M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850i runflats vs normal tires

12-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
Andycam
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i xDrive Coupé

M850i runflats vs normal tires

Wondering if the community could help me out here as neither my future dealer nor BMW Sweden seems able to provide an answer.

Is it interchangeable to use non-runflat tires on a car factory delivered with runflats?

The reason I'm asking what is perhaps a stupid question is that when I ordered my F32 in 2015 runflats were the only option from factory. I had heard a lot of negatives about runflats over the years and was a bit concerned in terms of ride quality, performance etc. My sales rep then said that runflat technology had evolved and those caveats were gone and that the car was also designed specifically for the characteristics of runflats - shocks etc were all designed with the harder tires in mind. Therefore, I was strongly advised to stick to runflats summer and winter tires as mounting non-runflats would alter the feel and behavior of the car to the point of affecting safety.

I'm now about to get a used 2019 M850i that's delivered on 20" runflats. I'm not a massive fan of big rims, I prefer a more compliant ride and if given the option I would have preferred 19". First-world problems... So I'm thinking of getting non-runflats for my winter wheels and for the summer 20"s when the current ones are put out to pasture. If I look at the BMW online configurator it seems that for all rims on a new M850i there are two cost-neutral choices - runflats or normal tires. Would that affect anything in the manufacturing process or is it now perfectly fine to swap back and forth between runflats and normal ones (provided you don't mix of course) without drawbacks?

And do you know if the serious uneven and massive tire wear issues reported on the 8 in other threads are related to normal or RFTs?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

You can absolutely use non-runflats on your BMW. Best to have a backup plan in place if you catch a flat tire though, as there will be no jack or spare tire.
      12-02-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycam View Post
Wondering if the community could help me out here as neither my future dealer nor BMW Sweden seems able to provide an answer.

Is it interchangeable to use non-runflat tires on a car factory delivered with runflats?

The reason I'm asking what is perhaps a stupid question is that when I ordered my F32 in 2015 runflats were the only option from factory. I had heard a lot of negatives about runflats over the years and was a bit concerned in terms of ride quality, performance etc. My sales rep then said that runflat technology had evolved and those caveats were gone and that the car was also designed specifically for the characteristics of runflats - shocks etc were all designed with the harder tires in mind. Therefore, I was strongly advised to stick to runflats summer and winter tires as mounting non-runflats would alter the feel and behavior of the car to the point of affecting safety.

I'm now about to get a used 2019 M850i that's delivered on 20" runflats. I'm not a massive fan of big rims, I prefer a more compliant ride and if given the option I would have preferred 19". First-world problems... So I'm thinking of getting non-runflats for my winter wheels and for the summer 20"s when the current ones are put out to pasture. If I look at the BMW online configurator it seems that for all rims on a new M850i there are two cost-neutral choices - runflats or normal tires. Would that affect anything in the manufacturing process or is it now perfectly fine to swap back and forth between runflats and normal ones (provided you don't mix of course) without drawbacks?

And do you know if the serious uneven and massive tire wear issues reported on the 8 in other threads are related to normal or RFTs?
My 2019 M850i came with the Bridgestone Potenza non runflats on the 728 20's. I have the 19" Winter package with Pirelli Sottozero runflats. Haven't had any problems and I wouldn't think it an issue to switch back and forth. The 20" Potenzas and the 19" Sottozero's actually seem to be similar in firmness, with maybe a touch softer going to the 19" runflats winters. So maybe a non runflat winters in 19 would be gentler I'm thinking.

Hope others can chime in with more of their experience and insights.
      12-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

"Therefore, I was strongly advised to stick to runflats summer and winter tires as mounting non-runflats would alter the feel and behavior of the car to the point of affecting safety."

Based on that statement, BMW should not offer the following package at all:

Cooling and High Performance Tire Package

+$1,850

20" M V-spoke jet black wheels, style 728M with high performance non run-flat tires

Else there would be TWO versions of each model - one made for runflat tires one for standard tires..... that is nonsense. Yes the feel will be altered but in a better way - smoother rides = higher comfort and not feeling every little uneven part of a road let alone holes or other major road defect. Should I add less weight? And and and and. Now that rep should explain how would this alter safety other than remaining on the road without a spare tire and having to call for help? Indeed it is not an "ideal" situation should it occur, but it does not make the car unsafe by any means! Nor does it damage or compromise any of its components.

