M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Buying a 'New' 12/2018 MFG Date M850i

11-26-2020, 10:39 PM   #1
Sta808
Registered
Rep
Drives: None

Question Buying a 'New' 12/2018 MFG Date M850i

As per the title, I'm looking to buy a M850i, I was initially looking for used to save some money but there are none available in the colour I want, approved used with warranty etc..

A dealer has offered a 12/2018 manufacture date M850i which has never been registered, are there any downsides to getting this versus a newer model year/manufacturer date car? I'm thinking in terms of head unit or other part differences, known issues that were later rectified etc...

Lastly, can anyone give any insight as to what sort of discount I should be pushing for on this as soon it will be a 2 year old model year and they still haven't sold it so presumably they might be more incentivised to give a discount to get rid of it?

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:29 AM   #2
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Well I can tell you the second you drive off the lot the car is worth mid 70's.

2019 M850i coupe wholesale value on trade is mid 70's

Unless you get south of 80k no chance I would buy it
      11-27-2020, 02:19 AM   #3
Sta808
Registered
Rep

I guess I should mention that I am based in the UAE so the market seems to be a bit different here to say the least... if anyone with UAE experience can chip in it would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 02:51 AM   #4
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

I bought mine used (few KM and registered a little longer than a year ago) for less than half of the new price which was whopping (my 2019 M850i is full optional except for night vision and extended Merino Leather instead of full). In fact I prefer to buy my cars and not lease them given I want to perform retrofits, tune them and much more that I could not do with a lease without worrying or having to undo everything later on in case of not holding onto it. Labor costs here are very high and installing and uninstalling parts costs a fortune.....
For a brand new custom built (full options) M850i my dealer here in Switzerland gave me an offer with a 35% discount (this also included a negotiated fleet company discount) but it was almost 50 grand more than what the used market here spots right now if you are looking at a 2019 M850i. So I declined it and decided to buy it used but basically in mint conditions which was fundamental for me. Thus even if it depreciates further, which it will, my loss will be "contained" and given I like to hold a car for 5-6 years I feel good about what I paid for the enjoyment this is giving me and will give me in the years to come.
My take is if you like and want the car BUY it. If you are worried about huge depreciations, lease it or buy a 2019 M850i used of 1-2 years with low mileage which has most likely and already lost most of its value.
Appreciate 2
LSM1118.00
      11-27-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sta808 View Post
As per the title, I'm looking to buy a M850i, I was initially looking for used to save some money but there are none available in the colour I want, approved used with warranty etc..

A dealer has offered a 12/2018 manufacture date M850i which has never been registered, are there any downsides to getting this versus a newer model year/manufacturer date car? I'm thinking in terms of head unit or other part differences, known issues that were later rectified etc...

Lastly, can anyone give any insight as to what sort of discount I should be pushing for on this as soon it will be a 2 year old model year and they still haven't sold it so presumably they might be more incentivised to give a discount to get rid of it?

Thanks a lot!
I have a 2019 m850i and I've ordered a 2022. There is NO difference between the new and old m850i. Except the software. Depending what versions of I drive software (11.2019.35 or 07.2020.60) has a major impact.

Ask bloozemanAZ about software differences.

But otherwise it's the same car. However a 2018 manufacturing should be about 60% of MSRP sticker max price.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I have a 2019 m850i and I've ordered a 2022. There is NO difference between the new and old m850i. Except the software. Depending what versions of I drive software (11.2019.35 or 07.2020.60) has a major impact.

Ask bloozemanAZ about software differences.

But otherwise it's the same car. However a 2018 manufacturing should be about 60% of MSRP sticker max price.
As others have stated there is no difference between a 2019, 2020 and the 2021s. That said there are some packages on the 2019s that became standard on the 2020s moving forward, e.g., Comfort Seating but if the car is loaded it should be an absolute equivalent. That said make sure it has both the Driving Assistance Package as well as Driving Assistance Professional Package. The key being that with both of those packages although some features were only officially released in iDrive 7 with the 2020/2021s you can have the 2019 coded to support them all.

In regards to the iDrive release itself its hard to say what is on a 2018 manufacturing date but whatever it is moving it to a 2020 release will neuter the exhaust sound. Not sure if that matters to you or not but anything in the 11/2019.35 to 11/2019.55 will not have an adverse impact to the exhaust sound. If you can care less about that then the car can be easily upgraded to the latest and greatest 07/2020.60 without issue and introduce Android Auto, enhanced BMW Assistant capabilities along with some new Navigation features.

