M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion OTA Update 11/2019.70

06-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

OTA Update 11/2019.70

I just got an alert this was available. No idea what it does, especially given there appears to be newer versions.

I took the plunge and it's about 20% updated. Fingers and toes crossed.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

This makes perfect sense, in a BMW-software sort of way.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 09:29 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
I just got an alert this was available. No idea what it does, especially given there appears to be newer versions.

I took the plunge and it's about 20% updated. Fingers and toes crossed.
Still waiting for my push of 11/2019.70 as it appears it is a slow roll out by BMW vs all owners with the 11/2019 base in their 8-series. So far nobody has had issues with the OTA update to .70 as it is just a point release fixing some bugs from the earlier .5X release. Thus, you won't find any new functionality whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
I finally got the notice in the car (and then the phone) for the OTA update on a quick lunch time errand to the post office and back. Since I have the ConnectedDrive app to only download upgrades over WiFi that took place once I was back at the house. If memory serves the download was about 217MB and took 30 seconds or less to pull down. Then I got a prompt to connect the phone to the car WiFi in order to upload the upgrade to the car.

One lesson is that although once my Pixel was connected to the M850i's WiFi while parked in the garage with the engine off the ConnectedDrive app indicated the upload was in progress (it blinked the car icon as well). However, after way too long to upload 217MB and getting hot in the car with today's 95 degrees I started the car to kick in the AC. Well that actually kicked in the uploading to the car as well as the animation changed from just a blinking car to data transfer (represented in dots) and the car icon "filling" (1st picture).

So lesson learned the car needs to be running for the upgrade to be loaded from the phone. Even then it seemed to take a ridiculous amount of time for 217MB so I found that the progress can be monitored within iDrive (2nd picture). Once the upgrade is fully transferred you then get a prompt screen within iDrive to start the upgrade now or perform it later (3rd picture).

I missed getting a picture of the next screen after selecting to start the upgrade but basically it was a checklist including, key in the car, the car shut off, the car in Park, etc. but I was missing the parking brake on (somehow my Auto Hold) didn't recognize that with the car off so I just manually selected it which lit up all the check marks and moved to the next screen (4th picture) indicating the upgrade is eminent. Once the upgrade starts the iDrive screen is taken over with a progress indicator (5th picture).

The rest of the pictures are the release notes from the ConnectedDrive app. Caveat on the ConnectedDrive apps (I checked and DriveRecorder was missing, etc.) but they should download on my next drive or worse case the iDrive reboot option which will automatically pull them down in the process. A note for iOS users (I'm Android) as well as one specifically for our M8 brethren on how to handle the upgrade. Hope this helps anyone out there that also gets the 11/2019.70 OTA push.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #5
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Any changes evident post-update?
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #6
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
OzzyBnyd
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #7
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Any changes evident post-update?
I've not seen any changes. Some of the issues for which I've taken the car in to the dealer are still broken (but those are with some of the 'apps', perhaps not addressed with the update). I haven't had CarPlay drop issues after updating, but that could just be because I've not driven more than 30 minutes at a time. Beyond that, no idea what was changed and the release notes are no help.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 08:38 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
OzzyBnyd
It's my go to SiriusXM station when I'm board of the content on my SSD drive in the console or just want to hear some new material. Although it pales in comparison to the quality of the high resolution FLAC sources on the SSD it amazes me at how well it sounds on the B&W after painstakingly dialing in its configuration.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 06:43 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
I've not seen any changes. Some of the issues for which I've taken the car in to the dealer are still broken (but those are with some of the 'apps', perhaps not addressed with the update). I haven't had CarPlay drop issues after updating, but that could just be because I've not driven more than 30 minutes at a time. Beyond that, no idea what was changed and the release notes are no help.
No changes for me either outside of some of the apps (as per the release notes) being set to default settings. I didn't take a screenshot of the page of the release notes with a statement that it was for overall improvements (aka bug fixes). Rather I just took the screenshots of the pages outlining the notes on the process including the special consideration for the M8s and my favorite that if it bricks the car to call BMW roadside assistance.

What will be interesting is how BMW handles the Android Auto feature next month (assuming it doesn't get delayed due to COVID-19). In theory it can just be a push of the app similar to how the 2019s can get Drive Recorder now. The Android Auto announcement back in January stated that it will be fully integrated into the digital cockpit. If BMW has that API enabled and all existing apps leverage them so can the Android Auto app. Thus, in theory it can just be a push of the app vs point release or heaven forbid a full base release installed by the dealer. However, this is BMW whom appears to be software clueless so all bets are off. If its a dealer base install to get it I'll likely pass as even though I'm and Android user I'll likely never use it anyway.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 07-03-2020 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0