M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion lease/sale re-negotiate after order?

02-12-2020, 07:53 AM   #1
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

lease/sale re-negotiate after order?

Hey everyone,

Is it possible to re-negotiate the sale price after the car has already been ordered? At this point I've only put down a deposit, no papers have been signed.

Kind of jealous of some of the deals a few others got on their M8s
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Of course.
I have done it with my F97 X3MC.

It is not your car until you sign.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Of course.
I have done it with my F97 X3MC.

It is not your car until you sign.
Agreed but it somewhat depends on the paper executed during the ordering process. Sounds like in the OP's case there was nothing signed vs in mine when I placed the $2500 deposit there was signed paperwork indicating the negotiated discount and terms of condition regarding the deposit. The latter made it non-refundable once the order was "locked" by the BMW factory.

That said I was still able to re-negotiate but not necessarily to my ideal outcome. I checked and here in AZ (unlike at least CA) non-refundable deposits on orders is enforceable. Thus, in my renegotiation I had to be cognizant that if I could not reach my desired discount in order to start over with another dealer I'd be $2500 down in the process.

Another factor at the time is I that I knew all 2019 M850 coupe's on the ground did not meet my desired specs. Thus, starting over on a 2020 order would push out a new deal with the only other dealer in town an easy 3 months even if they could get an allocation. Given I had already waited 5 months for the car that was a show stopper in my mind. So my tactic was leveraging True Car pricing for a couple of 2020s already on the ground which my dealer agreed to and added about 2% more off of MSRP than the original deal.

Hindsight based on other postings regarding 2020 M850i orders/allocations tells me I made the right decision. I ended up with exactly what I wanted (after the cerium eradication program) and a few thousand extra in savings on a renegotiated deal will not make a difference whatsoever in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #4
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Is your depo fully refundable? If so then yes and with no downside. Just remember, when looking at lease prices here, trades, location, shipping costs if car is coming from out of state, some have revealed they've done significant MSD's, car in stock vs ordered, mileage, ttl out of pocket, ALL dealer fees obvious and somewhat hidden etc all matter, and some significantly. It's really important to truly consider apple to apple comps.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0