M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 service--full SW update (version 11/19 --> 05/20)

05-06-2020, 11:20 PM   #1
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Per the subject, the car was updated today. The following are observations for folks concerned about updating or what the update delivers:
  • time expectation was set at 90 mins or so for SW updates
  • There were so many outdated modules, it took over 3 hours
  • End result --> everything so far is working
  • No new features discovered so far
  • User profile settings carried over 99% (oddities like personal assistant wake word were lost but little else)
  • All coding gone--> shrug, that's expected when you play outside the norm
  • All coding put back this evening --> no insurmountable issues
  • Fixes: the only one I've identified so far is the power window fix (didn't go all the way down in one force-click or all the way up... now it does)
  • No apps lost
  • No remote functionality lost
  • Voice response time slightly improved

Here's my list of coding retrofits. Note that this is my requested list—not the exhaustive list of what can be done—all were successful following the update:
- Enabled No Dazzle High Beam Assistance
- iDrive console display retains brightness regardless of ambient light conditions—always bright
- Deactivated double-horn (engine running) when locking
- Fixed passenger mirror tilt angle
- Close trunk from the FOB
- Disabled Legal Disclaimers
- Removed speed locks and distance restrictions placed when car is in motion:
-- playing media content (video in motion)
-- pairing a BT device
-- consulting the built-in owner's manual
-- consulting messages under Office
-- user guide
-- iDrive touch controller
- Set ventilated seats to spin the fans harder for all 3 positions

Last edited by limeypride; 05-07-2020 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport12906.00
Wolfman64811.50
      05-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

So no fix on the brightness from BMW?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
So no fix on the brightness from BMW?
Sadly, no. My buddy showed me the BMW bulletin that he thought had said it was fixed but, unfortunately, it was merely asking the service centers to provide feedback on how badly the tints are affecting the brightness. Sigh. It seems pretty obvious to me. :
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12906.00
      05-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Good list. Thanks!
What is the current software version?

Also, what brightness fix? Curious...

Edit: Nevermind. Reading the title would have helped

Last edited by Wolfman64; 05-07-2020 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #5
gustovier
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 840ix

What does the idrive touch controller coding give you?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Good list. Thanks!
What is the current software version?

Also, what brightness fix? Curious...

Edit: Nevermind. Reading the title would have helped

To be more specific on the brightness (and I'm pleased that at least I'm not alone given the bulletin I saw yesterday): sometime in the past few years, BMW removed manual brightness control over the iDrive console display replacing it with a small light sensor at the bottom left of the gauge cluster. The sensor feeds ambient lighting conditions to iDrive that in turn adjusts the brightness of the gauge cluster and console display. Prior to Live Cockpit, you could re-enable manual brightness control through a single line of coding—that stopped working as of my 2020 M5 and the same is true for my M8.

The problem: while it works well enough with non-tinted windows, it becomes close to illegible with them (I have 20% all around) since it perceives ambient lighting as darker and hence lowers the brightness in an effort to reduce glare. The result is a display that you have to stare at far longer to glean useful data from it—the map, for example. So in their infinite wisdom (term used unbelievably loosely), they successfully managed to achieve the precise opposite of what they set out to do. To add fuel to the fire, what the fuck was wrong with a manual brightness slider in the first place—STOP FIXING WHAT ISN'T BROKEN, BMW!
Appreciate 2
Wolfman64811.50
Ozzie8641.00
      05-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post
What does the idrive touch controller coding give you?
Apparently, there are scenarios where the touch surface of the knob is disabled. I wasn't aware of any but figured it can't hurt.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #8
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
What is no dazzle high beam assist?

Is that the feature when driving in non-built up areas with high beam on, it automatically changes to low beam when another car is approaching from the opposite direction?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #9
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
What is no dazzle high beam assist?

Is that the feature when driving in non-built up areas with high beam on, it automatically changes to low beam when another car is approaching from the opposite direction?
No, that's the standard auto-on/off feature. Anti-dazzle leaves the full beams on but shapes the beam that's illuminating your path such that vehicles in front of you and oncoming traffic are in... tunnels of darkness for want of a better description. It works unbelievably well but rarely have I managed to *fully* code it back in to my car (they de-code it and it's even listed on the build sheet as a de-code or disabled option).

This is the best video I've seen to explain what it does and how it works:

My assessment: it's freakin' awesome when it's fully enabled and literally looks like curtains of light opening around the vehicle in front of you.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      05-07-2020, 09:25 PM   #10
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Amazing! Did not even know about this. Right I'm off to check my car to see if I have this feature and whether I need to code.

Thanks man.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:45 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
No, that's the standard auto-on/off feature. Anti-dazzle leaves the full beams on but shapes the beam that's illuminating your path such that vehicles in front of you and oncoming traffic are in... tunnels of darkness for want of a better description. It works unbelievably well but rarely have I managed to *fully* code it back in to my car (they de-code it and it's even listed on the build sheet as a de-code or disabled option).

