M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Looking for a new daily commuter - Feedback welcome

06-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #23
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
In most places, if I were looking for a DD that was above the basic econocar level but still totally reasonable & practical it would probably a Hyundai Elantra Sport (or Elantra GT Sport hatch). 201 hp 1.6 turbo, upgraded suspension & brakes, etc. The rear suspension is multilink instead of twist beam like the regular Elantra.

But since I'm in Wisconsin, my DD preferences lean toward awd so it can pull winter duty and leave the fun car to not have to worry about winter. Fwd + snow tires is ok but I'd rather have the awd.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #24
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Hyundai's are shite. Smell like cheap chinese luggage and feel tinny.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #25
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Among the assorted rental cars I've had over the past couple years, a Hyunda Sonata was one of the nicer ones. This includes various GM, Toyota, Ford & Nissan models. Hyundai is stepping up their game.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #26
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasM View Post
Among the assorted rental cars I've had over the past couple years, a Hyunda Sonata was one of the nicer ones. This includes various GM, Toyota, Ford & Nissan models. Hyundai is stepping up their game.
I think Hyundai is on the level of the previous gen cars from Toyota and Honda - it's pretty good. Still, I'd rather get the Toyota or Honda if reliability and long term value is of concern.

Nissan non sports cars have recently been crap. A lot of cost cutting and rebranded Renaults sold as Nissans. They've definitely lost their touch. Mazda has been coming back with great cars though and improving.
      06-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #27
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Definitely agree with you on Nissan, they're just not competitive cars right now. They're decent comfy high mpg cruisers, but the Sonata is better at that than the Altima.

I'd be willing to pay a premium for a Honda over a Hyundai or Kia, but Toyota is pushing a bunch of very outdated platforms right now. They're still built to last (although the interiors are very plasticky nowadays), and hold their value, but Honda has those things as well and has much more modern platforms and nicer interiors.
Appreciate 0