M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion First Ding In the M850i (3D View Parking Failure)

02-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #1
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
First Ding In the M850i (3D View Parking Failure)

I was running late for a meeting with Microsoft in their corporate office here in Phoenix. On arrival I found myself in a parking garage and headed to a top floor to find some open parking. As in most parking garages, there were spaces with the half-wall dividing some as part of the support in the physical structure of the building. So my plan was to park with the passenger side hugging the half-wall to the right of the space leaving plenty of room on the left to avoid door dings.

Having done this many times in my wife's X5 with the 3D View camera system figured it wouldn't be a problem in the M850i. In hindsight there are a couple of factors in play in the X5 that are different from the M850i. On top of that throw in the fact I was rushing due to being late and it was a recipe for disaster.

The first factor difference is seat height and visibility. In the X5 from the driver's seat the sight line to the passenger side front fender is 2x easy vs the low seating position and sight line for the same in the M850i. Also, the sensor in the X5 at that position is flush with the bumper but the M850i's is recessed. Not sure if the PDC component of the 3D View in the M850i compensates for that but I'm willing to bet that it doesn't.

The end result is I hit the passenger side front bumper "flare" but thankfully I was going so slow it is minor damage. In fact the PPF took the brunt of the damage and the paint transfer (white wall). After removing the paint transfer from the PPF I can feel some abrasion in the plastic of the bumper but with any luck new PPF on the front bumper and it will not even be noticeable. The damage in the pic is mostly the frayed PPF.

Still completely bummed and feel like an idiot as just could have chosen an open spot with plenty of free spaces around it and hoped for the best on the door ding aspect which likely was the better option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-13-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

That sux, but at least it's minor and can easily be repaired. Find out who your dealership uses for these kinds of minor scuffs, as it doesn't have to go to the body shop and they can come to you.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 02-13-2020 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
That sux, but at least it's minor and can easily be repaired. Find out who your dealership uses for these kinds of minor scuffs, as it doesn't have to go to the body shop and they can come to you.
Thanks for the advice. Going to start first with the detailer and once the PPF removed assess any real damage to determine if I need to take action on the scuff or just redo the PPF (and ceramic coating).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
bloozemanAZ I am so you. That is exactly the sort of thing I do. It drives my wife nuts as we drive around car parks trying to locate the 'no ding spot' as I call it. It is an awful feeling that first ding. I will be super careful with 3D view!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
bloozemanAZ I am so you. That is exactly the sort of thing I do. It drives my wife nuts as we drive around car parks trying to locate the 'no ding spot' as I call it. It is an awful feeling that first ding. I will be super careful with 3D view!
Know that wife scenario all too well. Late last month was my wife's birthday so I booked a reservation at a romantic restaurant and of course that evening she asked if we were going to take the M850i (she's rarely been in it) and my answer was "yes". I also then stated I'm going to drop her off and park the car out in space (long walking distance but no door dings) and will get the car when we leave and pick her up at the front of the restaurant.

As we approach the restaurant, my wife calls out that they have valet service (I already knew that) and states that is what we should do. I remind her of what I told her and drop her off (no way I'm letting some 16 year old kid drive the car). As I'm dropping her off there is a parking space near the front of the restaurant and she calls out that I can just park there. Once again I reminded her that I'm parking out in space and will do all the walking.

I expect this situation to play out numerous times in the future but I'll just not be going after half wall parking spaces any more within a parking garage. I learned my lesson today on that and will not repeat in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

All of this thread is SO me.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:03 PM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

it's one of the biggest fears I have about using the auto park feature. I used it with the genius session when I got the m850i, but haven't used it since.

like you guys, I always try to park far away, but it's not always possible. my m850i is still mint, but I have a full size SUV where I have the SAME damage to the same front fender from parking and hitting a white post.

I've always driven small cars, and my first year in a big SUV. I'm having the same " 'mirror' " camera image problem as you.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:11 AM   #8
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

We try to be extra judicious as well and park far away from others, always take an end space and never those that are next to a potential drivers door especially. We don't fully trust these cameras, and if we're not sure when parking we get out and look (wifey is totally cool with it and doesn't want dings/damage either). We both have found the cameras and sensors on our Audi and MB's to be better than this system and therefore we just don't trust it. It would also be nice if the 3d view app worked so we can keep an eye of the car when it's parked away from home, but we can't count on it either.

