M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion USB drop outs

07-04-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
USB drop outs

My music is sourced from a USB connected drive. Prior to the last software update this worked perfectly. Since my last update I experience drop outs when I stop and then re-start my car, in that the last track that I was playing prior to switching off my car does not play when I re-start.

I can see the track information and graphics on the screen, just no sound. This requires me to go back into the menu and select the USB drive and then it begins to play the last track again.

Anyone else experiencing this - any further insights?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
My music is sourced from a USB connected drive. Prior to the last software update this worked perfectly. Since my last update I experience drop outs when I stop and then re-start my car, in that the last track that I was playing prior to switching off my car does not play when I re-start.

I can see the track information and graphics on the screen, just no sound. This requires me to go back into the menu and select the USB drive and then it begins to play the last track again.

Anyone else experiencing this - any further insights?
Haven't used the SSD in my console via the USB 2.0 port since my upgrade to 11/2019.70 so will give it a shot this evening and see if I encounter similar issues.

Update: Just took the car for a cruise around the major loop in our neighborhood and back to the house. Step 1 was to fire it up in Sport Plus just to toy with the neighbors and relish in the exhaust sound track. Step 2 was to fire up Rush's Freewill in glorious 24-bit/96kHz from their master audio release several years back and set the B&W to 50% and I was on my way. With the B&W at 50% the fabricated engine sounds were nullified by Freewill but I could still hear the exhaust magic as the car downshifted for the speed bumps, etc. on the loop.

For the test I initially parked the car in the driveway and fully exited to shut down the iDrive. I waited about 10 minutes and then went back out to pull the car into the garage. On firing it up the remaining minute or so of Freewill played instantaneously. If memory serves you have a 03/2020 install and once again its shit show has likely another bug introduced via USB storage playback.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 07-04-2020 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      07-04-2020, 11:20 PM   #3
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Thanks really appreciate you testing. Sometimes it works fine. I just can’t isolate what triggers it. Will keep testing.

#loveyourneighbours
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2020, 08:37 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Thanks really appreciate you testing. Sometimes it works fine. I just can’t isolate what triggers it. Will keep testing.

#loveyourneighbours
I'll keep testing as well especially since in your case sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. This week I'll keep it on SSD at all times and that should give me more opportunities to see if I can get it to fail as well.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      07-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #5
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

No problems with mine running a 2tb Samsung pm981 via USB case and USB C 3.2. Every rare occasion music would skip but that has happened in all my BMWs for the past 6-7 years.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      07-17-2020, 12:00 AM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I'll keep testing as well especially since in your case sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. This week I'll keep it on SSD at all times and that should give me more opportunities to see if I can get it to fail as well.
Update on my end with about a week and a half of testing and at least about 10 drives in the car I've only had one issue that may be similar to yours. Basically, the car fired up, went to my iDrive home screen (which has Media on the left and a zoomed NAV screen on the right) and the media reported something along the lines of "no source". So I'm batting about a 90% success rate with one 10% outlier. Not sure if that was a gremlin or an issue so will continue to keep the Media source exclusively on my SSD in the console for another couple of weeks.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      07-17-2020, 12:57 AM   #7
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Bingo. That's it. Same experience for me - it is every now and then. I am still trying to find the trigger event. Have ruled out a few items, but still working on it. Thank you mate.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 07:04 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Ozzie8 The issue reared its head again today after at least a month plus but this time when I parked the car it was on Sirius XM vs the USB SSD. Hence, it is a universal bug and not necessarily associated with the USB input. I can't say that any variables changed given I had remotely started the car and on entry discovered the lack of media/audio. Over the past several weeks I've remotely started the car with zero issues on the media/audio front both with a USBC and Sirius XM source so I'd rule that out as a factor.

Side note being as I took the attached picture I explained to my wife that I have a friend in Australia (although we've personally never met I count you as such) tracking the bug on our M850i's. She of course commented on us being a bunch of geeks but when I showed her how the USB source had been the connection point to-date it landed on my last play which just happened to be "Hot For Teacher" from Van Halen's 1984 master recording in high resolution FLAC.

My wife being a teacher (and a hot one at that) stated "turn it up" when she saw the song title. So I did the left thumb gesture to skip back to the beginning and cranked it up. It is the only time I've been in the car with the wife and the B&W at 60%. The intro drum track was absolutely glorious. In fact for all the nay sayers out there regarding B&W bass response it proved you all wrong.
Attached Images

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 08-21-2020 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #9
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

I'm joining the club. I've been getting the "no source" media bug from time to time for the past few weeks. I only listen to XM (don't judge) or playlists stored in the iDrive system. Sometimes, the media system will decide that it wants to listen to whatever I accessed last from iDrive, so it just switches itself to that (there may be a CarPlay bug at work here). Other times, when I start up the car - bingo - "no source" until I choose one, usually something from Presets. And every now and then, while on the road, the source just...terminates itself. (I'm still carrying the despised 03/2020.30. And, after spending months debugging it - or mostly debugging it - I'm not about to update it just to avoid this glitch.)
- Retired: Three Lexuses.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 08-22-2020 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      08-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #10
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Yes continues to be an issue for me. I have overcome it (or at least made it easier to recover) by using the numbered programmable buttons. So button ‘1’ is my USB source, and when I press it immediately restores to the last track I was playing on my USB drive.
Appreciate 0