M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 and burbles

02-06-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

M8 and burbles

Burbles are a love hate relationship. I love them when is not too frequent but for some reason my m8 doesn’t really burble much. Was watching a video on IG and a m8 reving and it would burble one every rev.

Doesn’t seem like it burbles as much even in sport plus. Thinking maybe it is but can’t hear it since the car is so insulated

I have secondary catless Downpipe’s and was sure the burbles would be louder and more pronounced but it wasn’t

Anybody else with a m8 not hearing their burbles
Appreciate 1
mgod483.50
      02-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Burbles are a love hate relationship. I love them when is not too frequent but for some reason my m8 doesn’t really burble much. Was watching a video on IG and a m8 reving and it would burble one every rev.

Doesn’t seem like it burbles as much even in sport plus. Thinking maybe it is but can’t hear it since the car is so insulated

I have secondary catless Downpipe’s and was sure the burbles would be louder and more pronounced but it wasn’t

I guess I have never been outside the car with someone else revving it but driving it I can't hear a thing.

This car is quiet as a mouse compared to the AMG's
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #3
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:

I guess I have never been outside the car with someone else revving it but driving it I can't hear a thing.

Quote:
Burbles are a love hate relationship. I love them when is not too frequent but for some reason my m8 doesn't really burble much. Was watching a video on IG and a m8 reving and it would burble one every rev.

Doesn't seem like it burbles as much even in sport plus. Thinking maybe it is but can't hear it since the car is so insulated

I have secondary catless Downpipe's and was sure the burbles would be louder and more pronounced but it wasn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:
Burbles are a love hate relationship. I love them when is not too frequent but for some reason my m8 doesn't really burble much. Was watching a video on IG and a m8 reving and it would burble one every rev.

Doesn't seem like it burbles as much even in sport plus. Thinking maybe it is but can't hear it since the car is so insulated

I have secondary catless Downpipe's and was sure the burbles would be louder and more pronounced but it wasn't

Throw it in sport plus. That's the only time it'll burble and crackle. However listening to videos it seems quieter than a M5 come, we're regulations for sound more strict for 2020?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 06:34 PM   #4
Wristdoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8C, 2019 X7 50i

Only 375 miles on mine so still in the break-in period but I have noticed that if you let off the throttle rapidly, that seems to elicit the most burbles.

This is in sport plus.

I have a short video that isn't great but I can post it if someone can show me how...

Dave

Last edited by Wristdoc; 02-06-2020 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Never mind.
Car actually sounds decent from the outside when I switched it to M2. Better than the 19 M5 (non-comp) we test drove.
The M8 comp has the performance exhaust, doesn't it?
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wristdoc View Post
Only 375 miles on mine so still in the break-in period but I have noticed that if you let off the throttle rapidly, that seems to elicit the most burbles.

This is in sport plus.

I have a short video that isn't great but I can post it if someone can show me how...

Dave
I can literally make my M850i burble on demand and this is one of the ways to do so. However, in my case it does it even in Sport but Sport Plus ramps it up a notch. For the most part I drive in the Individual Sport setting (wish I had M1/M2 buttons) with all options set at Sport minus the chassis which is Comfort (I'm driving city streets on my commute to work).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:08 PM   #7
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

I drove a 850 before the m8 and it does burble all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I can literally make my M850i burble on demand and this is one of the ways to do so. However, in my case it does it even in Sport but Sport Plus ramps it up a notch. For the most part I drive in the Individual Sport setting (wish I had M1/M2 buttons) with all options set at Sport minus the chassis which is Comfort (I'm driving city streets on my commute to work).
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 01:32 AM   #8
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwarjejeega View Post
Throw it in sport plus. That's the only time it'll burble and crackle. However listening to videos it seems quieter than a M5 come, we're regulations for sound more strict for 2020?
On the M5 Comp (2020 or 2019), you'll get the most overrun burbles in Engine=Sport+ and D3 or S3 transmission shift; noticeably less in D2 or S2.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 04:23 AM   #9
KauvSTi
Rep
Drives: M6, M8 Comp, S63, 720S, F8

My buddies M5 Comp is bone stock and is noticeably louder and has louder burbles than my M8 Comp
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2020, 04:36 AM   #10
mgod
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m4 csl 992 turbo S

