M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Software update - defensive moves?

02-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #1
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Software update - defensive moves?

Two questions about the mega-software update (Nov. 2019 or I think I've seen references to an even newer update) that I'm not likely to avoid when I bring in the car for service next month:

1. Anything good in there? Any new features or Easter eggs?

2. Regarding the update's evil feature of wiping out all settings, a previous iDrive version had a function that allowed the owner to save and then export/import personal settings. I can't find anything like that in iDrive 7. Anyone see it or have any ideas?
- Retired: Three Lexuses.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 02-25-2020 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

not sure that exists any more. Also mine had it already so I cannot attest to what happens with settings but in the past it did not erase my settings. It will erase any coding that goes against BMW USA settings however...

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
The November versions (if 11 stands for Nov.) all appear not to be OTA updates and must be performed at the dealer. Everyone here mentioned that the update wiped a number of settings. Noushy I believe is an exception as the software was factory installed, not an update.

The SA at our dealer stated that some of these updates have been flawed and bricked a number of ECU's. So they will not install those until the March update that is supposed to be coming and will resolve all that.

The March update will also be a shop update, afterwards supposedly OTA. Who knows how much of this is true but I will wait a bit longer before having the car coded...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Mine was recently updated at the workshop and it removed quite a few settings. I would ask when/if yours is updated to backup your settings and see if it's even possible.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #5
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Mine still called for an OTA update a few weeks ago and it went perfectly at home. The app even knew it was happening and informed me when done. Not sure what it did, the charging works a bit better.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #6
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Mine still called for an OTA update a few weeks ago and it went perfectly at home. The app even knew it was happening and informed me when done. Not sure what it did, the charging works a bit better.

Noushy
I had done the in-vehicle first which it needed, but the workshop version was also needed

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #7
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Quote:

Noushy
I had done the in-vehicle first which it needed, but the workshop version was also needed
Interesting mine didnt call for it till after the dealership and my x3m had to be updated at the dealership would not read from USB drive
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:34 PM   #8
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting mine didnt call for it till after the dealership and my x3m had to be updated at the dealership would not read from USB drive
that's a bit bazar, I haven't checked mine to see if yet another in-vehicle u/d is needed, did you get any type of in vehicle notification?

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Two questions about the mega-software update (Nov. 2019 or I think I've seen references to an even newer update) that I'm not likely to avoid when I bring in the car for service next month:

2. Regarding the update's evil feature of wiping out all settings, a previous iDrive version had a function that allowed the owner to save and then export/import personal settings. I can't find anything like that in iDrive 7. Anyone see it or have any ideas?
Quote:

Regardless: to answer your questions: 1. No, not that I've found.

2. No, I don't think it's possible.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2020, 06:56 PM   #10
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:

1. Nope. At least nothing I've been able to find. Only bad things, like reduced headlight functionality and reduced camera functionality.

2. Nor could I. Sigh.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #11
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Quote:
that's a bit bazar, I haven't checked mine to see if yet another in-vehicle u/d is needed, did you get any type of in vehicle notification?
Yes the app indicated it was ready to be installed.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:06 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

Noushy
Out of curiosity did that take you to 11/2019.55 which is what I now have after the dealer installed update from my original factory build? If so it may lead some credence to the theory that OTA is for point releases vs full base releases, e.g., the upcoming March 03/2020.xx that we've been told is coming and dealer only for install.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

In regards to #1 Tesla owns the market on Easter eggs in their software, e.g., whoopee cushion fart sounds on demand.

As for #2 there is no way to do so in iDrive 7 and I believe it is that they haven't fully baked in the Connected App driver profile aspect that is obviously a MVP (minimal viable product) release at this point. I would expect it to eventually match Apple/Android profile management that saves all settings to the "Cloud".

As for the 11/2019.55 update just installed on my M850i it wiped out most custom settings and took everything back to factory, e.g., car settings, home screen widgets, etc. I didn't have any custom coding but I'm sure that will be wiped out as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:26 PM   #14
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
In regards to #1 Tesla owns the market on Easter eggs in their software, e.g., whoopee cushion fart sounds on demand.

As for #2 there is no way to do so in iDrive 7 and I believe it is that they haven't fully baked in the Connected App driver profile aspect that is obviously a MVP (minimal viable product) release at this point. I would expect it to eventually match Apple/Android profile management that saves all settings to the "Cloud".

