M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion What's next? A possibility; thoughts...

11-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

What's next? A possibility; thoughts...

Definitely gonna need a tune but this new innovation is still a great looking take on the 4WD 4D super coupe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Definitely gonna need a tune but this new innovation is still a great looking take on the 4WD 4D super coupe.
That surely didn't take long, i.e, another toy for you to mod. . Looks great and enjoy the new drive!

When I test drove a RS5 I thought it had great tech but a bit small for me and the M850i trumped it for driving performance. It was more of an exercise to see if I wanted to wait for the RS7 which would fit me better but ultimately I wanted a coupe and the M850i checked all the boxes.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Luv Audi's, especially the RS models

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      11-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #4
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Great to see both side by side.
Love the looks of the RS7 but strangely think the M8 looks better here. Especially the front end looks more aggressive.
How does the suspension compare?
Appreciate 2
limeypride4423.50
Flo1989342.00
      11-29-2020, 06:57 PM   #5
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
The new bugs bunny grill of the 4 Series, and what appears to be a variety of new BMW vehicles, is not to my liking. In fact I hate it.

Audi have used more design nous to create a simplified open grill structure that actually looks pretty cool.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      11-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #6
Canadian Mthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Garage List
I spent a few weeks (and sleepless nights) trying to make the choice between the RS7, GT63S, and the M8GC. I hadn't considered choosing all three but looking at these pics it makes a heck of a lot of sense.

Beautiful! Congrats(?) and thanks for sharing!

Edit: I realized you probably didn't purchase the RS7 when re-reading the thread...

Last edited by Canadian Mthusiast; 11-30-2020 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: I need to work on my reading comprehension :/
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #7
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
That surely didn't take long, i.e, another toy for you to mod. . Looks great and enjoy the new drive!

When I test drove a RS5 I thought it had great tech but a bit small for me and the M850i trumped it for driving performance. It was more of an exercise to see if I wanted to wait for the RS7 which would fit me better but ultimately I wanted a coupe and the M850i checked all the boxes.
Whoa , I'm not there yet my friend. It's a contender for sure but I'm far from sold.

Whether we own one or not, objectively speaking: the 8s are difficult to beat... certainly performance-wise and I would argue the same is true for the overall package. They are a bit over-priced but the $30K cheaper RS7 only yields that value if you buy it—lease numbers land the RS7 far more expensive than my M8C GC... and my car is far from a great deal because of my impatience and its unique color and yet the RS7 was a Hyundai more.

The Audi's interior is nice but the e2e touch screens—haptic feedback or not—are a mistake and a step in the wrong direction. The rear cabin isn't even close to the 8's Captain's chair setup—positively meh looking... but I could get over that I suspect. The steering wheel didn't work for me at all—too skinny and little to yell "Sport".

The tech seemed comparable from my albeit brief lesson. I'd miss the gesture control for sure. The sound system is a B&O both on the low- and high-end models with a 3D B&O coming in at $5Kish. The low-end model sounded superb to my naive ears.

I think I can best summarize my overall takeaway as this: I declined to test drive it. That speaks with more volume than the B&O could muster. :

I've not ruled it out completely but having now finished my research online, too, I'm left underwhelmed.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #8
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mthusiast View Post
I spent a few weeks (and sleepless nights) trying to make the choice between the RS7, GT63S, and the M8GC. I hadn't considered choosing all three but looking at these pics it makes a heck of a lot of sense.

Beautiful! Congrats(?) and thanks for sharing!

Edit: I realized you probably didn't purchase the RS7 when re-reading the thread...
lol

See my post above.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #9
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Not sure you are a fan of or want a car with hybrid technology, but the MB AMG GT 73 is not too far away from launching. Could that be something? Its stock numbers are impressive (imagine tuned....) and by the pictures I have seen around the car looks decent too I would say. Though I still think the M8 remains the best looking one in the pack (throw in the new Panamera, anything you want in this niche) but I think BMW did a proper landing and will be hard to top. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Hi Dean.... I have an appointment at Fletcher Jones Wednesday to review this car as well. It definitely piqued my interest as Im not just a full blown my car is faster in a straight line on a pre determined road race kind of guy. LOL.

