wheels, and a more precise steering/handling (not useful on regular days unless u track ur car)
Thats it
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
amelen
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
U will loose the comp exhaust, black shadow trim (u can do it urself), the wheels, and a more precise steering/handling (not useful on regular days unless u track ur car)
Thats it

Got it. Ugh, I really like the shadow trim & wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 08:04 AM   #4
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
You can buy the trim and wheels. I have comp wheels sitting in my garage.

I was going to get a non comp but wanted CCB so had to order a Comp model when you could order them.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
Jenner
///M
Rep
Drives: M8C/Taycan Turbo/Roadster 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amelen View Post
You can do everything yourself much cheaper than the $13,000 Competition package.

You can add the additional front camber with an alignment.
It's probably not worth doing the stiffer engine mounts and ball joints instead of rubber at the rear but these can be had from BMW parts online vendors for a fraction of the price @ the dealer.

The shadowline front grill, black side vents and black rear badge can all be had for less than $500. If you can't find the part number on your own PM me as I replaced all the chrome on mine with these parts

The track mode display is silly but I am sure someone could code it for you if you really wanted to pay for it.

17hp you can get WAY more than that (~100hp+) with a piggy back tune for $700
An M8 and an M8 Competition both make the same power when tuned. No internal engine differences.

The competition exhaust is only different in the mid-pipe and the tip size/color. You can replace the mid-pipe for around $1200 if you want to stay "OEM" and paint the exhaust tips gloss black but why not just spend that on an aftermarket exhaust as you are still way under $13,000!

Same with the wheels, buy the BMW Comp wheels from BMW or buy some better looking aftermarket ones, whatever makes you happy.

Seatbelts have the tri color going down them, again you can replace with an OEM part, but the labor will cost more than the belts lol.

Last edited by Jenner; 12-01-2020 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
SpeedyATL1792.50
      12-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
amelen
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
You can do everything yourself much cheaper than the $13,000 Competition package.

It's probably not worth doing the stiffer engine mounts and ball joints instead of rubber at the rear but these can be had from BMW parts online vendors for a fraction of the price @ the dealer.

The shadowline front grill, black side vents and black rear badge can all be had for less than $500. If you can't find the part number on your own PM me as I replaced all the chrome on mine with these parts

The track mode display is silly but I am sure someone could code it for you if you really wanted to pay for it.

17hp you can get WAY more than that with a piggy back for $700
An M8 and an M8 Competition both make the same power when tuned. No internal engine differences.

The competition exhaust is only different in the mid-pipe and the tip size/color. You can replace the mid-pipe for around $1200 if you want to stay "OEM" and paint the exhaust tips gloss black but why not just spend that on an aftermarket exhaust as you are still way under $13,000!

Same with the wheels, buy the BMW Comp wheels from BMW or buy some better looking aftermarket ones, whatever makes you happy.

Seatbelts have the tri color going down them, again you can replace with an OEM part, but the labor will cost more than the belts lol.
Thanks! Surprisingly, deal wise, the price spread is even higher (I got better deals on the non-comp). The only thing I really care about is the black trim in front and the wheels, but like you said, that's an easy enough fix.

Last question - a lot of the models have:

"7ME M Driver's Package" -> that's just the driving day? is there a way for them to strip that out from the price? I really don't need that - especially during COVID times.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 04:07 PM   #7
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

https://www.bmw-drivingexperience.co...ngs/v-max.html

That package (7ME) will also give you a V-Max increase up to 305 km/h which will be automatically activated when surpassing the 2,000 km mark and after having completed the run-in inspection. Unless you are planning to tune it (and get VMax removed alltogether), I would say the VMax increase in that package isn't a bad thing at all! As to whether they can remove that from the overall package in a vehicle where it is included I doubt it, but it's best to ask the dealer directly.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #8
Jenner
///M
Rep
Drives: M8C/Taycan Turbo/Roadster 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
That package (7ME) will also give you a V-Max increase up to 305 km/h
I would say the VMax increase in that package isn't a bad thing at all! As to whether they can remove that from the overall package in a vehicle where it is included I doubt it, but it's best to ask the dealer directly.
189mph vs 155mph is a pretty useless to feature to us here in there states and even then it's pretty questionable how strict that 155 limit is. The M2 for example can hit 165 even though it too is "limited" to 155.

I agree with you. Very unlikely they can remove it as it is on the Monroney sticker and therefore I believe it tied to the VIN. The most you can do is negotiate it off the price.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #9
amelen
Private
Rep

Quote:
189mph vs 155mph is a pretty useless to feature to us here in there states and even then it's pretty questionable how strict that 155 limit is. The M2 for example can hit 165 even though it too is "limited" to 155.