Plenty can be read and researched regarding runflat vs. non-runflat and one should decide what makes most sense for their driving needs. Fact is most people wish for non-runflat and avoid runflat tires in the 1st place for obvious reasons. Thus do not worry and mount if you please some nice sports NON-runflat tires as the ones offered in the high performance tire package.

20" wheels are just perfect for this car and its body chassis. Actually I am even leaning towards a nice 21" setup but not a priority of mine and I am first intending to perform a few more upgrades. 19" for winter is perfect, as anything below that makes for a strange stance in my opinion especially when looking at the car from the back.
Appreciate 1
Andycam55.50
      12-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:

I dont know of the option is available in the EU etc. but if you can get the HP Tire and Cooling option it's great (I have it). It offers Michelin Pilot Sport NON run flats, a HP aux oil cooler, HP cooling fan, extended shadow line trim, air compressor (mobility kit) and gloss black M spec 728 rims.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
Andycam55.50
      12-02-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

There is no such package available as in the US. However upon choosing the 728 M style wheels (which ever color) you have the option to choose between runflat tires or non-runflat. However, the 729 M (bicolor) and the 730 V-style wheels are only available with RUNFLAT ones - at least in the configurator when building a new one.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
Andycam
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I dont know of the option is available in the EU etc. but if you can get the HP Tire and Cooling option it's great (I have it). It offers Michelin Pilot Sport NON run flats, a HP aux oil cooler, HP cooling fan, extended shadow line trim, air compressor (mobility kit) and gloss black M spec 728 rims.
Can't find that specific combo here, although the "Motorsport Engineering Package"/"M Technology Package" (option code 33T) with front spoiler lip, auxiliary cooler etc comes standard on all Swedish M850i now. All 2019s don't have it, but it seems my prospective one does

Will call the dealer and say "let's do this" tomorrow
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS603.50
      12-02-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
Andycam
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
There is no such package available as in the US. However upon choosing the 728 M style wheels (which ever color) you have the option to choose between runflat tires or non-runflat. However, the 729 M (bicolor) and the 730 V-style wheels are only available with RUNFLAT ones - at least in the configurator when building a new one.
Same here. And all priced the same - at 0. The 840i though is a different story. There you pay a (hefty) price premium if you want the 728 with runflats, whereas 728 with normal tires are at no charge...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #9
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Congratulation on your choice if you are going for it! You will love it.
All M850i I have looked at which are MY2019 did have the Motorsport engineering package (S33TA) included. Not sure there is any difference from one European country to another with regard to this package or if perhaps some early ones produced in 2018 do not feature the S33TA package? Most important thing is the one you will get does.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #10
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Same here. And all priced the same - at 0. The 840i though is a different story. There you pay a (hefty) price premium if you want the 728 with runflats, whereas 728 with normal tires are at no charge...
Indeed and that shows it makes sense that BMW leaves this choice as they know many if not most will opt for non-flat tires when configuring the car given the option when selecting those wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 06:16 PM   #11
Beethoven3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i, 2009 650, 2006 650

