M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Brand new M8CompConv with A/C compressor failure on delivery

07-08-2020, 07:06 PM   #23
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW i8 and '17 AMG S63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020MateCab View Post
Has anyone got a copy of the notice that has been sent to the dealers?
I haven't but will ask

2019 i8 Roadster - White
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:31 PM   #24
bloozemanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post
I agree. It is strange
It's all about the sale and unfortunately that is what your dealer was focused on. Totally agree that other issues (including the earlier transmission wiring harness impacting the M8s) have ended up with full stop orders at manufacturing and the VPC. In this case it appears that BMW is turning a blind eye to the situation considering it is not a safety situation like the transmission wiring harness was.

On another thread discussing the situation one of the OPs was also in TX. I checked TX law and unfortunately there is no 3-day cooling off period for automobile purchases just like here in AZ. Otherwise I'd just recommend null and voiding the purchase. Following the Lemon Law rules (same across all states) you can still walk away and have BMW buy the car back if you just hammer them with multiple attempts to get the AC fixed over the next several weeks.

That of course is unless it was a custom order, etc. that you want to hold onto vs picking up another M8C convertible in the future once BMW fully resolves the issue. In that case I'd make sure your dealer provides an appropriate loaner while the M8C sits on the sidelines.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 05:54 PM   #25
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW i8 and '17 AMG S63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
I agree. It is strange
It's all about the sale and unfortunately that is what your dealer was focused on. Totally agree that other issues (including the earlier transmission wiring harness impacting the M8s) have ended up with full stop orders at manufacturing and the VPC. In this case it appears that BMW is turning a blind eye to the situation considering it is not a safety situation like the transmission wiring harness was.

On another thread discussing the situation one of the OPs was also in TX. I checked TX law and unfortunately there is no 3-day cooling off period for automobile purchases just like here in AZ. Otherwise I'd just recommend null and voiding the purchase. Following the Lemon Law rules (same across all states) you can still walk away and have BMW buy the car back if you just hammer them with multiple attempts to get the AC fixed over the next several weeks.

That of course is unless it was a custom order, etc. that you want to hold onto vs picking up another M8C convertible in the future once BMW fully resolves the issue. In that case I'd make sure your dealer provides an appropriate loaner while the M8C sits on the sidelines.
Update - my dealer says they have 8 cars in the same exact situation. Sounds like mine is one of the few where the a/c failed literally while driving off the lot after purchase - others failed over the first few hundred miles. (Apparently M8's and X5M's)

What he told me is that if the parts needed / ordered are not in within next few days, they are going to take the needed parts out of another new m8 in stock to address the issue and get mine working.

Should I be ok with that?

2019 i8 Roadster - White
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 07:34 PM   #26
redhot47fla
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M850ix convertible and X4

Quote:

What he told me is that if the parts needed / ordered are not in within next few days, they are going to take the needed parts out of another new m8 in stock to address the issue and get mine working.

I don't see a downside there at all - assuming that THOSE parts are not also defective. It seems like a reasonably customer-friendly thing to do, and I would give it a try.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #27
Ozzie8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 m850i Coupe

That is a good recovery from your dealer - not sure I buy the fail on drive out - but you will know them and be able to judge. We've seen other posts in different thread that suggested it was a batch of components, so if the 8 they are removing the components from are also impacted it could be a waste of time. So are they able to thoroughly test the components to be removed before they are transplanted into yours?
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #28
bloozemanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Update - my dealer says they have 8 cars in the same exact situation. Sounds like mine is one of the few where the a/c failed literally while driving off the lot after purchase - others failed over the first few hundred miles. (Apparently M8's and X5M's)

Unless they already had some parts on order for the other cars which failed before yours most have stated it takes a few weeks to get the parts. That was my experience as well when I had some parts ordered for my M850i by my dealer to erase a faux pas BMW made on my custom order. I would definitely not hesitate to at least have them try to swap the parts from the other M8 in stock assuming they know the build month is not similar to yours or the X5Ms, etc. which failed as well.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 11:50 PM   #29
Resjudicata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

yeah it can't hurt, worst case you bring it back for the new part when the ship comes in.
Appreciate 1