Appreciate 2
      02-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

bloozemanAZ, as disappointing as these incidents are, your car will be as good as new after spending a couple of days at a reputable body shop. Just enjoy it! You have an awesome car.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
We try to be extra judicious as well and park far away from others, always take an end space and never those that are next to a potential drivers door especially. We don't fully trust these cameras, and if we're not sure when parking we get out and look (wifey is totally cool with it and doesn't want dings/damage either). We both have found the cameras and sensors on our Audi and MB's to be better than this system and therefore we just don't trust it. It would also be nice if the 3d view app worked so we can keep an eye of the car when it's parked away from home, but we can't count on it either.
I am no longer going to trust the 3D View cameras and PDC sensors either except my normal process in my reserved parking spot at work. For that I trigger the parking cameras/PDC manually and pull into my spot using the 3D view to keep me to the right (guy next to me backs in so he exits the other side) and plenty of space to the car on the right.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:13 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
bloozemanAZ, as disappointing as these incidents are, your car will be as good as new after spending a couple of days at a reputable body shop. Just enjoy it! You have an awesome car.
Thanks and much appreciated. I'm going to make an appointment at my detailer next week so they can remove the PPF from that section of the front-end so we can fully assess the damage (if any). Depending on the answer it may just be having the detailer redo the PPF on the section and ceramic coating. If not I'll pick up the car and figure out the auto body shop aspect.

In the case that I need an auto body shop I will truly appreciate if others in the Phoenix AZ area have any recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #12
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I am no longer going to trust the 3D View cameras and PDC sensors either except my normal process in my reserved parking spot at work. For that I trigger the parking cameras/PDC manually and pull into my spot using the 3D view to keep me to the right (guy next to me backs in so he exits the other side) and plenty of space to the car on the right.
The "good" thing about your damage is it's all on the front cap which is easy to remove and you can have the whole thing repaired and repainted or replaced, if you decide not to have their mobile guy do it. With respect to the mobile guys some are amazing and you'll near never know the damage was there, and others like anything else are not so good. But your SA should know who's the best and who they use for their new high end vehicles. More "good" news, you did this to the car, not some collateral damage done by the dealer (like in my case) which upsets me far more than if I did it. Hope this helps.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The "good" thing about your damage is it's all on the front cap which is easy to remove and you can have the whole thing repaired and repainted or replaced, if you decide not to have their mobile guy do it. With respect to the mobile guys some are amazing and you'll near never know the damage was there, and others like anything else are not so good. But your SA should know who's the best and who they use for their new high end vehicles. More "good" news, you did this to the car, not some collateral damage done by the dealer (like in my case) which upsets me far more than if I did it. Hope this helps.
Agree on the stupidity act on my end vs your situation in which the dealer did some collateral damage. That would make me more upset as well. I recently had the wife's X5 in the dealer's body shop for some minor damage ironically on the front bumper as well.

In that case I was driving it with the wife in the car and a rubber/plastic 20 gallon trash can literally flew into the our lane (carpool on far left side) from over the retaining wall (assuming landscaping service, etc. truck going the opposite direction). I was able to swerve enough to make it a minor impact but it still took out some of the plastic trim in the "air scoop" section of the bumper and the reflector.

The body shop does great work as it is part of the Penske Automotive Group so it services all of their dealers in Scottsdale (Audi, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Buggati, Jaguar, Mercedes, Lambo, etc.). Will try there first if there is indeed any true damage on the options. If they say their only option is to replace the bumper then I'll ask for their recommendation for repair and go from there.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 02-14-2020 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2020, 11:36 PM   #14
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
For everyone on this parking OCD thread, one of the other things I have been trying to figure out is the mindset of other drivers when parking their cars. I shall call these the non-OCD.

On the weekends I normally do the cooking and the food shopping. As the supermarket I like to shop at opens at 7am, I am normally there by 7:30am as it is relatively quiet. The outdoor parking lot is huge, however Australia does not regulate the size of car parking bays, so our bays are quite narrow.

So in a parking lot the size of a football field plus, my car will be parked on its own in the middle of nowhere a long long way from the entrance. In doing this I immediately eliminate elderly drivers (hi mum and dad), parents with very young children and accompanying child moving equipment and the very very dangerous group - people in a hurry.

