M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8GC or M5

07-11-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

M8GC or M5

Hi everyone,

I have time to make this decision, but I keep going back and forth on this. I have a M5 now and I'm very happy with it. I sat in a M8GC and walked around it. The car seems to be bigger, and the back seat is smaller. I'm not too impressed with the dash and the appointing. IMO my M6GC was nicer in some ways.

So if anyone has one now coming out of a M5, is it worth it? It's considerably more money. I mod my cars and I suppose it's still too new to see what it will look like lowered with wheels and other adornments.

And, the new RS7 looks pretty hot too and is in the same price range....Yes yes, I know there's a thread on that, and I'm aware it's slower...But a simple flash can help with that.

Any insight is appreciated...
E36 M3 Avus
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

I'd play around with Audi's new touch MMI - try it while parked and try it again while moving/driving in traffic. I think it's a disaster.

I think the M5's interior is more impressive than the M8, but that's me
Appreciate 1
Pazzo0091110.00
      07-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazzo009 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have time to make this decision, but I keep going back and forth on this. I have a M5 now and I'm very happy with it. I sat in a M8GC and walked around it. The car seems to be bigger, and the back seat is smaller. I'm not too impressed with the dash and the appointing. IMO my M6GC was nicer in some ways.

So if anyone has one now coming out of a M5, is it worth it? It's considerably more money. I mod my cars and I suppose it's still too new to see what it will look like lowered with wheels and other adornments.

And, the new RS7 looks pretty hot too and is in the same price range....Yes yes, I know there's a thread on that, and I'm aware it's slower...But a simple flash can help with that.

There's no competition (pun intended ) to me--the M8 GC is in a different league. I've no idea why you'd say interior quality isn't a step up--it's the first thing I said and the first many of my M5-driving friends said, too. I had 2 x F90s and I loved them both. The way I feel about my M8 is so much more than that.

Why do you say it's too new? Mine was mod'd completely within 24 hours of owning it and many others have followed suit or gone another albeit similar direction.

The backseat is bigger for two--the middle seat paid a price but can be used for a short time if needs be. The car is far more taught--attributable to the carbon core.

Here are some pics (there's an entire build thread with my forum name in the title):
Attached Images

Last edited by limeypride; 07-11-2020 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post
I'd play around with Audi's new touch MMI - try it while parked and try it again while moving/driving in traffic. I think it's a disaster.
Agreed.

Quote:
I think the M5's interior is more impressive than the M8, but that's me
I can't even begin to understand why you'd say that, please elaborate.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:43 PM   #5
jh00@aol.com
Private
Rep
Drives: F90

I'm in the same boat as you. Had the RS7 and LoVeD it.... was afraid to leave and go to the M5 but figured I'd try it for 2 years as the new RS7 was still in the making... now it's time to shop again.... I'm a little disappointed that they haven't changed the performance on the RS7 even though the interior is gorgeous. I'm going M8GC because of that. I have also heard that the Audi controls are difficult to operate while driving.....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:44 PM   #6
jh00@aol.com
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone,

There's no competition (pun intended ) to me--the M8 GC is in a different league. I've no idea why you'd say interior quality isn't a step up--it's the first thing I said and the first many of my M5-driving friends said, too. I had 2 x F90s and I loved them both. The way I feel about my M8 is so much more than that.

Why do you say it's too new? Mine was mod'd completely within 24 hours of owning it and many others have followed suit or gone another albeit similar direction.

The backseat is bigger for two--the middle seat paid a price but can be used for a short time if needs be. The car is far more taught--attributable to the carbon core.

Here are some pics (there's an entire build thread with my forum name in the title):
Love that color!!! Is that the frozen bluestone metallic??
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 10:57 PM   #7
chador
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 GC Competition 2020

M8 = best bmw
Appreciate 1
limeypride4425.00
      07-11-2020, 11:17 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed.

"I think the M5's interior is more impressive than the M8, but that's me"

Absolutely agree as I had the opportunity to pick up a 2020 M5C in Singapore Gray Metallic and full Silverstone interior that had basically what I wanted from options, etc. It was at my dealer as I waited for my 2nd 2020 M850i coupe build to land and they were willing to deal on it as it was a spec car that had been in their inventory for for a couple of months.

I took my wife to see it (whom is not a car person whatsoever) with the only explanation is it would be cheaper than the M850i. We compared it to my 1st failed order which was still on their showroom floor and even my wife said the interior on the M850i was nicer. Granted with the M8s it ups it a notch with the diamond weave upholstery and just further adds to the superiority over the M5's interior.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2020, 12:06 AM   #9
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

You win with either of your options. Feel blessed that you make the choice.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2020, 12:33 AM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh00@aol.com View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Me, too. It's frozen dark silver.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #11
jh00@aol.com
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh00@aol.com View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Me, too. It's frozen dark silver.
Was thinking about getting the frozen bluestone metallic but now maybe rethinking to frozen dark silver.... does anyone have a side by side? What's everyone's opinions of the 2 colors?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:27 AM   #12
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:

Hi, thank you for your input.

