M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 vs. IndyCar at COTA

04-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #45
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
It's interesting that F1 is the most watched sport in the world but most of those countries don't have any F1 drivers.
Might that have to do something with that there are 20 places on the grid and 195 countries in the world?

And in what world is F1 the most watched sport?
Ever heard of football?

And what exactly did Senna bring up?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 04-09-2019 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #46
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Might that have to do something with that there are 20 places on the grid and 195 countries in the world?

And in what world is F1 the most watched sport?
Ever heard of football?
Average per event. Soccer has so many games so per game the rating is fairly low.

Quote:
And what exactly did Senna bring up?
Exactly what I said. Obviously I am not a F1 driver so I can only repeat what the drivers say.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #47
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Average per event. Soccer has so many games so per game the rating is fairly low.
Euhmmm depends on the match I think?
I think football has more events per year that score higher numbers than all the f1 races.
And I think that a grand slam tournament also get higher ratings than a f1 race.
F1 is the most viewed motorsport, but it'll probably have to struggle to get into the top 5 of most viewed sports, with football being the no.1 by FAR.
Quote:
Exactly what I said. Obviously I am not a F1 driver so I can only repeat what the drivers say.
That americans like a hero story?
Got a link to that quote? Or do you mean something else, because you said a lot of things.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #48
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think football has more events per year that score higher numbers than all the f1 races.
And I think that a grand slam tournament also get higher ratings than a f1 race.
F1 is the most viewed motorsport, but it'll probably have to struggle to get into the top 5 of most viewed sports, with football being the no.1 by FAR.
I don't have any hard figure but regardless, a lot of countries watch F1 even if they don't have any drivers in it.

Quote:
That americans like a hero story?
That's my opinion but like I said you're entitled to your own opinion.

Quote:
Got a link to that quote? Or do you mean something else, because you said a lot of things.
"So much of F1 cars are controlled by computer. If you got a monkey computer you're in trouble" Ayrton Senna.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:24 PM   #49
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
I don't have any hard figure but regardless, a lot of countries watch F1 even if they don't have any drivers in it.
Sure. And a lot of countries watch a grand slam finale even if they dont have finalists in them.
Whats your point?

Quote:
"So much of F1 cars are controlled by computer. If you got a monkey computer you're in trouble" Ayrton Senna.
And whats your point with that? You think indycars don't have computers in them?
And when and where exactly did he say that? Just to verify that quote.
And also I dont see how that quote relates to your initial point, that the computers in the f1 cars are the reason that its difficult to get 'into F1' and that you cant relate to the drivers.
Imho al that that quote says is that if a computer fails, your car fails, whatever monkey computer means .
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #50
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
I am not sure Haas knows how to build an F1 engine even if they try.
And neither do 6 of the other teams? Only Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari, and Honda supply the INCREDIBLY complex "power units." They aren't just "engines" because of the battery pack, controllers, KERS and TERS units and the integration into the drivetrain.

Quote:
I'm having a tough time finding good, comparable numbers. As it seems many sports "Audience reach" numbers are based on total viewership for the year, not unique viewers per event.

Here are the 2018 numbers for F1 which do break it down as such.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...bKqBaimKf.html
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:07 AM   #51
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I'm having a tough time finding good, comparable numbers. As it seems many sports "Audience reach" numbers are based on total viewership for the year, not unique viewers per event.

Here are the 2018 numbers for F1 which do break it down as such.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...bKqBaimKf.html
Ok, that article says the complete 2018 season had 490million unique viewers.

The 2018 fifa wc final had 1.12 billion views (which are all unique viewers).
https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/m...2018-world-cup
So the best viewed football match (yes, 1 match) has almost 2,5 times as much unique views as a complete annual f1 season.

Except for in the US, in virtually every other country in the world its by far the most popular sport to watch.

The best watched F1 grand prix (monaco) only has about 110million views.
The average views on a fifa wc match (so 64 in total, so also all the ) is 191 million. Thats over 70% more views average compared to the best viewed F1 match...

Really, its no comparison.
And the total global views counting european championchips, uefa etc etc makes it infinately bigger. The football world is huge, by far the most popular sport on earth in every way you measure it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #52
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Ok, that article says the complete 2018 season had 490million unique viewers.

The 2018 fifa wc final had 1.12 billion views (which are all unique viewers).
https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/m...2018-world-cup
So the best viewed football match (yes, 1 match) has almost 2,5 times as much unique views as a complete annual f1 season.

Except for in the US, in virtually every other country in the world its by far the most popular sport to watch.

The best watched F1 grand prix (monaco) only has about 110million views.
The average views on a fifa wc match (so 64 in total, so also all the ) is 191 million. Thats over 70% more views average compared to the best viewed F1 match...

