M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Mazda3 as 2nd vehicle

10-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
human
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: honda civic ex

Mazda3 as 2nd vehicle

I've been logging a lot of miles on my 330i since purchasing it in July '05 (24,000 so far). Also, it's not a great winter car, with the 162's & summer tires (I went with winter tires last year).

So, I'm thinking of getting a Mazda3, mainly for commuting, but also for the winters here in Chicago. As an added benefit, I'm hoping for good MPG's.

Does anyone have experience with the Mazda 3? My specific questions to you are:

- Is the 2.0 liter adequate, or do I need to go with the 2.3 liter?
- How is the automatic on this car? BMW's Steptronic is so good it may have spoiled me!
- Is this the best "low cost ride?" I have tested the Civic auto and manual, and I don't get much satisfaction at all from the drive. I have also driven Corollas, and they're ok, but I hear that the Mazda is much better.

I'll be going for a test drive later this week, but thought I'd ask your expert opinions as well. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
EdmBimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 35d

I don't mean to be rude, so please don't take this wrong:

But wouldn't you get better feedback in a Mazda3 forum? This is a BMW forum and the chance of someone actually owning one might be slim.

Just my .02 cents....
      10-19-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I don't know of the Mazda first-hand, but in the latest C&D tested the Mazdaspeed 3 which costs 24k, and they liked everything about it except the shifter. Even understeer was minimal, but with that much power there was torque steer (top speed was 155). I would imagine some of the underpinnings/feel would trickle down to the less costly models. But imho a test drive is worth a thousand articles and opinions...good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
JonMad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d SE;Mazda MX-5

Garage List
1990 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2005 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cars4lyfe
honestly, I can understand your mileage situation if you were leasing...why are you afraid to put miles on your current car? Resale value?

I only understand it if you get so many snow days that your 3 w/ snow tires is undrivable in the snow. I would suggest driving your 3 and upgrade your snow tires and make sure they're narrow and 17". I think you should be fine.
+1

Unless you go for a chunky 4wd thing, the 3 series with DSC/DTC* and snow tires for a few hundred $s can't be any worse than anything else in the snow surely? Plus when you get a bit of space you can have more fun than in a fwd Mazda

*That's not to turn this thread into a DSC/DTC debate Just pointing out that the electronics with help on the snow in addition to having snow tires. If only we got that much snow here to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
When I was test driving, I decided to try the Mazda 3 for the heck of it. I think it looks like a great car for the money. I tried a 5-door 3si or whatever -- as loaded as they get, with leather, nav, upgraded engine, 5MT, and the works -- and the price was still incredibly low.

I like the alloy wheels and the interior was very nice. I liked it better on the inside than the Mazdaspeed 6 that I also tested that day.

However, the drive was just so far below the class of cars where I was "really" looking, meaning the $35-45K sport sedans. When it comes to IS350 versus 330i versus C350 versus G35 versus TL etc., all the cars are different, but all are generally good drivers. The Mazda 3 is a significant, very noticeable step down. It drove a lot like my old Civic that I was getting rid of. No real accelleration, rubbery shifter, very light clutch, etc. The car felt light and tossable in the same way a Civic or Corolla does, but like those cars, the engine doesn't have much power to toss it around, anyway.

I realize it gets a ton of praise in the auto magazines, but I guess that's "compared to other cars in its class." It really doesn't compare to cars in the 330i's class at all. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but a car not much more expensive than the 3 -- the Jetta GLI -- does compare favorably with cars in that sport sedan class.

If I were looking at a Honda Civic versus a Mazda 3, I'd probably pick the 3. But if I were looking for a less expensive car as a backup to my 3er, I'd pick a Jetta GLI or a GTI or, if you want to go less expensive, a Rabbit.
      10-19-2006, 08:56 PM   #6
DILLIGAF
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 330i ZSP MT CA

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sometimes I think the same as you and consider the idea of getting a less expensive economical car to get around in when I dont want to take my BMW out of the garage. I recently took a 2006 Civic and a Mazda 3 Sport out for a test drive for my cousin who was looking for my opinion. Prior to gettting my 330 I was always a Honda/Acura guy but of the two you were comparing I would have went with the Mazda. But I agree with BK and would suggest looking at the new VW Rabbit too. I havent taken that one out yet for a test drive but I think its worth a look. But remember after driving your
E90 you can't expect the Mazda /Honda/ VW to compare.
      10-20-2006, 12:22 AM   #7
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

How about a Subaru Impreza, the lowest priced AWD in the market?

If I needed an extra car, I would look for something used. For about 14K-17K you can find a second hand WRX or an early model E46 325xi.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #8
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

if you're looking for a second, how about a cheap miata so at least it's a droptop, or solstice or skyy
Appreciate 0