I love the RS7 and have had 2 prior as I think you have as well?? My main thoughts personally is have they tuned the suspension to what that car really deserves vs the fluffy air version in my 14 (my 17 had the springs which was a great improvement but still I was wanting just a bit more). And how is the steering; the engine over the front wheel always left me feeling a lot of understeer especially in the 14. Whereas in the 17 they did some software upgrades to assist better. Audi understeer has always been killer except in my R8's- just got the 2020 so maybe Im just on Audi crack LOL. I also might even take the plunge because the values/pricing are so favorable, on the M8 CE Coupe. I dont know just yet so Im glad you posted this thread.

I think this car will be great and the looks, to me, as polarizing as they are fit what I like. Let us all know.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #11
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Hi Dean.... I have an appointment at Fletcher Jones Wednesday to review this car as well. It definitely piqued my interest as Im not just a full blown my car is faster in a straight line on a pre determined road race kind of guy. LOL.

I love the RS7 and have had 2 prior as I think you have as well?? My main thoughts personally is have they tuned the suspension to what that car really deserves vs the fluffy air version in my 14 (my 17 had the springs which was a great improvement but still I was wanting just a bit more). And how is the steering; the engine over the front wheel always left me feeling a lot of understeer especially in the 14. Whereas in the 17 they did some software upgrades to assist better. Audi understeer has always been killer except in my R8's- just got the 2020 so maybe Im just on Audi crack LOL. I also might even take the plunge because the values/pricing are so favorable, on the M8 CE Coupe. I dont know just yet so Im glad you posted this thread.

I think this car will be great and the looks, to me, as polarizing as they are fit what I like. Let us all know.
Hey Vic,

Congrats on the... another R8!!

I had a '17 RS7 Performance Titanium Edition. I liked it a lot. I, albeit more retroactively, determined that I didn't love it, though (I did love the way it looked once I was done).

In hindsight, I think I should've taken the test drive but I just wasn't interested (much to the surprise of the sales guy).

They have added M1 and M2 buttons now so they're learning and the HUD is no longer pointless; useful in fact.

And I think you're correct on the core driving foibles... and it's this aspect of your reply that makes me wanna go back and test drive it. Perhaps I can get over the rest... but the list isn't getting shorter and that back seat bothered me more than I thought—it's identical to the A7 and it's just not enough even in that model. A bench in this generation is insufficient even at entry point pricing.

Not to mention (again): Audi's lease pricing and policies are astronomical & pre-historic to say the least.

Sigh, did I just talk myself back out of the test drive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
i8you5.00
      12-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #12
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Hey Vic,

Sigh, did I just talk myself back out of the test drive.
What have I done
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      12-03-2020, 08:57 PM   #13
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Granted, I could post an entirely new thread but there's only so much online dissent I can reasonably respond to so I'll consciously limit my audience.

This is intended to be a direct comparison to my M8. It is not an independent--and perhaps not an entirely objective--comparison of the RS7 (since I am probably incapable of doing that) but it was necessary to add or remove the RS7 from the shortlist of “my next car” options. That said, I am not a BMW fanboy and you've no reason to think otherwise.

Name:  Not a fanboy.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  80.3 KB

Here are comparable builds (since there’s no RS7 Performance model yet, I used a non-Comp M8 Gran Coupe)
- 2021 BMW M8GC: $145,950 (build code: ECOR86OP)
- 2021 Audi RS7 : $137,439 (build code: A7405L0T)

After a roughly 25-mile test drive on twisties, some deliberately terrible roads (FL. I4 and local roads with extensive roadworks) including a good freeway or 2… as well as a mild-launch and an almost 100mph top speed, here’s my verdict relative to my goal above:

VERDICT: "I was going to shortlist it right up until I got *back* in my M8 and drove away… within 15 seconds and without thinking, I yelled out loud to myself, “hell, no”—so it’s off of my shortlist."

