M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Very low miles - oil change M8501

07-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
likegadgets
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Very low miles - oil change M8501

Greetings,

M850i. Purchased 9/2020 - car manufactured 6/2020. Current miles 2,400. Received the APP notification for oil change for July, 2020

Currently trying to not go out at all, and surely do not want to go to a BMW dealer. (I drive the car around once a week for a few miles so it is not idle). I was able to arrange for a car wash where I did not even had to open the window. My regular dealer does not offer pickup / delivery. I am in Los Angeles. How long can this wait? Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
likegadgets
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by likegadgets View Post
Greetings,

M850i. Purchased 9/2020 - car manufactured 6/2020. Current miles 2,400. Received the APP notification for oil change for July, 2020

Currently trying to not go out at all, and surely do not want to go to a BMW dealer. (I drive the car around once a week for a few miles so it is not idle). I was able to arrange for a car wash where I did not even had to open the window. My regular dealer does not offer pickup / delivery. I am in Los Angeles. How long can this wait? Any suggestions?
Update: My selling dealer will pick up and redeliver. The closer dealer where I service would not.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Greetings,

I'm assuming a typo there with the dates being 2019, i.e., purchased 9/2019 and manufactured 6/2019. I'm guessing you're getting the the notice for the oil change not due to miles but a) hopefully iDrive just doesn't measure miles but rather "quality" of the oil or b) you've been flagged due to the "stop bulletin" issued last year for engine oil contamination as your M850i somehow did not get serviced prior to purchase. Check out this thread for more info: https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1694684
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2020, 03:13 AM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

you can probably wait, but why would you want to? just get it done.

P.S. My experience with BMW services has been so hit or miss, that if they are actually willing to help do something correctly, why not let them do it right. Lord knows you can't ask them to help, so if they ask you to change the oil; go get it done.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 03:18 AM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Greetings,

I'm assuming a typo there with the dates being 2019, i.e., purchased 9/2019 and manufactured 6/2019. I'm guessing you're getting the the notice for the oil change not due to miles but a) hopefully iDrive just doesn't measure miles but rather "quality" of the oil or b) you've been flagged due to the "stop bulletin" issued last year for engine oil contamination as your M850i somehow did not get serviced prior to purchase. Check out this thread for more info: https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1694684
idrive measures time and miles. it will alert at 10k miles and/or 1 year, which ever comes first. it doesn't inspect your oil.

It will send a signal to the dealership to call you at the one year mark regardless of miles. For the included 3 oil changes (3 "years maintenance"), you have to follow the schedule or they won't cover it.
wait too long, skip an oil change, or get one out of network; and you'll risk losing it. Although in a $150k car, $600 worth of 3 year maintenance shouldn't be an issue.

Also the dealership and mechanic that you go to will get paid directly from BMW, so they all have a high incentive to get their bonus commissions. Pick any dealership that works for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 01:40 AM   #6
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Speaking of oil, for those who have had already their M850's first oil service, which oil does BMW use or recommend? I personally would only go for the 0W30 one but perhaps they use standard 5W30 unless you tell them otherwise? And/or what about a 0W40 oil? On my previous F06 series (NT63 engine), a 0W40 was by many considered the "best" oil you could feed your beast with. Some bmw dealers still offer it while many no longer do.
In Germany for example I could still find the good ol" Castrol 0W40 and the evergreen Mobil 1 also in 0W40 variant. But of course for warranty purpose I have to do this with BMW and "stick" their offerings. Still being an oil thread I would like to hear your thoughts.
Appreciate 0