M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos HR&G Editorial: The 2015 Ford Mustang Takes on BMW and Europe

06-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

HR&G Editorial: The 2015 Ford Mustang Takes on BMW and Europe

Friends of mine started this website, Hot Rods and Guns, and conned me into doing some writing for them. It didn't take too much arm twisting. My thoughts on the new 2015 Ford Mustang inside, and the new European rivalries that are forming. Enjoy.

http://hotrodsandguns.net/editorial-...mw-and-europe/
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
Friends of mine started this website, Hot Rods and Guns, and conned me into doing some writing for them. It didn't take too much arm twisting. My thoughts on the new 2015 Ford Mustang inside, and the new European rivalries that are forming. Enjoy.

http://hotrodsandguns.net/editorial-...mw-and-europe/
Quote:
My E93 was among the last of the now “old school” BMWs to be sold.
Your E93 isn't old school in the slightest. Many BMW purists cried blasphemy upon learning that BMW would have the gall to put a turbocharger on something. A method previously viewed as "low tech", even by BMW. If anything, it's probably the single point in BMW's history where you could see big chances were happening with the way BMW approached automotive engineering. And when the E9x M3 decided to ditch an inline 6 engine altogether in favor for a V8???? That got a lot of flack from the ///M faithful. I think some of them actually suffered aneurysms when BMW later built M versions of the X5 and X6 SUV, probably just as many as when BMW decided to offer a manual AND a dual clutch transmission (and before that an SMG...which were awful).

Either way, you could make the same argument about virtually any car. Times change and technology evolves. I prefer hydraulic power steering myself. Good luck finding one these days. They'll get better with time.

The good news is that the brakes are still good. I can tell because I have to clean my f***ing wheels every week.

While your writing is certainly good, I think you're a bit disillusioned. I've always seen a lot of base 3 Series around vs. the loaded models. It isn't new with the F3x, it's just more evident since BMW introduced different "lines" which give noticeably different exterior appearances.

As for the Mustang, with the introduction of the 5.0L Coyote V8, the GT has always been seen as the poor man's M3. I don't see that changing with the 2015. Don't mean that as an insult or a knock against the Mustang. If you're not pleased with BMW's direction, then by all means check out the GT. Be prepared to not like the steering though...it too has electric power steering.

In fact if I had to guess, by adding things like IRS and EPS to the Mustang (and gasp! a four cylinder turbocharged motor!), you're probably hearing similar echos on the Mustang forums from the Mustang faithful. Such is life.

Last edited by fecurtis; 06-18-2014 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'm not sure why this discussion isn't more tuned as Cadillac vs. BMW. The ATS in even standard trim with a 2.0T manual trans is a far superior driver than the F30 320i.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

I own a Mustang 2013 GT tastefully modded... after driving my 235i the Mustang feels cheap and big. The wheel base feels short for the length of the body. Not sure how these 2 cars are even compared. I'm sure the M3 drives equal to or better than my 235. Small wheel base comparison

107/188 on 2013 mustang (car just feel too long)
105/174 on m235i
109/182 on m3
107/188 on 2015 Mustang

IMO Ford is just piggy backing their marketing on the BMW brand.

Last edited by BLK235iNJ; 06-18-2014 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Your E93 isn't old school in the slightest. Many BMW purists cried blasphemy upon learning that BMW would have the gall to put a turbocharger on something. A method previously viewed as "low tech", even by BMW. If anything, it's probably the single point in BMW's history where you could see big chances were happening with the way BMW approached automotive engineering. And when the E9x M3 decided to ditch an inline 6 engine altogether in favor for a V8???? That got a lot of flack from the ///M faithful. I think some of them actually suffered aneurysms when BMW later built M versions of the X5 and X6 SUV, probably just as many as when BMW decided to offer a manual AND a dual clutch transmission (and before that an SMG...which were awful).

Either way, you could make the same argument about virtually any car. Times change and technology evolves. I prefer hydraulic power steering myself. Good luck finding one these days. They'll get better with time.

The good news is that the brakes are still good. I can tell because I have to clean my f***ing wheels every week.

While your writing is certainly good, I think you're a bit disillusioned. I've always seen a lot of base 3 Series around vs. the loaded models. It isn't new with the F3x, it's just more evident since BMW introduced different "lines" which give noticeably different exterior appearances.

As for the Mustang, with the introduction of the 5.0L Coyote V8, the GT has always been seen as the poor man's M3. I don't see that changing with the 2015. Don't mean that as an insult or a knock against the Mustang. If you're not pleased with BMW's direction, then by all means check out the GT. Be prepared to not like the steering though...it too has electric power steering.

