M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Tony Stewart

View Poll Results: Where does fault lie?
Criminal charges should be filed. Stewart is finished in racing. 30 11.15%
Should lose a lawsuit, but Stewart can salvage his career. 8 2.97%
Tragic accident, blame on both sides. 68 25.28%
Jeff Ward shouldn't have walked on the track. 163 60.59%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

08-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #133
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Not a whole lot else to add here. I too think Ward, unfortunately and posthumously, deserves much of the blame for leaving his vehicle (seems to be fairly standard "angry guy" race car antics that get the fans going and was never discouraged by NASCAR, therefore emulated elsewhere) and walking aggressively into harm's way. I also think it's likely that Tony tried scaring the guy and misread how quickly Ward was walking into his right rear tire. Horrible way for a guy to pay for a mistake, with his life.

I don't think anyone will press charges, but my understanding is that civil cases are easier to win than criminal cases. (I'm sure there are attorneys here that will chime in.) My hunch is that Tony will write a big, fat check behind the scenes to make this one go away...fast. I'll bet his attorneys are talking to Ward's family attorney(s) as we all post our thoughts. What's the number in a situation like this...$2M? $5M?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 03:26 AM   #134
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
Tyler Graves ? That's like asking Tony The Tiger about nutrition.
That's a poor source for a quote. Just my opinion and not commenting on who's at fault.
That's funny because at least the guy's a sprint car racer, which gives a lot more credibility vs everyone ITT.

Anyway, there is one key question I'd like to know the answer to: if Tony continued straight on and didn't blip the throttle, would Ward still get hit?

Last edited by tranquility; 08-19-2014 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #135
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Bah, cmon, a simple Google search reveals below. Btw, the quote is from Tyler Graves, a fellow sprint car racer. Ya, he's a friend of Ward's but he stated some pretty damning things in the 2nd link.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=%22I+...ckqoLxB7HAgYgI
http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/s...len-kevin-ward

Finally, who cares about 'reasonable doubt'? All the 10% or so in this poll are saying is that this is enough to warrant a serious investigation and criminal proceedings. To say that beyond a reasonable doubt Tony is guilty is up to the courts. The majority of you are saying (extremely dismissively) that 'Ward deserved it because he wandered onto the track, period' (read: Tony can almost even intentionally run Ward over/not take any precautionary maneuvers whatsover because Ward was stupid enough to walk on) is simply ridiculous.

We'll see.
Your source is Ward's friend in the stands? The one I posted was from a driver a couple of cars back, seems a lot more credible and a lot less bias.

Also, you want it to be investigated and it has since the time of the incident so I guess you are getting what you want. From your posts I wasn't seeing a neutral view. Point of "reasonable doubt" is I don't see this going anywhere criminally and we will be able to debate it until the end of time. Then Tony later gives them a huge amount of money and this all slowly goes away.
      08-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #136
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Your source is Ward's friend in the stands? The one I posted was from a driver a couple of cars back, seems a lot more credible and a lot less bias.

Also, you want it to be investigated and it has since the time of the incident so I guess you are getting what you want. From your posts I wasn't seeing a neutral view. Point of "reasonable doubt" is I don't see this going anywhere criminally and we will be able to debate it until the end of time. Then Tony later gives them a huge amount of money and this all slowly goes away.
No one has a neutral view, we all have opinions. Goes back to my question: would Tony have hit Ward if he didn't gas it?

Doesn't make sense that Tony presumably claims not to see him but supposedly was heading *right for Ward*, otherwise what's the excuse to hit the gas to supposedly move out of the way and try to avoid Ward, as Tony would claim to see him at the last moment? If you buy that, that would mean somehow Tony didn't see Ward when Ward was straight in front of Tony's path(!). In the video, it appears that Ward successfully jumped out of the path of Tony's vehicle, only to get sucked under when Tony hits the gas. Doesn't make logical sense otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:10 AM   #137
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Stewart is a hot head but Ward shouldn't have got out of his car. A little bit of both.
      09-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #138
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

TMZsports

The Ontario County Grand Jury in New York decided not to charge Stewart, after reviewing evidence from several accident reconstruction experts.

Oh and new development, Ward was smokin the Chronic prior to racing (real smart). Drug tests on the body produced proof Ward was under the influence of marijuana.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #139
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Good thing stewart didn't test positive for anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #140
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Tony was very, very lucky that they found marijuana in Wards system.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #141
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Good thing stewart didn't test positive for anything.
wasn't tested at all iirc
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #142
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Cannabis can be detected for months after using it just a few times. The fact that Ward tested positive means nothing. I would say that if he'd puffed out Just prior to getting into the race car, that might have affected things. OR, he could have smoked a week ago, which would have had Zero impact on anything related to his death. No one will really know now though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
TMZsports

The Ontario County Grand Jury in New York decided not to charge Stewart, after reviewing evidence from several accident reconstruction experts.

Oh and new development, Ward was smokin the Chronic prior to racing (real smart). Drug tests on the body produced proof Ward was under the influence of marijuana.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #143
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Cannabis can be detected for months after using it just a few times. The fact that Ward tested positive means nothing. I would say that if he'd puffed out Just prior to getting into the race car, that might have affected things. OR, he could have smoked a week ago, which would have had Zero impact on anything related to his death. No one will really know now though.
There is ways to detect the concentration levels of THC.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #144
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
LEGALIZE IT...
      09-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #145
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
There is ways to detect the concentration levels of THC.
Did they do it? All I read is they found it in his system and write it off as part of the cause.

Also, smoke 20 joints 2 days before race. The high wears off, two days later is the concentration in your system extremely elevated?
      09-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #146
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Did they do it? All I read is they found it in his system and write it off as part of the cause.

Also, smoke 20 joints 2 days before race. The high wears off, two days later is the concentration in your system extremely elevated?
They didn't release the exact levels. But the DA said, "the level of marijuana in Ward's system was high enough to impair judgment."

I am sure if a civil case is brought up. Public will learn exactly how high the levels of thc were in his system. But as with most celebrities, he will pay just to make it go away quicker. Even though he easily could win.
Appreciate 0