M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion iDrive Upgrade To 07/2020

11-24-2020, 02:47 AM   #23
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Thanks for the info and I had looked at Bimmercode in the past but it was missing support for features I'm interested in enabling, e.g., Antidazzle, advanced ASL, etc. which are all coded out here in the US. I did come across a post on the X5 forum in which the OP used Bimmercode to create a custom interior ambient lighting scheme in "M colors" for his X5M so I'm assuming that was done via "expert mode". If someone had a cheat sheet for Antidazzle, advanced ASL, etc. for Bimmercode "expert mode" I'd likely be all in on it.

To your point EsyX appears pretty daunting and not for the faint of heart whatsoever. Hence, sitting on the fence so far even with Saunders17283 excellent how to guides published in his Esys thread which I was one of the forum members asking him to do. Generally I never shy away from modding any firmware, etc. but messing with a $100K plus device just scares me.
Yes the challenge with expert mode is that one has to know what to code (else not expert) so not plug & play anymore unless you know what all those settings/parameters mean and actually do. I coded most of the stuff for the attention assist from there but yes generally speaking Bimmercode does not give access to all the parameters/functions/settings that you can read out and manage when using Esys/EsysX. Of course if you have the right tool as mentioned this is pretty much "self-service" though I still think it requires (at least for me it did) some prior self-documentation and a little study of what you are actually going to do. In fact you said it "messing with a $100K plus device" is not something I'd do without having done my homework before. And yes those guides as the one initiated by Saunders are super helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 04:39 AM   #24
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

Quote:
That may indeed be the case, i.e., .60 includes the color rendering for 3D view vs the stock silver. However, in my case I too have an Individual paint albeit a "serial" one available for the M850i Coupe at roughly half the cost of the normal Individual charge. When you log into the My BMW portal which should default to My BMW Garage does it show the correct color for your GC? If so technically there is no reason the 3D View cannot render the car's color correctly. If you end up with a 11/2020 when you need the 1200 mile service hopefully that solves it. Or just complain that Car Play is disconnecting and they likely will just upgrade to whatever the latest version is.
On the phone app and if I log in to the connected drive on my PC it shows my car as white. Strangely it also quotes my car as white on my invoice from the dealer.

This is the same as when I had the M850i, that was San Marino blue but still showed white on he connected drive and on the invoice.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #25
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Coding via Esys is not as straightforward as it used to be.... You need an up-to-date launcher or an external system (e.g. EsysX) in order to properly DE-code all the CAFDs else you will not be able to see what you actually do. In fact you will not even know which ECU/parameter/function you are dealing with. So this implies purchasing a program that links to Esys and decodes the CAFDs.

For coding if you want to keep it easy without having to go the Esys/EsyX way, I suggest you take a look at a simple yet powerful APP like Bimmercode. All you need is an OBD bluetooth adapter and their app/license and you are set. It's very quick, user friendly to use and simple to understand. I mostly use Bimmercode (they also have an expert mode to get "deeper" into certain ECU parameters/functions) and turn to Esys only for flashing the complete car.

https://bimmercode.app/

This is used and mentioned a lot on Bimmerpost (on the other series forums) and there is a lot of information to be gathered. Just PM me if you need support or help with it but I am sure you will manage if you decide to go this route. While a decent OBD adapter is necessary, the useful thing with that is that you can also use it later with a given diagnostic app (e.g. bimmertool, torque pro) to diagnose your car and read out eventual fault codes present that do not necessarily trigger a check control warning/message for the driver to see it. That's just to say that such an OBD2 bluetooth adapter can serve several purposes.
Thanks for the info and I had looked at Bimmercode in the past but it was missing support for features I'm interested in enabling, e.g., Antidazzle, advanced ASL, etc. which are all coded out here in the US. I did come across a post on the X5 forum in which the OP used Bimmercode to create a custom interior ambient lighting scheme in "M colors" for his X5M so I'm assuming that was done via "expert mode". If someone had a cheat sheet for Antidazzle, advanced ASL, etc. for Bimmercode "expert mode" I'd likely be all in on it.

To your point EsyX appears pretty daunting and not for the faint of heart whatsoever. Hence, sitting on the fence so far even with Saunders17283 excellent how to guides published in his Esys thread which I was one of the forum members asking him to do. Generally I never shy away from modding any firmware, etc. but messing with a $100K plus device just scares me.
You and I both know we can do this by ourselves. However, to maintain pace with the updates as things change isn't tenable or desirable for me and I suspect you. If I'm right, ping me off-forum and I'll introduce you to my guy that keeps my life that little bit simpler.
With my background in computer science and electronic engineering; I'm sure I could do it my self. However I still prefer to call r33_RGSport to do it for me.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12803.00
limeypride4418.50
      11-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #26
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Coding via Esys is not as straightforward as it used to be.... You need an up-to-date launcher or an external system (e.g. EsysX) in order to properly DE-code all the CAFDs else you will not be able to see what you actually do. In fact you will not even know which ECU/parameter/function you are dealing with. So this implies purchasing a program that links to Esys and decodes the CAFDs.