Quote:
I also have the HP Tire and Cooling option with the shadow line trim, but have the Bridgestone Potenza non run flats rather than Michelin Pilot Sport. Last month, I hit a large pothole on I-10 at about 80 mph. I immediately noticed a slight vibration and some rattling in the steering column as well as additional road noise. I took the car to my dealer which wanted to sell me two new front rims at $1200 each, replace the front tires at $470 each, and align the car at over $400. In other words, a $3000+ repair for hitting a pothole (I did not opt for the wheel and tire insurance as I never had a problem other than normal wear on my prior 650). Needless to say I declined the dealer's quote and took the car to my local tire place. They fixed the wheels at $250 each and showed me the test indicating I did not need an alignment. However, they also recommended I replace the front tires due to a bubble on one of the tires and abnormal wear on both the inside and outside tire walls. The odometer was at just over 7,000 miles, so I was shocked by the amount of wear on the Bridgestones, despite my sometimes "spirited driving" as discussed in another thread regarding abnormal wear on Bridgestone non run flats. I had the car fitted with the same front tires as before, but will switch to either Michelins or Pirellis if the wear issue continues.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #12
Beethoven3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beethoven3 View Post
I also have the HP Tire and Cooling option with the shadow line trim, but have the Bridgestone Potenza non run flats rather than Michelin Pilot Sport. Last month, I hit a large pothole on I-10 at about 80 mph. I immediately noticed a slight vibration and some rattling in the steering column as well as additional road noise. I took the car to my dealer which wanted to sell me two new front rims at $1200 each, replace the front tires at $470 each, and align the car at over $400. In other words, a $3000+ repair for hitting a pothole (I did not opt for the wheel and tire insurance as I never had a problem other than normal wear on my prior 650). Needless to say I declined the dealer's quote and took the car to my local tire place. They fixed the wheels at $250 each and showed me the test indicating I did not need an alignment. However, they also recommended I replace the front tires due to a bubble on one of the tires and abnormal wear on both the inside and outside tire walls. The odometer was at just over 7,000 miles, so I was shocked by the amount of wear on the Bridgestones, despite my sometimes "spirited driving" as discussed in another thread regarding abnormal wear on Bridgestone non run flats. I had the car fitted with the same front tires as before, but will switch to either Michelins or Pirellis if the wear issue continues.
To clarify, I had my M850 fitted with NEW front Bridgestones. Even without the abnormal wear, the bubble required that the tires be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 10:58 PM   #13
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When it comes time to replace all 4 def go with Pilots...fwiw all the other HP Cooling/Tire 850's I've seen (mostly online) thus far all had Pilots.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 06:50 PM   #14
Beethoven3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
When it comes time to replace all 4 def go with Pilots...fwiw all the other HP Cooling/Tire 850's I've seen (mostly online) thus far all had Pilots.
RJC, I will likely opt for the Pilots when I replace all four tires. There seems to be a design flaw in the Bridgestone non run flats which creates the abnormal wear. Odd, as I never had this problem with Bridgestone run flats on my 650. My M850i was built to order, but I have no idea how BMW determines which tire brand to put on at the factory since most others seem to have Michelin non run flats. Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #15
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
RJC, I will likely opt for the Pilots when I replace all four tires. There seems to be a design flaw in the Bridgestone non run flats which creates the abnormal wear. Odd, as I never had this problem with Bridgestone run flats on my 650. My M850i was built to order, but I have no idea how BMW determines which tire brand to put on at the factory since most others seem to have Michelin non run flats. Thanks for the advice.
For the first model year many (not all) euro manufactures of hp cars will use the best (Pilots) and then add in a less expensive brand. I'd assume you had your alignment checked at the dealership and/or indie shop?

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
However, they also recommended I replace the front tires due to a bubble on one of the tires and abnormal wear on both the inside and outside tire walls. The odometer was at just over 7,000 miles, so I was shocked by the amount of wear on the Bridgestones, despite my sometimes "spirited driving" as discussed in another thread regarding abnormal wear on Bridgestone non run flats. I had the car fitted with the same front tires as before, but will switch to either Michelins or Pirellis if the wear issue continues.
The threads on Bridgestones regarding "spirited driving" are primarily regarding run flats but overall they seem to have issues on the 8-series with Xdrive. The Pirelli P-Zero (PZ4s) run flats that came on my M850i so far have been performing flawlessly with zero issues from abnormal tread wear but then again I only have about 4500 miles on them but at least 2K of that is highly spirited driving as that is about what I've clocked up in my performance runs on my "track" through the desert backroads in which I'll push at 120MPH into some of the turns after becoming comfortable with the car. The rest is mostly errand runs to the grocery store, etc. but even then after I passed the 1200 mile break-in I still DILYSI more often than not.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #17
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
My m850i has the high performance tyres (as posted above). I went from a 640d on run flats to the m850i on high performance.

The run flats are dog
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 02:46 AM   #18
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

