M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Question for those with CTEK/BMW 8 Step Chargers

10-20-2023, 01:47 PM   #23
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yugrac View Post
See post 4 here:

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...senger%20side.

I haven't done much research on this yet, but I would make an initial guess that if the mentioned switch did trip and the Lithium battery does not charge, it's no big deal because lithium batteries maintain their charge far better than lead (AMG), and I'm not sure which battery maintains the constant draw electronics anyway. It could well be the lead one.
I read a similar explanation in the M850i's owner manual. Only use the charging posts under the hood (with the hood open) and for the "switch" that will send the charge to the AGM initially will only open to send a charge to the Lithium at or below a certain voltage. Checked the NOCO Genius 10 I bought off of Amazon and even in its Lithium setting (according to the manual) was too high of a voltage at charge initiation.

So I picked up the CTEK Lithium and used it to augment the NOCO. I was doing all of this to see if the battery charge was keeping the OTA on the car from kicking in install. At the end of the day that wasn't a factor so returned both to Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugrac View Post
I use this to maintain the battery of my 2022 M850 vert for 4 months each summer in my climate controlled Florida garage while summering in Maine. I have not had any issues upon return, but that's not confirmation that I may indeed be slowly causing battery damage. However my instincts doubt it. Also, I have received no messages from iD7 indicating any battery/charging issues.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...f?v=1597088684

Also, this charger from BMW has a note that says it works for both lead and lithium batteries, thus issue resolved:

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...ATTERY-CHARGER
Now with the wife's LCI with supposedly both AGM and Lithium as well I'm just biting the bullet and getting the BMW OEM'd CTEK. If I put either my wife's VIN or my VIN in the parts configurator it's the same battery charger part recommended. Figured it's worth the extra $40 as if it ever causes a problem with the Lithium in either vehicle I'll cry party foul as I'm using the recommended BMW part.
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1283.00