Why? It’s nothing to do with power (OK, power played a part but by no means a deciding factor) so please read on...

o Exterior: beautiful—Audi nailed it… again
---- More so than the M8? Too subjective I think but they’re comparably pretty to my eye
o Interior: it’s not enough; it needs to feel *MUCH* more special—and I’m quoting my wife there; here’s that scenario from a few hours ago:
---- I brought it home for the wife to see
---- I said nothing; just asked her to come and look
---- She looked at it in the driveway and said, “wow, it’s purrrrty”
---- She got inside and said, “it’s like a sedan; it’s all a bit everyday so so… your M8 feels special”
………… no argument here so far
o Ride comfort: the Audi was EXCELLENT—shockingly so given its setup
---- I can’t compare it to my M8 since I’m running on lowered H&R springs and don’t recall the stock ride quality
---- Regardless, it’s fair to say that this new RS7’s ride quality is very, very good even on 22” wheels with 30% profile pasties for tires as well as Audi’s new air suspension...
---- Air suspension itself: I was very impressed
o Shifting: decent; as good as the BMW’s ZF but these trannys adapt so much to the driver’s input over time, it’s tough to reasonably compare
---- I came away impressed, though
o Driver connection between the control surfaces and the road—lacking
---- This is what I’m referring to when I got back into the M8
---- RS button vs: M-buttons: lacking—not enough customization and poorly positioned
-:-:-:-: Two modes on one button isn’t ideal but livable
---- Shifting from auto to manual (and back again which is worse)—typical legacy Audi requiring physical jog of shifter to the right
-:-:-:-: This, for me, is almost a dealbreaker—BMW’s approach is lightyears ahead
-:-:-:-: I know, it’s a strange one to cite as a dealbreaker but it pissed me off more than once in 25 minutes
---- Steering feel: the biggest compliment I can pay it is I forgot to think about it while driving it
-:-:-:-: I wouldn’t call it communicative or anything but it’s leap and bounds better than it used to be in Audis
-:-:-:-: Is it better than the M8: no
-:-:-:-: Is it as good as it: close but a bit too light even in Sport
-:-:-:-: Turn in was good and predictable—I know this because I can’t recall it not being so
---- Brake feel: too spongey; too much pedal travel
-:-:-:-: I’m possibly poisoned here since the M8 has a setting to control it and I have it in Sport by default
-:-:-:-: Probably a moot point
o Tech: pretty good but the touch interface lets it down
o Performance:
---- Slow compared to my car—unfair comparison so, granted, it’s moot
---- However, I turned off my tune yesterday in preparation for this
-:-:-:-: It’s still slow compared to an M8 let alone a Comp
-:-:-:-: Not a little slower so you won’t notice over time but much slower… by M5/M8 standards, it’s close to gutless (not popular I know but subjectively honest)
-:-:-:-: I suspect this engine’s got plenty of tuning potential especially given CarWow’s recent RS6 dragrace but doing so is a bigger risk with Audi than just about any other brand so is this reasonably all there is?
o Exhaust note: sweet… REALLY, REALLY (allow me one more since it deserves it), REALLY sweet V8 thrum; very, very quiet, though, even opened up
---- Burbles audible outside the car just about, but not inside
---- Nonetheless, this wouldn’t be a dealbreaker because of how good the engine note is
---- Add an aftermarket system and this car will sing in the V8 ways you love with (obviously that’s from my limited time but it’s a glorious grrrrr) with none of the typical forced-induction sound poison
---- But, again, it is VERY quiet on the burble-side and near-zero back pops (think Rice Krispies)
