M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos My Mexican made VW Golf is great

Closed Thread

12-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

My Mexican made VW Golf is great

Not sure if it really applies but we bought a mkV gti. All German when we heard future VWs were going to Mexico. We owned it 9 years and so many issues. My mom bought 2013 Mexican Jetta and had no issues so it made me wonder. We traded in out 2008 MKV for MKVII gti made in Mexico. No issues after 13 months. Fit and finish is the same as the German one and my German car buff best friend agreed. He couldn't tell it wasn't German. In the past I would be apprehensive but the reality is German built stuff is not really that reliable anymore. I would prefer German one for ED but if there were savings involved might be ok with Gerxican BMW. Love the Mexican GTI
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
FernandoBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Not sure if it really applies but we bought a mkV gti. All German when we heard future VWs were going to Mexico. We owned it 9 years and so many issues. My mom bought 2013 Mexican Jetta and had no issues so it made me wonder. We traded in out 2008 MKV for MKVII gti made in Mexico. No issues after 13 months. Fit and finish is the same as the German one and my German car buff best friend agreed. He couldn't tell it wasn't German. In the past I would be apprehensive but the reality is German built stuff is not really that reliable anymore. I would prefer German one for ED but if there were savings involved might be ok with Gerxican BMW. Love the Mexican GTI
Wow, I never knew car brands had ethnicities, a few Volkswagen are Mexican? So is there a few Indonesian Volkswagen too? I'm going to ask my bmw if he's Irish or German. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:55 AM   #3
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoBMW View Post
Wow, I never knew car brands had ethnicities, a few Volkswagen are Mexican? So is there a few Indonesian Volkswagen too? I'm going to ask my bmw if he's Irish or German. Thanks!
Whatever you do, don't assume it's gender.
      12-13-2018, 06:43 AM   #4
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
My MK7 GTI was stellar!!!!
I still drive my MKV as a daily. It's been an outstanding 2nd vehicle. Both purchased new.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011zx10R View Post
I still drive my MKV as a daily. It's been an outstanding 2nd vehicle. Both purchased new.
The first one was outstanding in how it drove, looked, mileage it is a brilliant vehicle but we had a lot of issues with it. Just like all my BMWs though. We said we were never buying another VW again so we started looking at all the cars but none were as good a package as the GTI and since my mom's Mexican Jetta gave her no issues after 4 years, we test drove the Mk7 and wow. For the price, it is a brilliant package with amazing seats, great sound, quick, etc. I do not like the BMW display on top of the dash. I find it distracting especially at night and the stupid radio controls but the VW system sits lower and you can run the radio with buttons and touch screen. The build quality is excellent and honestly can't tell the difference and it has already proven more reliable than my 80% German MkV.

I think people will be OK with a Mexican made BMW. After 35 years of owning German cars, I no longer see made in Germany the same way as I used to. I know the GTI is not for those looking at 3 series cars but man....what an amazing car for the money. There's a reason Jeremy Clarkson owns one....so do many of the guys I run into at Cars and Coffee with 911s and exotics, we get to talking and a lot of them have a GTI as a daily driver too.

Here are my two GTIs...the VW GTI and the BMW GTI which is what Clarkson called the 1M....the poor man's BMW that gives the big dogs a run for their money.

As far as the new 3 series goes I am happy they will offer ED...I love my 4 door 330i ZHP and have considered a new 4 door that drives well and it sounds very positive....I am just struggling with no manual option.... I already have a manual M car so maybe it will be OK. The dual clutch in the GTI is excellent but once the quick-shift amazement wears off, it's still not as enjoyable as the manual.

Hope to test drive one soon and see if they are really back with the 3 series!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 12:09 AM   #6
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011zx10R View Post
The first one was outstanding in how it drove, looked, mileage it is a brilliant vehicle but we had a lot of issues with it. Just like all my BMWs though. We said we were never buying another VW again so we started looking at all the cars but none were as good a package as the GTI and since my mom's Mexican Jetta gave her no issues after 4 years, we test drove the Mk7 and wow. For the price, it is a brilliant package with amazing seats, great sound, quick, etc. I do not like the BMW display on top of the dash. I find it distracting especially at night and the stupid radio controls but the VW system sits lower and you can run the radio with buttons and touch screen. The build quality is excellent and honestly can't tell the difference and it has already proven more reliable than my 80% German MkV.

I think people will be OK with a Mexican made BMW. After 35 years of owning German cars, I no longer see made in Germany the same way as I used to. I know the GTI is not for those looking at 3 series cars but man....what an amazing car for the money. There's a reason Jeremy Clarkson owns one....so do many of the guys I run into at Cars and Coffee with 911s and exotics, we get to talking and a lot of them have a GTI as a daily driver too.

Here are my two GTIs...the VW GTI and the BMW GTI which is what Clarkson called the 1M....the poor man's BMW that gives the big dogs a run for their money.

As far as the new 3 series goes I am happy they will offer ED...I love my 4 door 330i ZHP and have considered a new 4 door that drives well and it sounds very positive....I am just struggling with no manual option.... I already have a manual M car so maybe it will be OK. The dual clutch in the GTI is excellent but once the quick-shift amazement wears off, it's still not as enjoyable as the manual.

Hope to test drive one soon and see if they are really back with the 3 series!
Hi Jack

Yes for do anything car Gti MK7 for sure.
Tune gets ya 313 hp 380 torque

Anyway I'm happy with the M3 it's just a troublemaker and attracts unwanted attention
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread