M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Where do you keep your phone?

05-08-2020, 11:41 PM   #1
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Where do you keep your phone?

Hi All...

I'm not a huge fan of wireless charging. I'm curious where in the 8 series you put your phone while driving and which port you use for charging.

Thx in advance!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 12:10 AM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
Hi All...

I'm not a huge fan of wireless charging. I'm curious where in the 8 series you put your phone while driving and which port you use for charging.

Thx in advance!!!
Personally my Pixel 3XL gets extremely hot in the wireless charging tray but regardless of that when in the car I want it visible at all times as it runs my JBV1 app that integrates into my Valentine 1 along with Waze (via APIs so no need to run the app at all). I ended up buying a cup holder phone mount (this one specifically via Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which works like a champ. If I need to charge while it is in the holder than I tap it into the USBC in the console. The mount will work for both Android and Apple with the bottom clip of the mount supporting USBC (modern Android and iOS) along with the older lightening cables for Apple.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 09:27 PM   #3
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
That's a great accessory for your phone. My phone stays in my pocket. It is 5 demerit points and a $350 fine for touching your phone while driving - and I do mean no touching, no calling, no videoing, no accessing apps etc. For holidays we have double demerits, which would be 10 points and a $700 fine. The city has now over 50 mobile camera locations to catch people using their mobile phones. It is making the Government a mint. So phone stays in my pocket.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 09:30 PM   #4
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
That's a great accessory for your phone. My phone stays in my pocket. It is 5 demerit points and a $350 fine for touching your phone while driving - and I do mean no touching, no calling, no videoing, no accessing apps etc. For holidays we have double demerits, which would be 10 points and a $700 fine. The city has now over 50 mobile camera locations to catch people using their mobile phones. It is making the Government a mint. So phone stays in my pocket.
Wow! What's the justification for no hands free talking?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 09:44 PM   #5
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Clarification: I meant no calling from your phone while in hand and driving. Hands free is fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:28 PM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Clarification: I meant no calling from your phone while in hand and driving. Hands free is fine.
Phew.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:50 PM   #7
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
Hi All...

Thx in advance!!!
I use magnetic mounts in two places and a third that IS the phone case itself. The phone has a small skin-case that magnetically mounts to the larger wallet case. Either can magnetically attach to the two mounts in my car. One of the mounts on the dash to the right of the console display is primarily for the smaller skin-case. The second mount is to the right of my knee (on left-hand drive cars) and connects to a USB-C cable that emerges from the center console. See pics below:

Name:  1c.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  122.7 KB

Name:  2c.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  173.3 KB

Name:  3c.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  198.1 KB

Name:  4c.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  219.5 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  218.6 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  185.4 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  166.0 KB
Appreciate 2
POBA272.00
Ozzie8641.00
      05-09-2020, 11:21 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I use magnetic mounts in two places and a third that IS the phone case itself. The phone has a small skin-case that magnetically mounts to the larger wallet case. Either can magnetically attach to the two mounts in my car. One of the mounts on the dash to the right of the console display is primarily for the smaller skin-case. The second mount is to the right of my knee (on left-hand drive cars) and connects to a USB-C cable that emerges from the center console. See pics below:
I wanted a magnetic mount as well vs the cup holder solution but there isn't a single spot on the console to do so with the phone facing you (my requirement as JBV1 runs live on my Pixel while driving). That said without that requirement your setup is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:27 PM   #9
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
I wanted a magnetic mount as well vs the cup holder solution but there isn't a single spot on the console to do so with the phone facing you (my requirement as JBV1 runs live on my Pixel while driving). That said without that requirement your setup is perfect.
The mount next to the iDrive console does result in the phone facing you, that's why I have it. Does the way it looks in the pics not work for you?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:33 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The mount next to the iDrive console does result in the phone facing you, that's why I have it. Does the way it looks in the pics not work for you?
My bad as I saw the pic with the phone mounted on the left side of the console (in its case) and stopped scrolling. So now with paying attention what is the magnetic mount you are using for the mount on the right side of the console facing you?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:36 PM   #11
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My bad as I saw the pic with the phone mounted on the left side of the console (in its case) and stopped scrolling. So now with paying attention what is the magnetic mount you are using for the mount on the right side of the console facing you?
I'll get you an Amazon link.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:39 PM   #12
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Magnetic Phone Car Mount,...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q9L47H7...p_mob_ap_share
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 12:20 AM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you! Ordered place and although not an essential item with my Prime membership is is supposed to be delivered tomorrow!
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      05-10-2020, 12:49 AM   #14
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! Ordered place and although not an essential item with my Prime membership is is supposed to be delivered tomorrow!
Take your time figuring out the "wheres" (plural) because the position of the mount itself as well as the position of the adhesive disc that attaches to the back of the phone case will influence the ability for the phone to rotate on the mount in order for it to face you. Once it's stuck, that adhesive pad is pretty much done but they provide two or three IIRC.

