M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850ix Software Update - A Tragedy in Multiple Acts

03-20-2020, 07:31 PM   #23
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Van_bimmer respect your views. But in my part of the world the car is $300,000 and I don't quite see it as a first world problem. More as a basic missing feature. Do I still love the car, love driving the car and love that I bought the car - yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
300k, that's nuts. how does a Rolls Royce or Ferrari cost?

is it because you don't have any taxes, so they tax the imported cars? or just a bmw tax? income or sales taxes?
$300K? Holy crap! I've always appreciated your postings and insights on the M850i as I learned a lot from them prior to placing my order. However, now I can only say that you are way more invested in the car than us folks in the US and to the point of this thread BMW needs to get their proverbial shit together when it comes to iDrive software updates.

No questions asked the M850i is an amazing driving experience but the full customer experience includes updating/enhancing the Infortainment system. If every time that takes place the customer is impacted that means BMW fails and that my friends is not a 1st world problem but a lack of BMW's focus on customer obsession.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 04-06-2020 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 3
Ozzie8641.00
      03-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #24
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I could not agree more with earlier comments. There has to be a way in 21st century to preserve certain settings after iDrive updates. I backup all settings via driver profile before dropping off the car at the dealer. I just don't know what is being backed up and what isn't.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #25
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
I could not agree more with earlier comments. There has to be a way in 21st century to preserve certain settings after iDrive updates. I backup all settings via driver profile before dropping off the car at the dealer. I just don't know what is being backed up and what isn't.
Absolutely spot on commentary as with iDrive 7 the driver profile is actually controlled by the ConnectedDrive "cloud" vs local in iDrive 6. The caveat is BMW has not figured out how to preserve the settings of the car within the "cloud" although the car constantly communicates with it while driving plus a sync once the engine is shut off. I equate this similar to both Apple's iOS and Android fully backing up device and applications to their clouds. BMW can take a lesson from that but apparently they are clueless to do so.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #26
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Absolutely spot on commentary as with iDrive 7 the driver profile is actually controlled by the ConnectedDrive "cloud" vs local in iDrive 6. The caveat is BMW has not figured out how to preserve the settings of the car within the "cloud" although the car constantly communicates with it while driving plus a sync once the engine is shut off. I equate this similar to both Apple's iOS and Android fully backing up device and applications to their clouds. BMW can take a lesson from that but apparently they are clueless to do so.
Dude--they've not figured out how to separate state from binary versions? ... if that's true, we should all stop driving their cars immediately and fear for our lives.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:39 PM   #27
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Ferrari you say, from the web today, new car:

2019 Ferrari GTC4Lusso Auto 4RM
$643,648
Drive Away
wow. sound like you have a bunch of factors making those cars pricey!!!

I'm glad you get to enjoy the premium BMW, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!!
you've definitely earned it at those prices!!
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      03-20-2020, 09:17 PM   #28
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Dude--they've not figured out how to separate state from binary versions? ... if that's true, we should all stop driving their cars immediately and fear for our lives.
Absolutely LOL!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:18 PM   #29
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Absolutely LOL!
Having been in the software business for along time (former CTO, now CEO), I will help BMW to implement the above - and more - at no charge.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      03-20-2020, 10:36 PM   #30
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Having been in the software business for along time (former CTO, now CEO), I will help BMW to implement the above - and more - at no charge.
Same story here with CTO gigs at two Fortune 100 companies but now semi-retired with a similar gig at a medical payer. limeypride is in the same boat with extensive software/technology leadership delivery in his career. Bottom line is BMW is just flat out clueless and as the idiom states "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink".
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      03-20-2020, 10:43 PM   #31
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Same story here with CTO gigs at two Fortune 100 companies but now semi-retired with a similar gig at a medical payer. limeypride is in the same boat with extensive software/technology leadership delivery in his career. Bottom line is BMW is just flat out clueless and as the idiom states "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink".
We ought to get together (via Zoom of course) and develop a proposal for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:57 PM   #32
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm totally up for that. Irony being I'm in the middle of dragging a legacy HIPAA mindset to the modern age of telecommuting. I'm working closely with our CISO as PHI is not involved in 98% of our use cases for our now mandated WFH policy. In those rare occasions we are targeting MS Teams as we have a BAA in place for that need. Outside sales calls, etc. are focusing on Zoom.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 11:36 PM   #33
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nice idea!

Suggested heading for said proposal:

'WTF up BMW!'

... where WTF works almost equally as "what the f#ck" or "wake the f#ck". I personally prefer the latter.

