M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Mold in storm sliding door track

08-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #1
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Mold in storm sliding door track

I’m looking for advice, ideas, and humor. Long post so TLDR at the end.

Our house is at the beach in FL so has large hurricane (wind) rated aluminum-frame sliding glass doors. The air is salty of course, so I wash the house about weekly, including rinsing off the doors and tracks. House is 7 years old as are the doors.

One set of doors has mold inside the bottom track. I know this because after I wash down the exterior, if we have a bathroom fan on it draws air through the door sill and I can smell the mold. So for now the bathroom fans aren’t run much. (Obviously the house is very tightly sealed). Mold smell also happens after the doors get rained on (they are under an overhang and rarely get direct rain).

The door set has three panels. The installer said each panel weighs close to 400 pounds and is about 2in thick (frame). There are two weep holes, one at each end of the exterior base track. Each weep hole is about 3/8in tall by 1in wide. Total width of the base is 12 feet.

The innermost track has a removable top (screwed into the base) but cannot be removed without taking out all three doors. That track piece allows water to run down into the base along its length and at both ends, and there is a similar gap for the middle door and third door tracks, but the top of those does not appear to be removable (part of the extrusion).

Taking the three doors out is a half-day job for 3-4 men, as is replacing them. So that is expensive but an option if all else fails.

I have contacted the manufacturer, distributor and installer. The installer suggested pouring beach into the inside track and allowing it to run to and out the weep holes. Then flush with water after 3 hours. This works, temporarily. So I think that is knocking down some of the mold but not killing it all.

Early on I attached a big straw to the end of my shop vac with duct tape and worked it around as best I could in the weep holes to get anything out. I also own a pressure washer and compressor, but I’m not sure if using either with mold is a good idea.

My current thinking is to block the weep holes and fill the track with bleach. Let it sit a few hours, open the weep holes and then flush with a lot of water. And hope it kills any mold in there. I can’t get anything in there to scour or scrub off the mold, I think. But I’m open to ideas and suggestions.

TLDR: The sliding glass door set is three panels, each about 4ft x 8ft x 2in and about 400 pounds. Total door opening is 12ft wide. Two small weep holes, one at each end of the exterior. Mold in the bottom, hollow extrusion/track that is inaccessible without removing all three doors. How to kill mold?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

recently someone told me cleaning vinegar is much better then bleach for getting rid of mold.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50
      08-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #3
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
recently someone told me cleaning vinegar is much better then bleach for getting rid of mold.
I’ve heard that, too. Specifically that vinegar will penetrate porous materials (wood, for example) to kill mold “roots” whereas bleach sits on top. However for aluminum they work equally as well. Vinegar is acidic and will eat/corrode the aluminum if left for extended periods - since I’m not sure I can flush every drop out I’m reluctant to use it in this circumstance.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      08-21-2021, 05:48 PM   #4
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

If you're smelling the mold, the problem may be bigger than just being in a track.
You got a way to get a piece of wood trim off the wall to see if your drywall is wicking water?

Toss over a pic.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50
      08-21-2021, 05:53 PM   #5
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Walls are dry - as is the attic above. Checked and double checked - frankly it would be a lot easier to get rid of in the wall.
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      08-21-2021, 06:08 PM   #6
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Dilute bleach/water or straight consumer grade hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Spray liberally in the affected area and let dry. Repeat as often as needed, which could be many times. Protect wood and fabric from the spray.
Appreciate 2
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
2000cs3502.50
      08-21-2021, 06:16 PM   #7
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Walls are dry - as is the attic above. Checked and double checked - frankly it would be a lot easier to get rid of in the wall.
Smelling mold would drive me crazy. Lol. I bet it's slime under the track
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50
      08-21-2021, 06:19 PM   #8
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Here is an attempt to upload 3 pics:

The first picture shows the track. Note the rusted screws. You can see the gap along the inside edge of the inner track (1) and outside edge of the middle track (2). The fixed window is in Track 3. If the screws could be removed that inside track would lift out - but all three doors have to come out first since the track runs the length of the opening. Also drain gaps at the end of the track. Apologies for the dog hair, hadn’t cleaned before picture.

The second picture is a close-up of the track where one of the rusty screws holds it in. You can see the gaps better in this picture. These allow condensation, etc to drain from the inside, under the visible track, and out the weep holes outside.

Third pic gives a sense of size and that the exterior is covered, so rain hitting it is rare (weather usually comes from the right in this pic).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 06:27 PM   #9
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGoGoMoto View Post
I almost bought one of those.

The mold smell is only in the room after one of the bathroom vent fans has run for a bit, and it lingers until the air conditioner has cycled enough to clear it out. We can isolate the source by nose.

The first thing we did when we noticed the smell was pull up the carpet (who carpets at the beach?) and found it unstained and the subfloor dry and also not stained. Then we had the room tiled. Then I checked the walls and trim and it is all dry. Then I went in the attic and it also is dry.

I’m really pretty sure it is inside the track, under the piece in the photo. I’ll get some more pics and post soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 06:37 PM   #10
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I almost bought one of those.

The mold smell is only in the room after one of the bathroom vent fans has run for a bit, and it lingers until the air conditioner has cycled enough to clear it out. We can isolate the source by nose.

The first thing we did when we noticed the smell was pull up the carpet (who carpets at the beach?) and found it unstained and the subfloor dry and also not stained. Then we had the room tiled. Then I checked the walls and trim and it is all dry. Then I went in the attic and it also is dry.