I agree with you. Very unlikely they can remove it as it is on the Monroney sticker and therefore I believe it tied to the VIN. The most you can do is negotiate it off the price.
Yup, dealership said can't be removed. What a waste - even if someone really wanted the track-day aspect of it, it's not worth $2,500 and with COVID, who's going to be doing these events right now anyway? Seems like the option stays with the VIN and can only be used by the first owner.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 05:00 PM   #10
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Well that is what the package "adds"on top of the voucher (useful or useless as one may call it). And there isn't really much more worth mentioning IMO. Everyone have to know for themselves, based on their preferences, priorities, location as you hinted etc.... if it is useful or not. I think a VMax removal is always nice to have regardless of whether you track your car or not. Not sure in the US where else (other than o a track) you could get to those speeds (closed test roard, own private road / airport.....).
For me it would be useless as well only because I always get the VMax removed along with the tune I treat my baby car with. But in general terms I still think "it isn't a bad thing at all" especially if you do not plan tuning the car and still want that VMax removed as not everyone want to tune their cars for one reason or another. I doubt the M8 as any electronically limited bimmer will do much more than the stated 250 km/h though there may be exceptions of course with those perhaps being 5-10 km/h more than the stated standard 250 km/h cealing. If the M2 does indeed make 165 mph stock then BMW does something wrong in offering the M Driver's package at all since this car is supposed to hit 270 km/h (169 mph) WITH the M7E pack.
Yes negotiating of the price is something I also would think one could try to do at least. Indeed it's tied to the VIN of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 05:05 PM   #11
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yup, dealership said can't be removed. What a waste - even if someone really wanted the track-day aspect of it, it's not worth $2,500 and with COVID, who's going to be doing these events right now anyway? Seems like the option stays with the VIN and can only be used by the first owner.
What a pity but was to be feared as it is tied to the car VIN. But maybe you can negotiate something else - perhaps a spare set of wheels/tires? Or maybe the S7M9A Individual option high-gloss Shadow-Line! It'w worth trying.
I agree with you and even during "normal times" pre and post covid, I probably would not add it as a spec either just for that one voucher and especially if I know that I can get my VMax removed through other "methods".
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #12
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:

For free, I'd take the track day and I'd go. But I wouldn't pay for it.

As others have said, everything can be fixed but the exhaust is the biggest change. I think there is a hard button near the shifter that opens and closes the exhaust. I don't think that can be added, but a tune can open the flaps or get a switch in the car with a tuner probably.

The exhaust and added buttons, might be like $10k installed. But you can probably get a better one than the stock one, like the Apkra one, and pipes especially if you don't need emission testing.

I'd wager you can take a non-comp, add $12k and get a better results with a new exhaust, ECU tune, and trim pieces installed.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #13
amelen
Private
Rep

Ahh, yes exhaust - and black tail pipes, right? I'm leasing, so I'm not sure I'd want to do all the upgrades. But regardless, it doesn't seem like the competition models (that have a monthly lease price of +20 to +25%) are worth the premium.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #14
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

The non comp has the button , the only difference between comp exhaust and the non comp is the front muffler that u can get it for 1200 dollar and lay 300 to get it installed.
As for the black tips , in the m8 u can Not remove them bc they are welded , but when u install the exhaust u can get the rear catback and powdercoat the tips for another 300 or u csn live with the chrome look
This a non comp with powdercoated tips
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #15
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahh, yes exhaust - and black tail pipes, right? I'm leasing, so I'm not sure I'd want to do all the upgrades. But regardless, it doesn't seem like the competition models (that have a monthly lease price of +20 to +25%) are worth the premium.
if it's a lease, no don't modify it and don't pay a 25% markup. it's not worth +10% over the base.

Lease the base m8 and enjoy the ride. get an ecu tune or piggyback jb4 tune, if you have cash to spare. otherwise just use and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #16
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Quote:

17hp you can get WAY more than that (~100hp+) with a piggy back tune for $700

Only problem with this is warranty and you can residualize the added cost into a lease
      12-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #17
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

Talking of the top speed limiter removal, has anyone on this list checked his actual top speed? Ever? Whomever did it would be great it they could share.

Exhaust wise I would not worry about the competition exhaust and got for the Acrapovic M performance one.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:00 PM   #18
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM6 View Post
Talking of the top speed limiter removal, has anyone on this list checked his actual top speed? Ever? Whomever did it would be great it they could share.

Exhaust wise I would not worry about the competition exhaust and got for the Acrapovic M performance one.

Cheers
The guys at AutoTopNL regularly get M8's up to 305kph (190mph) on the autobahn.

12-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #19
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM6 View Post

Cheers
The guys at AutoTopNL regularly get M8's up to 305kph (190mph) on the autobahn.

The question is who in the USA has driven their car to their top speed to check what their actual limit is, unless you take it to the track you can't and should not really do it.

If someone has verified, beyond the YouTube ones it would be good to hear how it went.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #20
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

80 competition models in the USA which is more than demand for these. There are plenty. See link below and filter for comp coupe and comp convertible

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/se...tartYear=2020#
      12-05-2020, 09:53 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
80 competition models in the USA which is more than demand for these. There are plenty. See link below and filter for comp coupe and comp convertible

Agreed but even the first M8C Coupe that matched my Sakhir Orange/Black interior desire (Sonic Speed Blue exterior) for a full go plus B&W audio only has the watered down DA2 (ZDX) package but does have the DA Pro package. Some may likely care less but once you have the 3D view camera (optioned it on my wife's X5) you'll never go back.
Appreciate 2
LSM1118.00
      12-06-2020, 02:29 AM   #22
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post

Agreed but even the first M8C Coupe that matched my Sakhir Orange/Black interior desire (Sonic Speed Blue exterior) for a full go plus B&W audio only has the watered down DA2 (ZDX) package but does have the DA Pro package. Some may likely care less but once you have the 3D view camera (optioned it on my wife's X5) you'll never go back.
yep, it's rare to find the full drivers package, carbon fiber, & B&W systems.
my 2019 sonic blue is one of a kind !!
Appreciate 1
i8you5.00