Lastly given that you are in the UAE the discount variable may be drastically different than the US or EU. Your market is probably more in alignment with Ozzie8's so the majority of the discount recommendations on the thread may be null and void. Ultimately supply and demand will set the price and your demand, i.e., desire to own is likely the key factor in the equation as the supply side is obviously limited. In other words if you can make a deal that you are comfortable with by all means absolutely do it as you'll love the car.
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      11-27-2020, 11:14 PM   #7
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Like everyone else said in terms of everything specially about pushing into a really low price. I know that I don't know what kinda market UAE is for this car but I also know that it's not strong since they had this car sitting for almost two years.
so either they make you an offer you can't refuse or order a 21.
Oh and if you end up with this one ask them not to update the software and enjoy the crackles and pops.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:22 AM   #8
Sta808
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
As others have stated there is no difference between a 2019, 2020 and the 2021s. That said there are some packages on the 2019s that became standard on the 2020s moving forward, e.g., Comfort Seating but if the car is loaded it should be an absolute equivalent. That said make sure it has both the Driving Assistance Package as well as Driving Assistance Professional Package. The key being that with both of those packages although some features were only officially released in iDrive 7 with the 2020/2021s you can have the 2019 coded to support them all.

In regards to the iDrive release itself its hard to say what is on a 2018 manufacturing date but whatever it is moving it to a 2020 release will neuter the exhaust sound. Not sure if that matters to you or not but anything in the 11/2019.35 to 11/2019.55 will not have an adverse impact to the exhaust sound. If you can care less about that then the car can be easily upgraded to the latest and greatest 07/2020.60 without issue and introduce Android Auto, enhanced BMW Assistant capabilities along with some new Navigation features.

Lastly given that you are in the UAE the discount variable may be drastically different than the US or EU. Your market is probably more in alignment with Ozzie8's so the majority of the discount recommendations on the thread may be null and void. Ultimately supply and demand will set the price and your demand, i.e., desire to own is likely the key factor in the equation as the supply side is obviously limited. In other words if you can make a deal that you are comfortable with by all means absolutely do it as you'll love the car.
Thanks a lot for such a detailed and comprehensive reply.

I managed to get hold of what I think is the spec list for the car in question, it looks like it only has Driving Assistant Professional.

I have uploaded the spec list here, if anyone has a chance to glance their eyes over it to see if there are any other must have options missing:
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:34 AM   #9
darkchi1d
Rep
Drives: 650i Gran Coupe

Hi,

I'm also based in the UAE and about to purchase an M850i Gran Coupe. Right now the official dealers have both 2020 and 2021 cars (the 2021 cars are about $8,000 more expensive .

It's worth noting new cars from authorised dealers are significantly more expensive here as they're essentially monopolies. Approx $30K above MSRP for most luxury vehicles.

Discount's aren't as steep here for the reason I mentioned above and the most important factor for value retention is retaining a service / manufacturer warranty. I'd expect a 15% to 20% discount to be realistic against 2020 model prices. Any more and you've gotten yourself a decent deal.

As an example a new 2020 M850i GC is about $142,000. An approved used car with 10,000km is on for about $132,000. I'd shy away from these though as most of them are dealer demo cars that tend to be driven quite hard to show off the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks a lot for such a detailed and comprehensive reply.

I managed to get hold of what I think is the spec list for the car in question, it looks like it only has Driving Assistant Professional.

I have uploaded the spec list here, if anyone has a chance to glance their eyes over it to see if there are any other must have options missing:
View post on imgur.com
I almost suggested in my last post to see if you could provide the details but didn't want to be presumptive on my part. Glad you did though as the M850i is fully loaded.

The packages are listed a bit differently than here in the US and more in alignment with the EU. However, with Parking Assistant Plus listed the car has the Driving Assistance Package and obviously the Driving Assistance Professional Package is called out. The "Heat Comfort Package Front" gives you the now standard "Comfort Seating" package on the 2020s and beyond. It also includes the carbon fiber roof, Alcantara Anthracite Headliner, Night Vision (which is a rarity) and the amazing B&W audio which also adds great esthetics within the cabin even if you are not too discerning on the audio front. The glass controls are also a nice touch and thanks to my wife she convinced me to include that on my 2020 M850i order.

