M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Who has moved from an M to a Corvette?

01-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #1
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Who has moved from an M to a Corvette?

Anyone?
      01-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #2
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Check out this thread https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...light=corvette

The HACK is fortunate enough to own both!
Appreciate 1
boss2k1070.50
      01-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
impulsE89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2Porsches2Alfas2Bmw2Corvettes

Guilty

I have to question how the new 2019 Z4 can compete with the C7 or earlier Corvettes. There are large dealer discounts. The 440HP Corvette can be bought for $49,000. They are very capable on the track.
Appreciate 1
boss2k1070.50
      01-24-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I am not a big fan of fiberglass bodies. I’ll keep my M2.
Appreciate 1
boss2k1070.50
      01-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

If I had the heart to sell my R8 to have an extra garage space available, I'd be going straight to a C7 manual grand sport. Awesome cars.

But then I look at the R8 again and forget all about it.
Appreciate 2
boss2k1070.50
Flacht31136.50
      01-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

dparm made the switch.
      01-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #7
PayamFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP YMB

Dealer experience sux but car is pretty sweet , would only get the grand sport tho

2018 F80 ZCP 6MT YMB/SO
2015 F82 M4 6MT AW/SO - SOLD
Appreciate 1
boss2k1070.50
      01-24-2019, 09:35 PM   #8
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I have a 135is with tune and a Stingray. If you can get at least the 2LT package unless you are more focused on the capability. That trim level has a number of nice addons for the price. I really enjoy driving the Stingray the torque comes on early and you have 460hp on tap. Plus it gets better gas mileage than my 135is.
Appreciate 2
boss2k1070.50
CSBM52716.50
      01-24-2019, 10:06 PM   #9
Fender150
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I always had thoughts about a z06, this thing sounds badddd
Appreciate 1
boss2k1070.50
      01-24-2019, 10:18 PM   #10
epic
M Comp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Has anyone moved from M to Corvette?
I have a C6 (highly modded) and am getting a M2C - currently have a m235i. They are such different cars. The brute force torque of a LS/LT engine and sound of a modern Corvette (C5+) is definitely addictive. I'm not sure I could do only having a M after knowing how much fun modding and driving a vette is. That being said the total package of BMW with it's great manners and nice interiors (though c7 is a big step up from mine), makes it a much better daily than the Corvette but that's no big surprise.

My C6 has heads, cam, 3200 stall, 3:42 gear, fast102, huge swaybars and bilsteins and scares me still after many years. The appeal of the M2C for me is much more controlled fun and much easier to catch if things get hairy. Its also nice not having an obnoxious car to drive every day - the Corvette gets a ton of attention and shakes everything around it. Old video of it here -
boss2k1070.50
      01-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #11
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
I have a C6 (highly modded) and am getting a M2C - currently have a m235i. They are such different cars. The brute force torque of a LS/LT engine and sound of a modern Corvette (C5+) is definitely addictive. I'm not sure I could do only having a M after knowing how much fun modding and driving a vette is. That being said the total package of BMW with it's great manners and nice interiors (though c7 is a big step up from mine), makes it a much better daily than the Corvette but that's no big surprise.

My C6 has heads, cam, 3200 stall, 3:42 gear, fast102, huge swaybars and bilsteins and scares me still after many years. The appeal of the M2C for me is much more controlled fun and much easier to catch if things get hairy. Its also nice not having an obnoxious car to drive every day - the Corvette gets a ton of attention and shakes everything around it. Old video of it here -
The video sound is not great, what are your thoughts on being a daily driver
      01-25-2019, 09:50 AM   #12
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
dparm made the switch.
So did Palantirion
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #13
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I am not a big fan of fiberglass bodies. I’ll keep my M2.
You say fiber I say glass. Fiber. Glass.

When we shot the video for Al Paer, the guy with the C2, bought original when he was 16, a gift from his father, and kept and maintained to this day, we talked about the paint work. It was immaculate, because Al was super anal retentive about the upkeep of his car, but there are several spots where the flexing of the fiberglass panels caused the paint to crack. He said that the repair and replacement of the panel requires professional touch, and at this point he's not 100% certain whether he's going to try and attempt to repair and repaint fiberglass himself.

Despite this being a California car all its life, fiberglass does have its drawbacks I guess.

Good thing the new Corvettes don't use fiberglass.

Honestly, saying "I'm not a fan of fiberglass" is like saying "I'm not a fan of carbon fiber" or "I'm not a fan of light weight cars." Did you know that about 20% of the body panels on a C7 Corvette is CARBON FIBER? The entire roof, the entire hood, and a couple of high up panels (I think the hatch? Need to look it up) are carbon fiber reinforced plastic? The remainder of the body panels are modern composites, not fiberglass.

I think you mean you're not a fan of plastic bodies. THAT would make more sense because the technology used on the body panels of today's Corvette are closer to plastic than they are to fiberglass of yesteryear. Or I'd say "I'm no fan of ancient push-rod technology" and/or "Leaf springs? REALLY? I'm not a fan of truck suspension on a sporty car" and I probably would keep my fingers quiet, although I don't 100% agree with ether sentiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayamFSU View Post
Dealer experience sux but car is pretty sweet , would only get the grand sport tho
I'm used to the BMW dealership experience, so this I agree 100% with. But I also have had experience dealing with Subaru, Hyundai, FCA, and frankly, GM dealership experience is on-par with these other brands and about 100% better than FCA dealerships. I wouldn't buy FCA products for the dealership experience alone.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      01-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #14
epic
M Comp
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
The video sound is not great, what are your thoughts on being a daily driver
Creeks and rattles much more than a BMW and the ride quality isn't very muted (at least in my car). Being so low also is a drawback because bigger vehicles straight up don't see you and I've had to be a much more cautious driver. Flipside of course is being so low feels awesome especially compared to how high BMW cars sit.