o Cabin noise: quiet; nicely insulated; road noise present, though, but not intrusive and as expected
o Gesture controls: what gesture controls? I love them in my M8 and I’d miss them—they’re not a gimmick… and nobody else has them
o Sound system: the B&O is standard and it was EXCELLENT; far better than BMW’s standard HK
---- I’m told the 3D B&O upgraded system is noticeably better; I can’t comment
---- The M8’s B&W is comparable to this B&O
o Ambient lighting: what ambient lighting? I couldn’t see any but, of course, it was daylight. However, I can see it in my M8 during the day
o Driving position: too high and by a long way; I felt the seat needed to be lowered by perhaps another inch
---- In addition, the driver’s seat didn’t feel like it encapsulated or held on to me as I like
---- There was also nowhere to rest my left elbow which occurred to me 2 or 3 times during the drive as it literally fell to seat-level
-:-:-:-: I know, this sounds like a nitpick but it jumped out at me more than once and that’s what I’m attempting to write-up here
o HUD is busy but very good and very clear; hi-res; good font and color differentiation to help consume the different info
---- Not sure if it’s configurable; I assume so
o Sunroof: well you can have one on an RS7 and it’s a good one at that… so that’s a huge step-up from the M8—shame on you BMW; it’s a GT, not a Lambo
o Shift paddles are decent and far better than the stock M8s
o Steering wheel is way too skinny and does not feel sufficiently special for this level of vehicle
o Interior trim in this particular car was exposed dry carbon fiber weave and was lovely—I liked it a lot
---- However, there is piano black almost everywhere else and on every other control surface in the center console and dash and you cannot option it off
---- That said, it was a very good quality piano black (unlike many others)
o I didn’t have time to sufficiently explore connected tech but CarPlay and apps for this brand are unlikely to suck—no recent firsthand experience, though
o The physical/tactile/implicit connection between the driver and the car is just not the same as the M8 but that doesn’t necessarily make it bad—it’s not enough for me, though
---- This is a big contributor to the “hell no” outburst I mentioned earlier
o Build quality is as expected from an Audi: excellent
o Rear passenger seats are unacceptable and they’re just like the car’s lower brethren
---- This car needs to look & feel special even in the rear seats
o The overall driving position and the way the cockpit envelops you does not make you feel as at-one with the car as I’d like
---- the M8 does and it does it incredibly well
---- for me, this is another contributor to the “hell no” outburst I mentioned earlier
o Trunk capacity and ease-of-use/trunk versatility compared to the M8 GC is vastly superior
o Visibility is good
o Leather and upholstery are excellent as is seat comfort
---- I still love the diamond twill cross-stitch thing that Audi does so well
---- My M8 has a similar hexagonal equivalent but Audi’s is better
o Use of plastics versus piano black versus metals: this is a huge win for BMW
---- The M8 has metallic surfaces everywhere; the Audi does not and uses too much piano black
-:-:-:-: PS: piano black is a phrase to make glossy black plastic somehow cooler… just sayin’
o Headliner: why the hell am I talking about the headliner?
---- Because you get an Alcantara one in BMWs for free… if you want, and it’s free if you don’t
---- In the Audi, it’s $3,000
---- But wait, I’m not done yet—you can’t have it unless you have the B&O 3D surround system for $4,900
---- So, to get a non-cloth roof interior covering costs $7,900 and comes with a sound system you didn’t ask for—that’s a solid WTF moment, Audi!

