M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Audi TT Virtual Cockpit

10-01-2016, 04:19 AM   #23
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

It's cool to have that but I would rather prefer a traditional lay out in line with digital gauges. I like what my BMW provides me when switching between driving modes
      10-01-2016, 06:27 AM   #24
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Audi always do that, they take the unique interior details from the current gen RS cars and put them in base model next gen cars......like the suede door cards and quilted seat patterns

and VW just steals them all regardless

new S4 has all the interior detailing (albeit as options) that made my RS3 more premium than my S3 ....suede doors, quilted seats, carbon trim, alu pedals. Since Audi don't believe in leather wrapping dashboards, i have no idea what they're going to do on the next RS4 to elevate it beyond the S4

Last edited by domino_z; 10-01-2016 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #25
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
Being "pretty" is one thing (and the virtual cockpit IS really pretty), but the fact that I have to look down for any information instead of having my line of sight towards the road (through peripheral vision) is really concerning. All information should be in the line of sight of the driver, which means at the same height/level of looking at the road.

I'd much rather have an advanced HUD than a glitzy speedometer.
I understand your point. Funny thing is, 10 years ago you had no choice regarding this. What did you do then: hate all of your cars?

(Besides: I'd like to see any of the several nav screen versions reproduced on an HUD and be decipherable at a glance. It's simply not possible on an HUD - and if it were it would be a visual hazard akin to sticking a Garmin unit right in your line of sight).

Virtual Cockpit is amazing. In any car, I can choose among configs that:
- center the tach
- expand/enlarge the nav
- make the analog gauges large or small
- reverse the analog gauge contrast (black on white/white on black)
- choose among several types of nav display scheme, including satellite imagery in either 2D (straight down) or 3D (tilted bird's eye)
ALL ON ONE SCREEN.

VW's always believed in the high-sight-line rule: that it mounted its stereos where most other cars placed its air vents for years is an example of this. But it's never tried to pack a massive center display full of info that drivers need constantly in real time, just as its never tried to pack an HUD with info that drivers don't need constantly. Virtual Cockpit solves both dilemmas far better than anything before it -- and the resolution makes the analog-style digital gauges as readable and attractive as they've ever been in any car.

Winning.
Appreciate 1
TallTrees148.00