M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos The first Cayman GTS

05-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

The first Cayman GTS

I remember journalist used to drool over M3 like this, what happened BMW?

05-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #2
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I'm drooling over this cayman GTS. I can't believe they have the balls to charge $1,188,000hkd in Hong Kong (roughly $155k usd) starting price. I need to move.
      05-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for posting. I remember how Steve Sutcliffe praised the Cayman S, and now this Cayman GTS. Can't wait for his Cayman GT4 review.

The Cayman has the potential to be the best sports car in the world, and I say this thinking about it being better than other supercars. It has just everything right: handling, weight, daily usability, consumption, quality. It only lacks power (which can be picked from Porsche's shelf) and styling (which we know Porsche can do right when needed e.i. 918 Spyder) in order to be the beat Ferrari and McLaren (sorry, Lambo not worth).

Only Honda has the capability of building a sports car to match the Cayman. But will they?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Horrid color and wheel choice, but otherwise it's pretty amazing. I can tell he enjoys this car way more than the F80 M3 and perhaps even the C63. I'm pretty happy that Porsche brought back the standard 6 speed manual. I thought it would've been PDK only, maybe even 7sp mt but the 6sp option was a nice surprise.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
Horrid color and wheel choice, but otherwise it's pretty amazing. I can tell he enjoys this car way more than the F80 M3 and perhaps even the C63. I'm pretty happy that Porsche brought back the standard 6 speed manual. I thought it would've been PDK only, maybe even 7sp mt but the 6sp option was a nice surprise.
Might have to agree with you here: although a fan of the colour, it's not for the Cayman GTS. The wheels look like a low-cost option wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Love the color, but agree that the wheels are naff.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

It just a Cayman S with certain options made standard and a minor 15hp bumper. Basically paying an extra $6k-$7k for exterior gloss black trim and alcantara interior. I don't see the need at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I remember journalist used to drool over M3 like this, what happened BMW?
What's happened is that BMW has gotten so focused on volume sales that they've forgotten how to engineer a purist's sports car that's accessible to people who can't spend 6 figures on a car.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
What's happened is that BMW has gotten so focused on volume sales that they've forgotten how to engineer a purist's sports car that's accessible to people who can't spend 6 figures on a car.
I know it's sad. I hope Porsche doesn't go the same direction as BMW but if the launch of Macan is any indication Porsche also needs volume sale to feed its sporting R&D department and I hope it ends there. BMW has gone pass the point to keep its R&D alive to catering to its shareholder's never ending demand for top line growth and profit margins.
      05-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #10
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I'm drooling over this cayman GTS. I can't believe they have the balls to charge $1,188,000hkd in Hong Kong (roughly $155k usd) starting price. I need to move.
Just take the money you made in HK with its low income tax and buy the car in Canada. Problem solved!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #11
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Um, I'd take the M3 over this every day of the week (and twice on Sunday). Porsche's do absolutely nothing for me...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #12
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

He'll love the upcoming Carrera GTS, then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 11:50 PM   #13
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
Just take the money you made in HK with its low income tax and buy the car in Canada. Problem solved!
I think about this option everyday when I'm considering getting another car. Problem is, I will only be able to drive it for 2 weeks in a year which doesn't make any sense lol. Might as well rent a sports/super car every time I visit to make any economical sense.
      05-25-2014, 12:18 AM   #14
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I know it's sad. I hope Porsche doesn't go the same direction as BMW but if the launch of Macan is any indication Porsche also needs volume sale to feed its sporting R&D department and I hope it ends there. BMW has gone pass the point to keep its R&D alive to catering to its shareholder's never ending demand for top line growth and profit margins.
Yeah Porsche is going the same direction as BMW for sure; there is a mini Panamera-esque sedan coming out too in the future.

Basically any time someone like me is ready to align with particular brand as a buyer, that particular brand is ready for the masses. I'm a mass market kind of guy who loves American pizza, American Chinese food, 90210 Pho...etc.

I'm thinking about getting the 2015 Aston Martin Vantage GT next. Aston Martin will be next to go mass market.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 05:39 AM   #15
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Thanks for posting. I remember how Steve Sutcliffe praised the Cayman S, and now this Cayman GTS. Can't wait for his Cayman GT4 review.

The Cayman has the potential to be the best sports car in the world, and I say this thinking about it being better than other supercars. It has just everything right: handling, weight, daily usability, consumption, quality. It only lacks power (which can be picked from Porsche's shelf) and styling (which we know Porsche can do right when needed e.i. 918 Spyder) in order to be the beat Ferrari and McLaren (sorry, Lambo not worth).

Only Honda has the capability of building a sports car to match the Cayman. But will they?

I really don't understand the love for the Cayman. I've driven them a few times and they have never impressed me, given what they cost.

If you're interested in a track car, a Corvette will destroy a Cayman for similar money.

If you want something with more refinement than a Vette, a BMW M235i loaded with M Performance parts will also likely spank a base Cayman (and possibly a Cayman S, too) around a track while costing substantially less. The M235i has a semi-usable back seat and makes a great road car, as well.

