M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Lexus IS 300

10-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
deburn
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 ERed MT for lease transfer

Lexus IS 300

Hi All,

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a 2001-03 IS 300 and would appreciate any feedback re driving experience compared to a 3 Series.

I'm NOT asking whether an IS 300 is comparable to a BMW - I love BMWs and never even looked at anything else before I got my e90. In my mind there is no comparison between a BMW and a Lexus (or an Infiniti, Merc, Audi etc)

Things have changed however (some unexpected expenses) and I'm looking to get something that's as close to a 3 series in terms of the driving experience but at a lower cost.

Thanks!
deburn
      10-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Hey if that's all you can afford based on your current financial situation, go for it.
I beleive maintenance costs will be cheaper as well. I'm guessing that you've already considered a used BMW as well?
I can tell you that the older IS's may have good HP but can't handle worth a shit but if it's a daily driver, it's doubtful you need a corner carver anyways.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deburn
Hi All,

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a 2001-03 IS 300 and would appreciate any feedback re driving experience compared to a 3 Series.

I'm NOT asking whether an IS 300 is comparable to a BMW - I love BMWs and never even looked at anything else before I got my e90. In my mind there is no comparison between a BMW and a Lexus (or an Infiniti, Merc, Audi etc)

Things have changed however (some unexpected expenses) and I'm looking to get something that's as close to a 3 series in terms of the driving experience but at a lower cost.

Thanks!
deburn

good car. i mean if i was you i would try for a used BMW before i went with a lexus (which is a toyota). but its still a great choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
jerrygarcia
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 sedan eventually

My brother currently drives one, its an automatic. Its a pretty good car for the money it can be had for these days. Its "peppy" (with traction conrtol off and "power" mode it loses its tail and can actually be fun) , handles decently, and is decently luxurious. It drives very well, although sometimes the throttle can be a little annoying, im pretty sure is drive by wire. Of course this is all relative for the price. One thing is that it is very reliable, and lexus' service is impecable.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
Viral
Major
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

I say get a TSX...........
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral
I say get a TSX...........
Nooooooo, TSX is horrible. I had one and it is probably about 1/10 as fun to drive as a Lexus IS300.

The IS300 is a very good car for the price. It is reliable, high quality, quick and very fun to drive. It handles like a go-kart. It has a great mix of luxury and sport, with more of an emphasis on the latter. I loved it a lot and would have gotten one last year but I knew the new model IS was coming out and didn't want to get stuck with an old model.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
Nooooooo, TSX is horrible. I had one and it is probably about 1/10 as fun to drive as a Lexus IS300.

The IS300 is a very good car for the price. It is reliable, high quality, quick and very fun to drive. It handles like a go-kart. It has a great mix of luxury and sport, with more of an emphasis on the latter. I loved it a lot and would have gotten one last year but I knew the new model IS was coming out and didn't want to get stuck with an old model.
Somehow I knew she was going to defend the IS300.
Anyhow, between the used Bimmer and Used Lexus (Toyota), I'd go Japanese...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
TAGHRP2
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep
Drives: IS300/540i-6spd

IS300 is a nice car, cheaper maintenance, but if i would you, i would go for a test drive, some people don't dig the suspension & some people do, make sure to pick MY02 & up, there's only one recall about IS300 which is a software for ecu/trans contro for MY01l, but everything else is fine... all in all, you will get what you paid for....

P.S... serivce is just great, if they will hold the car for more that 45min, they will offer you a loaner car, not like other BMW, you can only have a loaner if you purchased the car from them... IS300.net is ur fwend

MY01 IS300= stock w/ 20% tint.

MY00 e39 540 6spd M-package. Stock, but the power is good enough.

E90 335i ... Montego with Black leather, 6spd, sport package, cold weather package, trunk spoiler & sirius radio D.O.B.10/09:rocks:, Date of arrival 10/30/06:rocks: .
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #9
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
I have nothing but satisfactiory for the Lex. Even though I am not driving one, my parent and my sister both got the Lex (a LS and a RX). To me, Lexus is all about comfort and smoothness... you can't go wrong with a Lexus. Hehe to tell you the truth, IS300 was once the only car that I ever wanna get and NOTHING else.... hehe see now, the E90 changes my mind...
      10-11-2006, 01:34 AM   #10
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

I love my girlfriend's IS300 because it's very nimble in the city and stable at high speeds. I do complain that this 2001 model at 60K miles makes a creaking noises over bumps.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #11
deburn
Private
Rep

Thanks guys, this is exactly the feedback I was looking for. Again, if cost wasnt an issue I would stick with my e90. Any more thoughts on the automatic versus manual? I've always driven a stick but getting older and wondering whether to move to automatic.