That said, every now and then I will exit from doing the shopping, and there will be another car parked next to mine. At this point I normally quote John McEnroe 'you cannot be serious', loudly enough for anyone to know what I am talking about. Being from the OCD set, I go deep, thinking what could possibly possess somebody to choose the bay next to my car when there are another 458 bays to choose from, almost all of them closer to the shops? I mean are they people who live on their own, longing for company, so they park next to me hoping to strike up a conversation should our paths cross? Are they embarrassed about their car and want to park it next to a really great car to feel better? Are they the supremely jealous type and can't wait to pull in beside me, and knowing I am not in my car, gently whack my passengers door with their drivers door, and then in an innocuous manner slide their non-disposal shopping bags along the full length of my car as they pass by?

So puzzled have I become about the non-OCD set, I've started asking people why. It's not always possible, but every now and then, I will see Mr or Mrs non-OCD commence the long walk towards two cars in the middle of nowhere. I hastily sidle up to them making small talk, and then in a very polite manner I just ask them - 'why did you park next to me when there are so many other free bays'?. The answers will astonish you from, 'just trying to park in an orderly manner', 'your car looks great I've not seen that model before and wanted to take a closer look', 'I don't know my car just found its way there' and 'I just wanted to keep you company'.

Which all leads me to conclude, there are people like 'us'....and there is everyone else.
Appreciate 3
WCH347.00
      02-14-2020, 11:41 PM   #15
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Non-OCD lol
The best is the old lady who uses both feet to push her door open as it bounces off the car parked next to it.
Do you know what the biggest problem with people is? ~~~
People!

Last edited by RJC-1; 02-18-2020 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #16
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
For everyone on this parking OCD thread, one of the other things I have been trying to figure out is the mindset of other drivers when parking their cars. I shall call these the non-OCD.

On the weekends I normally do the cooking and the food shopping. As the supermarket I like to shop at opens at 7am, I am normally there by 7:30am as it is relatively quiet. The outdoor parking lot is huge, however Australia does not regulate the size of car parking bays, so our bays are quite narrow.

So in a parking lot the size of a football field plus, my car will be parked on its own in the middle of nowhere a long long way from the entrance. In doing this I immediately eliminate elderly drivers (hi mum and dad), parents with very young children and accompanying child moving equipment and the very very dangerous group - people in a hurry.

That said, every now and then I will exit from doing the shopping, and there will be another car parked next to mine. At this point I normally quote John McEnroe 'you cannot be serious', loudly enough for anyone to know what I am talking about. Being from the OCD set, I go deep, thinking what could possibly possess somebody to choose the bay next to my car when there are another 458 bays to choose from, almost all of them closer to the shops? I mean are they people who live on their own, longing for company, so they park next to me hoping to strike up a conversation should our paths cross? Are they embarrassed about their car and want to park it next to a really great car to feel better? Are they the supremely jealous type and can't wait to pull in beside me, and knowing I am not in my car, gently whack my passengers door with their drivers door, and then in an innocuous manner slide their non-disposal shopping bags along the full length of my car as they pass by?

So puzzled have I become about the non-OCD set, I've started asking people why. It's not always possible, but every now and then, I will see Mr or Mrs non-OCD commence the long walk towards two cars in the middle of nowhere. I hastily sidle up to them making small talk, and then in a very polite manner I just ask them - 'why did you park next to me when there are so many other free bays'?. The answers will astonish you from, 'just trying to park in an orderly manner', 'your car looks great I've not seen that model before and wanted to take a closer look', 'I don't know my car just found its way there' and 'I just wanted to keep you company'.

Which all leads me to conclude, there are people like 'us'....and there is everyone else.
Great description of the issues! We've all experienced the "parking next to me for no good reason" as well as the self-inflicted scrape. Hard to believe that it doesn't bother (most) other people.

My mother lives with us and I had to recently take the keys to her car (Lexus RX350) away from her because she hit curbs on two occasions in 4 months hard enough to create a 2" X 2" hole in the sidewall. Her car has scrapes all over it - hopefully I have removed one more source of door dings for others...