As for the 11/2019.55 update just installed on my M850i it wiped out most custom settings and took everything back to factory, e.g., car settings, home screen widgets, etc. I didn't have any custom coding but I'm sure that will be wiped out as well.
I found the same. Profile Export/Import is gone (nor was there any bridging technology between the old and the new... another F'U' from BMW). However, my profile is sync'd to their cloud. What I don't yet know is if I can get a new vehicle to ingest it and act on it accordingly... gimme a week and I'll no doubt be posting my angry FFS BMW response... again.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:49 PM   #15
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I found the same. Profile Export/Import is gone (nor was there any bridging technology between the old and the new... another F'U' from BMW). However, my profile is sync'd to their cloud. What I don't yet know is if I can get a new vehicle to ingest it and act on it accordingly... gimme a week and I'll no doubt be posting my angry FFS BMW response... again.
Prepare to be angry as the Connected Drive profile sync to the BMW cloud did not even make a difference with the same car's iDrive major software update. Wiped it all out including seating settings. The only thing it knew to do is to display the "welcome" profile page when getting in the car recognizing my key and the Cloud.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 10:12 PM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Prepare to be angry as the Connected Drive profile sync to the BMW cloud did not even make a difference with the same car's iDrive major software update. Wiped it all out including seating settings. The only thing it knew to do is to display the "welcome" profile page when getting in the car recognizing my key and the Cloud.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #17
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Major features not working is unacceptable, however wiping car settings to do a software update is sort of coding 101 stuff. Seat settings is not even an option in connected drive

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 04:10 PM   #18
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

As the OP, everything I'm reading here is ticking me off. At the very least, I'm going to wait until the last possible minute/mile to bring my car in for routine service and the inevitable software update. Maybe by then, BMW will hire one capable coder.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #19
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As the OP, everything I'm reading here is ticking me off. At the very least, I'm going to wait until the last possible minute/mile to bring my car in for routine service and the inevitable software update. Maybe by then, BMW will hire one capable coder.
Quote:

it's a common complaint of modern BMW and Mercedes owners alike. you're going to get wiped and it's going to happen every time you're in for service.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 12:03 AM   #20
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
it's a common complaint of modern BMW and Mercedes owners alike. you're going to get wiped and it's going to happen every time you're in for service.
To your point this issue is not solely a BMW issue as at least Mercedes is guilty as well. My issue is this is not a hard nut to crack in today's connected world. I've used Apple and Android as examples of the owner's entire configuration stored in the cloud so when software updates are done nothing is lost. In my last job I drove the same mantra into all of our smart home products so I know what it takes to deliver it. My issue is that this is just pure laziness on the part of BMW and any other car manufacture that does not deliver it.

That said I'll give BMW and anyone else a pass on custom coding done as it is not part of the "approved" configurations for the endpoint. However, last time I checked my driver seat settings, iDrive home screen, etc. are definitely standard configurations. Kudos to BMW as at least they didn't wipe out my media preset choices.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2020, 01:12 AM   #21
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
To your point this issue is not solely a BMW issue as at least Mercedes is guilty as well. My issue is this is not a hard nut to crack in today's connected world. I've used Apple and Android as examples of the owner's entire configuration stored in the cloud so when software updates are done nothing is lost. In my last job I drove the same mantra into all of our smart home products so I know what it takes to deliver it. My issue is that this is just pure laziness on the part of BMW and any other car manufacture that does not deliver it.

That said I'll give BMW and anyone else a pass on custom coding done as it is not part of the "approved" configurations for the endpoint. However, last time I checked my driver seat settings, iDrive home screen, etc. are definitely standard configurations. Kudos to BMW as at least they didn't wipe out my media preset choices.
I agree they should be able to do it. but then again, they should be able to OTA too.
I don't know why they do it, but I'm sure there is a reason. I'd like to think it's not "because it's cheaper ", but maybe that's why.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #22
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
I agree they should be able to do it. but then again, they should be able to OTA too.
I don't know why they do it, but I'm sure there is a reason. I'd like to think it's not "because it's cheaper ", but maybe that's why.
Agreed. All these software updates are supposed to be OTA but became shop updates when the update bricked a bunch of cars ECU’s (at least according to our SA)
So that would be poor coding as well.
Appreciate 1