M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion So should I go for the M8 Comp Convertible?

07-21-2020, 12:40 PM   #1
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

So should I go for the M8 Comp Convertible?

I'm a car guy and love powerful cars. Nothing in my current stable has less than a V8. I just bought my wife an X6 M50i and I like the power, sound and tech. One of my cars is a 2017 MB AMG C63s Cabriolet that has the 4.0l twin turbo and has a tune. It's a beast and it hisses (blow off valves installed), smokes the tires and pops and crackles on overrun. I was all set to replace it with an AMG GTC Roaster that I spec'd and ordered in October of 2019. Come late January, I find out that MB is ceasing MY20 at the end of January and I would not be getting my car. Lot's of calls and emails and AMG would NOT bend. They were building all dealer cars for stock and many of them are dying on the lot.

This has turned me off to AMG and with the arrival of the X6, I'm thinking that maybe the M8 will fit the bill. There is one that I found fairly close to me that has 90% of what I want. It seems that discounts on these are in the 20%+ range. I've also learned on here that there will be no MY2021 coupes or convertibles, I assume due to poor sales for various reasons. So I'm concerned that this might be a 2 year run and that's it which could make resale very hard.

So I'm on the fence as to what to do. One option is to wait to see what AMG does with the redesigned SL and GTC that is supposed to have a mild hybrid drive train.

Let me know your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 819SF View Post
I'm a car guy and love powerful cars. Nothing in my current stable has less than a V8. I just bought my wife an X6 M50i and I like the power, sound and tech. One of my cars is a 2017 MB AMG C63s Cabriolet that has the 4.0l twin turbo and has a tune. It's a beast and it hisses (blow off valves installed), smokes the tires and pops and crackles on overrun. I was all set to replace it with an AMG GTC Roaster that I spec'd and ordered in October of 2019. Come late January, I find out that MB is ceasing MY20 at the end of January and I would not be getting my car. Lot's of calls and emails and AMG would NOT bend. They were building all dealer cars for stock and many of them are dying on the lot.

This has turned me off to AMG and with the arrival of the X6, I'm thinking that maybe the M8 will fit the bill. There is one that I found fairly close to me that has 90% of what I want. It seems that discounts on these are in the 20%+ range. I've also learned on here that there will be no MY2021 coupes or convertibles, I assume due to poor sales for various reasons. So I'm concerned that this might be a 2 year run and that's it which could make resale very hard.

So I'm on the fence as to what to do. One option is to wait to see what AMG does with the redesigned SL and GTC that is supposed to have a mild hybrid drive train.

Let me know your thoughts.
The choice here would be to lease and not to buy...
The M8 pricing is in loaded C63 or CLS53 model territory with BMW's super low MF (.00099) and still acceptable 54% residual. You could also go for a 2 year lease if bridging to the next AMG model.

We will likely go for the next SL73 which, as you stated, will be based on the next AMG GT platform. Unless it will be undesirable for one reason or another.

We do have an AMG GTC roadster and a M8 Competition coupe so its easy to compare how these cars perform.
I highly recommend the M8; a very fast and competent car. Lots of power and torque but you do feel the weight. In convertible form and sport plus the car will sound quite good. Nothing like our GTC though.

The cars weighs 800lbs more than the GTC. Fun factor goes to the AMG...
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      07-21-2020, 02:20 PM   #3
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the reply. After my GTC order was kicked back, I began thinking how it was probably for the best. In the C63s, I use the back seats just to hold stuff like a bag with leftovers after dinner or bags if I run to the store. In the GTC, there is no room behind the seats as you know. That is not a bad idea to look at a lease for two years. I did that in 2008 with a 135i convertible and a 6 speed. I installed a Juicebox 3, beat the snot out of it and gave it back.

I like sound and brutal acceleration and it seems that the M8 would fit that bill. This isn't a car I'd be looking to carve up the turns with.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #4
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

https://www.cars.com/research/compar...,USD00BMC912B0

I don't know if this link works but they have the same wheelbase. The M8 is a little heavier probably due to AWD and overall is 4" longer. Most other dimensions are very similar.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 05:49 PM   #5
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

Is 20% off a $164 MSRP plus $3000 in loyalty rebate realistic to ask?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:58 PM   #6
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Buy a 911
      07-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #7
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

I just can’t do it. I can’t get over the looks and the fact that there are so many running around. Never had a Porsche. I was considering a Gt3 touring with a manual but couldn’t do it.
Appreciate 2
LSM1118.00
Tenac4504.50
      07-24-2020, 01:36 AM   #8
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
The choice here would be to lease and not to buy...
The M8 pricing is in loaded C63 or CLS53 model territory with BMW's super low MF (.00099) and still acceptable 54% residual. You could also go for a 2 year lease if bridging to the next AMG model.