And the total global views counting european championchips, uefa etc etc makes it infinately bigger. The football world is huge, by far the most popular sport on earth in every way you measure it.
I've seen these comparisons before. It's really a comparison between Apples and Engine Blocks. Not valid from any standpoint.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #53
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I've seen these comparisons before. It's really a comparison between Apples and Engine Blocks. Not valid from any standpoint.
Why wouldn't it be valid?
I'm sure that things like advertizing costs etc make those comparisons based on unique views etc etc.
A viewer is a viewer: a person sitting in front of his TV

But I can imagine that its hard for an american to understand how popular football is in the world as football plays virtually no role in US society (and in that way the US is quite unique)

And stating that F1 is "the most watched sport in the world" (westrace's original statement, which started this discussion) is just a bit silly imho. It's the most watched motorsport in the world, but not the most watched sport in the world. Thats football.

Last edited by GuidoK; 04-10-2019 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #54
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Why wouldn't it be valid?
I'm sure that things like advertizing costs etc make those comparisons based on unique views etc etc.
A viewer is a viewer: a person sitting in front of his TV

But I can imagine that its hard for an american to understand how popular football is in the world as football plays virtually no role in your society (and in that way the US is quite unique)
Because it's a comparison of an event that takes place once every 4 years vs. one that takes place every year. Compare the World Cup to the Olympics and compare Formula One to Premier League. These are valid comparisons.

And as far as your very condescending remark about Americans and soccer, I played club ball from the time I was 10 until I was 25 and turned down multiple university scholarships to play midfield and defenseman. We have a pretty strong soccer culture here and it nicely augments our locally created sports.

Cheers-mk
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:39 AM   #55
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Because it's a comparison of an event that takes place once every 4 years vs. one that takes place every year.
The WC gets more views than that F1 gets in 4 years. You'd know that if you did your math.

Quote:
Compare the World Cup to the Olympics and compare Formula One to Premier League. These are valid comparisons.
How is that a valid comparison?
The premier league is a UK national league!
https://www.premierleague.com/
How does a championship that is held in 1 country make a fair comparison to a global championship?!?

And the olympics are what? 30 sports together? Why compare that with 1 sport?
And this is about F1 compared to football. 1 sport to another.
But you want to break it down to that yes, in 1 country there are less viewers to 1 sport than there are global viewers to another sport. Yes you're completely right. A national football match in a country with 60 million citizens doesn't get the amount of views as a world champoinship F1 match with what? 7 billion global citizens...

Quote:
And as far as your very condescending remark about Americans and soccer, I played club ball from the time I was 10 until I was 25 and turned down multiple university scholarships to play midfield and defenseman. We have a pretty strong soccer culture here and it nicely augments our locally created sports.
My remarks are not condescending. Its a fact that football plays far less a role in US society than in most other countries in the world. not 15 years of running on a grass field is going to change that.
What american football is in the US, football is in the rest of the world.

Last edited by GuidoK; 04-10-2019 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #56
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
You'll notice I never claimed anything either way. I was merely trying to find a good comparison.

No need to turn everything on the internet into a snark fest.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #57
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

I understand.
Your link provided very clear info.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #58
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
The 9 degree program...McLaren shows its humorous side.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 05:52 AM   #59
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

IndyCar built for high speed just enough downforce and they dont have the half of the mechanical grip that F1 has.. not surprising..

and for track record.. no track limits for Indy and there is no refueling anymore in F1.. not sure Indy does it still though..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #60
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
IndyCar built for high speed just enough downforce and they dont have the half of the mechanical grip that F1 has.. not surprising..

and for track record.. no track limits for Indy and there is no refueling anymore in F1.. not sure Indy does it still though..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #61
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

then it means Indy is not even trying to save fuel that much and they re lighter on track most of the time.. F1 is trying to save fuel and heavier most of the time since they have to finish the race without refueling..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #62
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3798j View Post
The 9 degree program...McLaren shows its humorous side.

except that it's not really funny lol. Some of them fell a bit flat. Good thing they still got nice cars
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #63
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Quote:
except that it's not really funny lol. Some of them fell a bit flat. Good thing they still got nice cars
this is how much McLaren can get funny.. pushing the limits..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #64
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
this is how much McLaren can get funny.. pushing the limits..
I think it's best McLaren does what it's best at - making super cars. Maybe there were confused between flat corning vs flat jokes :-). They should have someone else handling the joke writings lols.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 05:33 PM   #65
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_of_the_Americas

Track record is 1:37.392 set by F-1 Mercedes. Indy Car Honda time was 1:45.4542. Not 15 secs different - try 8 secs.
If you want to count qualifying (which is the fastest a car can go), F1 did it in 1:33 while Indy did it in 1:46. That's a 13 second difference. Race records aren't that accurate to compare.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #66
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:
COTA lap times:

F1: 1:32
IndyCar 1:46

I wouldn't say I was surprised, but I was like "Really? That slow?" when I saw that IndyCar is about 15 seconds slower than F1. Visually, IndyCar looks like they are like crawling on the circuit vs. F1 like zooming by.

It would be interesting to see how fast IndyCar is vs. Formula 3? It would be a bit embarrassing if it is slower.
You sure do sound surprised.

F1 is the pinnacle of racing technology, a top teams budget is more then likely more than the entire Indycar field combine. F1 cars are simply superior in every single way. No contest!
Appreciate 0