M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2015 Honda Civic Type-R pre-production review!! [and PICS!!]

11-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2015 Honda Civic Type-R pre-production review!! [and PICS!!]

I'm surprised as much as these journalists from CAR magazine SA were. They were very lucky..

Quote:
Tokyo, Japan – What began as a relatively exciting day of scheduled new technology test drives at Honda’s impressive R&D centre at Tochigi, turned that much more interesting as, out of the blue, we were informed that the forthcoming Civic Type-R would also be made available.

Looking particularly menacing in matching matte black paint jobs, the sight of a pair of prototype Civic Type-R hatches parked amongst some of the more sedate current Honda offerings highlighted not only what a special place the red-badged Type-R family has held throughout Honda’s history, but also just how long it’s been since one of its clan members has roamed the streets with any real purpose.

Although apparently a full year away from being signed-off, the cars on site featured impressive-looking flared and detailed wheelarches filled with 235/35 19-inch alloy wheels. Clearly visible behind the spokes shone red Brembo brake callipers.

Up front there’s plenty of menace in the bumper and grille design and I couldn’t help but notice an additional narrow air intake between the closed bonnet and top of the mesh grille. One of the biggest statements of intent can be found at the rear in the form of a huge fixed wing mounted between the taillights. Only slightly less obtrusive are the large-barrel quad exhaust tailpipes.

The sense of relief as I dropped into the massive bucket-shaped driver’s seat and was able to adjust low enough in the cabin to find an optimal driving position was huge. My lasting memory of most other high-performance Hondas, including S2000, Integra Type-R and previous-generation hot Civics is one of frustration that the driver’s seat did not adjust low enough for my 186 cm tall frame to fit comfortably.

The next sigh of relief was at the sight of a small chrome gear knob. Earlier on in the day the gathered press had been given details on Honda’s newly-developed eight-speed DCT dual clutch transmission and I began to wonder whether that presentation may have been a prelude to an announcement on the Type-R’s new ‘box. As it stands that option may still materialise but today I was greeted by a fast and accurate short-throw six-speed manual transmission.

Mated with this transmission is Honda’s new 2,0-litre direct injection turbocharged VTec engine. Featuring optimised valve timing, a high-performance cooling cylinder head and high-tumble intake ports this new unit is currently tuned to 206 kW – though this figure could grow to around 220 kW before the project is signed off. There’s an impressive 400 N.m of torque on offer.

Awaiting my turn to head out onto the high-speed oval test track I noticed a button labelled R to the left of the steering column. In broken English my weary-looking Honda co-driver told me that this changes the mapping on the throttle and steering, as well as the damper ratings. Understand, at this point, that we have been told nothing other than the current engine spec and the fact that Honda is targeting a class-leading sub-eight minute Nurburgring lap time.

While I had managed to find a purposeful driving position in the new car, I was still unable to see the digital speedometer behind the rim of the steering wheel. Fortunately this test drive as was only conducted on a closed test circuit and the car’s top speed was limited to 200 km/h.

Based on his lack of reaction or comment, my co-driver had clearly seen it all before as I floored the car out of the pits and shifted as close to the 7 000 r/min redline as possible. It felt strong. The steering wheel certainly gets lighter in your hands under full acceleration, but there’s no discernible tug off dead centre as the power is dumped onto the front axle. Fingers crossed they keep the exhaust system in its current state of tune as the corresponding deep engine note matches those menacing looks perfectly. Shift efficiently and there’s even a VW DSG-mimicking vroomp exhaust note. It’s no Mercedes A45 AMG but as an aural experience but I would imagine the Type R might be able to give the OPC a challenge in a sound-off.

I was genuinely surprised at how quickly we reached the aforementioned speed limiter and it was here, in sixth gear, where we stayed for much of my two laps of the oval. As a result I can only report that the Civic performed admirably during a long and steady, heavily-banked, left-hand turn.
Realising there may not be another chance to explore some of the intricacies of the car, I may have been slightly elaborate with my down shifts as we took to pit entrance. I’m glad I did, though, as the subsequent fooling around on the throttle pedal revealed an addictive gush of unwanted air escaping the turbo.

