M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos The New Z/28 gets a wickerbill

04-07-2015, 10:40 PM   #1
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

The New Z/28 gets a wickerbill

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._track_retest/

That wickerbill looks like a joke. Why didn't they change the wing. I thinks it's funny if a cars test doesn't go well they find a band aid. The Z06 and now the wickerbill "gate" lol.

If I am paying the money for for a Z/28 I would hope for a better fix then screwing on a piece of generic plastic. Granted it works but I think it's cheesy when a resigned wing would be a better fix.

Seriously am I just being to critical?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:02 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Stupid tacked-on looking front splitter too. Design the damn thing into the front fascia.

Incredibly lazy design.
      04-07-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

You should have bought a Z/28 when they had the 20% off going on....then you'd be one happy camper.

Still, the Z/28 is one hell of a performer. Even if it has the LS7 that's known for some valve float or lifter failures. Guys have been adding the wicker bill to their Z/28s well before Chevy decided to add it.

I bet if this was the same design on a Merc, BMW, Audi or whatever else, there would be different views on how amazing it looks.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:54 PM   #4
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
You should have bought a Z/28 when they had the 20% off going on....then you'd be one happy camper.

Still, the Z/28 is one hell of a performer. Even if it has the LS7 that's known for some valve float or lifter failures. Guys have been adding the wicker bill to their Z/28s well before Chevy decided to add it.

I bet if this was the same design on a Merc, BMW, Audi or whatever else, there would be different views on how amazing it looks.
I have only seen these forsale 20% above MSRP not below. Besides I hate the camaro ergonomics and rear visibility. Love the way Z28 looks though.

Also I'm not a brand whore I own a GM vehicle and love it but cheezy is cheezy no matter what Brand. I called out BMW when there headrest fix was a generic hose clamp.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:04 AM   #5
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._track_retest/

That wickerbill looks like a joke. Why didn't they change the wing. I thinks it's funny if a cars test doesn't go well they find a band aid. The Z06 and now the wickerbill "gate" lol.

If I am paying the money for for a Z/28 I would hope for a better fix then screwing on a piece of generic plastic. Granted it works but I think it's cheesy when a resigned wing would be a better fix.

I agree. Making cheap, but massively effective OPTIONAL parts is really stupid.

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 04-08-2015 at 01:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #6
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

You guys are funny. GM aren't the only ones who do this. Various flavors of Porsche GT3 have bolted-on wings and 3M taped-on canards.

Often times these things are the way that they are for removal and/or adjustability.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #7
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
You guys are funny. GM aren't the only ones who do this. Various flavors of Porsche GT3 have bolted-on wings and 3M taped-on canards.

Often times these things are the way that they are for removal and/or adjustability.
Can you cite some examples? And if lit ooks as cheap and cheezy as the wickerbill shame on them. Specially if they ran to motortrend and said hey we just engineered this generic piece of plastic that makes the car faster.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 08:56 AM   #8
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
I think maybe you just don't get this car or the people this car is meant for. It's meant be a no compromise, inexpensive track day car. It's for people like me who don't care what a car looks like or if there are some screws showing, as long as it's faster than a bat out of hell and fun to drive. I even almost appreciate how devil-may-care Chevy has been with this car, makes it even sweeter when you're out there hooning around and smoking 911s and GTRs on the track. Not that those cars aren't fantastic in there own right, but the Z/28 is meant to be a true drivers car, and ONLY a drivers car, none of that compromise Porsche throws in so it can move more cars by appealing to 50 yo housewives.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:14 AM   #9
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Can you cite some examples? And if lit ooks as cheap and cheezy as the wickerbill shame on them. Specially if they ran to motortrend and said hey we just engineered this generic piece of plastic that makes the car faster.
Most recently... the GT3 RS 4.0. This was Porsche's flag-ship track car using the 997 chassis.

The canards are stuck on with double-sided tape. This particular model had carbon front fenders (they may have been optional) so the front flares are integrated, but lesser GT3 RS models (which seems like an oxymoron) had bolted on front fender flares...

Both cars have "tacked-on" looking splitters too. Track guys prefer this as it's considered a disposable piece.

I realize that you're talking about the wickerbill in particular, but if you can generate the required downforce with a spoiler/wicker bill combo... why not go with that? In all likelihood, a GT3-style wing on the back of a Camaro would generate an equal amount of criticism.

I think that fcman hit the nail on the head with his post. A Z/28 buyer who uses the car as GM intended, doesn't care about these things.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #10
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
I think maybe you just don't get this car or the people this car is meant for. It's meant be a no compromise, inexpensive track day car. It's for people like me who don't care what a car looks like or if there are some screws showing, as long as it's faster than a bat out of hell and fun to drive. I even almost appreciate how devil-may-care Chevy has been with this car, makes it even sweeter when you're out there hooning around and smoking 911s and GTRs on the track. Not that those cars aren't fantastic in there own right, but the Z/28 is meant to be a true drivers car, and ONLY a drivers car, none of that compromise Porsche throws in so it can move more cars by appealing to 50 yo housewives.
I get the car and got to see one in person at the last race I was at I was really impressed by it. I think I may have failed to make my point. The point I was trying to make was why not design the wing to give proper downforce? I don't get optional performance equipment to make a track ready car track ready.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #11
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Most recently... the GT3 RS 4.0. This was Porsche's flag-ship track car using the 997 chassis.

The canards are stuck on with double-sided tape. This particular model had carbon front fenders (they may have been optional) so the front flares are integrated, but lesser GT3 RS models (which seems like an oxymoron) had bolted on front fender flares...

Both cars have "tacked-on" looking splitters too. Track guys prefer this as it's considered a disposable piece.

I realize that you're talking about the wickerbill in particular, but if you can generate the required downforce with a spoiler/wicker bill combo... why not go with that? In all likelihood, a GT3-style wing on the back of a Camaro would generate an equal amount of criticism.

I think that fcman hit the nail on the head with his post. A Z/28 buyer who uses the car as GM intended, doesn't care about these things.
I get that and I think it's silly they are not bolted down but Randy's review stated the car was very loose without the wickerbill and pretty much stated you need this. Which means for track use it is necessary. Like I said in my previous comment I don't get optional equipment to make a track ready car, track ready.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #12
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

I agree. It looks cheezy as hell. Oddly enough it is my same complaint on the C7Z06....god that rear "spoiler" on that thing looks like its straight off aisle 6 at Pep Boys.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I get that and I think it's silly they are not bolted down but Randy's review stated the car was very loose without the wickerbill and pretty much stated you need this. Which means for track use it is necessary. Like I said in my previous comment I don't get optional equipment to make a track ready car, track ready.
The wicker bill is adjustable and removable. It is slotted were the bolts are. That is why it looks like that. Some owners remove the wicker bill on their Z06 for street driving, because it can impede visibility.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #14
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
The wicker bill is adjustable and removable. It is slotted were the bolts are. That is why it looks like that. Some owners remove the wicker bill on their Z06 for street driving, because it can impede visibility.
The wickerbill on the Z06 is adjustable on the Z28 it is fixed. I think the Z06 version looks like a more complete product. I still think the wickerbill should be a standard item on the Z28 since its whole purpose is a track ready car.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #15
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
The wickerbill on the Z06 is adjustable on the Z28 it is fixed. I think the Z06 version looks like a more complete product. I still think the wickerbill should be a standard item on the Z28 since its whole purpose is a track ready car.
Looking closer at the pics it does look different than the Z06, it is not slotted. But rather has two sets of holes, so I guess it is still some what adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #16
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
I have only seen these forsale 20% above MSRP not below. Besides I hate the camaro ergonomics and rear visibility. Love the way Z28 looks though.

Also I'm not a brand whore I own a GM vehicle and love it but cheezy is cheezy no matter what Brand. I called out BMW when there headrest fix was a generic hose clamp.
It was at the beginning of this year. They were selling the oldest inventory of vehicles for 20% off. Pretty much any car from GM.

Anyone who pays over MSRP is a total idiot when someone else is selling the exact same car for MSRP or under. But some people have money to burn.....

And yes, I hate the new Camaro. The inside is tacky (my 92 Camaro interior is better), blind spots everywhere, trunk has a small opening, stupid plastic piece from the drivers door to the dash to the passenger door (2SS model).....etc. Hopefully the 2016 is better but I highly doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #17
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Looking closer at the pics it does look different than the Z06, it is not slotted. But rather has two sets of holes, so I guess it is still some what adjustable.
The one I saw in person and the install directions show no adjustability but I thought the same thing at first.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 10:18 PM   #18
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
It was at the beginning of this year. They were selling the oldest inventory of vehicles for 20% off. Pretty much any car from GM.

Anyone who pays over MSRP is a total idiot when someone else is selling the exact same car for MSRP or under. But some people have money to burn.....

And yes, I hate the new Camaro. The inside is tacky (my 92 Camaro interior is better), blind spots everywhere, trunk has a small opening, stupid plastic piece from the drivers door to the dash to the passenger door (2SS model).....etc. Hopefully the 2016 is better but I highly doubt it.
I agree about paying over MSRP but because it is so limited they treat it as such. I would never pay over MSRP for any car there are to many good options out there.

I looked at buying a Z/28 but I couldn't get a test drive and I couldn't shake that camaro-ness of the car. Once the GT350 was announced that has got my attention that and the Focus RS.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #19
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Not a good comparison. The splitter on the Z/28 isn't even molded into the lower chin/dams at all. Porsche at least made SOME effort.

And it's still functional.

It's not like this car is only 20 grand. They need to put some more effort into it.
      04-09-2015, 07:30 AM   #20
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Not a good comparison. The splitter on the Z/28 isn't even molded into the lower chin/dams at all. Porsche at least made SOME effort.

And it's still functional.

It's not like this car is only 20 grand. They need to put some more effort into it.
Who am I to tell you how to spend your money, but the way I see it is... given the ASTRONOMICAL difference in pricing between the GT3 and the Z/28, I don't expect the same level of fit & finish between the two. Much like I don't expect the same level of fit & finish between a Honda civic and a BMW 328. Those cars have the same purpose as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #21
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It isn't necessary on every track under all conditions. Many of these down-force generating devices will have an adverse affect on top speed. So depending on the track layout, you might be sacrificing top speed for down-force. So while the wicker bill might have been a necessity for Randy on that particular day, on that particular track, that's hardly always the case.

This is the same reason why the pitch on Porsche GT3 wings is adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #22
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
It isn't necessary on every track under all conditions. Many of these down-force generating devices will have an adverse affect on top speed. So depending on the track layout, you might be sacrificing top speed for down-force. So while the wicker bill might have been a necessity for Randy on that particular day, on that particular track, that's hardly always the case.

This is the same reason why the pitch on Porsche GT3 wings is adjustable.
He said it made a difference starting at 40 mph so my guess is the wickerbill is going to be a necessity for most tracks. But I would like to point out the wickerbill is adjustable so I was incorrect on that. As far as using it on fast tracks it was used on the Nurburgring lap.
Appreciate 0