In fact if I had to guess, by adding things like IRS and EPS to the Mustang (and gasp! a four cylinder turbocharged motor!), you're probably hearing similar echos on the Mustang forums from the Mustang faithful. Such is life.
10/10 post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ View Post
I own a Mustang 2013 GT tastefully modded... after driving my 235i the Mustang feels cheap and big. The wheel base feels short for the length of the body. Not sure how these 2 cars are even compared. I'm sure the M3 drives equal to or better than my 235. Small wheel base comparison

107/188 on 2013 mustang (car just feel too long)
105/174 on m235i
109/182 on m3
107/188 on 2015 Mustang

IMO Ford is just piggy backing their marketing on the BMW brand.
There's more to it than just taking wheelbase and overhangs into consideration. Is your S197 running on the factory SRA? I would assume so; the whole setup front and rear is under-damped and under-sprung from the factory with serious pitch issues. Wait for the S550. They've invested heavily in weight savings while bringing the rear axle into the 21st century. Considering that weight is reportedly the same as the outgoing GT's (a little less than 100lbs in gain), the weight should shift back and the chassis is probably far stiffer. It's going to be an E92 M3-lite. I'm calling it right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
10/10 post.

There's more to it than just taking wheelbase and overhangs into consideration. Is your S197 running on the factory SRA? I would assume so; the whole setup front and rear is under-damped and under-sprung from the factory with serious pitch issues. Wait for the S550. They've invested heavily in weight savings while bringing the rear axle into the 21st century. Considering that weight is reportedly the same as the outgoing GT's (a little less than 100lbs in gain), the weight should shift back and the chassis is probably far stiffer. It's going to be an E92 M3-lite. I'm calling it right now.
This.

2018 Bullitt, take my money now!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
This.

Thats what I want too. A Bullitt.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
Thats what I want too. A Bullitt.
Right? I want Highlander Green so badly. Guard is the closest thing we'll be able to get in the meantime and it's what I plan on ordering. I can't believe that we haven't seen any photos with the performance package wheels yet. The splitter and wheels will go amazingly well with it. Here are some photos.

All of these are the EB 2.0T models. The GT with PP will have a deeper inset grille dam, black mesh wheels, a much more aggressive front splitter, faux cap on the rear face of the trunklid, and the layered rear diffuser. It's going to look purposeful as all hell.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

I'm well aware that there is more than just wheelbase (reason I labeled it small comparison). The s197 with track pack was compared to the same e92 M3. I followed the development of the s550 closely on mustang6g.com and I'm also aware of all of the new features coming out. I was planning on pre-ordering one until I saw it in person at the NYC Auto Show. Also I don't want to come across like I'm knocking the car I just dont think fit/finish and driver feel is anywhere close to a BMWs feel. I say this with experience I've owned 1992 LX 5.0, 2003 SVT Cobra (IRS with 500+ rwhp) 2004 SVT Cobra, 2013 Mustang GT (Suspension Mods, tune and exhaust). The point I was trying to make was these cars are not apples to apples. Many cars can be made to perform like a M3 lite but like you said there's much more to it

The car I regret selling (C6 Z06) for pure performance.

My car on the left

Quote:
10/10 post.

Last edited by BLK235iNJ; 06-19-2014 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

Great post. You know I don't really disagree with you too much on anything. Much of this is simply a matter of perspective and opinion, which is why I penned this piece as an editorial. I honestly would have preferred a nice good old-fashioned port-injected naturally aspirated "330i" E93, except none was offered. Didn't think the detuned 230hp N52 would move the 4000lb E93 body the way I'd want it to especially with an automatic, so I just went for the turbo.

The bottom line for me though is that every single BMW sold used to have great steering, great brakes, "just right" suspension, and a sweet straight-6 engine. I'll give them a pass on going with a 4-cylinder for better EPA, but the EPS rack in my old RAV4 was better than what I've tried on the newest BMWs!! And the decision to put in very floaty standard suspensions and mushy but lower dust brakes are all conscious design decisions that have nothing to do with technology. It's been BMW's choice to make these floaty and mushy feeling cars unless you pay thousands more. I'm sure EPS racks will improve with time. From what I've read the M3/M4 rack and the Porsche GT3 EPS racks are great.

I just got back from the dealership starting the process to do the buyout and getting the CPO inspection done, and I just happened to score their "promo" 428i M-Sport convertible. It's definitely a nice car loaded with all the goodies including HUD and all that, but still doesn't drive as good as my E93 does, IMHO. No regrets that I'm doing the right thing for me, and am definitely hoping that BMW improves the EPS racks in particular. Can't wait to try the new Mustang too.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Right? I want Highlander Green so badly. Guard is the closest thing we'll be able to get in the meantime and it's what I plan on ordering. I can't believe that we haven't seen any photos with the performance package wheels yet. The splitter and wheels will go amazingly well with it. Here are some photos.

All of these are the EB 2.0T models. The GT with PP will have a deeper inset grille dam, black mesh wheels, a much more aggressive front splitter, faux cap on the rear face of the trunklid, and the layered rear diffuser. It's going to look purposeful as all hell.

I still haven't quite figured out what it is, but there's just something missing in the new 4-series design that doesn't quite do it for me vs the outgoing 3-series E93/E93. It's like it's more slab-sided or something, or doesn't flow like it should. The new Mustang looks fantastic from practically every angle! WOW. I should be getting that same reaction from the 4-series, but I just don't.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #12
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Thats a fantastic color.
Appreciate 0