M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Software update not activating

10-09-2023, 06:45 PM   #1
escoaks
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Software update not activating

The MyBMW app shows version 03/2023.50 as ready to install and to follow instructions in the vehicle, but the vehicle shows that preparations for that upgrade have been completed but that I will be notified when the upgrade can be installed. Never moves past that - any ideas what I need to do to activate the update?

Have read that it may require the battery to be fully charged to activate, anyone experienced that?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 12:58 AM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by escoaks View Post
The MyBMW app shows version 03/2023.50 as ready to install and to follow instructions in the vehicle, but the vehicle shows that preparations for that upgrade have been completed but that I will be notified when the upgrade can be installed. Never moves past that - any ideas what I need to do to activate the update?

Have read that it may require the battery to be fully charged to activate, anyone experienced that?
Welcome to the OTA "freeze" period. Battery counts plus everything called out in the attached pic for "preconditions" to be satisfied to install the OTA once on the vehicle. Good luck as mine was blocked by hazard lights on. LOL as the hazard lights were never on in 3.5 years of ownership. That said at least one other forum member has toggled them on/off and ended up with an install.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 05:19 AM   #3
rb5555
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M850i convertible

I had the same problem, new software would not install, I toggled my hazard lights on and off a few times. Next morning when I started my car the software proceeded to install.

Good Luck
      10-10-2023, 08:14 PM   #4
escoaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb5555 View Post
I had the same problem, new software would not install, I toggled my hazard lights on and off a few times. Next morning when I started my car the software proceeded to install.

Good Luck
Good advice, I tried that on a drive and when I got home it did… something. No longer showing the update as ready to install, but it triggered it searching for updates. Let it run for 15 mins and gave up. Hopefully next drive I’m out on it will find and download it for install.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 09:02 PM   #5
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I toggled my hazards. Switched off lights. Switched off remote start. Switched off auto parking. Switched on parking brake. Stirred the kettle and chanted a prayer. And…still nothing. It’s been months.

So today I toggled the hazards again, and also switched off all of the hazard alerts. The next engine on, I get a message OK Map Updated. And then the info screen switches to Map mode and says “Starting Navigation System” with a fancy 3D city graphic.

I’m a bit excited. Until I see that the Starting Nav message stays on the screen for my entire drive. And I cannot see any map or nav options. Seems stuck. So now I’m worse off?

Wtf, made an appointment to take the car in next week.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2023, 09:05 PM   #6
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Good advice, I tried that on a drive and when I got home it did… something. No longer showing the update as ready to install, but it triggered it searching for updates. Let it run for 15 mins and gave up. Hopefully next drive I’m out on it will find and download it for install.
My experience (twice at least), when the ready to install disappears and it reverts to searching, it just means that the time window to complete the install elapsed / expired, and it forces you to restart the process. I hope your experience is better.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 03:23 PM   #7
escoaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonn View Post
My experience (twice at least), when the ready to install disappears and it reverts to searching, it just means that the time window to complete the install elapsed / expired, and it forces you to restart the process. I hope your experience is better.
That was indeed the case. It searched for the install again, downloaded from phone to vehicle, and now is stuck again at ready install. Same place I was to begin with. Will just have to ask the dealer if they can force it through when I take it in for servicing this weekend
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2023, 09:17 PM   #8
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Mine is now stuck with this screen (when pressing Map or Nav buttons). Everything else is still working. Except of course the 03/2023 update which is still MIA.

What a car, smh... on the other hand, Still fun to drive though (at least so far)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 11:36 AM   #9
escoaks
Rep

Quote:
That was indeed the case. It searched for the install again, downloaded from phone to vehicle, and now is stuck again at ready install. Same place I was to begin with. Will just have to ask the dealer if they can force it through when I take it in for servicing this weekend
Unfortunately the dealers decided to be dicks (shocker, I know) and charge me $350 for trying to run the update, despite the vehicle still being under warranty. Going to just give it a go myself at the end since they will have it on a charger all day while servicing.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 09:25 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonn View Post
I toggled my hazards. Switched off lights. Switched off remote start. Switched off auto parking. Switched on parking brake. Stirred the kettle and chanted a prayer. And…still nothing. It’s been months.

So today I toggled the hazards again, and also switched off all of the hazard alerts. The next engine on, I get a message OK Map Updated. And then the info screen switches to Map mode and says “Starting Navigation System” with a fancy 3D city graphic.

I’m a bit excited. Until I see that the Starting Nav message stays on the screen for my entire drive. And I cannot see any map or nav options. Seems stuck. So now I’m worse off?

Wtf, made an appointment to take the car in next week.
The problem is BMW can't punch their way out of a paper bag in the digital world. The OTA "boot loader" is obviously bugged and in my case the LOL on the hazard lights but toggling on/off solved at least one of our brethren's issue.