This is the best video I've seen to explain what it does and how it works:

My assessment: it's freakin' awesome when it's fully enabled and literally looks like curtains of light opening around the vehicle in front of you.
Indeed freakin' awesome and now I have a reason to get some coding done for anti-dazzle and a few of the others you pointed out in your original post. The irony being as my only night driving with the M850i in which I enabled high beams was truly amazing. It was on a mountain road with a split highway of great distance so the oncoming traffic was not an issue. However, I had a jack ass behind me running his high beams and the POS non-dimming passenger mirror became a serious issue.

I had two choices: 1) slow down and let the jack ass pass so they could get the amazing LED light show experience from behind or 2) just step on the gas and leave the jack ass behind. Obviously #2 was the chosen path and it was hilarious as the jack ass tried to keep up. We were already speeding so I'm sure he or she considered me the bird dog car and hence the attempt to keep up. It looked to be a Toyota Camry so when I stepped on the gas those brights just became a dot in the rear view mirror in less than 30 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:46 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Also good to know that 05/2020 is solid as I too have 11/2019 and in no way was going to do the upgrade to 03/2020 which has been an absolute shit show to-date.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      05-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #13
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I have 06(07)/19 I believe and would like to get the driver recorder, was going to plumb for 11/19 but if this is stable I will ask if I can update to this version.

I have the vision pack, do I not have this 'anti-dazzle' as part of that pack ?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #14
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar View Post
Thanks for the heads up on this.

I have 06(07)/19 I believe and would like to get the driver recorder, was going to plumb for 11/19 but if this is stable I will ask if I can update to this version.

I have the vision pack, do I not have this 'anti-dazzle' as part of that pack ?
It's approved for use in the UK, so you should have it. Just turn on auto high beams and it should do its magic. Check your window sticker (assuming that's a thing in the UK )--if it doesn't say something along the lines of "decode anti-dazzle", then you're good... oh wait, that assumes the car has it in the first place... sorry, lots of variables I can't answer here.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #15
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Very cool and useful ...of course it's not approved here

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Very cool and useful ...of course it's not approved here
I know; it's been years, too.

If you can get it working, it's well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #17
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

the anti-dazzle is a USA thing. and it makes a HUGE difference. I love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 01:12 PM   #18
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
the anti-dazzle is a USA thing. and it makes a HUGE difference. I love it.
What do you mean? Anti-dazzle hasn't been approved by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards body and is hence coded off of the car--the hardware remains in place, though, so--to a point--it can be coded back on again.

It's available in every other market, just not here for some reason. Here's my build sheet:
Attached Images

Last edited by limeypride; 05-09-2020 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #19
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think he means it's an issue with the US

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #20
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I think he means it's an issue with the US
Yes, and I got mine recoded to code. So I can use it in the USA. Here.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #21
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Indeed freakin' awesome and now I have a reason to get some coding done for anti-dazzle and a few of the others you pointed out in your original post. The irony being as my only night driving with the M850i in which I enabled high beams was truly amazing. It was on a mountain road with a split highway of great distance so the oncoming traffic was not an issue. However, I had a jack ass behind me running his high beams and the POS non-dimming passenger mirror became a serious issue.

I had two choices: 1) slow down and let the jack ass pass so they could get the amazing LED light show experience from behind or 2) just step on the gas and leave the jack ass behind. Obviously #2 was the chosen path and it was hilarious as the jack ass tried to keep up. We were already speeding so I'm sure he or she considered me the bird dog car and hence the attempt to keep up. It looked to be a Toyota Camry so when I stepped on the gas those brights just became a dot in the rear view mirror in less than 30 seconds.
We have the best and somewhat comical solution for tailgaters and those leaving high beams on blinding you from behind. Our daily beater and loaner for friends when they're in town is a '19 Caddy XTS. The car has a very powerful fan pattern spray windshield washer system than if held on and when at speed will absolutely soak the vehicle behind you, and they always back way off or pass. The expressions on the faces of these inconsiderate jokers is priceless when they get hosed...but their behavior is dangerous and needed to cease.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #22
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Yes, and I got mine recoded to code. So I can use it in the USA. Here.
Yes, I'm "here" as you say, too. Mine is also enabled... and like yours, to a point.

My goal was to clarify to folks that it's on their car but disabled. The way you described it sounded like it was either on by default or some option you choose and available in this market as part of the norm... hence my clarification.

WTF is "recoded to code"? // EDIT: do you perhaps mean re-coded to some US standard, i.e. "to code"? If so, as far as I know, it's being reviewed by the DOT but I haven't turned up anything that indicates it's passed muster. If it had, I'd imagine BMW would reduce their work and eliminate the whole de-coding BS... of course, they could just be slow.

Last edited by limeypride; 05-09-2020 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 1