M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Remote 3D View in IOS App

01-08-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Remote 3D View in IOS App

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Has nothing to do with the car but I couldn't get the Remote 3D view to work on my phone...

I probably think it's more of a gimmick than something I would actually use it still bugged me that I would get an error even though all required settings were enabled on the car.

Long story short, I spoke to the Connected Drive support today; the checked with the Genius team and they stated the service is disabled due to vendor issues.
And that has been the case since late April 2019...

Frankly I have a hard time believing that. Has anyone got this working on their 8 Series?
Appreciate 1
mgod483.50
      01-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #2
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Just tried it. It works. They were having problems with it - and with almost everything involved with Connected Drive - during the spring, but those issues were resolved.

The real problem is with the Connected Drive and "Genius" agents, who almost always have no idea what they're talking about.

Are the other Connected Drive functions working for you? If so, did you dive into the in-car, on-screen menus to, basically, give yourself permission to use the Remote 3D function? If not, I can find that check box for you tomorrow.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      01-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Everything else in the app works. All permissions
In the car are set.

Good to hear it actually works as it seems like a neat feature...
Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2020, 10:20 PM   #4
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Wolfman64 can I encourage you to keep trying. It works for me but is unreliable.

Just now I attempted a new 3D view and received what appears to be an error message:

! Feature Requirements
Remote 3D will not refresh if one of both of the below requirements..etc etc..log into driver profile and allow data use.

If you have logged in and allowed data use, then please don't be confused by this message as I was! I interpreted this as an error message. It is not - it is a warning. At this point I was giving up. Just check the box 'Don't show me again' and it will stop presenting this and potentially confusing you.

From the vehicle icon in the app now hit the Refresh View button.

You will get another warning message:
! Attention: Mirrors will unfold
There is also a 'Don't show again' box option - but I will keep this as it is actually a good warning message.

Then hit confirm and it goes through a process under 'loading' (sometimes the sub steps below are visible)
- Connecting to server
- Activating
- Taking pictures
- Receiving & rendering images

This can take between 1-2 mins. And then you should have your image which you can rotate and look at what is around your vehicle. And at the top should be a time stamp and location address. This is stored in the app until you Refresh View again.

Sometimes you do get a genuine error message, such as service unavailable, just hit try again. Or use iOS to close the app and restart it. I suspect BMW have this app running on a single vintage 2008 PC running Windows XP from their Antarctic server farm.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 11:18 PM   #5
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

I wondered the same about the genius guy at the dealership too. He reset my Carplay by having me set it up again, only to later find out all my remote commands (3d view, lock/unlock and remote start) no longer work now. I still see mileage and can send a destination from the ios app to the car, but the remote commands don't work.

Thoughts anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMofoFrog View Post
I wondered the same about the genius guy at the dealership too. He reset my Carplay by having me set it up again, only to later find out all my remote commands (3d view, lock/unlock and remote start) no longer work now. I still see mileage and can send a destination from the ios app to the car, but the remote commands don't work.

Thoughts anyone?
As a BMW genius, I can tell you this is a very common issue right now. Just had a client come in 10 minutes ago with his 20 330i have the same issue, remote commands not working. All I can say is the app is a huge pain in the ass and rarely works as it should.
      01-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #7
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
As a BMW genius, I can tell you this is a very common issue right now. Just had a client come in 10 minutes ago with his 20 330i have the same issue, remote commands not working. All I can say is the app is a huge pain in the ass and rarely works as it should.
Same crap we have with the Mercedes Me app.
According to our MB dealer, it's the No.1 complaint. Not the cars but the app.
Software is not the strong suit of German car manufacturers...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #8
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Wolfman64 can I encourage you to keep trying. It works for me but is unreliable.

Just now I attempted a new 3D view and received what appears to be an error message:

! Feature Requirements
Remote 3D will not refresh if one of both of the below requirements..etc etc..log into driver profile and allow data use.

If you have logged in and allowed data use, then please don't be confused by this message as I was! I interpreted this as an error message. It is not - it is a warning. At this point I was giving up. Just check the box 'Don't show me again' and it will stop presenting this and potentially confusing you.

From the vehicle icon in the app now hit the Refresh View button.

You will get another warning message:
! Attention: Mirrors will unfold
There is also a 'Don't show again' box option - but I will keep this as it is actually a good warning message.

Then hit confirm and it goes through a process under 'loading' (sometimes the sub steps below are visible)
- Connecting to server
- Activating
- Taking pictures
- Receiving & rendering images

This can take between 1-2 mins. And then you should have your image which you can rotate and look at what is around your vehicle. And at the top should be a time stamp and location address. This is stored in the app until you Refresh View again.

Sometimes you do get a genuine error message, such as service unavailable, just hit try again. Or use iOS to close the app and restart it. I suspect BMW have this app running on a single vintage 2008 PC running Windows XP from their Antarctic server farm.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the detailed info!
I followed your advice but no dice
It just sits there refreshing; if I force quit and restart it either fails to connect to the secure server, or activating cameras.