I hope you're not offended for stating a subjective opinion. I sat in the M8GC and I wasn't wowed. It's still beautiful, don't get me wrong.

You and maybe 2 others are only ones I've seen modded. You did a great job btw. Looks awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
You win with either of your options. Feel blessed that you make the choice.
I am blessed and appreciate everything I have, but I'm simply trying to ascertain information to make a decision at a later time.
E36 M3 Avus
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #13
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

Quote:
Personal preference:

-M5 seats are beefier. I think they should have found a way to fit massagers in the 8. It's a $150+ gran touring car.
-M5 has more use of trim where as the M8 is just confined to the cupholder cover and the gearbox area. I would've expected them to utilize more trim inside like the M5, or even the S63. $1000 option to customize interior trim for very little in appearance difference is a minus in my book.
-I think the X3M and 7 series are using a similar layout, but the layout of the 8 series interior could/should have been more exclusive. Something about the layout being identical all the way down to the 2 series (in my eyes) makes the car feel less special. Sure there's higher quality leather, but they could have made it feel more special. The M5 interior stands out more to me.

Don't get me wrong, I like my M8, especially when it works, but for the price it's going for and what it stands for ("Flagship"), they should have done a lot more to make it stand out better.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      07-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #14
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Personal preference:

-M5 seats are beefier. I think they should have found a way to fit massagers in the 8. It's a $150+ gran touring car.
-M5 has more use of trim where as the M8 is just confined to the cupholder cover and the gearbox area. I would've expected them to utilize more trim inside like the M5, or even the S63. $1000 option to customize interior trim for very little in appearance difference is a minus in my book.
-I think the X3M and 7 series are using a similar layout, but the layout of the 8 series interior could/should have been more exclusive. Something about the layout being identical all the way down to the 2 series (in my eyes) makes the car feel less special. Sure there's higher quality leather, but they could have made it feel more special. The M5 interior stands out more to me.

Don't get me wrong, I like my M8, especially when it works, but for the price it's going for and what it stands for ("Flagship"), they should have done a lot more to make it stand out better.
Well said
E36 M3 Avus
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #15
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi, thank you for your input.
You're welcome.

Quote:
I hope you're not offended for stating a subjective opinion. I sat in the M8GC and I wasn't wowed. It's still beautiful, don't get me wrong.
Huh? I answered a question you posed--I'm not refuting an opinion so why on earth would you think I'm offended?

What a strange response...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Personal preference:
That's a good enough reason for me. We'll agree to differ then I guess.

Quote:
Agreed. This and the absence of a sunroof annoyed me no end but I got over it.

Quote:
-M5 has more use of trim where as the M8 is just confined to the cupholder cover and the gearbox area.
Here we differ. The M8's interior has more leather... by miles. More or less trim is design, not an upgrade--the leather looks far better to my eye.

Quote:
$1000 option to customize interior trim for very little in appearance difference is a minus in my book.
What are you referring to here? My car's trim and floor-to-ceiling leather is standard...as is the leather/aluminum shifter.

Quote:
The X3M isn't the same, the 7 kind of is. And agreed on the level of distinction between it and lower models--it's there but I also made similar comments when I first got the car. However, there's no world in which I felt either of my F90 interiors were superior (especially the shifter).

Quote:
Also agreed... though I've had no problems with it working which I'm inferring you have.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #17
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well said
FFS.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #18
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
. I've no idea why you'd say interior quality isn't a step up--i

Why do you say it's too new?

:
Quote:

Huh? I answered a question you posed--I'm not refuting an opinion so why on earth would you think I'm offended?

What a strange response...
Quote:
FFS.
Its text...but you sounded a bit butthurt

Then because I agree with another person on his articulate explanation about the interior, you wrote: For F*** sake

You seem immature or just a d---

But your car is very nice ....enjoy
E36 M3 Avus
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Personal preference:

Couldn't agree more on this point as it is the only thing I'm disappointed with in regards to the 8-series interior.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #20
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its text...but you sounded a bit butthurt

Then because I agree with another person on his articulate explanation about the interior, you wrote: For F*** sake

You seem immature or just a d---

But your car is very nice ....enjoy
That should be "It's"--sigh, Neanderthals. "Butthurt" really isn't a word, it's a make-believe thing used by juveniles and trolls... a troll in training in your case, I guess; noted.

You asked a question, I answered it.

FFS.

Last edited by limeypride; 07-12-2020 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #21
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Personal preference:

Couldn't agree more on this point as it is the only thing I'm disappointed with in regards to the 8-series interior.
I think you said you preferred the CF trim, remind me—why didn't you get it? Not available on M850s or something else?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #22
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

To have the luxury of choosing M5 or M8 GC is already a blessing of sorts. What a great problem to be confronted with. Yet M8 GC is a winner in my humble opinion.
Appreciate 0