M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Turning off car- interior led lights on still

02-11-2020, 12:06 AM   #1
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Turning off car- interior led lights on still

So I usually donít lock my car when itís parked in the garage. I have been trying to figure out the best way to turn off the car. Might sound silly but the car sometimes completely shuts off with no issues and sometimes feels shutoff but interior led and music continues playing for awhile before shutting off.
Like 20 mins before it shuts down. Figure thatís not good for the battery.
Also feels like car play might causing the issue

Anybody else experiencing the same
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:24 AM   #2
Ozzie8
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 m850i Coupe

Ehloo - yes I have noticed this too. If I drive into my garage, hit the engine off button and then exit the vehicle within a relatively short period of time, everything immediately shuts off. If I hit the engine off button and then remain in the vehicle on a phone call and listen to the end of a music track, then upon exiting the vehicle everything remains on as you point out.

In the settings I have selected auto lock the vehicle after walking away, so as soon as my car remote is far enough away it auto locks and shuts everything down.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:26 AM   #3
Wolfman64
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Ours is set to automatically lock/unlock based on proximity. So it just locks in the garage when I am a few feet away.
That turns off the the car right away (minus the dash cam)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:47 AM   #4
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

I usually leave all my stuff in the car including my keys. Hoping I was doing something wrong

Crud. Always feels like I forgot to turn off the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Ours is set to automatically lock/unlock based on proximity. So it just locks in the garage when I am a few feet away.
That turns off the the car right away (minus the dash cam)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:02 AM   #5
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
I usually leave all my stuff in the car including my keys. Hoping I was doing something wrong

Crud. Always feels like I forgot to turn off the car
My guess would be that leaving the key inside the car is the cause.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
r33_RGSport
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997.1 C4S / F39 X2 / F97 X3MC

The newer BMW since G Chassis, you will need to wait a second after turning off the engine to open the door to have everything shut-off.
If you open the door to fast, iDrive system will stays on for 20-30 minutes.
And since you have left a key inside the car, that's what causing the light to stays on.

If that happened, you need to close and open the door (driver side) or press and hold the volume button to turn off the iDrive system.
      02-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #7
Resjudicata
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
So I usually don’t lock my car when it’s parked in the garage. I have been trying to figure out the best way to turn off the car. Might sound silly but the car sometimes completely shuts off with no issues and sometimes feels shutoff but interior led and music continues playing for awhile before shutting off.
Like 20 mins before it shuts down. Figure that’s not good for the battery.
Also feels like car play might causing the issue

Anybody else experiencing the same
R33 said it, but I usually hold the volume to turn everything off.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

I had the auto lock initially enabled but disabled it when the car was at the detailer for PPF and ceramic coating. Keep forgetting to re-enable it (heading to the garage after this posting to do so).

What I've learned is always shutoff the car before opening the door and all is well. In the few cases over the past several weeks in which I open the door before shutting off the car the easy answer is once the driver's door is closed (audio system still playing) just touch the comfort access mark on the handle to lock it and everything shuts down. Auto lock will do the same.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2020, 10:41 PM   #9
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

So turning the car off and waiting for a couple of secs will turn everything off. Takes a little getting used too but finally no questions of my battery is going to die
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I had the auto lock initially enabled but disabled it when the car was at the detailer for PPF and ceramic coating. Keep forgetting to re-enable it (heading to the garage after this posting to do so).

What I've learned is always shutoff the car before opening the door and all is well. In the few cases over the past several weeks in which I open the door before shutting off the car the easy answer is once the driver's door is closed (audio system still playing) just touch the comfort access mark on the handle to lock it and everything shuts down. Auto lock will do the same.
Appreciate 0