... and I'm done.

Last edited by limeypride; 12-03-2020 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 7
DrewBert151.50
Al Pinã1839.50
Wolfman64811.50
Vic5519234.00
LSM1118.00
stein_325i25075.00
Ozzie8641.00
      12-05-2020, 09:03 AM   #14
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

RWD vs FWD based Audi is a no contest imo.... ive never owned an Audi. I do like how they look but except t for f the R8 which I absolutely love, I just can't get into them. Every time I drive one I feel the push into corners / understeer and they don't feel very sporty and even worse than recent M's poor steering and suspension

I don't know what your short list looks like but AMG 73 coming and 2021 Panamera or another M8 GC..RS7 performance if you like Audi's should be out soon I would think

Appears you're looking for a sedan with coupe like silhouette?

Edit: Love the write up! Very informative
      12-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #15
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

The looks of the new RS6 and RS7 are just gorgeous. I have seen both in person and they are absolutely stunning. However, that being said, like others have posted here, I have always been bothered by Audi and their MLB based products, I just don't want the "plow" or understeer feeling that they provide. I had the chance to watch a new RS6 attempt to do donuts or even just try and kick the rear end out gracefully, and lets just say, it was not pretty.

I would definitely wait for the new GT73, that car should be a beast, and probably incredibly overpriced (since the current one is) but a beast nonetheless.
limeypride4423.50
      12-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
RWD vs FWD based Audi is a no contest imo.... ive never owned an Audi. I do like how they look but except t for f the R8 which I absolutely love, I just can't get into them. Every time I drive one I feel the push into corners / understeer and they don't feel very sporty and even worse than recent M's poor steering and suspension

I don't know what your short list looks like but AMG 73 coming and 2021 Panamera or another M8 GC..RS7 performance if you like Audi's should be out soon I would think

Yeah, a 4-door supercoupe again. Another GC is high on my list. Anyone know when the lci is due?
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      12-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #17
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post

Yeah, a 4-door supercoupe again. Another GC is high on my list. Anyone know when the lci is due?
Start of production for 8 was 2019 and M8 2020

End of production is 2025

LCI In 2021 as a 2022 model is a good guess I would think
      12-05-2020, 08:57 PM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Granted, I could post an entirely new thread but there's only so much online dissent I can reasonably respond to so I'll consciously limit my audience.

This is intended to be a direct comparison to my M8. It is not an independent--and perhaps not an entirely objective--comparison of the RS7 (since I am probably incapable of doing that) but it was necessary to add or remove the RS7 from the shortlist of “my next car” options. That said, I am not a BMW fanboy and you've no reason to think otherwise.

Attachment 2475261

Here are comparable builds (since there’s no RS7 Performance model yet, I used a non-Comp M8 Gran Coupe)
- 2021 BMW M8GC: $145,950 (build code: ECOR86OP)
- 2021 Audi RS7 : $137,439 (build code: A7405L0T)

After a roughly 25-mile test drive on twisties, some deliberately terrible roads (FL. I4 and local roads with extensive roadworks) including a good freeway or 2… as well as a mild-launch and an almost 100mph top speed, here’s my verdict relative to my goal above:

VERDICT: "I was going to shortlist it right up until I got *back* in my M8 and drove away… within 15 seconds and without thinking, I yelled out loud to myself, “hell, no”—so it’s off of my shortlist."

Why? It’s nothing to do with power (OK, power played a part but by no means a deciding factor) so please read on...

