M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion How to Stop EXCESSIVE Brake dust

11-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
dinanm4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

How to Stop EXCESSIVE Brake dust

This ladies and gentlemen is the simplest thing you can do to your 8 series for significant improvement. Ceramic brake pads!

For the longest time I have driven bmws and always hated brake dust more than I hate paying for the car itself. I knew ceramic was an available option, but always ignored it due to reports of excessive noise.

However, my M850i was awful with brake dust. After a 30 mile drive, my wheels became brown. This looked especially bad on gloss black. Rather than waste time aggressively cleaning wheels, I decided to look for a solution.

Ordered a set of Dynamic Friction ceramic pads from rock auto for just under $100 front and back. After 80 miles of driving, my wheels are still glossy black showing minimal dust. Very subtle noise as well. Rather have that than gross wheels! Couldn't be happier with my decision.

Cannot recommend this upgrade enough!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
BKgreyinTX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinanm4 View Post
This ladies and gentlemen is the simplest thing you can do to your 8 series for significant improvement. Ceramic brake pads!

For the longest time I have driven bmws and always hated brake dust more than I hate paying for the car itself. I knew ceramic was an available option, but always ignored it due to reports of excessive noise.

However, my M850i was awful with brake dust. After a 30 mile drive, my wheels became brown. This looked especially bad on gloss black. Rather than waste time aggressively cleaning wheels, I decided to look for a solution.

Ordered a set of Dynamic Friction ceramic pads from rock auto for just under $100 front and back. After 80 miles of driving, my wheels are still glossy black showing minimal dust. Very subtle noise as well. Rather have that than gross wheels! Couldn't be happier with my decision.

Cannot recommend this upgrade enough!!
COMPLETELY AGREE!

Swapped to ceramic pads on my F10, and the improvement was immediately noticeable. Will likely do same on this car. After washing and backing it back into garage the first press of the brakes kicks off the orange dust! Extremely annoying after meticulously washing the car. ARRGH!!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:53 PM   #3
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

The only con is the initial bite, not as good as originals. I swapped for ceramics on my F86 and lost the initial bite the originals had, but again maybe it showed more on a heavy truck.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Ceramic Pads FTW!!! I've owned 4 Bimmers and this is always the first mod.
Sure they don't bite as hard but I will give that up each and every time to save my wheels from looking like they've been dipped in charcoal.
Appreciate 1
Al Pinã1838.50
      11-12-2020, 09:03 PM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Granted that I'm not anal (no offense meant whatsoever) regarding brake dust on the rims considering here in AZ I've got dust on the car literally a hour after it is washed. But I'm interested if what I'm reading states for $100 I can go ceramic. This begs the question and pardon the ignorance what is the difference between the BMW CCB option (not available on a M850i) and the aftermarket solution? Just curious for future potential purposes as if I can go after market at a near fraction of the cost why would I go with the factory CCB?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 09:45 PM   #6
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

As an uneducated guess I say the factory one is the whole package with the carbon disks on all 4 corners as well as much better pads than the aftermarket ceramics. the dust is the bite and trust me when I tell you coming to a quick stop from 100 MPH, you need the bite.

Last edited by BeeMdblU; 11-13-2020 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 12:46 AM   #7
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Granted that I'm not anal (no offense meant whatsoever) regarding brake dust on the rims considering here in AZ I've got dust on the car literally a hour after it is washed. But I'm interested if what I'm reading states for $100 I can go ceramic. This begs the question and pardon the ignorance what is the difference between the BMW CCB option (not available on a M850i) and the aftermarket solution? Just curious for future potential purposes as if I can go after market at a near fraction of the cost why would I go with the factory CCB?
Ginormous difference! This $8k option on most European cars are due to substituting the typical iron rotors with full ceramic rotors. I'm not sure what the pad material is? Definitely waaaaaaay overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 02:53 AM   #8
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
The ROTORS are the parts (in that EXPENSIVE CCB optional brakes upgrade) that makes up the largest portion of the asked amount. Though their inferior weight is also part of the premium to be paid. In fact you can shave off quite quite some KGs (between 12 and 20 KG depending on the M model). Although very expensive, one should consider that under "normal" driving conditions they could last a lifetime or certainly many years. I believe everyone have to consider for themselves whether the CCB package is worth all that money or not. I see it the conventional way meaning if I was to track my car every now and then, I would want my M car to have them. That not being the case, I would probably spend the extra money on other optional specs, especially if I was on a given budget.

As for conventional vs ceramic pads, the price premium to be paid is usually minimum-medium depending on the brand/model. Another reason for going ceramic, next to the reduced brake dust would be the NOISE-LEVEL. They are supposedly, and according to many people's experience quieter than their counterparts. And we know how "ugly" it can be (I have experienced it with the Ferodo DS2500 pads) when approaching a traffic light in slow braking motion behind other cars and you receive all the attention due to your vehicle sounding like a FREIGHT TRAIN....
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 06:38 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
The ROTORS are the parts (in that EXPENSIVE CCB optional brakes upgrade) that makes up the largest portion of the asked amount. Though their inferior weight is also part of the premium to be paid. In fact you can shave off quite quite some KGs (between 12 and 20 KG depending on the M model). Although very expensive, one should consider that under "normal" driving conditions they could last a lifetime or certainly many years. I believe everyone have to consider for themselves whether the CCB package is worth all that money or not. I see it the conventional way meaning if I was to track my car every now and then, I would want my M car to have them. That not being the case, I would probably spend the extra money on other optional specs, especially if I was on a given budget.

As for conventional vs ceramic pads, the price premium to be paid is usually minimum-medium depending on the brand/model. Another reason for going ceramic, next to the reduced brake dust would be the NOISE-LEVEL. They are supposedly, and according to many people's experience quieter than their counterparts. And we know how "ugly" it can be (I have experienced it with the Ferodo DS2500 pads) when approaching a traffic light in slow braking motion behind other cars and you receive all the attention due to your vehicle sounding like a FREIGHT TRAIN....
Thanks and appreciate the insight to the difference between what I'll now call "full" CCB for just ceramic pads.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 11:01 PM   #10
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Anyone tried using compressed air to blast it off before it builds up?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 07:08 AM   #11
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

I had them on my M6 and braking performance was at least 10-20% diminished. It is the compromise you live with for much reduced dust. On my M8 I went with the CCBs so good riddance to all of that.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #12
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Tried these type of pads on another M car and nearly lost my sh1t. I brake late and hard. On circuits I'm threshold braking at 2 or 1. They aren't for everyone.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0