I'm really pretty sure it is inside the track, under the piece in the photo. I'll get some more pics and post soon.
It sounds like it's inside the track..
I'd go with bleach like someone suggested.

Niiice place though!

I
Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50
      08-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #11
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

My wife has serious allergies to mold. She can walk in the door and almost immediately tell if there is black mold in the house. Came in handy when we were house shopping! Bleach and peroxide help, but this spray from Home Depot absolutely works.
Attached Images

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 4
Buug95917411.00
2000cs3502.50
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
lakefront560.50
      08-21-2021, 08:36 PM   #12
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpc2u View Post
My wife has serious allergies to mold. She can walk in the door and almost immediately tell if there is black mold in the house. Came in handy when we were house shopping! Bleach and peroxide help, but this spray from Home Depot absolutely works.
I’m going there for bleach and other stuff in the morning so will pick some up; thanks!

BTW I’m guessing 3 gallons of bleach to fill that track!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 06:52 AM   #13
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpc2u View Post
I'm going there for bleach and other stuff in the morning so will pick some up; thanks!

BTW I'm guessing 3 gallons of bleach to fill that track!
Got damn!!
3 gallons?

Holeeeeey!

The problem is the bleach smell. Luckily you have the sea breeze and huge fresh air ventilation.
Thing is mold is like terminator gen 1 if you don't eliminate the source.
Flood that thing

Can we come over and chill?
I promise i won't drive the i3 down there lol
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 07:11 AM   #14
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Got damn!!
3 gallons?

Holeeeeey!

The problem is the bleach smell. Luckily you have the sea breeze and huge fresh air ventilation.
Thing is mold is like terminator gen 1 if you don't eliminate the source.
Flood that thing

Can we come over and chill?
I promise i won't drive the i3 down there lol
I3 is actually perfect here. Small town on the coast. Lots of people have golf carts (not my bag) for in-town and a real car to go to the big stores/interstate. Plus easy to park. Come any time, but bring MrGoGoMoto so my wife doesn’t get jealous!
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      08-22-2021, 08:06 AM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I live in a 250+ year-old house on the north side of a mountain 40 feet from the woods and on a river. God uses this place to invent new mold species.

RMR-86, shit is incredible.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50
      08-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #16
2000cs
Captain
Rep

More pics from outside:
First is the track with the inner door closed. Left is the screen door track, we bought new ones because of all the corrosion on the old ones, and the new ones remain stored in our garage until fall. Note the rust stains and some corrosion on the track is from the iron/steel wheels etc in those screens, and the prior owner’s failure to maintain.

Next is the weep hole on the left side. Note the seam running along the edge - makes me wonder if the entire top track can be removed (I had previously thought only the inside piece comes out, where the screws are in the prior pic set). But that would require removing the doors. Also note the drain gaps at the end of the tracks, which run inside the track to the weep holes.

Third is the weep hole on the right - looks like I need to clean it out a bit.

Fourth is a wider shot for perspective.

Next is the left end of the track closer view to show the drain channels at the end. Note the door has a felt(?) barrier along its track. Water sheds but also will get in there and run out the escapes shown in the prior pic set.

Finally the gap at the right end of the door, mostly in the screen track. This gap is pretty big, allowing stuff to get inside when it is windy and making a nice spot for the lizards to hang out. Likely contributors to the mold.

I’m off to HD now.
Attached Images

Last edited by 2000cs; 08-22-2021 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      08-22-2021, 08:53 AM   #17
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I live in a 250+ year-old house on the north side of a mountain 40 feet from the woods and on a river. God uses this place to invent new mold species.

RMR-86, shit is incredible.
Application notes say not to use it on aluminum or painted surfaces. So I can’t do that.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 09:14 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Application notes say not to use it on aluminum or painted surfaces. So I can’t do that.
Interesting. I just read the label and it does not state those precautions. I've used it on painted wood. I worked great.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #19
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Interesting. I just read the label and it does not state those precautions. I've used it on painted wood. I worked great.
https://www.rmrsolutions.com/product...16236013027402 see near the end

I emailed the mfgr just now to get clarification and advice.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #20
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Mrs2000cs and I just completed today’s effort. We put duct tape over the weep holes and poured 3+ gallons of bleach into the tracks, applying it in all locations including doors open and closed. Let it sit over 30 minutes, then removed the tape and flushed with 4+ gallons of water from inside and hose from outside. Dislodged a lot of sand from the tracks (the drain gaps along the track). Sprayed with pressure all along the tracks, much to Mrs2000cs’ dismay as I got a bit of water inside when the door was open. About 20 minutes of flushing. Good flow out of the weep holes but mostly water and some sand, no signs of mold or slime having been dislodged.

Slight smell of bleach in the bedroom now. Will let it dry thoroughly and hope for the best. Will probably know in several days.

Still after a more permanent solution, but that may require getting some help and removing the doors. Also hopeful that the good folks at RMR Solutions might have something.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 10:32 PM   #21
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

To me it looks deeper than the track. Looks like water ingress below the pavers. If they have settled and water puddles at the door, that's no good. The door also looks to be mildly compromised, or about to become. Putting some caulk on the joints after a nice dry and warm few days wouldn't be a bad idea. If there is ever moisture between the panes, the frame is compromised.

TBH, it's not a bad idea to remove the doors and track to see what you actually have going on.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50
      08-22-2021, 11:49 PM   #22
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
2000cs What do you use to wash the outside of the house, sliding door and tracks? Bucket and sponge?
Appreciate 0