The bottom line is the M850i you're looking at is 100% equivalent to a 2020 or 2021. I'm going to guess that whatever deal you can make will save you $ over ordering a 2021 regardless of the market. The case-in-point is I could have saved thousands if I had purchased a 2019 sitting on a dealers lot over my custom 2020 M850i order. However, not a single 2019 available included all of my desired options. For what it's worth this 2019 has them all so if you like the exterior/interior color it is definitely worth pursuing.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchi1d View Post
Hi,

I'm also based in the UAE and about to purchase an M850i Gran Coupe. Right now the official dealers have both 2020 and 2021 cars (the 2021 cars are about $8,000 more expensive .

It's worth noting new cars from authorised dealers are significantly more expensive here as they're essentially monopolies. Approx $30K above MSRP for most luxury vehicles.

Discount's aren't as steep here for the reason I mentioned above and the most important factor for value retention is retaining a service / manufacturer warranty. I'd expect a 15% to 20% discount to be realistic against 2020 model prices. Any more and you've gotten yourself a decent deal.

As an example a new 2020 M850i GC is about $142,000. An approved used car with 10,000km is on for about $132,000. I'd shy away from these though as most of them are dealer demo cars that tend to be driven quite hard to show off the car.
That's not too bad, i.e., $142K for a 2020 M850i GC assuming a set of packages (DA, DA Pro, B&W, full leather, carbon fiber roof, glass controls, etc.) as that prices out at about $121K here in the US. Thus if they have similar packages the market is about $20K more so I'd agree that 15 to 20% is a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #12
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:

Thanks a lot!
Aside form the pricing and yr/yr changes consider these things if the cars been sitting for so long...here are things to have checked:
  • Flat spots in the tires
  • Brake rotor contamination
  • Immediate oil change needed
  • Paint contamination...don't let them buff it but clay bar then hand wax and hand polish if needed.
  • Wiper blades
  • Check dash leather etc if sitting in direct sun
  • Battery levels
  • Ensure all TIS's/TSB's have been performed

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 11-29-2020 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS603.50
      12-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #13
Sta808
Registered
Rep

Just an update to say I bought the car, very enjoyable and no issues with it from being in storage, new tyres, batteries installed.

Once issue I do have which I might need input specifically from BMW owners in the UAE, is in terms of ConnectedDrive.

I was told by the dealership that it is not enabled because it is not allowed by the RTA, does anyone have experience with this? Likewise, in terms of software updates, has anyone has any luck getting a BMW service centre to update to the latest software?
Appreciate 1
msm2000uk175.50
      12-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #14
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
Just an update to say I bought the car, very enjoyable and no issues with it from being in storage, new tyres, batteries installed.

Once issue I do have which I might need input specifically from BMW owners in the UAE, is in terms of ConnectedDrive.

I was told by the dealership that it is not enabled because it is not allowed by the RTA, does anyone have experience with this? Likewise, in terms of software updates, has anyone has any luck getting a BMW service centre to update to the latest software?
First of all congratulations on the great choice dude. I am certain you will love it throughout.

Usually I update (flash) whole car myself but I did get the dealer to do that for me twice already - the 1st time prior to picking it up and the last time a few weeks ago (11.2020.42) when I took it in for a general check. Both times they did it for free though they usually charge quite a lot unless strictly necessary and/or dictated by their ISTA procedures once an error/bug pops up and doesn't go away. I would say upon purchasing the car (regardless of new, used etc.), you have ALL the rights in this world to demand that the car is handed over to you with the LATEST software if you wish. Be aware of the "side effects" though such as exhaust sound neutering and the likes, amply documented here in the forum.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2020, 07:04 PM   #15
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Congrats and I'm sure you're going to love the M850i. That is a bummer on Connected Drive as it is indeed useful but darkchi1d also in the UAE confirmed it is not supported Perhaps the RTA doesn't allow remote engine starting capabilities from a safety standpoint or doesn't agree with the Geo tracking capabilities as all the other functions are what I'd consider benign, e.g., fuel and service status, etc. Either way if you cannot get Connected Drive it will absolutely not take away the sheer enjoyment of seat time in the M850i.

As for the iDrive upgrades themselves, also based on darkchi1d's postings it appears that the 8-series in the UAE is apparently a completely crippled version of iDrive 7. Hence, getting an upgrade will likely be dependent on whatever versions they have for UAE vs what you read here on the forums. Once again at the end of the day even if you can't get some of the iDrive 7 features we have in other regions it will most certainly not take away the sheer joy of driving the M850i.
Appreciate 0