M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos I just test drove the new Audi A4 2.0 and A3 2.0T with DSG

10-18-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
E90T
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

I just test drove the new Audi A4 2.0 and A3 2.0T with DSG

The DSG on the A3 was complete shit, I was expecting more of an SMG feel but it was not there. It felt the same or worse then the BMW Steptronic. It was lag city and the shifts where pretty slow. It felt clunky on the downshifts. The turbo didn't seem fast at all and lagged like shit. I rented a PT Cruiser Turbo on vacation last summer and it felt way Torquer (SP)

The 2.0T was a manual and I was much more impressed by it, but again it was lag city and didn't feel that fast. The Quatro was nice but nothing special compared to BMW's 50\50 weight distribution, I would honestly have to say the 325 I test drove without the sports package felt the same if not better. I really like the interior and externior but was not all that impressed with the car.

Now you're probably saying who does this BMW fanboy think he is? Well I'm wide open the trying everything before making a desision and I honestly have to say BMW > Audi in every fucking possible way.

PS I also took out a 335 coupe and that is honestly the best car I've ever driven.

And the fucking price of an Audi is astounding, and then you factor in the reliability I don't know why anyone in their right fucking mind would choose an Audi over a BMW.

Audi sucks, I can say this with confidence and merit having tested both varations of cars in the same class.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90T
The DSG on the A3 was complete shit, I was expecting more of an SMG feel but it was not there. It felt the same or worse then the BMW Steptronic. It was lag city and the shifts where pretty slow. It felt clunky on the downshifts. The turbo didn't seem fast at all and lagged like shit. I rented a PT Cruiser Turbo on vacation last summer and it felt way Torquer (SP)

The 2.0T was a manual and I was much more impressed by it, but again it was lag city and didn't feel that fast. The Quatro was nice but nothing special compared to BMW's 50\50 weight distribution, I would honestly have to say the 325 I test drove without the sports package felt the same if not better. I really like the interior and externior but was not all that impressed with the car.

Now you're probably saying who does this BMW fanboy think he is? Well I'm wide open the trying everything before making a desision and I honestly have to say BMW > Audi in every fucking possible way.

PS I also took out a 335 coupe and that is honestly the best car I've ever driven.

And the fucking price of an Audi is astounding, and then you factor in the reliability I don't know why anyone in their right fucking mind would choose an Audi over a BMW.

Audi sucks, I can say this with confidence and merit having tested both varations of cars in the same class.
I 100% agree with you!

I drove the 330xi, Audi A4 3.2 Quattro and X3 M-sport edition all back-to-back on the same track and the Audi was truly dissappointing. The Audi is soooooooo nose-heavy it is not even funny. The 330xi is way out of the Audi's league and I even felt more confidence and better balance in the X3 than I did in the Audi. I hate SUV's and I would pick the X3 in terms of the A4!

Anyway, I agree. WHY WOULD ANYONE BOTHER WITH AUDI WHEN BMW EXISTS?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
gerapau
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

E90T - your colorful use of the English language will probably get your post removed. That said, before buying my E90 I also test drove the A3 and A4. I felt the dsg in the A3 was actually quite good. It was one of the only cars that I seriously thought I liked the auto better than the manual. The gear changes were very fast on the car I tested and the car felt quick enough (sure it isn't 335 fast but it only has 200hp so what do you expect). I especially liked the downshifting where the dsg would actually blip the throttle while changing gears. I am not quite sure how the dsg will hold up over time though.

The A4 didn't really interest me. I liked the A3 more and the two were basically the same size inside. I liked the interior of the A4 better than the A3 though and both Audis had nicer interiors than my E90. I like the E90's exterior better than the Audis' though.

Overall I am not quite sure that I think the E90s have quite as big an advantage over the Audi offerings as you may feel (but I did end up buying the E90 ).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
E394KEN
M3//4KEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i (Woosh!)

Wow, Audi no es Bueno except for the RS4. I like that one.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
krazykanuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 IS300

Garage List
2004 IS300  [0.00]
2004 IS300  [0.00]
You have some strong opinions on Audis...

I really like the A4/S4, both for looks and quattro. I think their interiors are nicer then the E90, but power wise they are a little low, and gas mileage sucks on the S4.

I really liked the manual on the A3, but I can't see myself buying that car. I want to drive a manual in the E92 now to compare.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
E90T
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E394KEN
RS4 is amazing, but once the new M3 is out it will be game over.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #7
E90T
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau
E90T - your colorful use of the English language will probably get your post removed. That said, before buying my E90 I also test drove the A3 and A4. I felt the dsg in the A3 was actually quite good. It was one of the only cars that I seriously thought I liked the auto better than the manual. The gear changes were very fast on the car I tested and the car felt quick enough (sure it isn't 335 fast but it only has 200hp so what do you expect). I especially liked the downshifting where the dsg would actually blip the throttle while changing gears. I am not quite sure how the dsg will hold up over time though.

The A4 didn't really interest me. I liked the A3 more and the two were basically the same size inside. I liked the interior of the A4 better than the A3 though and both Audis had nicer interiors than my E90. I like the E90's exterior better than the Audis' though.