Anyone knows how it handles in the snow? are all seasons fine or does it need winter tires?
      10-11-2006, 09:02 AM   #12
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Snow, RWD...ah not much experience, but my dad would never go with it...
If the $$$ is an issue why not a new Civic or something cheap and dependable? I bet you it handles the snow better than the RWD car.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #13
Dr Noelle
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 332

Garage List
Am I the only one to cringe when I see the word "Lexus" in this forum... Get a cheaper BMW E46... stick to the Bavarian stable....!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #14
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

why not post your question on lexus forum? They know their car best just like we know our car and how expensive to maintain and any other pros and cons with the car...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #15
deburn
Private
Rep

txusa03 I have posted in a lexus forum, but I wanted the opinion of BMW drivers because I know a BMW driver is more likely to be looking for a fun drive than a Lexus driver

Dr Noelle I did think about getting an older bimmer but I dont want to get entangled in high maintenance costs - that would defeat the purpose. I accept some performance trade-offs with the IS 300 but I know I wont have to worry too much about maintenance costs.

Thanks for your comments
      10-11-2006, 03:58 PM   #16
deburn
Private
Rep

TSX?

Thanks Nikki - appreciate the feedback. I am also considering the TSX because it's got decent reviews and also I'd get a newer car but I dont know how it compares to the IS 300 (apart from what you just said)

Any one else want to share their experience (or what they've heard from firends) with the TSX?

Quote:

10-12-2006, 06:52 AM   #17
Dr Noelle
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 332

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deburn
txusa03 I have posted in a lexus forum, but I wanted the opinion of BMW drivers because I know a BMW driver is more likely to be looking for a fun drive than a Lexus driver

Dr Noelle I did think about getting an older bimmer but I dont want to get entangled in high maintenance costs - that would defeat the purpose. I accept some performance trade-offs with the IS 300 but I know I wont have to worry too much about maintenance costs.

Thanks for your comments

E46's are generally bomb proof... all you have to do is change parts which wear out... There are many independant garages...Many other parts can be sourced from recylers... you don't need a mega budget..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #18
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Oh and with the TSX, forget making u-turns. It has the turning radius of an escalade. You need 3 lanes.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2006, 07:59 AM   #19
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Oh and with the TSX, forget making u-turns. It has the turning radius of an escalade. You need 3 lanes.
could it be the driver's skill
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2006, 08:25 AM   #20
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Nikki, can you share more of your 1st hand experience regarding owning the TSX, I've test drove one when I was shopping for cars, it 'felt' really fast, but wasn't, other than that, I thought it was a decent entry-lux overall. One of the directors at my company drives one and he thinks it's the greatest.
So, tell me more about it, I'm crious
Quote:
      10-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #21
deburn
Private
Rep

TSX - 3 lanes?

Yeah, I've heard good things about the TSX too. Actually I should say I've heard good things - I dont know anyone who's driven one

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
Nikki, can you share more of your 1st hand experience regarding owning the TSX, I've test drove one when I was shopping for cars, it 'felt' really fast, but wasn't, other than that, I thought it was a decent entry-lux overall. One of the directors at my company drives one and he thinks it's the greatest.
So, tell me more about it, I'm crious
      10-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #22
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

The TSX is an incredible car- for a non-enthusiast.
It gives you power, prestige, looks, at a great price.
If you don't care that it handles horribly, has plastic seats it calls "leather trimmed", and can't get out of its own way until you hit 5k RPM then it's the right car for you.

here is what i wrote a while ago in a TSX thread here:

Price-good
Appearance-above average
Interior quality-ok for price, definitely not up to BMW standards (seats aren't even full leather and feel cheaper than the BMW leatherette)
Ergonomics- one of the reasons i'm selling, seats don't hold me, bolster gets in the way of shifting
Acceleration-good, but not thrilling, NO TORQUE!
Manual tranny- clunky shifter, very mechanical feeling and sounding
Handling-fair, it feels unsafe around corners at medium speeds, doesn't stick like the GS-R
Turning radius- bad bad bad! worse than an escalade or a navigator, statistically!
Overall-good, especially for the money, but boring for someone who likes to drive

Also keep in mind that the V6 Accord is cheaper and much faster than the TSX with all the same luxuries, so it's a good alternative.

and problems within the first year with less than 6k miles on the car:

Trunk wire harness recall-fixed
Condensation in passenger side headlight-fixed
Rattle from passenger side speaker-fixed
Rattle from driver side speaker
Gauge brightness jumps from too dim to too dark
Center Console top compartment won't stay up
Driver side seat bolster creasing and cracking (vinyl)
Steering wheel center piece doesn't line up right
Windows occasionally screech when going up

Appreciate 0