This is the last message I got...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #9
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post

Good to hear it actually works as it seems like a neat feature...
Thanks!
I found it useful mostly to keep an eye on my car when it's in for service, to see if any service techs are actually in the same time zone as my car. (I just typed that smiley face, but...I wasn't really joking.)
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #10
likegadgets
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

It works for me - when I set it up I had to allow it from the vehicle a couple of time (turning it off and one with a day in between) until it worked. I was traveling in another continent and tried to view it and got a message that I could not view it from where I was. Changing the IP via VPN made it work. This would be useful if it would store this as video, kind of what a ring camera does.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #11
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likegadgets View Post
It works for me - when I set it up I had to allow it from the vehicle a couple of time (turning it off and one with a day in between) until it worked. I was traveling in another continent and tried to view it and got a message that I could not view it from where I was. Changing the IP via VPN made it work. This would be useful if it would store this as video, kind of what a ring camera does.
And then integrate it with my smart home and get alerts when someone approaches your car
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #12
mgod
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m4 csl 992 turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Has nothing to do with the car but I couldn't get the Remote 3D view to work on my phone...

I probably think it's more of a gimmick than something I would actually use it still bugged me that I would get an error even though all required settings were enabled on the car.

Long story short, I spoke to the Connected Drive support today; the checked with the Genius team and they stated the service is disabled due to vendor issues.
And that has been the case since late April 2019...

Frankly I have a hard time believing that. Has anyone got this working on their 8 Series?
I had f90 m5 and now the m8 and it always work for me remote view and even remote start, even work on my f13 m6 but it's for you to get it connected at first that the hard part once it's connected it's really amazing.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #13
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgod View Post
I had f90 m5 and now the m8 and it always work for me remote view and even remote start, even work on my f13 m6 but it's for you to get it connected at first that the hard part once it's connected it's really amazing.
Luckily the remote start and all other functions work apart from the Remote view.
My next issue turned out to be signing up my wife as a secondary. Tried to do that; first part of the sign-up failed, then the account couldn't be associated with the VIN.
Spoke to ConnectedDrive again. They also couldn't do it. Blamed the email address; then used another email which didn't work either.

So no app for my wife. Trouble ticket is out with a promised 10 day turnaround time.

Again, this doesn't diminish the car but in MN winters removes a useful function...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #14
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
It is incredibly frustrating when the tech basics don't work.
Appreciate 1
Wolfman64811.50
      01-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #15
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for the detailed info!
I followed your advice but no dice
It just sits there refreshing; if I force quit and restart it either fails to connect to the secure server, or activating cameras.

This is the last message I got...
Wolfman64 - just a couple of other thoughts. I was having a lot of connectivity issues with my 8 and my iPhone. I don't use Apple CarPlay - I prefer the vehicle interface. I was unable to get my phone messages to display and I was having issues with remote connect. I then upgraded to iPhone 11 (3 camera model) and iOS 13. Problem solved, all working. Also on your iPhone do you have mobile data switched on (Mobile --> Mobile Data setting). I am sure you do!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #16
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Wolfman64 - just a couple of other thoughts. I was having a lot of connectivity issues with my 8 and my iPhone. I don't use Apple CarPlay - I prefer the vehicle interface. I was unable to get my phone messages to display and I was having issues with remote connect. I then upgraded to iPhone 11 (3 camera model) and iOS 13. Problem solved, all working. Also on your iPhone do you have mobile data switched on (Mobile --> Mobile Data setting). I am sure you do!
Have an iPhone 11Pro as well with the latest IOS 13 rev. Mobile data is on as well.

The problem is likely the same as Mercedes. I have to unlock or remote start our car via secure servers in Germany and the process is bottle-necked.

They should move these to cloud-based services and be done with it...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #17
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Spoke w/BMW again today and was told they are indeed aware there's an issue, but with no ETA for resolution. They had me delete the app, wait 30 mins and reinstall, but it did not fix the issue. I've also noticed on the app once in the remote section, if you choose "info", it shows the remote 3D view is actually disabled, and in my case so is "stop climatization", however if you press on the aforementioned items nothing happens/no other options appear to enable (everything has been enabled in the vehicle's main screen).

Although the loss of remote view doesn't affect the lovely driving experience, it is a very useful feature, especially if one wants to keep an eye on their vehicle when parked publically etc.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-15-2020 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #18
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I opened the app today again and clicked on remote view.

To my surprise it actually had a prior days evening image recorded!
So it appears to be a recorded snapshot.

When pressing the refresh button, it just says "loading". Eventually it says "an error occurred..."

So it appears that the functionality actually works now but so poorly that it isn't usable.
That said, I still can't add my wife as a secondary.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #19
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Does your remote view show enabled on the app?

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #20
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I received info just now as a follow up from Genius saying there was a production issue on 8 series that were manufactured from 7/19-11/19 where certain aspects of the remote 3D software were not included (or something to that effect). I was told that they are placing a ticket to address on the back end of BMW's systems which may solve this issue for me, but there is now an update available at the dealers; when I asked for a campaign # the rep did not have that info. My vehicle was produced 6/19 which just falls outside of the range but the rep said it's so close to the dates that it may be affected. The beat goes on...

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-15-2020 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      01-15-2020, 05:37 PM   #21
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Does your remote view show enabled on the app?
Yes. This is the only time I have seen actual working screen. Not great due to low light and dirty cameras...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:38 PM   #22
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I received info just now as a follow up from Genius saying there was a production issue on 8 series that were manufactured from 7/19-11/19 where certain aspects of the remote 3D software were not included (or something to that effect). I was told that they are placing a ticket to address on the back end of BMW's systems which may solve this issue for me, but there is now an update available at the dealers; when I asked for a campaign # the rep did not have that info. My vehicle was produced 6/19 which just falls outside of the range but the rep said it's so close to the dates that it may be affected. The beat goes on...
Stupid question. Where can I get to see the manufacturing date/week?
Appreciate 0