M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Lexus IS 300

10-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #45
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

If I were you I'd just test drive the IS300 in both trannsmissions and see which you like better. The IS is much more flexible in mods than any 3-series, with the addition of a Supra turbo and Supra cluth. Look at:
http://www.visionboy.com/cars.html#is300
This shows exactly how powerful and capable that inline-six is.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #46
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass

Late to the party, but here we go.

I had a 02 black/black CPO IS300 5-spd with LSD. A few thoughts:

- DO NOT GET THE MANUAL. The shifter is fine (apart from excessive vibration in idle), but the clutch sucks - big time. There is absolutely no pedeal feel, and the engagement point floats around. It's impossible to shift smoothly in this car. It wasn't just my car, I've driven 3 other manual IS300s, and every 5spd owner I've chatted with agreed on this issue. Save yourself the hassle and get a smooth automatic, I cannot emphasize on this enough.

- Then there's the placement of brake and throttle pedal - they are placed so you CANNOT heel and toe, unless you change the pedals/arms.

- Power/sound. Very slow off line, but once you get it going, it's ok. The Supra derived straight-6 sounds nice under WOT, but most times it's a bit too quiet.

- Handling. It's good for what it is, but it's no go-kart. The chassis is solid, but the suspension setup isn't very well sorted. The ride is not on the soft ride for a Lexus, but there's still too much body roll. My ZHP can ride just as good and handle 10x times better - tells you how much BMW know about handling. The steering in the IS300 is way too over assisted, but it's expected in a Japanese car. Also, the driving position is very high for a sports sedan, the first few days I felt like I was driving a Minivan (I had a 01 Audi TT before the IS300).

- Interior. I liked mine, but not because it was luxury. I had the half leather half cloth combo, I'd take it over full leather any day. The steering wheel is of very nice size, I liked it. The Casio designed instrument cluster is a mess, very cramped and confusing especially when it's lit in the dark. The stereo was ok, but nothing to write home about.

- Usebility/reliability. Nice car to drive around town (without the clutch, that is), kinda low key (which I liked), but horrible MPG. I used to get around 300miles city/highway out of 16 gallons. Reliability is where it shines, my car never had a problem. My experience with Lexus service is also extremely good, once the service advisor thought he made me wait too long, so he told me to come by Saturday morning for a free wash and a free tank of gas - all I had to wait was 15min.

If all you want is a nice commutemobile with some sportiness, then the auto IS300 is a very nice choice. If you want the real sports car driving experience, the IS300 is just a poser at best.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2006, 01:45 PM   #47
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Did not read the entire thread, but has anyone suggested a G35 yet ?

I dont know about US pricing, but in terms if driving experience, I would guess that it is closest to the 3 series - closer than the IS (from mag reviews)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #48
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
Did not read the entire thread, but has anyone suggested a G35 yet ?

I dont know about US pricing, but in terms if driving experience, I would guess that it is closest to the 3 series - closer than the IS (from mag reviews)
I would agree. Also what about an RX-8??
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #49
deburn
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 ERed MT for lease transfer

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

I bought the IS 300. They gave it to me to drive for a few hours on Saturday afternoon and I loved driving it. They gave me a great deal. Clearly it's not a BMW but I think it's the best combination of the fun factor, luxury/comfort, reliability, resale value and price and that's why I bought it. Also it's a CPO so 3 year, 100k mile, no deductible warranty on top of the 16k/10 month factory warranty that's left on the car - it's at 34,000 miles now

all8up: a Golf or Jetta would have been my first and only choice but a few years ago, I had a few customer service issues (nothing to do with the car itself) with a 2002 A4 and the dealership Brookline Audi VW dicked me around like you wouldnt believe and when I complained to Audi (the guy before Len Hunt) I got a stock response letter from some admin that thhey couldnt or wouldnt do anything. It really pissed me off. When I called the 1-800 # they wouldnt even give me his name. It will be a very long time before I buy another VW product

younghov85: that's the same model and color that I've got, also with Sport Design, but it will be a while before I do any engine mods

mag - thanks for the detailed response, I would have normally bought a stick but got the automatic because of knee surgery coming up.

I dont like the G35 or any of those cars and they're also overpriced. The RX-8 would have been ideal for me, but I heard some bad stories about reliability and even worse ones about gas mileage
      10-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #50
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Congrats!! Post up some pics.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #51
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deburn
I bought the IS 300. They gave it to me to drive for a few hours on Saturday afternoon and I loved driving it. They gave me a great deal. Clearly it's not a BMW but I think it's the best combination of the fun factor, luxury/comfort, reliability, resale value and price and that's why I bought it. Also it's a CPO so 3 year, 100k mile, no deductible warranty on top of the 16k/10 month factory warranty that's left on the car - it's at 34,000 miles now

all8up: a Golf or Jetta would have been my first and only choice but a few years ago, I had a few customer service issues (nothing to do with the car itself) with a 2002 A4 and the dealership Brookline Audi VW dicked me around like you wouldnt believe and when I complained to Audi (the guy before Len Hunt) I got a stock response letter from some admin that thhey couldnt or wouldnt do anything. It really pissed me off. When I called the 1-800 # they wouldnt even give me his name. It will be a very long time before I buy another VW product

younghov85: that's the same model and color that I've got, also with Sport Design, but it will be a while before I do any engine mods

mag - thanks for the detailed response, I would have normally bought a stick but got the automatic because of knee surgery coming up.

I dont like the G35 or any of those cars and they're also overpriced. The RX-8 would have been ideal for me, but I heard some bad stories about reliability and even worse ones about gas mileage
my friend's rsx8 died after hitting 125... engine just failed.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0