The positioning I've shown in the pics works well for an iPhone 11 Pro. The adhesive disc is just about dead-center in those pics. In retrospect, placing the adhesive disc (for my phone) slightly lower than dead-center might have been more optimal since it should allow the phone to move laterally/left-to-right a bit more freely without hitting AC vents, etc. However, that would inhibit/restrict it being mounted horizontally/landscape so I've made no effort to test that alternative.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #15
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:

Attachment 2306737

Attachment 2306738

Attachment 2306739

Attachment 2306740

Attachment 2306741

Attachment 2306742

Attachment 2306743
BTW, Love your list of songs! Please share more
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      05-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #16
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

A self-inflicting comment, but until BMW release Android Auto, I'm just leaving my phone plugged in with the cup-holder cover open.

When they release it, I'll keep the phone on the wireless charging mat, and close the cup-holder cover so the phone is out the way and doesn't distract me.

M
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #17
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Like the magnetic mounts limeypride....
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      05-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #18
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like the magnetic mounts limeypride....
Yeah, me too. It took quite a few iterations and the tossing of crap purchases in the garbage but we got there. The case itself (called a Book Book) is also magnetic so everything's attracted to everything (in a good way).

I made the magnetic knee-mount piece myself by cutting a rectangular strip of industrial strength black Velcro (furry side) and sticking it directly to the car's carpeted tunnel wall. This is basically invisible when there's nothing attached to it so when I'm done with the car, I have nothing to peel off. I bought super-strong black earth magnets and attached them (glue + magnetism) to a small piece of black, rectangular metal that came with one of the earlier throw-away magnetic mounts. Finally, I stuck the other half of the industrial strength Velcro (the hooked-side) to the metal and attached that to the furry Velcro using the Velcro itself. Now I have 3 black earth magnets next to my right knee that the Book Book case magnetically adheres to because it's full of metal+magnets itself. Phew, that was simple.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:01 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Take your time figuring out the "wheres" (plural) because the position of the mount itself as well as the position of the adhesive disc that attaches to the back of the phone case will influence the ability for the phone to rotate on the mount in order for it to face you. Once it's stuck, that adhesive pad is pretty much done but they provide two or three IIRC.

The positioning I've shown in the pics works well for an iPhone 11 Pro. The adhesive disc is just about dead-center in those pics. In retrospect, placing the adhesive disc (for my phone) slightly lower than dead-center might have been more optimal since it should allow the phone to move laterally/left-to-right a bit more freely without hitting AC vents, etc. However, that would inhibit/restrict it being mounted horizontally/landscape so I've made no effort to test that alternative.
Can you do me one last favor and post a pic of just the mount (sans phone) in the position you have on the right hand side of the console for the phone to face the driving position? Sorry to be needy but this is a hardware play vs software (my forte) and to your point once the mount is "stuck" game over on a 2nd chance.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:17 PM   #20
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Can you do me one last favor and post a pic of just the mount (sans phone) in the position you have on the right hand side of the console for the phone to face the driving position? Sorry to be needy but this is a hardware play vs software (my forte) and to your point once the mount is "stuck" game over on a 2nd chance.
No worries; this is a get it right first time scenario.

// PS: my car looks so clean to the naked eye (and to a half-naked photographer, i.e. me--it's hot, what can I say)... but at zoom: ewwwwwww.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 07:57 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No worries; this is a get it right first time scenario.

// PS: my car looks so clean to the naked eye (and to a half-naked photographer, i.e. me--it's hot, what can I say)... but at zoom: ewwwwwww.
Thank you! The mount did arrive so I'll give it a go tomorrow. LOL on the clean to the naked eye as mine does the same but when I took a pic of the Autohold button last night to post on that thread... WOW dusty.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #22
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
limeypride thanks for the hook up on the Syncwire magnetic mount. I didn't install it until this morning as luck would have it the plastic frame around my Spigen Neo Hybrid case broke and I was waiting for a replacement case to be delivered that finally showed up this morning.

Given that the case adds some weight to the phone (but not ridiculous like some of the Otterbox solutions) I opted for the rectangular shaped magnet figuring it will be more stable. Plus, to your point on positioning it gives a greater surface area so I can move the phone up/down against the mount. With the structure of the case I did not even stick the rectangular magnet to it as there is no way its going to move. With the rectangular magnet placed in the center of the case during a test drive this afternoon I was able to move the phone up to make access to the passenger side AC vent fully available. Win-Win.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50