The news that Honda only foresees the Civic Type-R being ready by 2015 is hard to absorb, especially after having sampled what could surely be an almost production-ready example. Sure there’s talk of even more power and there will probably be some more fine-tuning of the final package, but it does strike me that Honda is reluctant to being hurried into appeasing its long-suffering performance-orientated fans – of which there are many. Even the news that the forthcoming NSX will officially feature a longitudinally mounted twin-turbo V6 (contrary to the transverse unit previously mooted) seems to be yet another tease before any final announcement is made on performance specifications and production dates.

Based on my experience in the Type-R, I, for one, hope Honda brings the car to market in as close to its current form as possible. With its aggressive, slightly over-the-top styling, backed-up by Golf R-rivalling engine outputs, a driver-focused manual transmission and soundtrack to match, the presence of a mighty Honda Civic Type-R in this segment can only be a good thing.

We got behind the wheel of the eagerly awaited honda Civic Type-R

Flared wheel arches and huge wing add presence

Complex bumper and grille design

Honda fans will love the detailing on the new Type R

Red Brembo brake calipers visible

Huge bucket seats up front

2,0-litre turbocharged Vtec engine

Interior finish still needs to be finalised

R button adjusts throttle and steering mapping, as well as damper setting

Quad exhaust tailpipes

Six-speed manual transmission with chrome gear knob

Source: http://www.carmag.co.za/driving-impr...ivic-type-r-3/
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

that looks aggressive, just how it should be!
      11-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
that looks aggressive, just how it should be!
Seriously - From the paint finish to the spoiler!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Sadly...its just vaporware for the US.....
      11-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrig View Post
Sadly...its just vaporware for the US.....
How come?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
How come?
US never gets ctr
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
US never gets ctr
Bummer. I'm guessing there's not a strong enough demand
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Seriously ugly. No question why the questionable mods are called ricers, they come like that out of the factory it seems oO
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Totally love it.

Big, giant fenders, huge rear spoiler, uncompromising seats, manual gearbox, etc. Completely over the top car that isn't going to appeal to the typical Honda buyer, because that's never what it was intended to do.

BMW could learn a lot from this car. This what an M car should be like.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

A couple things that i instantly didn't like:

1. that spoiler. Waaaay too much. Whats with those little side wings? Trying too hard there.

2. That interior still looks cheap. Even the FR-S interior looks more aggressive.
      11-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Legit!!!

If I downgrade...this iteration could do it...but it wont come to the US :-(
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
brokemywallet
Slaveaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I

Does this not look like a friggin hyundai veloster on crack? Wtf are they thinking!!!!!

Whatever.....Europe/Japan and the rest of the world can have it......
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #13
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

wont get it in NA...
      11-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #14
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokemywallet View Post
Does this not look like a friggin hyundai veloster on crack? Wtf are they thinking!!!!!

Whatever.....Europe/Japan and the rest of the world can have it......
Lolz
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 03:30 AM   #15
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3 View Post
A couple things that i instantly didn't like:

1. that spoiler. Waaaay too much. Whats with those little side wings? Trying too hard there.

2. That interior still looks cheap. Even the FR-S interior looks more aggressive.
It's not the production interior. I hate the frs's interior.. I agree that it's trying way too hard though..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Its perfect for a pre production car. It will get toned down a little bit before production.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
It's almost a little too aggressive, I prefer the understated look. This screams louder than Sti... way too boyracer for me but then again I'm probably not their target demographic. If it were more toned down it'd be a great daily/commuter.

+1 on the Veloster on steroid comments
      11-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Too "fast and furious" for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #19
hillarysqt
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

Completely over the top car that isn't going to appeal to the typical Honda buyer
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #20
Wild_Will
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Hurucan Evo

I am currently stationed in Germany.If i buy 1 of these would i be able to ship it back to the states and get it registered and insured with no issues ?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #21
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Will View Post
I am currently stationed in Germany.If i buy 1 of these would i be able to ship it back to the states and get it registered and insured with no issues ?
You can but it will be very expensive and time-consuming to do, and if you live in California you can pretty much forget it because of their battery of emissions tests.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #22
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Honda's been a eunuch in the US for many years. It would be nice if they had another performance oriented car beside the likely to be rare as hen's teeth NSX.