PS: Teams is gonna win this one...
Appreciate 3
Ozzie8641.00
r33_RGSport12801.50
      03-26-2020, 01:47 PM   #34
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
- She comes back on the line. Says she has written up the ticket. Give it seven to 10 days. I make believe that I believe that someone will actually act on the ticket. I ask her for the ticket number (again, I've been through this before). I get the ticket number.

- We bid each other farewell.

- At that moment, a BMW email arrives confirming that a ticket has been sent to someone somewhere and everything will be just peachy.

- I look carefully at the email. The ticket was written for the VIN of a car I haven't owned since last May.

I have no real hope that the apps ever will re-appear. So long as Assisters and Geniuses don't mess up my Connected Drive phone app functionality and in-car Wi-Fi, I don't think I care anymore.

And...curtain.
And...we're back!

Remember that part where she wrote up the ticket - for a car I haven't had since last May? Well, that day, that car re-appeared in my ConnectedDrive phone app. It was in West Palm Beach, apparently on a dealer's lot. I'm 425 miles from West Palm Beach.

I did the right thing - I deleted it from my account (again).

Well, an email just arrived from BMW. They added that car AGAIN to my ConnectedDrive account and phone app. It's still in West Palm Beach; I'm still not in West Palm Beach.

I just deleted it again (but, this time, just for fun, I remotely honked the horn twice).

Also, I still don't have the right apps in my actual right car.

It's an unending comedy of errors, except for the comedy part.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 03-26-2020 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00
      03-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #35
BranoMW
Enlisted Member
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: M850i First Edition, F16 40d

Quote:
Intersting, it appears that technology people do like BMWs (I am also CTO driving sw & hw R&D; receivers and spectrum analyzers) :-).

And yes, this udate has an elementary flaws, QC negligence!

Last edited by BranoMW; 03-26-2020 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #36
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
- She comes back on the line. Says she has written up the ticket. Give it seven to 10 days. I make believe that I believe that someone will actually act on the ticket. I ask her for the ticket number (again, I've been through this before). I get the ticket number.

- We bid each other farewell.

- At that moment, a BMW email arrives confirming that a ticket has been sent to someone somewhere and everything will be just peachy.

- I look carefully at the email. The ticket was written for the VIN of a car I haven't owned since last May.

I have no real hope that the apps ever will re-appear. So long as Assisters and Geniuses don't mess up my Connected Drive phone app functionality and in-car Wi-Fi, I don't think I care anymore.

And...curtain.
And...we're back!

Remember that part where she wrote up the ticket - for a car I haven't had since last May? Well, that day, that car re-appeared in my ConnectedDrive phone app. It was in West Palm Beach, apparently on a dealer's lot. I'm 425 miles from West Palm Beach.

I did the right thing - I deleted it from my account (again).

Well, an email just arrived from BMW. They added that car AGAIN to my ConnectedDrive account and phone app. I just deleted it again (but, this time, just for fun, I remotely honked the horn twice).

Also, I still don't have the right apps in my actual right car.

It's an unending comedy of errors, except for the comedy part.
This is what many call Provisioning 101. The basic concepts of provisioning haven't changed since the day 3420 tape drives began to spin.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 06:44 PM   #37
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is what many call Provisioning 101. The basic concepts of provisioning haven't changed since the day 3420 tape drives began to spin.
LMAO as so true. When I landed at the new gig last August and went through the absolute shit show of user provisioning into our ecosystem I immediately fired up a campaign to right the wrongs in place. It was near comical as I dealt with all the leaders in the spaces impacted, e.g., HR, IT IAM, etc. as they could not see the "problem" that I was describing. Wind the clock forward to early December that shit show is now nearly 98% automated and the HR leader personally thanked me for driving up our new employee satisfaction.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #38
CarPhanatic
Rep
Drives: M850i 2019 coupe

same issue here, lost embedded apps

I had the EXACT experience as op
Took in for service got the most updated 3/20 software to fix the rear camera.

All of the embedded connected apps in the car are gone, with the exception of two, bmw assist and personal assistant.

Call bmw assist, went through same procedures (which I had already done)
-hard reset
-clicking on the connect symbol in the car, then pressing the option button, and then selected update apps

Called again, prior person said he'd make a note in the computer so the next person would know what is going on , of course they did NOT have any information from prior calls, so starting from square 1, and ugh, really frustrating

Finally, they said I need to take back to dealer, and tell them to do a
TSARA ticket

I have no f'n clue what that is, but genius seems to think it was a problem that dealer initiated (although I'm suspicious and I think this is all just garbage software, and we will have to wait for update, we'll see)
I'll have dealer look at it, but not holding my breath
cheers
Dr. H

Last edited by CarPhanatic; 03-28-2020 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #39
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

The "geniuses" aren't. During my recent adventure, one told me that they're just there to help customers make routine adjustments to the car's features or in the apps, if the customers have apps, which CarPhanatic and I don't.