For coding if you want to keep it easy without having to go the Esys/EsyX way, I suggest you take a look at a simple yet powerful APP like Bimmercode. All you need is an OBD bluetooth adapter and their app/license and you are set. It's very quick, user friendly to use and simple to understand. I mostly use Bimmercode (they also have an expert mode to get "deeper" into certain ECU parameters/functions) and turn to Esys only for flashing the complete car.

https://bimmercode.app/

This is used and mentioned a lot on Bimmerpost (on the other series forums) and there is a lot of information to be gathered. Just PM me if you need support or help with it but I am sure you will manage if you decide to go this route. While a decent OBD adapter is necessary, the useful thing with that is that you can also use it later with a given diagnostic app (e.g. bimmertool, torque pro) to diagnose your car and read out eventual fault codes present that do not necessarily trigger a check control warning/message for the driver to see it. That's just to say that such an OBD2 bluetooth adapter can serve several purposes.

You and I both know we can do this by ourselves. However, to maintain pace with the updates as things change isn't tenable or desirable for me and I suspect you. If I'm right, ping me off-forum and I'll introduce you to my guy that keeps my life that little bit simpler.
With my background in computer science and electronic engineering; I'm sure I could do it my self. However I still prefer to call r33_RGSport to do it for me.
That's bloozeman's and my area of expertise, too.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12803.00
      11-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #27
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar View Post
On the phone app and if I log in to the connected drive on my PC it shows my car as white. Strangely it also quotes my car as white on my invoice from the dealer.

This is the same as when I had the M850i, that was San Marino blue but still showed white on he connected drive and on the invoice.
Interesting and that appears to prove it that a true custom Individual paint cannot be rendered by BMW's portal (truly sad) and with that being the case there is no way the Connected Drive app even stands a chance to do so. Here's the kicker, i.e., the Individual Visualizer can do it but the rest of BMW's digital world cannot. At the risk of being banned (inside joke with stein_325i) it just once again proves that BMW is an absolute neophyte in the digital world and can't punch their way out of a paper bag when it comes to software competency.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      11-24-2020, 07:15 PM   #28
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've coded and hacked literally every OS known to mankind, e.g., AIX, Android, BSD, iOS, Linux, MacOS, NeXTSTEP, Solaris, SunOS, Windows OS, etc. but the majority of that was for my job outside of the Android and iOS (I jailbreak all of my mobile devices). To your point I have no desire to keep up with a new world, i.e., iDrive and the changes associated as that is not tenable nor desirable whatsoever as I have bigger fish to fry in my world of keeping my home (yes, it comes first) and my employer's environment secure. Sending you a PM for the details.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #29
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
bloozemanAZ thanks for the newsy update. I received a notification in my app 10 days ago that 07/2020.54 was ready for upgrade.

Next time I started my car, the app download commenced. I've since downloaded the update to the phone app and am using in car WiFi to upgrade (recommended).

After 10 days I am at only 28% complete. Nothing I seem to do makes a difference, such as go for a very long drive, or refresh the WiFi connection. So I think you made the right move getting your dealer to upgrade it for you.

I will provide an update once the software has been upgraded, especially on the pressure wave pulsation sounds (we are not allowed to call it 'controlled backfire').
Any updates? Hoping it went smoothly and your PWPS's remained in tact, they should as the OTA updates would not affect driveline type components.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      11-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #30
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Any updates? Hoping it went smoothly and your PWPS's remained in tact, they should as the OTA updates would not affect driveline type components.
RJC-1 - PWPS's love a new acronym.

Well after 15 days I'm at 73%. Roughly averaging 90 minutes a day with engine running/driving. So 28% to 73% in 5 days = 45% of the update loaded. 90 minutes per day over 5 days = 450 minutes. That would indicate a transfer rate of 1% every 10 minutes.

In checking my phone I see the BMW Connected app has downloaded a file which is 997MB in size. Continuing further down the math path, 45% of this would equate to 448MB. If we convert 448MB to megabits then we end up with 3,584. Of course 450 minutes equals 27,000 seconds. Now completing the division this would give us an effective transfer rate of 0.13 mbps.

BMW technological wizardry.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      11-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #31
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post

Well after 15 days I'm at 73%. Roughly averaging 90 minutes a day with engine running/driving. So 28% to 73% in 5 days = 45% of the update loaded. 90 minutes per day over 5 days = 450 minutes. That would indicate a transfer rate of 1% every 10 minutes.

In checking my phone I see the BMW Connected app has downloaded a file which is 997MB in size. Continuing further down the math path, 45% of this would equate to 448MB. If we convert 448MB to megabits then we end up with 3,584. Of course 450 minutes equals 27,000 seconds. Now completing the division this would give us an effective transfer rate of 0.13 mbps.

