M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Remote 3D View in IOS App

02-22-2020, 08:40 PM   #89
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
My role is perhaps even a little more focused... and I couldn't agree more.

A world without passwords is better and achievable even today to a limited extent, but we're just not yet there for many/?still-most? non-local authN scenarios; in the meantime, complex passwords are a necessity.

// FOREWARNING--boredom potential high : @those that understand digital identity even a little: most credible identity systems (Active Directory being akin to my own child and one that I designed/built for many years) don't actually store any knowledge of the real password--that's not an embellishment, we literally have no idea what it was originally. The process that takes us from [no idea <-> to being able to validate it, nonetheless] is called hashing (or message digest) and is used as part of a larger suite of cryptographic operations that occur when you logon. There's nothing in this process--literally nothing--that could give a $hit about any of the characters used in a plaintext password string... so why the hell does BMW apparently care? I don't know, but it doesn't fill me with confidence...
Absolutely SPOT ON (as I live in the world of certificate based authentication, hashing plus salt, etc.). So to your point in regards to Connected Drive's password usage it obviously done so in plain text (hopefully at least via an encrypted TLS tunnel over the wire). Didn't call that out in my last update with my password change, etc. as per the boredom being potentially high.

In fact with iDrive 7 and digital keys (in essence a certificate based solution) BMW should drive down that road (pun intended) vs passwords as a whole. However, then you enter the IT software paradox dilemma of backward compatibility still leading to the need for passwords. However, if done right it's the hash/digest vs the obvious plain text in use today!

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 02-22-2020 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:41 PM   #90
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Given I had to share my password with my SA and ultimately the tech whom worked on the M850i yesterday obviously a password change was in the cards for today. Given the password change is done via https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ I made note of their password requirements and to my prior post on advice from BMW CA's they require complexity as that is baseline security in the digital world we all live in.

As you will all note, an "@" is allowed as a special character and hence my original choice to include. My original password with the "@" for my Connected Drive account was set up in December 2016 when my wife's 2017 X5 landed. It wasn't until late December that the Remote 3D View stopped working on my M850i and then ultimately on 2/13 everything. The puzzling factor is my wife's X5 with iDrive 6 continued to work flawlessly so hence the theory in an earlier post that somehow iDrive 7 is in play.

I'm willing to bet that the software changes deployed on the BMW cloud (aka secure server) side in late December (broke the M850i's Remote 3D View) and February which broke everything for the M850i did not get properly tested with all special characters for a password in regards to iDrive 7 equipped vehicles.

My new updated password utilizes "#" as the special character and so far so good. RJC-1 if your special character is not a "#" as well can you share it so we all at least know what is working?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #91
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
And that is because your a star aka asterisk in all that you do.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      02-22-2020, 08:55 PM   #92
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Same

Quote:
Update on my Connected Drive situation. Got a text message late this afternoon stating the car was ready for pickup. He also included that the "@" in my password was causing the problem. I'm in IT and deal with all security aspects so my passwords are always complex (and include special characters).

Given the claim that all of Connected Drive was fixed I figured I'd try a Remote 3D View operation (using the new password - they substituted the @ with an "a"). Low and behold it worked perfectly and I did LOL on how the X7 behind the M850i looks like it is going to eat it (as in the grill being Jaws).

That said though I'm still not buying the password issue as it has been the same for Connected Drive since buying my Wife's 2017 X5 in December of 2016 and as mentioned all functions worked fine with the X5. Case-in-point when I get in the M850i to drive it home my entire iDrive settings were wiped out and the "home" screen was stock. The flashing PSL for exceeding was already annoying me so I quickly adjusted at a stop light.

All of my Media presets were gone so I also quickly set the source to SirusXM Ozzy's BoneYard and instantaneously recognized my B&W settings were wiped as well. Frustrating as I spent days dialing that in and now need to go through the painstaking process to reset them. I'm guessing you can all see where this is leading, i.e., when I finally was in the garage at home I pulled up the iDrive software release setting and sure enough I have a brand new load. My new version is 11/2019.55 which is 35 point releases beyond Noushy's 11/2019.20 which to this date I though was the latest.
I had the same problem issue after service. I went in and they wiped the software, reset all the coding I did and all my settings.
It wasn't a password thing but bmw software updates seem to come out two or three times a year. After talking to many people, it seems to be a common occurrence. Takes 3-4 hours, they rarely have loaners, and they wipe all your stuff recoding.

After going through it once, I'm can tell ya I'm not taking mine back to the dealership unless I have to for warranty work.

Quote:
Update on my Connected Drive situation. Got a text message late this afternoon stating the car was ready for pickup. He also included that the "@" in my password was causing the problem. I'm in IT and deal with all security aspects so my passwords are always complex (and include special characters).

Given the claim that all of Connected Drive was fixed I figured I'd try a Remote 3D View operation (using the new password - they substituted the @ with an "a"). Low and behold it worked perfectly and I did LOL on how the X7 behind the M850i looks like it is going to eat it (as in the grill being Jaws).

That said though I'm still not buying the password issue as it has been the same for Connected Drive since buying my Wife's 2017 X5 in December of 2016 and as mentioned all functions worked fine with the X5. Case-in-point when I get in the M850i to drive it home my entire iDrive settings were wiped out and the "home" screen was stock. The flashing PSL for exceeding was already annoying me so I quickly adjusted at a stop light.

All of my Media presets were gone so I also quickly set the source to SirusXM Ozzy's BoneYard and instantaneously recognized my B&W settings were wiped as well. Frustrating as I spent days dialing that in and now need to go through the painstaking process to reset them. I'm guessing you can all see where this is leading, i.e., when I finally was in the garage at home I pulled up the iDrive software release setting and sure enough I have a brand new load. My new version is 11/2019.55 which is 35 point releases beyond Noushy's 11/2019.20 which to this date I though was the latest.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #93
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I had the same problem issue after service. I went in and they wiped the software, reset all the coding I did and all my settings.
It wasn't a password thing but bmw software updates seem to come out two or three times a year. After talking to many people, it seems to be a common occurrence. Takes 3-4 hours, they rarely have loaners, and they wipe all your stuff recoding.

After going through it once, I'm can tell ya I'm not taking mine back to the dealership unless I have to for warranty work.
The wiping of all settings is indeed a total issue. That said if BMW did it right and sync'd them to the cloud (aka secure server called out in the app) that would be a thing of the past. Google Android and Apple iPhone's do this and hence not a stretch of the imagination in any what way but rather poor digital experience on BMW's part.

I've also read on many other posts in regards to the lack of loaners, etc. especially for 8-series flagship customers. Thankfully in my case the dealer I bought my wife's X5 and my M850i from always accommodate me with a loaner. More so even to as I posted given my size they provide an appropriate vehicle to ensure my comfort.

The lack of loaners is a dealership issue and not sure if you have more than one in your area but if so I'd look elsewhere. The key being that warranty/maintenance is a higher gross income than the initial sale of the car. So any dealer will be happy for your warranty/maintenance work to make you a satisfied customer.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2020, 10:34 PM   #94
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post

The wiping of all settings is indeed a total issue. That said if BMW did it right and sync'd them to the cloud (aka secure server called out in the app) that would be a thing of the past. Google Android and Apple iPhone's do this and hence not a stretch of the imagination in any what way but rather poor digital experience on BMW's part.

I've also read on many other posts in regards to the lack of loaners, etc. especially for 8-series flagship customers. Thankfully in my case the dealer I bought my wife's X5 and my M850i from always accommodate me with a loaner. More so even to as I posted given my size they provide an appropriate vehicle to ensure my comfort.

The lack of loaners is a dealership issue and not sure if you have more than one in your area but if so I'd look elsewhere. The key being that warranty/maintenance is a higher gross income than the initial sale of the car. So any dealer will be happy for your warranty/maintenance work to make you a satisfied customer.
yeah, I'm a big guy too although shorter than you. I'm 6'1" and used to be under 200 until 5 years ago, now I'm around 400 lbs. so "fit" is important to me. it's part of the reason I went for the m850i over a small Porsche.

I live near 1 dealership but I bought it from a dealer near my old office [30 miles away]. the next closest dealership is almost 2 hours away because it's on the other side of the beltway (Maryland).

but honestly after service at both VA ones, I might go service my m850i in Maryland.
Appreciate 0