Garage List
Quote:

Yea bmw seem to turn it down in the tune for sure but your tuner can get th back up Ans sounding like the m5, but also keep in mind the m8 is more insulated than the m5 so you'll definitely hear them less
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #11
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

This is so accurate. Always drive in sport plus but tranny is in d2. Switched it over to d3 and it’s a huge difference. Finally heard a burble/pop I was expecting after removing the secondary Downpipe’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
On the M5 Comp (2020 or 2019), you'll get the most overrun burbles in Engine=Sport+ and D3 or S3 transmission shift; noticeably less in D2 or S2.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #12
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is so accurate. Always drive in sport plus but tranny is in d2. Switched it over to d3 and it’s a huge difference. Finally heard a burble/pop I was expecting after removing the secondary Downpipe’s

Quote:
Cool, glad that worked!

PS: I think you were referenced as someone that had looked into lowering springs and spacers, if you found something, please PM me.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 11:03 AM   #13
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

Not sure who referenced but that could of been me. I have been running spacers for about 500 miles. HR 11 f/r. Sourced from Ben @RG Sport. Rear is perfect. Front needs a 15

No springs yet. Still following up with the manufactures.

Quote:
Cool, glad that worked!

PS: I think you were referenced as someone that had looked into lowering springs and spacers, if you found something, please PM me.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #14
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure who referenced but that could of been me. I have been running spacers for about 500 miles. HR 11 f/r. Sourced from Ben @RG Sport. Rear is perfect. Front needs a 15

No springs yet. Still following up with the manufactures.
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 10:07 PM   #15
black_F10M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
This is interesting, I wouldn't expect the D2 vs D3 transmission mode to affect burbles. Wonder if it would do the same on my older F10 M5

IND cosmetic | M Performance , RKP , 3D Design aero | Eisenmann Race exhaust | AMS catted downpipes | MSR intake | CSF charge coolers | DME Stage 2 tune | KW v3 coilovers | BBS FI | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Appreciate 1
Drtjxtz160.00
      02-12-2020, 06:37 PM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_F10M5 View Post
This is interesting, I wouldn't expect the D2 vs D3 transmission mode to affect burbles. Wonder if it would do the same on my older F10 M5
Not having a M car I was unaware of D1, D2 and D3 transmission settings. Just did some poking around on Bimmerpost for an education on them and it makes sense D3 will likely generate the most burbles. Based on what I read they control the aggressiveness of the transmission as to when it will shift. With D3 not upshifting until 3K to 3500 RPM. Assuming the same on the downshifts which definitely impact the burbles when they take place. I can be totally ignorant to the fact but sounds at least like a plausible theory.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:39 PM   #17
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

Was at the market and a m850 drove by and man his burbles were loud. Wonder what Bmw was thinking to make the exhaust more aggressive on the m850
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Not having a M car I was unaware of D1, D2 and D3 transmission settings. Just did some poking around on Bimmerpost for an education on them and it makes sense D3 will likely generate the most burbles. Based on what I read they control the aggressiveness of the transmission as to when it will shift. With D3 not upshifting until 3K to 3500 RPM. Assuming the same on the downshifts which definitely impact the burbles when they take place. I can be totally ignorant to the fact but sounds at least like a plausible theory.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #18
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
I agree in Sport Plus the m850i burbles will turn everyone's head in the car park or going past the cafe with outside seating....you can see what I like doing. Any louder and you'd going from being interesting to a pest. But that's just me in suburbia.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:49 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
I agree in Sport Plus the m850i burbles will turn everyone's head in the car park or going past the cafe with outside seating....you can see what I like doing. Any louder and you'd going from being interesting to a pest. But that's just me in suburbia.
I use Sport Individual with everything set to Sport minus chassis/suspension set to Comfort (given I drive surface streets on my commute to work). The car still bubles on demand and turns all heads that do not have ear buds in.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      02-18-2020, 06:51 AM   #20
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauvSTi View Post
My buddies M5 Comp is bone stock and is noticeably louder and has louder burbles than my M8 Comp
Thought I was freaking out or something until I heard them both together. Has to be the regulations for 2020
Appreciate 0