We will likely go for the next SL73 which, as you stated, will be based on the next AMG GT platform. Unless it will be undesirable for one reason or another.

We do have an AMG GTC roadster and a M8 Competition coupe so its easy to compare how these cars perform.
I highly recommend the M8; a very fast and competent car. Lots of power and torque but you do feel the weight. In convertible form and sport plus the car will sound quite good. Nothing like our GTC though.

The cars weighs 800lbs more than the GTC. Fun factor goes to the AMG...
You can't tell me they lease friggin C63 and CLS53 for M8 pricing? Are you kidding me? Those are kid cars....no offense, OP. Benz leasing has always sucked....
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 812Superfast View Post
Is 20% off a $164 MSRP plus $3000 in loyalty rebate realistic to ask?
Honestly I think you know the answer to that question.

There is a reason AMG and BMW stopped making high power convertible sports cars and coupes. And there is a reason why Bmw is offering 20+% off.

If you care about money, don't buy one; either one. But if you're looking for something else, you know how to spend your money and time. We can't help you there.

If the question, which is better: you've heard the answer above. The MB is more expensive but in some ways better. The BMW is more technology but it breaks, monthly subscription fees, doesn't code right, doesn't update and has lots of problems like with the Air Condition.
The Porsche 911 is the only car that you can track, daily driver, and still have a good resale values. But it's not for everyone, and it's still a VW.
The Ferrari and super cars are pricey but it's rare air up there and everything is ala carte.

It's probably all a personal choice. You have to pick what matters to you.
For me personally, I wanted a fun family car for my wife and kids. It's probably not going to work out that way for me; but that's not the car's fault.

As I approach my 40th birthday, all I can tell you is life is short and you have to do what makes you happy. But make a choice and stick with it. You can't look back and second guess yourself.

Appreciate 3
LSM1118.00
stein_325i25051.00
      07-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #10
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
I just can't do it. I can't get over the looks and the fact that there are so many running around. Never had a Porsche. I was considering a Gt3 touring with a manual but couldn't do it.
992 targa 4s looks pretty great to me. Or forthcoming 992 targa gts... standard 992 non s turbo cab..... the 992 looks phenomenal. I have one so I may be biased but the way it drives/feels etx is unmatched for the price

Discount wise of course the M8 and amg will have much much larger discounts but they also depreciate like pigs. 911 holds value well
      07-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #11
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post

There is a reason AMG and BMW stopped making high power convertible sports cars and coupes. And there is a reason why Bmw is offering 20+% off.

If you care about money, don't buy one; either one. But if you're looking for something else, you know how to spend your money and time. We can't help you there.

If the question, which is better: you've heard the answer above. The MB is more expensive but in some ways better. The BMW is more technology but it breaks, monthly subscription fees, doesn't code right, doesn't update and has lots of problems like with the Air Condition.
The Porsche 911 is the only car that you can track, daily driver, and still have a good resale values. But it's not for everyone, and it's still a VW.
The Ferrari and super cars are pricey but it's rare air up there and everything is ala carte.

For me personally, I wanted a fun family car for my wife and kids. It's probably not going to work out that way for me; but that's not the car's fault.

As I approach my 40th birthday, all I can tell you is life is short and you have to do what makes you happy. But make a choice and stick with it. You can't look back and second guess yourself.

A rather obtuse statement.

Outside of sharing a very few suv chassis' and being owned by VWAG- you just dont have any clue about Porsche do you? Have you ever owned a 911 or any variant? Tell me one VW in the sports car world that remotely comes close to a 911 in chassis and performance- I wont even bring up the GT cars LOL. I guess Bentley, Lamborghini, and Bugatti are just VW's too since VWAG owns them.

onfireX5
LSM
Funf6cyl
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
LSM1118.00
stein_325i25051.00
      07-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #12
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:

Outside of sharing a very few suv chassis' and being owned by VWAG- you just dont have any clue about Porsche do you? Have you ever owned a 911 or any variant? Tell me one VW in the sports car world that remotely comes close to a 911 in chassis and performance- I wont even bring up the GT cars LOL. I guess Bentley, Lamborghini, and Bugatti are just VW's too since VWAG owns them.

onfireX5
LSM
Funf6cyl
Quote:
I just can't do it. I can't get over the looks and the fact that there are so many running around. Never had a Porsche. I was considering a Gt3 touring with a manual but couldn't do it.
Quote:
Quote:

onfireX5
LSM
Funf6cyl
The OP clearly stated that he didn't want a Pcar.

Yes I can easily name a VW car better than the 911 and it's the Lamborghini aventador in all its forms, and even the Urus in most ways.