o Exterior: beautiful—Audi nailed it… again
---- More so than the M8? Too subjective I think but they’re comparably pretty to my eye
o Interior: it’s not enough; it needs to feel *MUCH* more special—and I’m quoting my wife there; here’s that scenario from a few hours ago:
---- I brought it home for the wife to see
---- I said nothing; just asked her to come and look
---- She looked at it in the driveway and said, “wow, it’s purrrrty”
---- She got inside and said, “it’s like a sedan; it’s all a bit everyday so so… your M8 feels special”
………… no argument here so far
o Ride comfort: the Audi was EXCELLENT—shockingly so given its setup
---- I can’t compare it to my M8 since I’m running on lowered H&R springs and don’t recall the stock ride quality
---- Regardless, it’s fair to say that this new RS7’s ride quality is very, very good even on 22” wheels with 30% profile pasties for tires as well as Audi’s new air suspension...
---- Air suspension itself: I was very impressed
o Shifting: decent; as good as the BMW’s ZF but these trannys adapt so much to the driver’s input over time, it’s tough to reasonably compare
---- I came away impressed, though
o Driver connection between the control surfaces and the road—lacking
---- This is what I’m referring to when I got back into the M8
---- RS button vs: M-buttons: lacking—not enough customization and poorly positioned
-:-:-:-: Two modes on one button isn’t ideal but livable
---- Shifting from auto to manual (and back again which is worse)—typical legacy Audi requiring physical jog of shifter to the right
-:-:-:-: This, for me, is almost a dealbreaker—BMW’s approach is lightyears ahead
-:-:-:-: I know, it’s a strange one to cite as a dealbreaker but it pissed me off more than once in 25 minutes
---- Steering feel: the biggest compliment I can pay it is I forgot to think about it while driving it
-:-:-:-: I wouldn’t call it communicative or anything but it’s leap and bounds better than it used to be in Audis
-:-:-:-: Is it better than the M8: no
-:-:-:-: Is it as good as it: close but a bit too light even in Sport
-:-:-:-: Turn in was good and predictable—I know this because I can’t recall it not being so
---- Brake feel: too spongey; too much pedal travel
-:-:-:-: I’m possibly poisoned here since the M8 has a setting to control it and I have it in Sport by default
-:-:-:-: Probably a moot point
o Tech: pretty good but the touch interface lets it down
o Performance:
---- Slow compared to my car—unfair comparison so, granted, it’s moot
---- However, I turned off my tune yesterday in preparation for this
-:-:-:-: It’s still slow compared to an M8 let alone a Comp
-:-:-:-: Not a little slower so you won’t notice over time but much slower… by M5/M8 standards, it’s close to gutless (not popular I know but subjectively honest)
-:-:-:-: I suspect this engine’s got plenty of tuning potential especially given CarWow’s recent RS6 dragrace but doing so is a bigger risk with Audi than just about any other brand so is this reasonably all there is?
o Exhaust note: sweet… REALLY, REALLY (allow me one more since it deserves it), REALLY sweet V8 thrum; very, very quiet, though, even opened up
---- Burbles audible outside the car just about, but not inside
---- Nonetheless, this wouldn’t be a dealbreaker because of how good the engine note is
---- Add an aftermarket system and this car will sing in the V8 ways you love with (obviously that’s from my limited time but it’s a glorious grrrrr) with none of the typical forced-induction sound poison
---- But, again, it is VERY quiet on the burble-side and near-zero back pops (think Rice Krispies)
o Cabin noise: quiet; nicely insulated; road noise present, though, but not intrusive and as expected
o Gesture controls: what gesture controls? I love them in my M8 and I’d miss them—they’re not a gimmick… and nobody else has them
o Sound system: the B&O is standard and it was EXCELLENT; far better than BMW’s standard HK
o Ambient lighting: what ambient lighting? I couldn’t see any but, of course, it was daylight. However, I can see it in my M8 during the day
o Driving position: too high and by a long way; I felt the seat needed to be lowered by perhaps another inch
---- In addition, the driver’s seat didn’t feel like it encapsulated or held on to me as I like
---- There was also nowhere to rest my left elbow which occurred to me 2 or 3 times during the drive as it literally fell to seat-level
-:-:-:-: I know, this sounds like a nitpick but it jumped out at me more than once and that’s what I’m attempting to write-up here
o HUD is busy but very good and very clear; hi-res; good font and color differentiation to help consume the different info
---- Not sure if it’s configurable; I assume so
o Sunroof: well you can have one on an RS7 and it’s a good one at that… so that’s a huge step-up from the M8—shame on you BMW; it’s a GT, not a Lambo
o Shift paddles are decent and far better than the stock M8s
o Steering wheel is way too skinny and does not feel sufficiently special for this level of vehicle
o Interior trim in this particular car was exposed dry carbon fiber weave and was lovely—I liked it a lot
---- However, there is piano black almost everywhere else and on every other control surface in the center console and dash and you cannot option it off
---- That said, it was a very good quality piano black (unlike many others)
o I didn’t have time to sufficiently explore connected tech but CarPlay and apps for this brand are unlikely to suck—no recent firsthand experience, though
o The physical/tactile/implicit connection between the driver and the car is just not the same as the M8 but that doesn’t necessarily make it bad—it’s not enough for me, though
---- This is a big contributor to the “hell no” outburst I mentioned earlier
o Build quality is as expected from an Audi: excellent
o Rear passenger seats are unacceptable and they’re just like the car’s lower brethren
---- This car needs to look & feel special even in the rear seats
o The overall driving position and the way the cockpit envelops you does not make you feel as at-one with the car as I’d like
---- the M8 does and it does it incredibly well
---- for me, this is another contributor to the “hell no” outburst I mentioned earlier
o Trunk capacity and ease-of-use/trunk versatility compared to the M8 GC is vastly superior
o Visibility is good
o Leather and upholstery are excellent as is seat comfort
---- I still love the diamond twill cross-stitch thing that Audi does so well
---- My M8 has a similar hexagonal equivalent but Audi’s is better
---- The M8 has metallic surfaces everywhere; the Audi does not and uses too much piano black
-:-:-:-: PS: piano black is a phrase to make glossy black plastic somehow cooler… just sayin’
---- Because you get an Alcantara one in BMWs for free… if you want, and it’s free if you don’t
---- But wait, I’m not done yet—you can’t have it unless you have the B&O 3D surround system for $4,900
---- So, to get a non-cloth roof interior covering costs $7,900 and comes with a sound system you didn’t ask for—that’s a solid WTF moment, Audi!

