M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion touch screen

06-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

touch screen

so now that the coupe and ragtop are gone, looks like they are getting rid of the knobs too. all digital touchscreens in the future?

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/06/23/b...r-touchscreen/
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
so now that the coupe and ragtop are gone, looks like they are getting rid of the knobs too. all digital touchscreens in the future?

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/06/23/b...r-touchscreen/
That would be silly and even ignorant—let's hope they realize so; there are plenty of disgruntled reviews complaining about Audi and Porsche.

What are you talking about wrt/ the Coupe and Vert? I heard this rumor early on but assumed—based on ordering guides and the like—that it was indeed just a rumor.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
That would be silly and even ignorant—let's hope they realize so; there are plenty of disgruntled reviews complaining about Audi and Porsche.

What are you talking about wrt/ the Coupe and Vert? I heard this rumor early on but assumed—based on ordering guides and the like—that it was indeed just a rumor.
Absolutely agree, i.e., there is nothing like hard buttons vs full touch screen. The iDrive controller honed over a decade plus is what I consider the pinnacle of Infotainment control. I test drove an Audi S7 (in prep for keeping the 2020 RS5 in the short list) and although the Infotainment was leaps beyond Lexus' absolute catastrophe I for one didn't dig the total touchscreen aspect. I suspect that the driving force is the Tesla influence considering they are total touchscreen.

As for the Coupe's and Convertibles, at least they made the 2021 cut so now the bogey is 2022 in regards to the rumor mill. My money is on them making it but it all may come down to 2021 model year sales.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 06-24-2020 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2020, 11:14 PM   #4
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Yes I'm with you brothers. In addition to the points above, whenever I get into my friends Tesla, the first thing I always notice is the finger print marks and dust/muck across his big screen. He's not a grub either. So one of the problems BMW will need to solve is a mark free surface, should they decide to head down this path.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Yes I'm with you brothers. In addition to the points above, whenever I get into my friends Tesla, the first thing I always notice is the finger print marks and dust/muck across his big screen. He's not a grub either. So one of the problems BMW will need to solve is a mark free surface, should they decide to head down this path.
Funny you mention that as there are a few things I do via the iDrive touch screen as they are a faster path vs the controller or voice. Of course then I notice the fingerprints, etc. when the lighting in the cabin highlights them. I keep one of my Adam's Single Soft Microfiber Towels in the backseat just for this purpose.
Appreciate 2
limeypride4418.50
      06-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Funny you mention that as there are a few things I do via the iDrive touch screen as they are a faster path vs the controller or voice. Of course then I notice the fingerprints, etc. when the lighting in the cabin highlights them. I keep one of my Adam's Single Soft Microfiber Towels in the backseat just for this purpose.
Likewise.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #7
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Well, Mercedes with MBUX replaced their wheel/trackpad with a haptic track/touchpad and this thing sucks...

Still, I use that trackpad over the touch screen or voice.

Interestingly, the new S-Class appears to have a huge HUD. That, alone with voice could make a difference.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #8
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Saw this purported S-Class preview.
Name:  2021-mercedes-s-class-interior-next-gen-spy-shot-e752.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  65.9 KB
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

It is rare that I hate everything about a car's interior, but that one would make the cut.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 02:54 PM   #10
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Attachment 2351092
That's the one. Based on the cut-out, the HUD could be 3-6 times the size of the new GLE HUD (which is a bit larger than the 8 series one).

I love HUD's, especially at speed. Just requires non-polarized sunglasses...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #11
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
It is rare that I hate everything about a car's interior, but that one would make the cut.
Will have to see it in the flesh to have an opinion...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #12
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
That's the one. Based on the cut-out, the HUD could be 3-6 times the size of the new GLE HUD (which is a bit larger than the 8 series one).

I love HUD's, especially at speed. Just requires non-polarized sunglasses...
Found HUD distracting on test drives so a certain Z4 patiently awaiting an ocean voyage is without. Will adapt next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #13
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Attachment 2351092
awesome, that looks sleek and clean!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 08:31 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Found HUD distracting on test drives so a certain Z4 patiently awaiting an ocean voyage is without. Will adapt next time.
To late for the Z4 but as they say hindsight is 20-20. When I custom ordered my wife's 2017 X5 I included the HUD but only after I could verify that it could be engaged or disengaged via the drivers profile. The reason being my wife also found it distracting, etc. when she was taking test drives. However, in less than a month she asked for me to activate it on her profile as well. You can completely ignore it or just leverage it for the PSL, switching radio presets (right thumb scroll) as they are displayed or the value-add of the navigational cues without ever taking your eyes off the road.

Looking forward to pics of the Z4 when it lands and I know all to well regarding the ocean voyage anticipation after two builds for my M850i. FYI there is a Bimmerpost posting on how to track the car, etc. while on the train, ship, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:28 PM   #15
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To late for the Z4 but as they say hindsight is 20-20. When I custom ordered my wife's 2017 X5 I included the HUD but only after I could verify that it could be engaged or disengaged via the drivers profile. The reason being my wife also found it distracting, etc. when she was taking test drives. However, in less than a month she asked for me to activate it on her profile as well. You can completely ignore it or just leverage it for the PSL, switching radio presets (right thumb scroll) as they are displayed or the value-add of the navigational cues without ever taking your eyes off the road.

Looking forward to pics of the Z4 when it lands and I know all to well regarding the ocean voyage anticipation after two builds for my M850i. FYI there is a Bimmerpost posting on how to track the car, etc. while on the train, ship, etc.
Name:  apollon630.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  92.3 KB
Loading day carrier shot. Anticipate August delivery. Several calculated build omissions because it's planned as more of a transition than a keeper. Believe I made good decisions. TBD. Planning a few cosmetic mods. 5 SLs are a tough act to follow.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 10:38 PM   #16
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Attachment 2353974
Loading day carrier shot. Anticipate August delivery. Several calculated build omissions because it's planned as more of a transition than a keeper. Believe I made good decisions. TBD. Planning a few cosmetic mods. 5 SLs are a tough act to follow.
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:33 PM   #17
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Nice!
K Line Apollon Highway is on the right. Capacity for 7,625 vehicles. Only in port for a day or so. Kind of astounding.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2020, 09:29 PM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Attachment 2353974
That makes perfect sense for a transition vs a keeper.

Quote:
K Line Apollon Highway is on the right. Capacity for 7,625 vehicles. Only in port for a day or so. Kind of astounding.
Given that you're in FL once the ship makes its way to the US East Coast your Z4 should be stop #2 or #3 but that just depends on if there are any cars on-board BMW will deliver through Baltimore. If not your stop #2 as the closest VDC to your location is in Brunswick Georgia. Since you placed the order on the Z4 it should be a priority 1 and spend 1 to 3 days tops to be processed at the VDC after clearing customs.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 09:55 PM   #19
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Given that you're in FL once the ship makes its way to the US East Coast your Z4 should be stop #2 or #3 but that just depends on if there are any cars on-board BMW will deliver through Baltimore. If not your stop #2 as the closest VDC to your location is in Brunswick Georgia. Since you placed the order on the Z4 it should be a priority 1 and spend 1 to 3 days tops to be processed at the VDC after clearing customs.
Priority 1. Brunswick ETA 7/21. May reach store in July but still shooting for August.

Exciting news today:
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1736083
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 06:25 PM   #20
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Look forward to pics....
Appreciate 1