Take it in and claim (if under warranty) you want the safety features for DAP in the 03/2023 and 07/2023 updates. That ought to wake your dealer up as nobody wants to mess with "safety".
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 09:30 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately the dealers decided to be dicks (shocker, I know) and charge me $350 for trying to run the update, despite the vehicle still being under warranty. Going to just give it a go myself at the end since they will have it on a charger all day while servicing.
WTF? Claim you want the 03/2023 and 07/2023 safety enhancements for DAP. That may turn into a request to BMW NA for the clearance to upgrade but they should do it. As I've posted several times my SA/dealership will do an upgrade anytime I ask. In reality it's 15 to 30 minutes (if they are slow as molasses) from a labor perspective. Hook up the car ~5 to ~10 minutes, walk away, come back and unhook the car.

Your dealer is $ grabbing to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 12:58 PM   #12
germanroots
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

After weeks of unsuccessful attempts to do the OTA update, my car just wouldn’t. Happened to be in for an oil change today and was told they can do it, but they’d need the car for a few hours. I didn’t have a few hours today, so I opted to move on without it.

I asked him if there was anything important in the update, he said “no, not reallly”. To the group…does that sound right?

Also, he said once I get the “failed” notification I can no longer do the OTA update.
      10-16-2023, 04:36 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanroots View Post
After weeks of unsuccessful attempts to do the OTA update, my car just wouldn’t. Happened to be in for an oil change today and was told they can do it, but they’d need the car for a few hours. I didn’t have a few hours today, so I opted to move on without it.

I asked him if there was anything important in the update, he said “no, not reallly”. To the group…does that sound right?

Also, he said once I get the “failed” notification I can no longer do the OTA update.
Outside of it may take hours for the upgrade to program (vs the BS on labor charges with 30 minutes or less to hook up the car and disconnect) sounds like your dealer is golden. My dealer kept my M850i over night for the upgrade to 07/2023 so guessing it does take time. Did they charge me? Nope.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 09:40 AM   #14
escoaks
Rep

Happy ending here for me in that I took it to a different dealer about an hour away and had a much better experience. Service advisor actually sat in the car with me and I talked him through everything I had already tried. He did some research and took the car in for the day. They ended up discovering it was the battery and replaced it for me under warranty, then ran the update. Zero paid out of pocket for me and they got it updated to 07/2023 successfully. Also won my business as I will no longer go back to my original dealer after this
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2023, 08:34 PM   #15
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Happy ending here for me in that I took it to a different dealer about an hour away and had a much better experience. Service advisor actually sat in the car with me and I talked him through everything I had already tried. He did some research and took the car in for the day. They ended up discovering it was the battery and replaced it for me under warranty, then ran the update. Zero paid out of pocket for me and they got it updated to 07/2023 successfully. Also won my business as I will no longer go back to my original dealer after this
Excellent and ultimately they just also programmed 07/2023 vs your stuck 03/2023 OTA. I've read some posts on different threads on the topic that the dealer just figured out how to get the OTA to install after the preconditions diagnostics. BTW more than one was due to the battery.

Can you check the service record to confirm if it was the AGM or the Lithium battery that needed to be replaced. It's just a theory of mine that the Lithium battery handles iD7 vs the AGM. It would be very interesting to know which battery they sourced to the OTA issue and replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 10:03 PM   #16
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Update for me: while on my 3rd or 4th install attempt (crossing over multiple versions), my screen suddenly stuck “Starting Navigation..” as my previous screen shot posting shows. About 4-5 days later, my map reappeared, but it also coincided with my latest install expiring..so maybe related, maybe not.

Regardless, I had enough of this nonsense so took the car to the dealer. 2-3 hours later, car was fixed and I went from 07/2021 to 07/2023. No charge. No battery replacement. Nothing about hazard lights. Tech said that there was nothing I did wrong.

Now the details if you are interested, could be related to “energy reserve” which says battery to me…

“CHECKED IN THE VEHICLE SETTINGS, UNABLE TO HAVE THE REMOTE SOFTWARE UPGRADE START - SELECTION REMAINS GREYED OUT AND NO FURTHER ACTION CAN BE TAKEN.
CONNECT TO ISID TESTER, FAULT 038400 STORED - REMOTE SOFTWARE UPGRADE: VEHICLE-END PRECONDITIONS NOT FULFILLED. FAULT CURRENTLY PRESENT & HAS BEEN LOGGED 4 TIMES.
WORKED THROUGH TEST PLAN: AT6510 SYS RSU - SYSTEM ANALYSIS. PROBLEMS WITH THE VEHICLE ENERGY RESERVE ARE IDENTIFIED. INSTRUCTED TO PERFORM ENERGY DIAGNOSIS, AND THEN TO PROGRAM THE VEHICLE. DIAG CODE:
D8700 RSU00000 90 214.
PERFORMED ENERGY DIAGNOSIS. NO IRREGULARITIES DETECTED, (D6121 00ENDIAG 70 901). STATE OF CHARGE IS 78%, NO INSTANCES OF CLOSED CIRCUIT CURRENT MONITORING AND AVERAGE JOURNEYS ARE NOT CONSPICUOUS.
SWITCH TO ISTA/P, GENERATED MEASURE PLAN. PROGRAMMED AND CODED ALL THE CONTROL UNITS THAT POPULATE IN THE PLAN. PROGRAMMING SUCCESSFUL, INTEGRATION / SOFTWARE LEVEL UPDATED TO LATEST, OK.”
Appreciate 0