... and I'm done.
Way too much to love about this post but let's start it off with BMW COVID-19 facemask. That said given that I've never drove either car I'll steer away from the driving dynamics of the review. Still a lot to love though including that although the 8-series interior has been somewhat bashed as not being "special" vs a fully optioned other series but frankly if you get it right (which IMO BMW has) why re-invent the wheel for a specific model line.
Totally agree on this one. I was excited for them as they do not exist on my wife's X5 (iDrive 6) and as I was patiently going through the order process, etc. read several car reviews that summed them up as a gimmick. Live with the capability and you'll never go back. In fact I often finding myself trying to skip back or skip forward with the gesture controls only to realize I'm on SiriusXM vs my SSD and that is a "no go".
This one is interesting and may make me take a test drive with the 3D version once I can get my hands on one. Granted I've never auditioned a B&O car audio system but I've ran through the gamut of their speakers (everything from the Redlines to the current gen Beolab 50s) via in-home trials (my audio dealers give me more love than my BMW dealer) and I've never been impressed. That versus owning several B&Ws over the past couple of decades which were always obviously impressive.
-:-:-:-: PS: piano black is a phrase to make glossy black plastic
This one made me LOL as it used to mean a highly polished wood finish but to your point now it just means fancy plastic.
I've had Alcantara for the past decade plus and will never go back. Granted not "free" on the M850i but it was a reasonable $600. Can't remember the cost on my wife's X5 but guessing in the same ballpark. $3K is ridiculous. Throw in the fact you also need to "bundle" it with the 3D B&O at $5K is insult to injury. Back to the B&O I'll test it but doubt it's worth $5k over the B&W at $3400 on the 8-series.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 12-05-2020 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      12-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Interior, etc. aside but as for modding a 2021 RS7 for performance, etc. here you go... https://www.autoevolution.com/news/7...ph-152774.html
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      12-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #20
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
limeypride
---- this is a really great post
-:-:-: and sets a new benchmark
---- for
-:-:-:-: incisive
---- meaningful
---- believable
-:-:-:-: and credible insights.
---- We
-:-:-:-: will all be faced with
---- the decision
---- to
-:-:-:-: upgrade or change our car
---- to a new model
---- and I for one would rather
-:-:-:-: get these type of insights
---- from forum members
---- over automotive writers who
-:-:-:-: usually have some sort of
---- manufacturers bias.

The "verdict" line
---- really says it all
---- after all the meticulous analysis
-:-:-:-: logic (intelligence?)
---- you just had
---- to get back into the 8
-:-:-:-: and realise you
---- were still
-:-:-:-: in love.
---- So I'm going to put
---- the request in
---- to
---- everyone in the forum
-:-:-:-: that we emulate this thread
---- as we try out new cars.

P.S.
---- the mask was a big improvement !

P.P.S
---- this -:-:-:-: of yours is hypnotic.....
Appreciate 2
limeypride4423.50
stein_325i25075.00
      12-10-2020, 06:03 PM   #21
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
limeypride
---- for
---- meaningful
---- believable
---- We
---- the decision
---- to
---- to a new model
---- from forum members
---- manufacturers bias.

The "verdict" line
---- really says it all
---- you just had
---- were still
---- So I'm going to put
---- the request in
---- to

P.S.

P.P.S
LMAO

Thanks for the feedback. Man, you and I would have a blast over a beer or 10.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      12-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #22
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
limeypride
---- for
---- meaningful
---- believable
---- We
---- the decision
---- to
---- to a new model
---- from forum members
---- manufacturers bias.

The "verdict" line
---- really says it all
---- you just had
---- were still
---- So I'm going to put
---- the request in
---- to

P.S.

P.P.S

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00