Last edited by WCH; 02-15-2020 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 2
Al Pină1838.50
      02-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #17
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You only live once. You need to live and enjoy it while you can. Bumps are just par for the course.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      02-18-2020, 05:25 PM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Update after visiting the detailer today. Bad news is although the PPF protected the car for the most part there is a small scrape into the plastic of the bumper. Take off the PPF and it will not be noticeable whatsoever unless you absolutely know what to look for.

However, I obviously want the PPF to protect from rock chips, etc. (never thought it would be doing so from a self-inflected wound). Catch-22 is if I just replace the PPF on the bumper (and redo the ceramic coating) it will look like an air bubble and hence stand out. The detailer provided contact info for a body shop they recommend clients to for this type of situation. Best scenario is they can mend the scrape and blend the paint so it looks factory flawless. Worst case scenario is they mend the scrape and then paint the entire bumper.

For the latter this is now the first time I'm wishing I didn't go Individual on the paint vs a standard white or black which would have been easier to deal with. Does anybody on the forum have any auto body shop recommendations in the Phoenix area? I'd like to get at least one or two opinions on the situation if at all possible.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 02-18-2020 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #19
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Update after visiting the detailer today. Bad news is although the PPF protected the car for the most part there is a small scrape into the plastic of the bumper. Take off the PPF and it will not be noticeable whatsoever unless you absolutely know what to look for.

However, I obviously want the PPF to protect from rock chips, etc. (never thought it would be doing so from a self-inflected wound). Catch-22 is if I just replace the PPF on the bumper (and redo the ceramic coating) it will look like an air bubble and hence stand out. The detailer provided contact info for a body shop they recommend clients to for this type of situation. Best scenario is they can mend the scrape and blend the paint so it looks factory flawless. Worst case scenario is they mend the paint and then paint the entire bumper.

For the latter this is now the first time I'm wishing I didn't go Individual on the paint vs a standard white or black which would have been easier to deal with. Does anybody on the forum have any auto body shop recommendations in the Phoenix area? I'd like to get at least one or two opinions on the situation if at all possible.
@bloozemanAZ sorry to hear that. I can't quite remember what color is your m850i tanzanite blue?

in any event, is it possible to maybe just cut out just that one part of the film? or would it look weird with a small gap?

my father in law is in Phoenix az, I can ask him for recommendations if needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #20
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Latest update. Had some time to take the M850i to the Penske Automotive collision center this morning. Bottom line is for them to do the work I'm looking at about $1600 as the quote is written plus a bit more if the cameras need re-calibrating after the bumper is removed. All in that is not too bad and I'm leaning in the direction given that shop services A to Z for the Penske auto dealers in the area. Well not quite A to Z but A in Audi and likely ending in P with Porsche but have Bentley, Lambo and Maserati in the middle.

Other considerations are they did a great job on my wife's X5 repairs and appreciate their eye for detail. Case-in-point the guy providing the estimate started to include the PPF replacement and I said I'll take care of that with the original installer. He started to say they have the same materials, etc. but when I pointed out if he could find a PPF seam anywhere on the bumper in which he replied "no" and added their guys can't do that. So he then adds (given the work is done at a remote location about 20 miles away) normally we drive the cars up here for pickup but in this case we'll flat bed it to ensure no damage from rock chips, etc. happen in the process.

Lastly but in no way a deciding factor on whom does the work he repeatedly stated what a gorgeous car the M850i is and how stellar the Tanzanite Blue exterior color is. He asked if I custom ordered it, etc. When he opened the door to get the VIN and saw the Fiona Red/Black once again he stated gorgeous. This is a guy that sees the proverbial aforementioned A to Z so besides I'm still kicking myself for the parking faux pas it just cemented the fact I made the overall choice with the M850i and my custom order.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 02-20-2020 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 4
      02-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
@bloozemanAZ sorry to hear that. I can't quite remember what color is your m850i tanzanite blue?

in any event, is it possible to maybe just cut out just that one part of the film? or would it look weird with a small gap?

my father in law is in Phoenix az, I can ask him for recommendations if needed.
Resjudicata I definitely will appreciate if your father in law has a recommendation. I'm trying to get at least 2 if not 3 perspectives on how to handle the situation. Left a message with the guy my detailer recommended but still waiting to hear back and connect with him on an estimate.
Appreciate 1