M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2020 M850I Resonator Delete (x-pipe) Install

02-02-2024, 03:44 PM   #1
ATLM850i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M850I Gran Coupe

2020 M850I Resonator Delete (x-pipe) Install

What’s up everyone. I’m new to the forum and BMW life. Just got an M850I Gran Coupe a couple of months ago and I’ve already started getting some work done to it. When it comes to BMW performance work I’m still trying to figure out who to trust and if I’m being ripped off. If I’m in the wrong forum, that’s my bad. Let me know where to go.

Anyways, I’m looking to get a resonator delete and got quoted an insane amount on it and was told it was a multiple days job. I’m used to American vehicles where it takes about a couple of hours and a few hundred to get the job done. I just wanted to know if it actually takes multiple days and a kidney to do a simple res delete (x-pipe).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 05:29 PM   #2
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

1-2hrs job, Cost me £250 in the UK
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 05:38 AM   #3
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Yeah, whoever said it would take days is definitely trying to play you. I went to my local muffler shop a while back and asked about a muffler delete (change to an X pipe). The guy said 1-2 hours and $150!! I’m sure that a res delete should be similar.

By the way, why res delete instead of muffler delete?
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2024, 07:00 AM   #4
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Is the point of either to increase the exhaust sound? For $200 that seems like an easy win
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2024, 06:48 PM   #5
ATLM850i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M850I Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Yeah, whoever said it would take days is definitely trying to play you. I went to my local muffler shop a while back and asked about a muffler delete (change to an X pipe). The guy said 1-2 hours and $150!! I’m sure that a res delete should be similar.

No particular reason honestly. I’ve always done resonator deletes and that’s been the preference of most people I know.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 07:55 AM   #6
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

^ I see. My understanding on how these things work:

Resonators—tune out bad frequencies
Muffler—lower the volume.

I always figured that if I wanted the same tone but just wanted my car to be louder, I would do a muffler delete. With a res delete you are changing the tone, but I don’t know how much you are increasing the volume?
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 11:22 AM   #7
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLM850i View Post
What’s up everyone. I’m new to the forum and BMW life. Just got an M850I Gran Coupe a couple of months ago and I’ve already started getting some work done to it. When it comes to BMW performance work I’m still trying to figure out who to trust and if I’m being ripped off. If I’m in the wrong forum, that’s my bad. Let me know where to go.

Anyways, I’m looking to get a resonator delete and got quoted an insane amount on it and was told it was a multiple days job. I’m used to American vehicles where it takes about a couple of hours and a few hundred to get the job done. I just wanted to know if it actually takes multiple days and a kidney to do a simple res delete (x-pipe).

Thanks
Nice to see another Atlanta m850i owner! For the resonator delete, check out Extreme Performance Mufflers in Norcross. Not the cheapest, but fair price for good and quick work.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 12:19 PM   #8
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Quote:
^ I see. My understanding on how these things work:

Resonators—tune out bad frequencies
Muffler—lower the volume.

I always figured that if I wanted the same tone but just wanted my car to be louder, I would do a muffler delete. With a res delete you are changing the tone, but I don’t know how much you are increasing the volume?
Yep, the type of res delete has a strong influence on the sound quality but also to some extent volume. Each car will have a different response based on the piping upstream and engine

From my experience:
GC with straight pipe - too loud, and too much drone/rasp
GC straight pipe turned into H - improved sound, slightly louder than stock but more modest than straight, less drone
Xpipe one coupe, perfect flow and sound, see video below
https://youtu.be/Ve6C8Uxvs50?si=wTLfqjMDDsmbQNYT

Reason I didn’t go for muffler change was bc I wanted a smaller job on a lease car and didn’t want to impact the valve routing to reduce sound
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 11:53 PM   #9
Humy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition

Quote:

Any pics and sound clips of this set up w mufflers removed?
Appreciate 0