Totally agreed with dealership experience. I might as well be in a Chevy Malibu when I pull up in the vette. Thankfully I haven't been at a dealership in many many years. Car has had no problems and goes to a performance shop for any issues (which there hasn't been any).
boss2k1070.50
      01-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #15
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Creeks and rattles much more than a BMW and the ride quality isn't very muted (at least in my car). Being so low also is a drawback because bigger vehicles straight up don't see you and I've had to be a much more cautious driver. Flipside of course is being so low feels awesome especially compared to how high BMW cars sit.

Totally agreed with dealership experience. I might as well be in a Chevy Malibu when I pull up in the vette. Thankfully I haven't been at a dealership in many many years. Car has had no problems and goes to a performance shop for any issues (which there hasn't been any).
Creaks...yes, like my 4-series when you go over a curb, bump, etc.

...and the dealer experience, like when they drove it around after having service done and proceed to park it with the tire up against the curb...screwing up all the underbody that subsequently came in contact with the curb. Thought you were getting your car back today? Nope! Back to the body shop. And in the cases where I've asked for a loaner, this and when the rear computer just decided to die one day, they seem to equate it with asking out their 16 year old daughter or something...

IME, these things aren't all they are cracked up to be. The perception is much rosier than the reality.
Attached Images

BMR_CK35.00
      01-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #16
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

One important feature for me does the side mirrors have power folding button /feature from inside the car , i fold them in before entering the garage as my 2 car garage is not very spacious.
      01-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #17
epic
M Comp
United_States
Rep

Garage List
They do fold manually but I don't believe the C7 has power folding mirrors. My C6 doesn't.
      01-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #18
The HACK
Rep

Eh. You "get by." This is a standard, new-ish Southern California planned urban development garage, and it's TIGHT despite the Z4 M Coupe being a rather SMALL car. The gap you see between the two cars is with the Z4 M Coupe parked with the driver door able to open to it's first detent without touching the wall, and the Corvette parked as far against the side of the garage, same deal, with the driver door opening to the first detent and about 2 inches to spare to the wall.

Folding both passenger mirrors will get me another 4 inches of clearance between the two cars. The Corvette is exceedingly WIDE. By far the widest car in the fleet, that's for sure. When I park the i3 in the garage to charge (in case of range emergency) you pretty much have to crab walk between the two cars.

There's a brief thought of asking my wife to store her shoes somewhere else besides the cabinet in the garage, but I figured she's none too pleased with the Corvette purchase already and probably NOT smart to bring up moving her shoes somewhere else. THAT would have ended with me sleeping in the dog house for sure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      01-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #19
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsE89 View Post
I have to question how the new 2019 Z4 can compete with the C7 or earlier Corvettes. There are large dealer discounts. The 440HP Corvette can be bought for $49,000. They are very capable on the track.
These cars are rarely cross-shopped. They target different buyers.

You may as well ask how the Boxster or new Supra compete with the 'Vette too. Apples to oranges.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #20
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You say fiber I say glass. Fiber. Glass.

When we shot the video for Al Paer, the guy with the C2, bought original when he was 16, a gift from his father, and kept and maintained to this day, we talked about the paint work. It was immaculate, because Al was super anal retentive about the upkeep of his car, but there are several spots where the flexing of the fiberglass panels caused the paint to crack. He said that the repair and replacement of the panel requires professional touch, and at this point he's not 100% certain whether he's going to try and attempt to repair and repaint fiberglass himself.

Despite this being a California car all its life, fiberglass does have its drawbacks I guess.

Good thing the new Corvettes don't use fiberglass.

Honestly, saying "I'm not a fan of fiberglass" is like saying "I'm not a fan of carbon fiber" or "I'm not a fan of light weight cars." Did you know that about 20% of the body panels on a C7 Corvette is CARBON FIBER? The entire roof, the entire hood, and a couple of high up panels (I think the hatch? Need to look it up) are carbon fiber reinforced plastic? The remainder of the body panels are modern composites, not fiberglass.

I think you mean you're not a fan of plastic bodies. THAT would make more sense because the technology used on the body panels of today's Corvette are closer to plastic than they are to fiberglass of yesteryear. Or I'd say "I'm no fan of ancient push-rod technology" and/or "Leaf springs? REALLY? I'm not a fan of truck suspension on a sporty car" and I probably would keep my fingers quiet, although I don't 100% agree with ether sentiment.

I'm used to the BMW dealership experience, so this I agree 100% with. But I also have had experience dealing with Subaru, Hyundai, FCA, and frankly, GM dealership experience is on-par with these other brands and about 100% better than FCA dealerships. I wouldn't buy FCA products for the dealership experience alone.
I believe the hood and roof are carbon fiber with the rest being SMC which I believe is a composite of plastic and fiber glass. There is a carbon fiber SMC but I don’t think they are using it on the Corvette yet. What’s nice about SMC besides the lower weight is the lack of door dings.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #21
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Women, honestly complete buzz kills most of them.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #22
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Well I bought a 2017 Vette, but I kept my M4. To very different cars.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52716.50