And if you want something that costs about the same as a Cayman, performs better than the Cayman, looks better than the Cayman, and is rare enough that you will probably never find yourself sitting next to your twin at a stoplight, there's the Lotus Evora.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #16
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonn View Post

I'm thinking about getting the 2015 Aston Martin Vantage GT next. Aston Martin will be next to go mass market.
I am thinking about making a similar move.
See the thread I started here
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...t-vantage.html

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #17
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
I am thinking about making a similar move.
See the thread I started here
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...t-vantage.html

Any thoughts?
Yeah I'm actually getting a test drive this week to see if I can lift with sportshiftII. Not sure if you've read through the massive 2015 Vantage GT thread over there. Here are the main talking points:
  1. Dealers are not accepting any new orders for Vantage GT. You have to choose from what they've already ordered, if they are available.
  2. The platform is already 8 years old. New platform is estimated to be released for Model Year 2016, so will be available Q3/Q4 of 2015 probably. Those models will probably have dual clutch and the new Mercedes collaborated AMG engine.
  3. It's still essentially the same body style as the $50k 2006 Vantages you see on eBay.

Nice thread, I read through it! Seems like most Aston Martin owners emphasize that by owning a Vantage there is more of a sense of occasion, it's a piece of art, etc etc. You can't consider the stats when you consider an Aston.

You have a 981 right now, so it's tough. Porsche is basically the peak of the mass market automobile--the tech is brand new and the platform is brand new. I like having a tech oriented interior, and going any up further than Porsche, the tech really suffers with any brand, not just Aston. Like for the Vantage, the navigation is a joke. I think I'd rather just have no navi and use my phone than have that abomination in the car.

If we both go Vantage GT we're basically paying 100k+ to slip into a car that is 8 years old. There is the exclusivity factor but then again, someone can get essentially the same car for half price.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 06:22 AM   #18
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

[QUOTE=jasonn;16016130]Yeah I'm actually getting a test drive this week to see if I can lift with sportshiftII. Not sure if you've read through the massive 2015 Vantage GT thread over there. Here are the main talking points:
  1. Dealers are not accepting any new orders for Vantage GT. You have to choose from what they've already ordered, if they are available.
  2. The platform is already 8 years old. New platform is estimated to be released for Model Year 2016, so will be available Q3/Q4 of 2015 probably. Those models will probably have dual clutch and the new Mercedes collaborated AMG engine.
  3. It's still essentially the same body style as the $50k 2006 Vantages you see on eBay.

Thanks for the info. The MY 2016 replacement info is particularly compelling. I am not big on buying a model that will be replaced very soon. Do you have a source on that?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #19
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
Um, I'd take the M3 over this every day of the week (and twice on Sunday). Porsche's do absolutely nothing for me...
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post
I really don't understand the love for the Cayman. I've driven them a few times and they have never impressed me, given what they cost.

If you're interested in a track car, a Corvette will destroy a Cayman for similar money.

If you want something with more refinement than a Vette, a BMW M235i loaded with M Performance parts will also likely spank a base Cayman (and possibly a Cayman S, too) around a track while costing substantially less. The M235i has a semi-usable back seat and makes a great road car, as well.

And if you want something that costs about the same as a Cayman, performs better than the Cayman, looks better than the Cayman, and is rare enough that you will probably never find yourself sitting next to your twin at a stoplight, there's the Lotus Evora.
Agreed. Porsches are so overrated, overhyped, and overpriced. I too drove a Cayman, a 987.1 base with Tiptronic. It was a nice car I admit. but not really anything jaw dropping or electrifying. And given the price they command, I don't get all the hype. I'd rather have a Vette than a Cayman, or even a 911 any day.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #20
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi

One big problem you didn't raise with the Cayman... internal Porsche politics. It will never be 100% of it's potential given it's slot in the lineup.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #21
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Agreed.

Agreed. Porsches are so overrated, overhyped, and overpriced. I too drove a Cayman, a 987.1 base with Tiptronic. It was a nice car I admit. but not really anything jaw dropping or electrifying. And given the price they command, I don't get all the hype. I'd rather have a Vette than a Cayman, or even a 911 any day.
By that measure all Mercedes, BMW and Audi also are overrated, overhyped and overpriced. And so is Ferrari and Rolls Royce. Maserati, Aston Martin and Bentley is just sh*t.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 12:40 AM   #22
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
Thanks for the info. The MY 2016 replacement info is particularly compelling. I am not big on buying a model that will be replaced very soon. Do you have a source on that?
Far from a reliable source but I believe it given how old the platform is and from watching the Bloomberg Vantage GT youtube:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlfranz View Post
^^^^ Yes, it's true. The dealers are not taking any more orders now.

Also, the waiver for FMVSS 214 has still not been granted.The new regulations go into effect on September 1, 2014 for the DB9 and Vantage coupes and September 1, 2015 for the DB9 Volante and Vantage Roadster.

It is interesting to note that Aston is seeking a waiver for the DB9 until August 31 2016 and for the Vantage until August 31, 2017 which should give you a clue as to what their planned new vehicle introduction schedule currently is.
Appreciate 0