Excellent. So our cars are equipped with a V32 bis modem—that data rate is absurd. It wouldn't surprise me at this point if an acoustic coupler and a rotary dial phone was buried under the passenger seat.
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #32
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Excellent. So our cars are equipped with a V32 bis modem—that data rate is absurd. It wouldn't surprise me at this point if an acoustic coupler and a rotary dial phone was buried under the passenger seat.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      11-25-2020, 06:01 PM   #33
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Something is just not tracking right with this considering the dedicated WiFi between the phone and the car at even a 2.4 GHz speed (not sure if it is 5 GHz) that makes absolute zero sense. If memory serves my 11/2019.70 OTA update was roughly 300MB and it took 10 minutes at best to send it to the car from my Pixel 3XL.

Edit: Out of curiosity I checked the WiFi connection and it is indeed 5 GHz which means BMW is either using 802.11n or 802.11ac within the car. This boils down to an easily achievable 400 Mbps plus transfer rate so the entire file should transfer well within the 90 minutes of your per day use.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 11-25-2020 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:15 PM   #34
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Geez, keep us posted.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:30 PM   #35
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Damn, I looked and you are right
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      11-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #36
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:
Damn, I looked and you are right
LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #37
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
So with some more time behind the wheel with the 07/2020.60 release and although perhaps subjective I'd have to say it did take another hit on the exhaust sound over 11/2019.70 (which is a 2020 release) that initially neutered it. I say subjective as its not like I had SPL measurements but to my ears Sport Plus took a small step backward over 11/2019.70. I can still get it to bang an pop (aka gurgles) but seemingly less on demand than what was achievable before.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:37 AM   #38
darkchi1d
Rep
Drives: 650i Gran Coupe

Does anyone know if these updates are region specific or are they universal to all cars?

To clarify; I meant the changes the exhaust note with the idrive updates
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #39
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchi1d View Post
Does anyone know if these updates are region specific or are they universal to all cars?

To clarify; I meant the changes the exhaust note with the idrive updates
They are region specific as far as we can source based on forum member input. It started in the EU first given recent regulations but hit the US as well. The catch-22 is in the US there are about 12 states with exhaust sound regulations but BMW has applied the update universally as it would be a logistical nightmare to try and do otherwise. Hence, although here in AZ we have no such restrictions (the law on the books just states we need a working muffler) it hit my M850i.

Given it appears you are in the UAE it is unknown as to how BMW will handle the region. That said if they follow the manufacturing lowest common denominator principle (reduces COGS) and keep a minimal number of code branches for the M850i iDrive releases it may apply everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:12 PM   #40
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
So with some more time behind the wheel with the 07/2020.60 release and although perhaps subjective I'd have to say it did take another hit on the exhaust sound over 11/2019.70 (which is a 2020 release) that initially neutered it. I say subjective as its not like I had SPL measurements but to my ears Sport Plus took a small step backward over 11/2019.70. I can still get it to bang an pop (aka gurgles) but seemingly less on demand than what was achievable before.
You make me so glad that I still have 11.2019.25.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #41
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
You make me so glad that I still have 11.2019.25.
Stick with it my friend especially since you are trying to sell it as the original glorious exhaust sound may push a prospective buyer over the ledge.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #42
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just want to clarify, are you saying the OTA update also affected exhaust sound? OTA updates should have no effect on the exhaust sounds.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #43
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

The answer is yes it can have "undesired effects" depending on what ECUs it updates I know it can wipe an ECU remap because my tuner confirmed this to me. To be consistent, I asked a couple of other tuners in Germany and they also said that ECU remaps can be lost with an OTA update. The latter does more than just updating your Idrive system or headunit ecu. Thus what many confirm as having had their original soundnotes overwritten and "silenced" by some other parameters introduced by later updates (as compared to the early 2019 versions) is unfortunately true and proven by their very feedback.
As my M850i had its DME remapped, I will update mine to latest level only next year (I prefer to self-flash the complete car anyway) since only then, I will be seeing my tuner again (German trip planned) who unfortunately is a little far away from where I live. Mine is on 07.2020 and I have got most of the new stuff already activated - either with the July update (e.g. Android Auto), or through self-coding (advanced attention assist stuff).
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      11-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #44
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow, that's not good. I asked my tech at the dealership (he's one of their best) months ago and was told they would not.

I have a BDC (Body Domain Controller) fault affecting the "driver readiness" that requires "programming" to correct but I'm scared to have anything done that might affect the ECU and told the dealer to let it be. I am experiencing no issues other than an occasional "vehicle will turn off soon" message which goes away quickly after a 1/4 mile of driving, and my battery trickle charger is acting weirdly at times (thinking they're related). I started the 850 yesterday and it roars, even crackles and pops after blipping the gas in comfort mode...don't want to lose that!

Are you familiar with the BDC?

Thanks

Appreciate 0