Overall I am not quite sure that I think the E90s have quite as big an advantage over the Audi offerings as you may feel (but I did end up buying the E90 ).
sorry, didn't know people where offended by swearing on this board?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Been through the same track in TO. I have saved A4 for the end. I knew that BMW handling is superior, but that Audi almost felt as it was sabotaged. It felt more like a heavy SUV compared to bimmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3
I 100% agree with you!

I drove the 330xi, Audi A4 3.2 Quattro and X3 M-sport edition all back-to-back on the same track and the Audi was truly dissappointing. The Audi is soooooooo nose-heavy it is not even funny. The 330xi is way out of the Audi's league and I even felt more confidence and better balance in the X3 than I did in the Audi. I hate SUV's and I would pick the X3 in terms of the A4!

Anyway, I agree. WHY WOULD ANYONE BOTHER WITH AUDI WHEN BMW EXISTS?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
citkane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I donīt like they way the doors on the Audis are mounted (opening/closing in steps), plus they feel cheap. On top of that, the sound of the doors closing is what you would expect from a compact class Japanese car.
I owned an A3 1.8T (1999 model) and in retrospect I hated the car. I could rant all night about the things that were wrong with that vehicle.
Also I cannot understand how people value the interiour on the Audis. To me every Audi below the A8 looks and feels very cheap from the inside. Just sit in a current Volkswagen as a comparison, itīs basically the same thing, with maybe even a significant edge for the VW.
Having said that, the E60 interiour is on the cheap side as well, E90/E92 is ever so much better in that regard (E46 none the less).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #10
citkane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90T
sorry, didn't know people where offended by swearing on this board?
Beats me why some people have such a problem with colorful language. Itīs up to everyone whether to use it or not, I usually wonīt in a forum like this, but I would have to say it does stress the point the OP made. So the f-word was sort of helpful in a way
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #11
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinderŪ surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

I vote this thread for having the most number of fucks award
      10-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #12
enwhykiid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 titanium 330XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by E394KEN
cant forget the new r8
      10-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
troll
      10-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #14
citkane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwhykiid
cant forget the new r8
Yeah the car looks nice, from the outside :-)
But they should have done way better with the engine, a V8 , come on.
For what it has to offer, the R8 is way to expensive as well.
Wouldnīt be much of a surprise me if the 2008 M3 would out-perform it in every regard. And thatīs not something Audi would want to happen to their "super sports car".
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #15
krazykanuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 IS300

Garage List
2004 IS300  [0.00]
2004 IS300  [0.00]
Audi always seems to be a day late and a dollar short, or just gets passed by other companies.

Lets see...

S4 being outperformed by 335i (by a lot) and IS350 (by a bit)
Last lux car company to bring out SUV
Last company to have a range topping sports car (I'd debate whether or not the 6 would be BMWs, I want to say the Z8 but that went out of production)
The super dated TT. Enough said...

I have to give them credit for their innovative use of diesels, especially in the R10. Maybe if they spent less time developing those, they could have better built up their line up.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who doesn't like the R8 but whatever. Different strokes for different folks. I'm not saying their cars are BAD because I don't think they are, but they're not at the top of their game.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 05:15 PM   #16
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M6 coupe

I think its ok to swear on this forum as long as your not swearing at someone.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #17
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

i also test drove the a3 and a4 before buying my 325i.

a3: test drove a 2.0T dsg. i thought it shifted well. wasn't exactly fast, but felt peppy. thought it drove fairly well too. like the looks. however, it was small, very little room in the rear seat, and kinda expensive for what it is.

a4: test drove a 2.0T quattro. drove well too. the exterior is nice and i agree that i like the interior better than the e90. also agree, that after you add the options you want, it becomes a very expensive car.

comparing the a4 to the e90: felt the e90 was a better overall value and the exterior looks better than the a4. e90 drove better and had a better feel. lastly, i thought about all the problems my friend has had with his b6 a4. b7 a4 is not much different from the b6 a4. so in the end, my opinion was the e90 would be a much better car for me.
      10-18-2006, 07:42 PM   #18
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Audi always seems to be a day late and a dollar short, or just gets passed by other companies.

Lets see...

S4 being outperformed by 335i (by a lot) and IS350 (by a bit)
Last lux car company to bring out SUV
Last company to have a range topping sports car (I'd debate whether or not the 6 would be BMWs, I want to say the Z8 but that went out of production)
The super dated TT. Enough said...

I have to give them credit for their innovative use of diesels, especially in the R10. Maybe if they spent less time developing those, they could have better built up their line up.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who doesn't like the R8 but whatever. Different strokes for different folks. I'm not saying their cars are BAD because I don't think they are, but they're not at the top of their game.
Umm the as yet unreleased V8 M3 will ber a RESPONSE to the hot selling on the market Audi RS4. Take the rose tinted glasses off hmmm?
      10-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #19
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
I vote this thread for having the most number of fucks award
I don't know, there are some other threads that have a lot of fucks in them if you know what I mean...

But as for actual quantity of the word fuck, I agree.

On that note, I had a 2000 Audi A4 1.8Turbo Quattro. Fun fucking car to drive. Small, agile, and a lot of torque for a car that size. When I was test driving for new cars, I drove the new A4 2.0T. Piece of fucking shit... And I was really sick of the reliability problems... So yeah BMW... fuck yeah!!!

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 08:42 PM   #20
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i want an A3. so much you can do to it...

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0