They can't even write up a ticket for further work. They send you back to BMW Assist for that.

Nearly certain that this has nothing to do with the dealers and is another BMW software failure, given that we're now 2 for 2 with the latest software update.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #40
GKW
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i, 22 Alpina B8

Quote:
The "geniuses" aren't. During my recent adventure, one told me that they're just there to help customers make routine adjustments to the car's features or in the apps, if the customers have apps, which CarPhanatic and I don't.

They can't even write up a ticket for further work. They send you back to BMW Assist for that.

Nearly certain that this has nothing to do with the dealers and is another BMW software failure, given that we're now 2 for 2 with the latest software update.
Quote:

Adding another voice to this thread. Same exact story. Recall done on 3/17, phone needed to be reconnected to WiFi, but all apps gone but those std two. Deleted app on phone, locked the car and waited a few hours for another OTA update, tried again and same result. BMW assist on the phone seems to have never heard of this problem. "doesn't know what the dealer did to my car". At first suggests that I return to the dealer until I remind him that there is no way I am going back to the dealer to have someone who knows less than I do about the car paw around the controls to come up empty.

He assures me that this is now escalated to IT(?) and that I will hear in 7-10 BUSINESS days!! I said, "what could possibly take 2 weeks for someone to get back to me??". This is not a Toyota Yaris, I would expect a better response. There is clearly a problem here and I wish I had read this thread before bringing it in for the "recall". My backup cam was working just fine, thank you. BTW - phone app working again fine.

Let's keep this thread active and on point until there is an actual fix.

GW
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2020, 08:43 PM   #41
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKW View Post
Adding another voice to this thread. Same exact story. Recall done on 3/17, phone needed to be reconnected to WiFi, but all apps gone but those std two. Deleted app on phone, locked the car and waited a few hours for another OTA update, tried again and same result. BMW assist on the phone seems to have never heard of this problem. "doesn't know what the dealer did to my car". At first suggests that I return to the dealer until I remind him that there is no way I am going back to the dealer to have someone who knows less than I do about the car paw around the controls to come up empty.

He assures me that this is now escalated to IT(?) and that I will hear in 7-10 BUSINESS days!! I said, "what could possibly take 2 weeks for someone to get back to me??". This is not a Toyota Yaris, I would expect a better response. There is clearly a problem here and I wish I had read this thread before bringing it in for the "recall". My backup cam was working just fine, thank you. BTW - phone app working again fine.

GW
Welcome to B&W Assist and yep any ticket to the back-end IT aka the Connected Cloud is a 7 to 10 day (or frankly a non-existent event to several of us 8-series owners experiences). Thankfully my dealers techs somehow figured out that the "@" sign in my password (which worked for 6 weeks) was causing my Connected Drive problems. If I had to rely on BMW Assist I'd still be looking for assistance (pun intended).

Thankfully with my 2020 M850i coupe there is not a recall program for the rear camera so I should not be forced to upgrade from my 11/2019.55 iDrive release anytime soon. To the point of this thread for all those with 2019s I wouldn't do the recall until BMW gets their proverbial shit together as the 03/2020.30 release obviously has some serious issues.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #42
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKW View Post

GW
Absolutely, let's do that. And if any of us recover our apps, let's closely question the techs or whoever and share with each other exactly what they did to conjure up that magic.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      04-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #43
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Until today, I considered being rendered in-car app-less by BMW’s software “engineers” as just an annoyance without much consequence.

But, this morning, I used my phone’s ConnectedDrive app to send a navi destination to the car and realized: It’s going to an app I no longer have insofar as BMW Messages and another app, I believe it was labeled Connected Drive, are among the newly missing.

I couldn’t find any other location in iDrive 7 that seems to receive navi destinations from the ConnectedDrive phone app. Anyone?

Last edited by redhot47fla; 04-06-2020 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #44
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Until today, I considered being rendered in-car app-less by BMW’s software “engineers” as just an annoyance without much consequence.

But, this morning, I used my phone’s ConnectedDrive app to send a navi destination to the car and realized: It’s going to an app I no longer have insofar as BMW Messages and another app, I believe it was labeled Connected Drive, are among the newly missing.

I couldn’t find any other location in iDrive 7 that seems to receive Navi destinations from the ConnectedDrive phone app. Anyone?
The Nav's left menu used to have a Received Destinations option but doesn't any longer. So I thought, "ah, perhaps it's turned off under the Personalized menus". So I went there. Sure enough, Received Destinations is still there and already turned on. So I turned it off and back on again. Nada.

Fuckin' ay BMW—you need to sort your shit out. :
Appreciate 0