M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Brand new M8CompConv with A/C compressor failure on delivery

07-08-2020, 07:06 PM   #23
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020MateCab View Post
Has anyone got a copy of the notice that has been sent to the dealers?
I haven't but will ask

2021 M8 Competition - Frozen Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:31 PM   #24
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post
I agree. It is strange
It's all about the sale and unfortunately that is what your dealer was focused on. Totally agree that other issues (including the earlier transmission wiring harness impacting the M8s) have ended up with full stop orders at manufacturing and the VPC. In this case it appears that BMW is turning a blind eye to the situation considering it is not a safety situation like the transmission wiring harness was.

On another thread discussing the situation one of the OPs was also in TX. I checked TX law and unfortunately there is no 3-day cooling off period for automobile purchases just like here in AZ. Otherwise I'd just recommend null and voiding the purchase. Following the Lemon Law rules (same across all states) you can still walk away and have BMW buy the car back if you just hammer them with multiple attempts to get the AC fixed over the next several weeks.

That of course is unless it was a custom order, etc. that you want to hold onto vs picking up another M8C convertible in the future once BMW fully resolves the issue. In that case I'd make sure your dealer provides an appropriate loaner while the M8C sits on the sidelines.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 05:54 PM   #25
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
I agree. It is strange
It's all about the sale and unfortunately that is what your dealer was focused on. Totally agree that other issues (including the earlier transmission wiring harness impacting the M8s) have ended up with full stop orders at manufacturing and the VPC. In this case it appears that BMW is turning a blind eye to the situation considering it is not a safety situation like the transmission wiring harness was.

On another thread discussing the situation one of the OPs was also in TX. I checked TX law and unfortunately there is no 3-day cooling off period for automobile purchases just like here in AZ. Otherwise I'd just recommend null and voiding the purchase. Following the Lemon Law rules (same across all states) you can still walk away and have BMW buy the car back if you just hammer them with multiple attempts to get the AC fixed over the next several weeks.

That of course is unless it was a custom order, etc. that you want to hold onto vs picking up another M8C convertible in the future once BMW fully resolves the issue. In that case I'd make sure your dealer provides an appropriate loaner while the M8C sits on the sidelines.
Update - my dealer says they have 8 cars in the same exact situation. Sounds like mine is one of the few where the a/c failed literally while driving off the lot after purchase - others failed over the first few hundred miles. (Apparently M8's and X5M's)

What he told me is that if the parts needed / ordered are not in within next few days, they are going to take the needed parts out of another new m8 in stock to address the issue and get mine working.

Should I be ok with that?

2021 M8 Competition - Frozen Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 07:34 PM   #26
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:

What he told me is that if the parts needed / ordered are not in within next few days, they are going to take the needed parts out of another new m8 in stock to address the issue and get mine working.

I don't see a downside there at all - assuming that THOSE parts are not also defective. It seems like a reasonably customer-friendly thing to do, and I would give it a try.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #27
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
That is a good recovery from your dealer - not sure I buy the fail on drive out - but you will know them and be able to judge. We've seen other posts in different thread that suggested it was a batch of components, so if the 8 they are removing the components from are also impacted it could be a waste of time. So are they able to thoroughly test the components to be removed before they are transplanted into yours?
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #28
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Update - my dealer says they have 8 cars in the same exact situation. Sounds like mine is one of the few where the a/c failed literally while driving off the lot after purchase - others failed over the first few hundred miles. (Apparently M8's and X5M's)

Unless they already had some parts on order for the other cars which failed before yours most have stated it takes a few weeks to get the parts. That was my experience as well when I had some parts ordered for my M850i by my dealer to erase a faux pas BMW made on my custom order. I would definitely not hesitate to at least have them try to swap the parts from the other M8 in stock assuming they know the build month is not similar to yours or the X5Ms, etc. which failed as well.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 11:50 PM   #29
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

yeah it can't hurt, worst case you bring it back for the new part when the ship comes in.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2020, 05:33 AM   #30
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

2017 C63S compressor failed 1 mile after delivered. 2020 X6 M 50i compressor failed day after delivery.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2020, 11:56 AM   #31
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 812Superfast View Post
2017 C63S compressor failed 1 mile after delivered. 2020 X6 M 50i compressor failed day after delivery.
seems to be a common problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #32
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Interesting that the M8 'owned' by Shmee150 has the same AC issue.

M
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 08:38 PM   #33
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I would not be ok with the dealer just taking the compressor out of another car knowing what I know now.

I was the guy that posted the thread on the X5M forum where my 5 days old X5M with 200 miles ac failed completely on the day I had tints done. (Tints = can’t open windows for 2-3 days :O )

Imagine how that went with my wife and kids in my very expensive brand new car in the middle of summer.

Go check out my thread for more details but the dealership tech kept me informed the whole time and what he told me was that this has been escalated to the highest levels over at bmw and they have a bulletin for all service departments regarding the issue and how to address it. They recommend swapping out the ac compressor, condenser and expansion value to make sure there is no metal shavings from the failed compressor remains in the system causing issues. The reason why i wouldn’t trust getting another compressor from another car is because supposedly BMW changed something with all the compressors they are shipping to fix this issue. It has the same part number but the “index number” has changed indicating something has changed internally. This is what my tech told me because i expressed concern that what if this happens again down the road. I just got my X5M back and the AC is operating perfectly. If it fails again I’m going straight for buy back. My car has already been out of commission for over a month during the hottest time of the year. Completely ruining the new car experience for me and the family.

Also you guys should call bmwna and ask for compensation. There is no way they are expecting people to just swallow paying for something that isn’t usable.

Alan
Appreciate 0