If he wants a Porsche, then the 911 is clearly the way to go. But he said he didn't.
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      07-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #13
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Also aren't you a BMW salesman? As a car dealer / salesman; shouldn't you be trying to sell BMW and not competition brands??

You're the worst salesman if you can't sell your own products.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #14
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The OP clearly stated that he didn't want a Pcar.

Yes I can easily name a VW car better than the 911 and it's the Lamborghini aventador in all its forms, and even the Urus in most ways.

If he wants a Porsche, then the 911 is clearly the way to go. But he said he didn't.
I never said he should get a Porsche and I read his posts- I was laughing at your logic (still am) about Porsche being a VW thats all. Your views on Lambo are clearly subjective and without fact. The Aventador is a great car but in many tests it doesnt hold a candle to a GT2RS.

Quote:
Also aren't you a BMW salesman? As a car dealer / salesman; shouldn't you be trying to sell BMW and not competition brands??

You're the worst salesman if you can't sell your own products.
You really are narrow but your posts have proven as such--- I dont work for any dealership or own one, I just own cars and understand them. I even helped you with your dire depreciation value issues and all that hoopla. And Im a car fan not just a BMW one and I speak from ownership.

Enjoy your car(s).
Appreciate 2
Wolfman64811.50
stein_325i25051.00
      07-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #15
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tell me one VW in the sports car world that remotely comes close to a 911 in chassis and performance- I wont even bring up the GT cars LOL. I guess Bentley, Lamborghini, and Bugatti are just VW's too since VWAG owns them. )
I can also easily name another VW that isnt on your list, the Audi r8. The R8 is very impressive.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #16
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I can also easily name another VW that isnt on your list, the Audi r8. The R8 is very impressive.

Its an Audi with zero chassis sharing with VW--- VWAG is the parent but no one will ever say that an R8 is a VW car. This is my point, the parent company doesnt make Porsche, Lambo, Bentley, a VW. Just because VW owns these brands means just that ownership but production, parts, chassis, performance, builds, etc are almost all unique to the individual brands. Now there are with few SUV chassis's that are shared but would you ever confuse an RSQ8 with a Urus? I surely would not.

My apologies for taking the thread off course too.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      07-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #17
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Its an Audi with zero chassis sharing with VW--- VWAG is the parent but no one will ever say that an R8 is a VW car. This is my point, the parent company doesnt make Porsche, Lambo, Bentley, a VW. Just because VW owns these brands means just that ownership but production, parts, chassis, performance, builds, etc are almost all unique to the individual brands. Now there are with few SUV chassis's that are shared but would you ever confuse an RSQ8 with a Urus? I surely would not.

My apologies for taking the thread off course too.
Listen, I came to help answer the OP questions and then your questions. However, I disagree that it doesn't matter about ownership.

I was a division 1 college athlete with a full scholarship. I was "paid" by the university, but I was still owned by the University that dictated what I and can't do, and controlled every aspect of life.

Even still I donated $12 Million to my school for their future generations and growth.

In the same way that Coke or Pepsi influence the products they own and distribute around the world. Just like McDonald's vs Burger King, ownership matters and 1 burger isnt the same as another burger.

I don't have any problems with VW, but a lot of my friends were caught up in the emission scandal and have a bad experience with Corporate.
For me, I have 3 rules: no lying, cheating, or stealing.
VW did violate the rules, but they paid the price. They probably could have handled it better but it what it is. I've bought VW for my family and will continue to do so.

Off the track, but many of our neighbors have the VW Atlas for their soccer mom and kids. They say they like it, but I've never driven one.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #18
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I won't continue to derail this tread; but ownership is owner. If I'm picking cotton on a plantation, I'm still owned by someone. Doesn't matter what "title" you or I has, it's still owned by someone holding company.
Some of the shit you type and services you offer to criminals here prove you are almost an idiot. How the fuck in this time do you come up with plantation and cotton picking. I suggest you digress.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
      07-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #19
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:

Isn't Vic's sig clear enough?
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2020, 01:31 PM   #20
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:

Isn't Vic's sig clear enough?
he's just mad because I make more money than him and I retired before he could.
Everybody hates the 1%, except those that work hard and make a good living.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #21
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
he's just mad because I make more money than him and I retired before he could.
Everybody hates the 1%, except those that work hard and make a good living.
Oh here we go---- the retired racist attorney who cries about depreciation. You really are a pathetic member; I dont know you and you surely dont know me so lets leave it at that. Go offer your services to some hit and run idiot.

I sleep just well at night.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      07-24-2020, 02:11 PM   #22
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just for you: https://www.facebook.com/6863782906/...0185497162907/