As I am often looking on the DE Bay for a set of winter wheels (though really more for next winter not this one), I have come across several 20" wheel sets with Bridgestone tires and they in fact did look abnormal - mostly irregularly worn out as can be seen on some of the pics posted by the seller. On other listings with Michelin tires I hardly noticed this. Now this could be just coincidence, but justed wanted to give this feedback.
My Michelin PS NON-runflat (car has just over 11.000 KM) tires look fine so far and regularly worn both on the inside and outside.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 09:02 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
As I am often looking on the DE Bay for a set of winter wheels (though really more for next winter not this one), I have come across several 20" wheel sets with Bridgestone tires and they in fact did look abnormal - mostly irregularly worn out as can be seen on some of the pics posted by the seller. On other listings with Michelin tires I hardly noticed this. Now this could be just coincidence, but justed wanted to give this feedback.
My Michelin PS NON-runflat (car has just over 11.000 KM) tires look fine so far and regularly worn both on the inside and outside.
This just boggles my mind, i.e., why would anybody be trying to sell a set of wheels/tires in which the tires have abnormal wear? Perhaps the listing was based on the value of the wheels (aka rims) vs the tires as obviously they are useless in the transaction. Anything I Ebay or Audiogon (market place for audio gear) is in perfect condition and just looking for a new home.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 02:13 AM   #20
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
This just boggles my mind, i.e., why would anybody be trying to sell a set of wheels/tires in which the tires have abnormal wear? Perhaps the listing was based on the value of the wheels (aka rims) vs the tires as obviously they are useless in the transaction. Anything I Ebay or Audiogon (market place for audio gear) is in perfect condition and just looking for a new home.
Indeed I agree. In fact the tires in those auctions are not relevant to me because they are sommer ones. As it's hard to almost impossible to find a plug & play winter set of 20" for the M850i, the intention is to "compose" my own one. I am looking (not a must this winter since we have other daily drives) for original 20" BMW rims but as it often happens many are selling them with tires. Some are really in good conditions while others less..... As I am not settling for 19" in winter, but rather want 20ies (rigorously staggered), I am "forced" to look at wheels which have summer tires one. Often, at least on the DE Bay, the price is better as a set not to mention that 9 listings out of 10 come so - regardless of the tires' conditions. So it happened while looking that I came across a couple of sets with the Bridgestone ones on. Consider many do not want to go through the trouble of undoing the tires knowing the buyer will either drive a short period with them or replace them anyway - especially when the rims are in very good to mint conditions. But again not a must now, just checking what is on.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #21
Andycam
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Indeed I agree. In fact the tires in those auctions are not relevant to me because they are sommer ones. As it's hard to almost impossible to find a plug & play winter set of 20" for the M850i, the intention is to "compose" my own one. I am looking (not a must this winter since we have other daily drives) for original 20" BMW rims but as it often happens many are selling them with tires. Some are really in good conditions while others less..... As I am not settling for 19" in winter, but rather want 20ies (rigorously staggered), I am "forced" to look at wheels which have summer tires one. Often, at least on the DE Bay, the price is better as a set not to mention that 9 listings out of 10 come so - regardless of the tires' conditions. So it happened while looking that I came across a couple of sets with the Bridgestone ones on. Consider many do not want to go through the trouble of undoing the tires knowing the buyer will either drive a short period with them or replace them anyway - especially when the rims are in very good to mint conditions. But again not a must now, just checking what is on.
How would summer rims cope with your winter road conditions? Here in Sweden where they use copious amounts of road salts many car manufacturers and 3rd party rim manufacturers have rims designed specifically for winter use and salt exposure. What it actually means in terms of construction or paint/lacquer I don't know...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 05:53 PM   #22
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How would summer rims cope with your winter road conditions? Here in Sweden where they use copious amounts of road salts many car manufacturers and 3rd party rim manufacturers have rims designed specifically for winter use and salt exposure. What it actually means in terms of construction or paint/lacquer I don't know...
I do not live in a mountain area plus winters are not what they used to be. Cars "saw" the first salt a couple of weeks ago around here and way less salt is being spread compared to some years back when we saw the snow in October as good as every year. Actually the "salty" period is way shorter than it used to be. And this matters.
But other than that, is there such thing? I have seen aftermarket wheels as well as BMW wheels, supposedely "designed specifically for winter use and salt exposure" deteriorate or get really ugly from salt and corrosion. I have seen it on an F30 of a friend who follows every comma and dot BMW mentions, and guess what? His wheels got the "aluminium cancer" despite being what BMW defines as "winter complete set" and mine didn't (19" original non-winter set). Do you really think there is a difference in "winter resistance" between the 727 wheels and the 733 ones? Or between the 728 and the 730ies? It's just that 19" will give you better traction control, possibly use less fuel and be all together the better winter choice. I have yet to see or read anywhere that BMW have wheels that are more resistant to salt or any other agents. I am not interested in aftermarket/3rd Party wheels for winter. I opt for original ones and want to keep same size as summer. On all my previous BMWs I never had any issues with the bigger size and with the staggered setup. Based on my experience, and on where I live, I have no reasons for changing this.
Appreciate 0