M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Digital key

07-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Digital key

So I know I'm the only one that's had it for a full year, but since I tried it and found my digital key subscription had expired, I couldn't open the doors.
I went to the app and couldn't add a year for $$&&.

Has anyone else tried to renew their digital key and been UNABLE to do so?!

I know I'm the only one that uses a digital key and a display key, but i prefer them over the standard key fobs. My display key still works, it's just the digital that I can't use.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:05 AM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Just for clarity are you referring to the NFC digital key credit card? I just checked the Connected Drive portal and my digital key (only have the credit card as my Google Pixel 3XL is not supported for an Android device) expires on 12/9/2021 which is a year from delivery. It also notes that extending the service can only be done within 3 month prior to expiry.

As in all things software related BMW is seemingly absolutely clueless. Thus, I suspect that given your subscription has expired they did not have the sense to build in the logic for the Connected Drive portal to resubscribe to a service after it has fully expired. This is eCommerce 101 yet as BMW has well proven to date they cannot fight their way out of a paper bag when it comes to living in the digital everything era. limeypride whom has also built an entire career in the world of IT and software competency should get a chuckle out of yet another BMW software faux pas.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      07-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Just for clarity are you referring to the NFC digital key credit card? I just checked the Connected Drive portal and my digital key (only have the credit card as my Google Pixel 3XL is not supported for an Android device) expires on 12/9/2021 which is a year from delivery. It also notes that extending the service can only be done within 3 month prior to expiry.

As in all things software related BMW is seemingly absolutely clueless. Thus, I suspect that given your subscription has expired they did not have the sense to build in the logic for the Connected Drive portal to resubscribe to a service after it has fully expired. This is eCommerce 101 yet as BMW has well proven to date they cannot fight their way out of a paper bag when it comes to living in the digital everything era. limeypride whom has also built an entire career in the world of IT and software competency should get a chuckle out of yet another BMW software faux pas.
yes, yes and yes. as always you read my mind. I let mine expire and now I can't get it back.

I use that black plastic credit card NFC digital key card, but also now that I saw Apple iPhone would be able to use - I was going to add that since my family has 5 newer iPhones and we could all "have a key". Although I'm not sure anyone besides me will ever get back in the car.

even for just me, using the small black card in my wallet means I don't need to carry any keys, which is nice sometimes. wallet and phones is lighter on the pockets than a bulky display key that I forget to charge up sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
yes, yes and yes. as always you read my mind. I let mine expire and now I can't get it back.

I use that black plastic credit card NFC digital key card, but also now that I saw Apple iPhone would be able to use - I was going to add that since my family has 5 newer iPhones and we could all "have a key". Although I'm not sure anyone besides me will ever get back in the car.

even for just me, using the small black card in my wallet means I don't need to carry any keys, which is nice sometimes. wallet and phones is lighter on the pockets than a bulky display key that I forget to charge up sometimes.
I bet if you call them they can reactivate it with a payment over the phone. You might want to wait though especially given the thought process for doing so is in regards to the recently released iOS Connected Drive app supporting the digital key function. Based on the press releases and the notes within the Apple store for version 10.8 the digital key will only work with if the car was manufactured after July 1st 2020. For now we don't know if that truly means new NFC hardware is rolling out or there is a new iDrive release supporting it this month. Only time will tell but 10.8 definitely does not recognize digital key being supported on my M850i as it stands today.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 11:46 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I bet if you call them they can reactivate it with a payment over the phone. You might want to wait though especially given the thought process for doing so is in regards to the recently released iOS Connected Drive app supporting the digital key function. Based on the press releases and the notes within the Apple store for version 10.8 the digital key will only work with if the car was manufactured after July 1st 2020. For now we don't know if that truly means new NFC hardware is rolling out or there is a new iDrive release supporting it this month. Only time will tell but 10.8 definitely does not recognize digital key being supported on my M850i as it stands today.
yeah I'll wait and I certainly don't want to upgrade (ie downgrade) my software with all the problems and reduce engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 12:28 AM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yeah I'll wait and I certainly don't want to upgrade (ie downgrade) my software with all the problems and reduce engine.
Totally agree as the digital key is somewhat useless until the 3.0 standard comes out (separate thread on that) which will enable the equivalent of proximity of a key fob vs literally touch requirements with 2.0. We'll never see 3.0 in our existing 8-series as that is an entirely new solution so I'm sticking with my 11/2019.70 iDrive release which works flawlessly vs taking a risk on upgrading and introducing sound control on the exhaust, etc. for the sake of a novelty with an iPhone digital key.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 07:58 AM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Totally agree as the digital key is somewhat useless until the 3.0 standard comes out (separate thread on that) which will enable the equivalent of proximity of a key fob vs literally touch requirements with 2.0. We'll never see 3.0 in our existing 8-series as that is an entirely new solution so I'm sticking with my 11/2019.70 iDrive release which works flawlessly vs taking a risk on upgrading and introducing sound control on the exhaust, etc. for the sake of a novelty with an iPhone digital key.
Yeah, to be honest I was surprised you even risked upgrading to .70 from your.55 or .45.
Appreciate 0