M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Moving to Tallahassee?

02-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #23
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Downtown here is small, few square blocks, and right next to FSU. Aside from the outstandingly good co-ed type scenery I'd avoid living there like the plague. I drive through there all the time, but wouldn't want to live there again unless I was the right age to be hunting... It would, however, be worth it to eat dinner downtown on a Fri/Sat night to get a sense of the area, and go for a bit of a wander after dinner. I'm wondering if, even with students, a heavy night here would be like a quiet Monday there...

Town overall is small enough that I'd encourage finding your office, then find the nearest edge of town and start shopping. North East, look for the Kilearn area, then avoid it, go just west of there for much newer areas where you'll power that stays on. Mid East, look out towards Chairs. South East look around Southwood up to Old St Augustine, anything in that area. You can get pretty far out and still easily be less than 45 minutes here.

West side is more old growth- prices will be lower, homes mostly older.

FWIW, Zillow has a good handle on the town, and The Wife has been house hunting off & on for a few years. If ya'll come down we'd be happy to meet for lunch- she'd love to give ya'll the skinny.
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #24
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
Downtown here is small, few square blocks, and right next to FSU. Aside from the outstandingly good co-ed type scenery I'd avoid living there like the plague. I drive through there all the time, but wouldn't want to live there again unless I was the right age to be hunting... It would, however, be worth it to eat dinner downtown on a Fri/Sat night to get a sense of the area, and go for a bit of a wander after dinner. I'm wondering if, even with students, a heavy night here would be like a quiet Monday there...

Town overall is small enough that I'd encourage finding your office, then find the nearest edge of town and start shopping. North East, look for the Kilearn area, then avoid it, go just west of there for much newer areas where you'll power that stays on. Mid East, look out towards Chairs. South East look around Southwood up to Old St Augustine, anything in that area. You can get pretty far out and still easily be less than 45 minutes here.

West side is more old growth- prices will be lower, homes mostly older.

FWIW, Zillow has a good handle on the town, and The Wife has been house hunting off & on for a few years. If ya'll come down we'd be happy to meet for lunch- she'd love to give ya'll the skinny.
I may just take you up on that!

Southwood seems to be one that keeps popping up on our radar.

What are your thoughts on a place on the water in the Ochlockonee Bay or Shell Point areas and commuting in? Seems like to get a chunk of cool for your pennies.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #25
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
On the Gulf is sweet, lots of area that mimics low country marshland around Savannah- great way to spend an afternoon/evening. And you can save a few pennies with no State Income Tax.

Flood and Hurricane insurance tho. Ouch is an understatement. Fun to visit maybe, but lake front further north is easier on the wallet. We live in the highest point in Wakulla- no flood insurance. Och bay isn't that...

https://qpublic.schneidercorp.com/Ap...=1&PageID=6830

That said, there are some nice places down that way, but the rental joints know what they have, and happily pass the extra costs on- few annual rentals, lots of weekly stuff...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #26
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
On the Gulf is sweet, lots of area that mimics low country marshland around Savannah- great way to spend an afternoon/evening. And you can save a few pennies with no State Income Tax.

Flood and Hurricane insurance tho. Ouch is an understatement. Fun to visit maybe, but lake front further north is easier on the wallet. We live in the highest point in Wakulla- no flood insurance. Och bay isn't that...

https://qpublic.schneidercorp.com/Ap...=1&PageID=6830

That said, there are some nice places down that way, but the rental joints know what they have, and happily pass the extra costs on- few annual rentals, lots of weekly stuff...
Everything I see is short term vacation rentals in the area. I'd be interested to rent in a suburb of for a while and maybe eventually buy an investment spot on the gulf. Southwood may be the ticket, at least on paper.

My uncle had a house on the bay in Destin. If exaggeration wasn't at play and my memory serves, I want to say he was shelling out $10k in insurance a year.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #27
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Southwood is good, particularly if your office is towards that corner of town.

Kinda surprised myself, just stumbled on this today. Few rental topics on the first page, worth a quick peruse
https://www.reddit.com/r/Tallahassee/
One of the things I learned - We have a realtime police activity page
https://www.talgov.com/gis/tops/

Noticed Zillow has 1 (yep, one...) rental on the beach in Och Bay, well, Panacea they call it. $1650/mo. From the listing can't be sure if it has either AC or heat... Guessing it's been through at least two massive hurricanes, so it's a trooper, but no AC would be a deal breaker for me...

479 Mashes Sands Rd, Panacea, FL 32346
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...03_rect/10_zm/

Appreciate 1
      02-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #28
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Southwood is good, particularly if your office is towards that corner of town.

Kinda surprised myself, just stumbled on this today. Few rental topics on the first page, worth a quick peruse
https://www.reddit.com/r/Tallahassee/
One of the things I learned - We have a realtime police activity page
https://www.talgov.com/gis/tops/

Noticed Zillow has 1 (yep, one...) rental on the beach in Och Bay, well, Panacea they call it. $1650/mo. From the listing can't be sure if it has either AC or heat... Guessing it's been through at least two massive hurricanes, so it's a trooper, but no AC would be a deal breaker for me...

479 Mashes Sands Rd, Panacea, FL 32346
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...03_rect/10_zm/

Good eye! Waiting on some phone calls so I can plan the trip down.
Appreciate 0